Island Creek Oyster Bar
500 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
Kenmore Square / Fenway
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Island Creek Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.islandcreekoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 6175325300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Sewall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Island Creek Oyster Bar
Island Creek Oyster Bar is named simply after our farmer, built on the ideal of bringing guests closer to the farm. Chef Jeremy Sewall offers a daily changing menu with a raw bar featuring Island Creek Oysters and an updated, seasonal selection of New England seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Island Creek Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Kenmore Square / Fenway ›
Island Creek Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
422 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (265)hot spot (197)special occasion (181)vibrant bar scene (170)good for groups (135)neighborhood gem (128)notable wine list (115)romantic (98)late-night find (62)great for lunch (46)great for brunch (42)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Oysters! Oysters!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014Wonderful oyster selection from local farms. FRESH! Service great...but noisy. Not a great "discussion" place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too many optionsKozmoDined on 10/19/2014Very limited menu for lunch. Otherwise food is OK, ambience is very good. Never believe oysters have origin and farms so it was neat.Special Features:
- One of Boston's bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We visit Boston every other year for the Clemson - BC football game. We discovered this restaurant two years ago and because it had great reviews and was the T stop was on our way back from BC to Downtown, we decided to give it a try. We had no reservations, so the wait was long, but well worth it. They have a wonderful selection of oysters on the half shell and many amazing entrees. My suggestion is to make a reservation well in advance if you don't want to wait. We had another great dining experience this year, but we did have to wait again. When you don't know what time the football game will be played until two weeks out, you can't get a reservation on a Saturday night until very late. You will not be disappointed with the food here.Special Features:
- Date Night FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/16/2014This is my husband's and my go-to spot. When we lived in the area, we went here for date nights and special occasions. Now that we no longer live in the area, it is the only place we ensure is booked in advance of our trip. Our must-haves are the oysters and the honey biscuit for the table. I tend to stick to the fish dishes, while my husband tends to like the fried seafood or chowder.Special Features:
- PerfectionBennyDined on 10/16/2014Between two servers, and background (virtually unnoticable) spotters, our dishers were always cleared within minutes of finishing, and we never wanted for anything. The food was decadent. The prices were very reasonable for the high, high quality. Everything was simply delicious (even things I usually don't like, but tried because they were so highly recommended). The servers were extremely friendly, knowledgable and totally on point throughout the evening. My favorite part, surprisingly, was the clam chowder. I have never had its equal.Special Features:
- Stand-out seafood in a seafood townSTLFoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014Dined here as an out-of-towner. Had read countless great reviews and they were all true! Everything we ate was gold! Starting with poppy seed bread, freshly sliced and served with a slightly cayenned butter. The lobster roll was much bigger than I expected, and FULL of big chunks of lobster meat. Just the right amount of mayo. Fried clams were right on spot with big, meaty chuncks of clam perfectly fried to avoid any greasiness. Tartar sauce complimented it well. Lobster bisque and clam chowder were both amazing! LOVED the bits of biscuit in the chowder. BUT the BEST part of the meal: the BISCUIT!!! Warm, crispy yet soft, with a small puddle of honey on the bottom. Oh. Wow. I would come back just for that! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- A sleeperOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/14/2014I was really surprised how good the food was. Everything was prepared very well.Special Features:
- great great greatakmtnbikeDined on 10/14/2014Excellent evening at the Island Creek. Every element from the staff, menu, music, and electic cocktails made for a perfect dinner. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!StephDined on 10/13/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday. Upon arrival the server told him happy birthday and gave us a special menu with happy birthday on it. The food was phenomenal,we of course has oysters, clam strips, buttermilk biscuit, the fried oyster sandwich which was my favorite. For dinner I had the bluefish and my boyfriend has the seafood special which had shrimp. lobster, scallops, clams and fish in a delicious broth. The hazelnut ice scream cake was so good. I love this place, it has a great ambiance, amazing food that is delicious and savory and the staff is very friendly, prompt and attentive. We are definitely going back,Special Features:
- One of the bestKDBalVIPDined on 10/12/2014If you want excellent seafood and excellent service...this is the place to go. The lobster roll, clam chowder, and fried clams were all excellent. Definitely will be back.Special Features:
- Great Oyster List & ServiceEschmaDined on 10/11/2014My boyfriend and I sat at the bar and enjoyed our 2 dozen oyster experience very much (trying a new one each time!). The bar staff was great and were able to chat with us for a bit because it was late on Saturday night and the place wasn't packed anymore. Also the bar has an excellent beer selection. Will definitely return for dinner or just more oysters!Special Features:
- Great Oysters!luvseafood77Dined on 10/11/2014They offered a great selection of oysters and served up promptly with great sauces to accompany. The wine list was great and the atmosphere was friendly and informative. A great dining experience.Special Features:
