Island Creek Oyster Bar
500 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
Kenmore Square / Fenway
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Island Creek Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.islandcreekoysterbar.com/
- Phone: (617) 532-5300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Sewall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Island Creek Oyster Bar
Island Creek Oyster Bar is named simply after our farmer, built on the ideal of bringing guests closer to the farm. Chef Jeremy Sewall offers a daily changing menu with a raw bar featuring Island Creek Oysters and an updated, seasonal selection of New England seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Island Creek Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Kenmore Square / Fenway ›
Island Creek Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
404 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (271)hot spot (191)special occasion (178)vibrant bar scene (145)good for groups (135)neighborhood gem (115)notable wine list (114)romantic (96)late-night find (60)great for brunch (41)great for lunch (40)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- Top notch, upscale eateryKcirbuDined on 11/23/2014Went for brunch on busy Sunday in Boston. Were late. Accommodated with pleasure. Very modern, spacious restaurant. Excellent clams on half shell and lobster rolls. Service superb. Fast, friendly. Timing on all aspects was just right. Lobster rolls as good or better than other more famous spots in town, plus these guys take reservations. VG wine list too. Looked at Dinner Menu and there was a plethora of interesting, seldom seen fish entrees. Will repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceMargeauxDined on 11/22/2014My husband and I were visiting Boston for a birthday getaway and wanted a vibrant dining experience. Island Creek Oyster bar delivered: great food - very creative, wonderful flavors, fresh, and locally sourced. The service was impeccable - I had the feeling our waiter loved his job and was happy to serve us and answer our questions - perhaps because he knew he had a great product! The space felt energetic, hip, comfortable - not so hip that it might be intimidating to some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time hereFoodlover2VIPDined on 11/21/2014Celebrated my husbands 50th birthday dinner here & it was great! They customized the menu to read "for 50th birthday party" and also brought out a special desert with his name & birthday wishes on it. Very nice!! The food was great! My only complaint would be that it took a very long time between courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Cruzin0177VIPDined on 11/20/2014The food is sensational. Oysters are one the best to find while in Boston. I've been to Boston twice this year and both times I've made it a point to come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best oysters!MEOtheLeoVIPDined on 11/16/2014Pristine oysters; delicious seafood mains - Mrs. Bennett's seafood pie was savory, rich, and delicious! Service attentive - we felt special and well attended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you - great anniversary dinnerhotbreadDined on 11/15/2014The oyster slides are amazing - as was everything else. Thank you Island Creek Oyster Bar for making our anniversary special with specially printed menus and a surprise dessert - we weren't expecting it and were delighted. We will be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be my go to place for fish in Boston.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/14/2014Great shellfish. Super fresh and perfectly cooked (or raw) fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best oyseters ever!expectantdinerDined on 11/14/2014The variety and freshness of the raw bar oysters, coupled with the knowledgeable servers make for an unmatched oyster experience. I make it a point to always visit when I am in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special BirthdayFenwayNewbieDined on 11/12/2014I had noted in my opentable reservation that I would be celebrating my birthday here with my dad who had flown in from Seattle. Island Creek went up and beyond to make our dining experience special from personalizing the menus for my birthday to bringing my father reading glasses (since he forgot his) to a special desert compliments of the chef. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafoodBrandvirtuosoDined on 11/12/2014Best east coast oysters, lobster row pasta and oyster sliders. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Oysters we the best we ever had. Grest selection and freshfresh. Salads were uneventfulb. E Fish bouillabaisse was not a disappointment. Service was great at the beginning but dropped off as our entries where somehow lost as the restaurant got very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even with hiccups....CharlestownJoVIPDined on 11/10/2014The price of a glass of house white wine was $12 and under poured!!! , The main course was not what I ordered, the wait at the front door for 10 minutes whilst the manager finished his pep talk, all pail to insignificance when you see the attention to detail and consistency of the cooking. The attentiveness and knowledge the staff have of the menu was excellent (no doubt helped by the pep talk and lots of training) Our server was delightful and his "admission" to wrongly inputting the order showed great character and integrity, attributes that sum up Island Creek perfectly.Special Features:
- Fabulous 60th birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/9/2014Dinner here was wonderful-food was the best we have had in years, and service was great. We are definitely going back, we already invited some friends to join us! The birthday menu and candle with dessert was a nice touch (and thank you for not giving some awful birthday dessert, my husband picked his own dessert and the candle and "happy birthday" written on the plate was a nice surprise-very classy).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but little poor serviceAIK01Dined on 11/9/2014Lobster and Oyster were delicious, so we were very happy, but the service was not good since they did not come to our table that often.Special Features:
- OverwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2014Loud, crowded, food just ok & not worth wait or hassling with huge crowd on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Always terrificjr2204VIPDined on 11/7/2014We keep returning to Island Creek, and it's terrific every time -- fish of the best quality, sensitively prepared; excellent and unusual wines; service both knowledgeable and enthusiastic. It can be hard to hear yourself think sometimes, let alone keep up a conversation; but you still feel happy, given what you're eating and drinking ...Special Features:
- Good but not greatAmeliaDined on 11/7/2014No complaints per se but the food was just OK -- not a foodie's paradise by any means, and not a particularly large menu. The oysters, on the other hand, were the best we've ever had.Special Features:
- Boston 5 star restaurantOcardoDined on 11/6/2014This is my second time at this restaurant for me and my second trip to Boston. I will always make a point to come back here. The food here is outstanding. If you like seafood and are in Boston come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of my favourite Boston spotmcm111Dined on 11/5/2014for oysters and innovative yet traditional seafood, Island Creek consistently amazes us. also, it is a beautiful physical space. never tired of visiting... please get the oyster sliders!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always deliversCodyDined on 11/5/2014Fresh, cold delicious oysters. Check. Friendly, efficient service. Check. Amazing chowder and crab cakes. Check. This restaurant is run like a well-oiled machine with flair. Great staff, delicious food, a feeling of "happening" in the air. Always love it.Special Features:
- Fabulous!!JuneDined on 11/4/2014First time dining here...the waiter was very friendly and helpful. Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious:) Fantastic experience. We will be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea food lovers delightfrequenteaterDined on 11/4/2014Very nice sea food and a decent selection. Service was efficient and unobtrusive. We liked that it wasn't too noisy - you could actually talk with your dinner partner!Special Features:
- Great way to end our staymstanton580Dined on 11/2/2014This was our last meal in Boston and we were very happy with the food and the service. The ambience is really nice too! The oyster selection is great! My husband puts it at one of the best places we have eaten. This would be in the same park as a favorite we have in NYC and in Palm beach.Special Features:
- Fancy but funAllisonVIPDined on 11/2/2014I had been wanting to go to Island Creek for years and when my parents came to visit I took advantage of their generosity. The service was impeccable. They even brought a lovely dessert as it was to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:
- What a meal,WkendersDined on 10/31/2014Really enjoyed raw bar selection of oysters and monster sized shrimp. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood in townAlexKDined on 10/30/2014We've been to island creek multiple times and it never seizes to impress me. Starting from a really beautiful atmosphere, great attentive service, and then the food! We got oysters to start which are always amazing. For main I got stripped bass which was so delicious and my husband got blue fish. Both dishes perfectly prepared and seasoned. As a side we got a buttermilk biscuit...probably the best thing on the menu! Highly recommend for all the seafood lovers out there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!One4SplurgeDined on 10/26/2014Thanks OpenTable! Was able to get an early reservation where our hotel desk was not. This place was suggested by a friend and it did not disappoint. Oysters were fresh, food & wine were excellent. I personally wanted to try everything on the menu since it will be a long time before we come back to Boston from the west coast. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/26/2014Room is very nice and table spacing just right. Good oyster selection, fresh fish and a biscuits. Service good but slow at some points. Overall a great dinner and will return.Special Features:
- A tad overhyped; hit-or-miss dishesIngridDined on 10/26/2014I was looking forward to taking my mom here for her birthday brunch this past Sunday. Our server was attentive, cheerful, kind, and very helpful. The pastry basket was good as the pastries were still warm, but they weren't spectacular. We were a little upset by the fact that our food took about an hour to arrive, but at least they kept on refilling our coffee and water? The lobster roll was, as other reviewers have said, delicious. However, my mom's lobster omelette was extremely disappointing. There was barely any lobster in it, but our server was kind enough to bring over more (sauteed?) lobster for my mom. Yet, the cooked lobster was too salty. Also, the fried oyster for an extra $5 is NOT worth it. Overall a nice place to dine but...Special Features:
- Great fish and oystersacp2Dined on 10/23/2014Enter past huge racks of fresh oysters, ten varieties of the menu, and served expertly without shell fragments or left over muscle. Fresh fish cooked individually with contrasting flavors to accent. My bass was perfect resting on a mushroom broth with scallions. My date had the seafood casserole with huge lobster and fish pieces in a mild cream and tomato and vegetable sauce. Desert choices were fair but the banoffee pie stood out. Service educated about choices available and always handy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlohaDined on 10/22/2014Food was fabulous, but service was unusually slow. Appetizers came quickly but it took awhile for our main course to be served. Also waited a long time for the bill (we had to ask someone for it) and then had to get someone's attention to process our charge card. Other than that, it's one of my favorite places in back bay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningCaitZDined on 10/22/2014Great service' although our server was clearly overwhelmed, she managed all her tables fairly well and was thorough in her explanations. Awesome oysters, bluefish pate was delicious. Unimpressed with wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Oysters! Oysters!FoodiefrompaDined on 10/20/2014Wonderful oyster selection from local farms. FRESH! Service great...but noisy. Not a great "discussion" place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bjosVIPDined on 10/19/2014We walked from Copley square down Common Wealth and it was a nice walk- the restaurant is very metro and hip. Service was slow, but once things got moving, we had a wonderful time. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too many optionsKozmoDined on 10/19/2014Very limited menu for lunch. Otherwise food is OK, ambience is very good. Never believe oysters have origin and farms so it was neat.Special Features:
- One of Boston's bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We visit Boston every other year for the Clemson - BC football game. We discovered this restaurant two years ago and because it had great reviews and was the T stop was on our way back from BC to Downtown, we decided to give it a try. We had no reservations, so the wait was long, but well worth it. They have a wonderful selection of oysters on the half shell and many amazing entrees. My suggestion is to make a reservation well in advance if you don't want to wait. We had another great dining experience this year, but we did have to wait again. When you don't know what time the football game will be played until two weeks out, you can't get a reservation on a Saturday night until very late. You will not be disappointed with the food here.Special Features:
- Date Night Favoritecdubs28VIPDined on 10/16/2014This is my husband's and my go-to spot. When we lived in the area, we went here for date nights and special occasions. Now that we no longer live in the area, it is the only place we ensure is booked in advance of our trip. Our must-haves are the oysters and the honey biscuit for the table. I tend to stick to the fish dishes, while my husband tends to like the fried seafood or chowder.Special Features:
- PerfectionBennyDined on 10/16/2014Between two servers, and background (virtually unnoticable) spotters, our dishers were always cleared within minutes of finishing, and we never wanted for anything. The food was decadent. The prices were very reasonable for the high, high quality. Everything was simply delicious (even things I usually don't like, but tried because they were so highly recommended). The servers were extremely friendly, knowledgable and totally on point throughout the evening. My favorite part, surprisingly, was the clam chowder. I have never had its equal.Special Features:
- Stand-out seafood in a seafood townSTLFoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014Dined here as an out-of-towner. Had read countless great reviews and they were all true! Everything we ate was gold! Starting with poppy seed bread, freshly sliced and served with a slightly cayenned butter. The lobster roll was much bigger than I expected, and FULL of big chunks of lobster meat. Just the right amount of mayo. Fried clams were right on spot with big, meaty chuncks of clam perfectly fried to avoid any greasiness. Tartar sauce complimented it well. Lobster bisque and clam chowder were both amazing! LOVED the bits of biscuit in the chowder. BUT the BEST part of the meal: the BISCUIT!!! Warm, crispy yet soft, with a small puddle of honey on the bottom. Oh. Wow. I would come back just for that! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- A sleeperOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/14/2014I was really surprised how good the food was. Everything was prepared very well.Special Features: