Island Creek Oyster Bar
500 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
Kenmore Square / Fenway
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Island Creek Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.islandcreekoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 6175325300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Sewall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Island Creek Oyster Bar
Island Creek Oyster Bar is named simply after our farmer, built on the ideal of bringing guests closer to the farm. Chef Jeremy Sewall offers a daily changing menu with a raw bar featuring Island Creek Oysters and an updated, seasonal selection of New England seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Island Creek Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Kenmore Square / Fenway ›
Island Creek Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
411 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (253)special occasion (186)hot spot (183)vibrant bar scene (170)good for groups (136)neighborhood gem (122)notable wine list (106)romantic (100)late-night find (66)great for lunch (51)great for brunch (50)kid-friendly (14)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- crmimiVIPDined on 9/9/2014oysters were excellent as usual. fish sandwich was very good, but the fried clams were gritty and clam chowder was not very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 9/9/2014Island Creek Oyster Bar is a fabulous restaurant. I love the oysters! I had Moonshoals and Island Creeks this time as well as salmon tartare and bluefish pate. My friend ordered Faroe Island salmon for her entree. The service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Wonderful - Must RepeatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2014Service was outstanding, and food was delightful. The salmon entree was the highlight of our meal. I asked details about a cocktail - the recipe was written out and returned with style. This was going above and beyond and on top of already excellent service. I will be looking for an opportunity to return.
- Well Below ExpectationsJoebusinessdinerDined on 9/9/2014Our reservation was for 4:30 as our party was going to the Red Sox game after dinner. We were 5 minutes early and we were made to wait at the bar where we were summarily ignored. We waited well past 4:30 while the staff set up the restaurant (really.. they didn't know people were coming?). Our waiter Joe was very good and no complaints there. All of the food ordered was increadibly substandard. My fried clams (Ipswich they say on the menu .. must be "frozen in Ipswich "Ohio") were "scrawny" and chewy like rubber bands... Yes, I'm from New England, live on the ocean and know good seafood... this was terrible.. My guest from North Carolina had the mussels which again were terrible (he was polite but I asked o taste).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2014I have been to this restaurant many times. I have never been disappointed. The food and wine are both great and it is so much fun to see the chic and bustling crowd. It is in walking distance to Fenway Park and next to one of the finest Hotels in Boston - the Hotel Commonwealth. Staying at the hotel and eating at the restaurnt = my favorite evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014Oysters are exceptional. Food came out slow, but we were made whole and more. It's now up there as one of my most favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Glad I found thisKatieDined on 9/7/2014Great for seafood! Awesome oysters and great beer and wine list!Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceBostonDiner365VIPDined on 9/6/2014The good was outstanding, the service was terrible. Our food took about 1 hour to come, and our waitress needed to be flagged down every time we needed something. Very disappointing given the price of the food.Special Features:
- Best oyster barOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/6/2014We were happy to return to Island Creek Oyster Bar. Still exceptional food and service. Oyster selection is first-rate. Clam chowder was excellent, as was the herb-crusted cod. Yummy peach cobbler for dessert. Interesting wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Oysters and crab cake was the best. Entree was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish galorelennykDined on 9/3/2014We started out on a low note with the music so loud that we could not talk at the table. When asked to lower the sound, we were obliged; however, the music got louder as the restaurant filled. I started with a half dozen oysters from a list of about 16. They were properly briny and came with the usual accompaniments. There was also an excellent whitefish cerviche with the correct amount of citrus and spice. The Marha's Vineyard black cod came as a whole deep fried fish. It was difficult to bane as it was very crispy but we managed with few bones. We also had a grilled stripped bass that came in a sauce with sausage and Israeli couscous. Tasty but a bit spicy detracting from the freshness of the fish.Special Features:
- awesomeSatisfiedDined on 9/2/2014It was a very pleasurable experience. Staff was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceFlavourFavouredDined on 9/1/2014Everything about our evening at Island Creek Oyster Bar was exemplar. Staff were knowledgeable and attentive. The food was fresh and delicious. We will definitely recommend the restaurant and return there, when in Boston again.Special Features:
- Oh the OystersSlimDined on 9/1/2014We were dining here for the 1st time and it was our 10th Wedding Anniversary. Food was great especially the really fresh and tasty oysters. The meal was just excellent from beginning to end. There was also a very nice selection of drinks to pair w/ the meal. We had a great time and enjoyed our meal. Definitely lives up to the hype.Special Features:
- mtnesterDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed the experience. Went to The Hawthorn to wait and enyoyed the manager Nick Frank, the meal was very good with an education on the finer points of oysters, decor was intersesting with a story on every wall and interesting designnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring friendsbstnbndDined on 8/28/2014Good food good cocktails. Bustling atmosphere. Great spot for before or after a sox game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place you will rememberyoda2013Dined on 8/28/2014I am a fan of fresh sea food, and this place has it. The raw bar selection is very good and the ceviche was a gem. I ate a whole black bass and it made me feel like I was eating at the beach. My wife got the Casserole and it was good but we both agreed it would have been better to order from the selection of fresh fish dishes. The entire staff, from the valet to the servers, is very friendly and thoughtful. They went the extra mile to print "Happy Anniversary" in our menus. They won a new customer.Special Features:
- A must go to for seafoodSheppup1VIPDined on 8/28/2014Large assortment of oysters, delicious shellfish, and very good seafood entrees. We loved it so much we booked it again for 2 nights later. Definitely a top 10 seafood restaurant in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic nightNYCgalDined on 8/24/2014Delicious oysters and raw bar and really great, friendly service. I tried the lobster roe noodle entry, and found it to have an odd, reheated quality to it. Everything else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/24/2014Island Creek Oyster Bar is one of our favorite restaurants! I ordered 3 varieties of oysters this time: Island Creeks, Moonshoals, and Chathams. All of them were delicious, but the Chathams were the largest and the tastiest! My husband ordered the striped bass ceviche and a bluefish entree. I chose the tuna tartare and a crab cake with a cucumber and tomato salad. Both the service and the food were fabulous! We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014As usual, the food was outstanding, and among the eight of us who dined together, we sampled almost everything on the menu. The service, however, has gone from bad to worse. While many servers attended to our table, none of them did it well, and there was a noticeable lack of coordination. We repeatedly had to ask for just about everything, and in the case of a beer, we had to ask three times. It finally came, when the diner who had requested it had finished his meal. Although every server was pleasant, no one really seemed to care, maybe because the gratuity was predetermined. If we'd received any service, we would have tipped considerably more!Special Features:
- BrunchDesertbabeDined on 8/24/2014Food was good and the selection was varied for drinks as well.Didn't enjoy the ambience as was seated near a little girl that cried constantly.Parents just sat enjoying their meal.Restaurant wasn't that full but they couldn't move us.Nice decor but it took too long for the waiter to help us every time and the meal took forever.The waiter kept disappearing and we got annoyed.It's a shame cause the food is not bad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its all in the details....ChrisDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were celebrating a major anniversary here. When we sat down, the waiter handed us our menus, and they were customized to wish us each a happy anniversary. Its great when a busy restaurant like this takes note of the little details, its such an easy thing to do, yet not many places do it. Superb service plus terrific and memorable food makes for a great experience that you want to repeat in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night outsjinjpDined on 8/20/2014raw bar was exceptional, service was fantastic. Would return in a minuteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It gets better everytimeDandDined on 8/19/2014We have been to Island Creek several previous times and the best meal I ever had there or anywhere else was this past Tuesday night. The Island Creek Oysters were the best, the clam chowder was perfect, and the Wild striped bass entree was superb. We ordered a nice bottle of French Chablis and that too was near perfect- right temp, nice glasses and a very fine wine. The service and ambience were just right. And everyone seemed to enjoy their desserts which I passed on. Island Creek has set a new standard for a New England oyster/fish restaurant.Special Features:
- Seafood comfort5jbsinaDined on 8/18/2014Even though we (vacationers) were lost and arrived more than thirty minutes late for our reservation, the staff was very accommodating and sat us quickly. We ate a wonderful dinner in a very relaxed atmosphere. All good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best oyster barNickDined on 8/17/2014This place erased our horrible experience at Union Oyster House. Island Creek's signature oysters were some of the best I've ever eaten, the service was top notch and the ambiance was comfortable.Special Features:
- Fantastic!tspearsDined on 8/17/2014I'll never get tired of coming here, just an amazing place. Usually the best places for seafood and raw bars are these little shacks in the middle of nowhere. Island Creek combines fantastic food with a beautiful atmosphere. The wine list is spectacular, and I can't say enough good things about the service. Even the chemex coffee they serve with desert shows that every detail of your meal is the highest quality.Special Features:
- Very disappointing servicepeacetoallVIPDined on 8/16/2014We have been to Island Creek numerous times, and one of the highlights is usually the outstanding service. This was certainly not the case this time. The main waiter was rude and bordered on obnoxious. This was when we could get his attention, which wasn't very often. Furthermore, we waited over one hour after appetizers for the next course. Most of the food was, as usual, outstanding, expect for the halibut, which was way overcooked. We pride ourselves on establishing a rapport with the wait staff, as a friendly and helpful waiter/waitress adds a lot to the dining experience, so I don't write this review lightly. We will go back, but we will make sure never to have the same waiter.Special Features:
- All in all, a wonderful nightFridaynightfoodieDined on 8/14/2014The food and drinks were delicious and the service was friendly and helpful. The cocktail list was not descriptive, so be adventurous and try something new! The oysters are fantastic, sample all the different regions for a variety of flavor. The monkfish was amazing and the lobster roll, while very good, was a bit heavy on mayo. A delightful surprise to see angel food cake on the desert menu and I highly recommend it! We had a great night with great drinks and delicious food and I would recommend this restaurant to my friends!Special Features:
- Great food but...lisaVIPDined on 8/13/2014I love the food here but it is quite expensive, even for Boston. A small-ish bowl of clam chowder is $11 and a romaine salad is $16. Low marks for ambience because our area smelled horribly of dirty mop water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Took my girlfriend here for her Birthday. She's a huge fan of oysters(I am not) so she was very happy with the seafood selection. I got the Roasted Chicken and it was delicious! Good ambiance and the wait staff was very accommodating, helping me surprise my girlfriend with a birthday desert and candle.Special Features:
- Love this placejjwenzellDined on 8/13/2014This is my favorite spot in Boston. I love the oysters, clam chowder, and lobster rolls. Also, I had the wild Red Snapper Special last time which was phenomenal. I even had a signature cocktail, the Dark and Stormy, and absolutely loved it. Will try to come back every time I am in town.Special Features:
- The Cheers of Seafood RestaurantsPetersonDavisVIPDined on 8/13/2014On our second visit to Island Creek Oyster Bar they remembered my family. On our third they remembered our names. Now, they know so much about us. They care so much about their customers that they take the time to get to know them. They also have amazing food and put service above everything else! We have been there at least 30 times and have never had anything short of an exceptional experience...to be continued!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Treat!LiterateDogDined on 8/13/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. I took him here last year as well. I'm really a big fan of ICOB. The hostess and servers are always so friendly and helpful. Plus, the food is excellent. I can highly recommend this restaurant to anyone interested in a great meal in a beautiful setting. My husband has demanded that we not wait until his next birthday to return!Special Features:
- TeraDined on 8/12/2014Great experience! Fun restaurant, vib and delicious food!Special Features:
- Great food and vibeFabulousVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food was fantastic. Our server Jill was great! I live in Teaxs and make sure Islnad Creek is on the top of my list when I go to BostonSpecial Features:
- Yogi was rightHemulVIPDined on 8/11/2014The Red Sox were out of town, which meant you could valet your car, and we had not been here for awhile. The Yogi Berra quote "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." starting ringing very true almost immediately. We were seated right at the exit to the ?kitchen/supply area and between the horde of rushing servers and the constant "Behind, Behind" it felt like having dinner in the "Chopped" kitchen. Whatever you do, refuse to sit in that seat. The food was very good as always, but a tad too rich for a seafood restaurant. The service was attentive and involved at least seven different people, which led to the inevitable lack of communication and dropped orders (two drink orders were late or did not arrive).I would recommend this to a friend.
- NorthYorkersDined on 8/10/2014Arrived an hour early for our reservation, but the team was very accommodating and seated us at a tall table in the bar area (our choice vs waiting). Very lively and fun, though the table was a bit too small to share a meal and we seemed to occasionally get "forgotten" by our waiter amongst all the bustle. All the seafood dishes we had were excellent. Special mention for the "no shell" PEI mussels and the tuna tartare that the staff brought us as an "extra" surprise. Shrimp cocktail was good but a bit pricey at $3 per shrimp. The chocolate/caramel pot de creme my daughter ordered for dessert was to DIE for. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ups and downsrepeatVIPDined on 8/10/2014Great raw bar items -- that is the reason to come here. Service is less than ideal which can influence an evening. We had different people in the group with different patterns of orders and therefore asked for service in a particular pattern. Did it happen? No. Did it ruin the taste of the food? No. But it did take away from the overall pleasure.