- Love the food heremomofaharemDined on 10/10/2014We went here last year and loved the food. This year I went to Boston for a day with friends and couldn't wait to go back for dinner. It was just as good and our friends loved it too. The oysters are soooo good. I got the lobster roe noodles with chunks of lobster and short rib. One of the best meals I have ever had. The drinks are fun but the waitress had to explain them and she was even struggling understanding what was in them. The only downer was that there was construction going on next door so as they were digging the pylons into the ground, the building shook. That was not Island Creek's fault though. But it did take away from the experience. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Outstanding!JD10Dined on 10/9/2014Came here from a word of mouth recommendation and it totally lived up to what I anticiapated and more! After living on the South Shore for a few years, the restaurant brought that cape/vineyard feel into the city through their restaurant, along with some of the freshest catches. The ambiance was great, and for being packed on a Thursday night, wasnt overly loud at all. The hostesses and wait staff were superb, and their food was melt in your mouth fantastic, I would highly recommend the muscles in white wine sauce for an appetizer. There wasnt a thing I could find that wasnt spot on, but I would say that if you are coming here with a larger party, or on the weekend, make a reservation first and save yourself a wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta Gobms1VIPDined on 10/7/2014We were in Boston visiting, and heard from 4+ people that Island Creek was a must. They weren't wrong. We were late for our reservation due to a mix up on the green line, but the hostess didn't give us any problems and sat us in a fantastic table within minutes. The service was fantastic, we gave our waitress a description of the flavor profile we enjoyed in our oysters and she brought a phenomenal selection. With two servers in rotation through the evening, our drinks were never empty and our experience was fantastic. The food was incredible, highly recommend any of the fresh seafood entrees as the menu changes daily.Special Features:
- Excellent!PurpleBeastDined on 10/7/2014Best oysters I have ever had. The lobster roe pasta was to die for. Highly recommended....I'll be a regular when in Beantown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every single time: 5 starsgoldybesnackinDined on 10/7/2014Since moving to Boston in June of 2013, ICOB has been my most frequented restaurant and it NEVER disappoints. I often have leadership from my organization visiting in town, and Island Creek is the place that we go every time. The staff is accommodating, friendly, and knowledgeable. I get a kick out of the depth in which they go into their beer list as well as their oyster selection. The decor is enticing and the food is perfect... every time. HIGHLY recommended for locals and out of town guests. HINT - didn't know about Hawthorne's for my first few visits. If you have a wait at ICOB or Eastern Standard, hop in their for a drink.Special Features:
- Unique ExperienceGaryDined on 10/6/2014For apitizers, with oysters from different locations and the staff being able to reccomend oysters based on taste preference, this was an outstanding dining experience. Also, the main courses and deserts were fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite resturants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced decent foodbostonbrickDined on 10/6/2014I had a "Seafood Casserole"which was really a bisque, should've ordered their signature lobster roe noodles, still not cheap. Wife's fish was cold.Would not return here...too costly.Special Features:
- amazing attention to detailnwfoodwriterDined on 10/6/2014I'm a food-first diner, but the service at ICOB was brilliant. Their commitment to training staff clearly evident. As for the food, bright fresh oysters. Spectacular chowder, fine table bread with a honey cayenne butter, and a perfectly cooked Blue Fish that has become my new standard for fish preparation. The lobster roll was excellent, but possibly a bit on the fussy side.Special Features:
- Great oystersSteve1Dined on 10/5/2014Excellent oysters with interesting selection. Dinner was terrific overall but fried clams overdone and chewy. Very noisy but funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LikegoodfoodDined on 10/5/2014Had been here previously and had very good food but food was very disappointing this time-- french fries were cold-- like cardboard--Special Features:
- MartiniSineadDined on 10/4/2014The food is excellent. We just wish they had Grey Goose vodka and vermouth to make a better martini.Special Features:
- Young Couple Treated Like RoyaltyAdamDined on 10/2/2014The oysters were outstanding. The bread and butter was just as good. If you order oysters I recommend a glass (or bottle) of the Muscadet. We missed our reservation but were able to be seated with no issue. My brother recommended sitting at the bar, and I am glad we did. The table would have been fine from the looks of it but the service and ambience was great at the bar.Special Features:
- food was just okFBECDined on 10/1/2014Nice place, great service. Food was just ok. Fish I got was a great piece of fish but didn't do much with it. I'm not a great cool but could have done it at homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Amazing food. Great atmosphere. Must haves... Clams, oyster sliders, island creek oysters, crab cakes. My friend and I wanted to go back the next day and try everything that we couldn't on our first pass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything about IKOB!JamieVIPDined on 10/1/2014The oysters are amazing and the staff is extremely knowledgeable! We enjoyed everything about our visit.Special Features:
- Great meal!BelaSDined on 9/30/2014Had a fantastic experience! the service was great, food delicious and atmosphere (good music playing, not too loud) and we could hear each other talking...even though we didn't order dessert a special birthday treat was sent at the end of the meal! Awesome!Special Features:
- was not worth the waitDavekDined on 9/28/2014We tried a number of times to get this reservation ( we don't get to Boston to often). The seating was quick, drinks quick, Appetizers quick, an hour later still no dinner, manager apologized, the order went missing. We didn't want to wait at that point, we left.
- Terrible servicejj2denverVIPDined on 9/28/2014Very disappointing service from every moment after we were seated. Our waiter went to ask what rum was available and didn't return for 20 minutes even though we hadn't ordered anything. Then as our drinks were finally delivered we asked for a dessert menu but we never got one. Of the three meals, one was ice cold and had clearly been sitting waiting for the others. It took almost two hours for a drink and entree. The manager removed the cold meal from the bill but it doesn't make up for he lousy experience.
- Oysters & WineCplummer4VIPDined on 9/28/2014We came in after a big Red Sox-Yankees game, and the place was packed! I'd suggest making reservations... We made ours two weeks out, just in case, & we were right. Probably one of the best oyster restaurants anywhere in the US, & an incredibly deep wine selection to pair. We had terrific service, loved the vibrant ambience, & indulged in 2 dozens oysters of various origin. Loved the local MA oysters. Two items not to miss, besides the oysters, are the oyster sliders (yes!), and the lobster roe pasta w/ short ribs (soo savory... Salty and fatty). We actually booked this place because of the reviews on their lobster roll, but sadly we were so stuffed on other unique foodie items that we didn't even order one. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Fun reunion with a college friendlulu88Dined on 9/28/2014Beyond delicious selection of shellfish fresh fresh. Wonderful rhubarb dacquari-tart and refreshing. The seafood casserole was prepared with care and portions of seafood contained in the casserole were correct for one person. The coleslaw was crunchy and tasty. Would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Cool spotAslootVIPDined on 9/28/2014Cool atmosphere, I liked the background music. Great selection in menu. Lobster bisque was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Great selection of oysters, and beer. Interesting signature cocktails... everything with a twist on a classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters Galore!leeleeDined on 9/23/2014Great variety of oysters that were delicious. Our waitress was incredibly knowledgeable regarding taste each type of oyster , e.g., briny, savory, grassy, sweet, and we enjoyed our taste adventure immensely.Special Features:
- Not a Five Star ExperienceNotAFanDined on 9/23/2014The hostess and the wait staff were attentive, friendly and efficient. The raw oysters were excellent but everything after the raw appetizer was disappointment. My expectations for fresh seafood were high after seeing this restaurant holds a 4.8 star rating. I sent back the steamed clams because the sauce was way too salty! Apparently the head chef agreed with my verdict and muscles were ordered. Even with a special request, the kitchen was unable to steam the muscles in a clear white wine broth without cream. I was equally disappointed in my main seafood casserole that I had been assured was truly a divine signature dish...salt was too noticeable a flavor in every dish presented.
- Great restaurantjipgsdDined on 9/23/2014We have eaten here a couple times before; the first time was awesome, second time seemed less impressive- perhaps because we sat at a table? - seems like (at least for us, we have the best time when we sit at the bar as we did the first and most recent time.) We do arrive early, since we we have been going to a Red Sox game, so the bar is definitely an option. Oysters are always just the best! The portion for the lobster roe noodles seemed larger this last time, which was great. It did seem rather small for the price before, but still tastes just as great as always- portion is just perfect now. The bartenders are wonderful and very attentive. We will definitely keep coming back.Special Features:
- ParmaVIPDined on 9/21/2014Very disappointing, ordered lobster bisque, no seasoning, no salt, nothing. All the food that came out was not seasoned at all. The swordfish was dry, sadly, nothing we ordered was seasoned, just a waste of food.
- DisappointingShannonDined on 9/20/2014Interesting ambiance, but disappointed with some of the dishes. Cocktail shrimp were totally overlooked: pretty rookie mistake for a famous seafood restaurant. My 'famed' lobster roll was served on a bun that was cold and stale! - lobster stuffing lacked flavour and chips were extremely oily. Lobster pasta was like warm, like it had been sitting and servers had forgotten to pick it up when it was hot. We had about 4 servers visit us, the one bringing our oysters app stropped and went back because our table hadn't been set up yet with condiments and bread. Sisappointing and overpriced - it was supposed to be the highlight meal of our Boston trip, but in the end I felt foolish for suggesting it.
- Not All Its Cracked Up to BeORD2BOSDined on 9/19/2014While the oysters are delicious and the bartenders are attentive, the service staff, if you sit a table, is a bit slow and inconsistent. Our service for food (i.e. oysters and lobster bisque to start the meal) took about 15-20 minutes. When we finally finished (almost 2 hours later for a two person meal) a random server that we had not seen before dropped off and took the check, even though our server was still there and picked up the paid check just before we left. I'd rather go to Eastern Standard and get the same oysters there.Special Features: