Island Creek Oyster Bar
500 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
Kenmore Square / Fenway
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Island Creek Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.islandcreekoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 6175325300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Sewall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Island Creek Oyster Bar
Island Creek Oyster Bar is named simply after our farmer, built on the ideal of bringing guests closer to the farm. Chef Jeremy Sewall offers a daily changing menu with a raw bar featuring Island Creek Oysters and an updated, seasonal selection of New England seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Island Creek Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Kenmore Square / Fenway ›
Island Creek Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
397 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (240)special occasion (187)hot spot (184)vibrant bar scene (175)good for groups (126)neighborhood gem (124)notable wine list (114)romantic (108)late-night find (63)great for lunch (51)great for brunch (51)kid-friendly (17)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- A must go to for seafoodSheppup1VIPDined on 8/28/2014Large assortment of oysters, delicious shellfish, and very good seafood entrees. We loved it so much we booked it again for 2 nights later. Definitely a top 10 seafood restaurant in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Delicious oysters and raw bar and really great, friendly service. I tried the lobster roe noodle entry, and found it to have an odd, reheated quality to it. Everything else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/24/2014Island Creek Oyster Bar is one of our favorite restaurants! I ordered 3 varieties of oysters this time: Island Creeks, Moonshoals, and Chathams. All of them were delicious, but the Chathams were the largest and the tastiest! My husband ordered the striped bass ceviche and a bluefish entree. I chose the tuna tartare and a crab cake with a cucumber and tomato salad. Both the service and the food were fabulous! We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchDesertbabeDined on 8/24/2014Food was good and the selection was varied for drinks as well.Didn't enjoy the ambience as was seated near a little girl that cried constantly.Parents just sat enjoying their meal.Restaurant wasn't that full but they couldn't move us.Nice decor but it took too long for the waiter to help us every time and the meal took forever.The waiter kept disappearing and we got annoyed.It's a shame cause the food is not bad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its all in the details....ChrisDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were celebrating a major anniversary here. When we sat down, the waiter handed us our menus, and they were customized to wish us each a happy anniversary. Its great when a busy restaurant like this takes note of the little details, its such an easy thing to do, yet not many places do it. Superb service plus terrific and memorable food makes for a great experience that you want to repeat in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night outsjinjpDined on 8/20/2014raw bar was exceptional, service was fantastic. Would return in a minuteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It gets better everytimeDandDined on 8/19/2014We have been to Island Creek several previous times and the best meal I ever had there or anywhere else was this past Tuesday night. The Island Creek Oysters were the best, the clam chowder was perfect, and the Wild striped bass entree was superb. We ordered a nice bottle of French Chablis and that too was near perfect- right temp, nice glasses and a very fine wine. The service and ambience were just right. And everyone seemed to enjoy their desserts which I passed on. Island Creek has set a new standard for a New England oyster/fish restaurant.Special Features:
- Seafood comfort5jbsinaDined on 8/18/2014Even though we (vacationers) were lost and arrived more than thirty minutes late for our reservation, the staff was very accommodating and sat us quickly. We ate a wonderful dinner in a very relaxed atmosphere. All good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best oyster barNickDined on 8/17/2014This place erased our horrible experience at Union Oyster House. Island Creek's signature oysters were some of the best I've ever eaten, the service was top notch and the ambiance was comfortable.Special Features:
- Very disappointing servicepeacetoallVIPDined on 8/16/2014We have been to Island Creek numerous times, and one of the highlights is usually the outstanding service. This was certainly not the case this time. The main waiter was rude and bordered on obnoxious. This was when we could get his attention, which wasn't very often. Furthermore, we waited over one hour after appetizers for the next course. Most of the food was, as usual, outstanding, expect for the halibut, which was way overcooked. We pride ourselves on establishing a rapport with the wait staff, as a friendly and helpful waiter/waitress adds a lot to the dining experience, so I don't write this review lightly. We will go back, but we will make sure never to have the same waiter.Special Features:
- All in all, a wonderful nightFridaynightfoodieDined on 8/14/2014The food and drinks were delicious and the service was friendly and helpful. The cocktail list was not descriptive, so be adventurous and try something new! The oysters are fantastic, sample all the different regions for a variety of flavor. The monkfish was amazing and the lobster roll, while very good, was a bit heavy on mayo. A delightful surprise to see angel food cake on the desert menu and I highly recommend it! We had a great night with great drinks and delicious food and I would recommend this restaurant to my friends!Special Features:
- Great food but...lisaVIPDined on 8/13/2014I love the food here but it is quite expensive, even for Boston. A small-ish bowl of clam chowder is $11 and a romaine salad is $16. Low marks for ambience because our area smelled horribly of dirty mop water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Took my girlfriend here for her Birthday. She's a huge fan of oysters(I am not) so she was very happy with the seafood selection. I got the Roasted Chicken and it was delicious! Good ambiance and the wait staff was very accommodating, helping me surprise my girlfriend with a birthday desert and candle.Special Features:
- Love this placejjwenzellDined on 8/13/2014This is my favorite spot in Boston. I love the oysters, clam chowder, and lobster rolls. Also, I had the wild Red Snapper Special last time which was phenomenal. I even had a signature cocktail, the Dark and Stormy, and absolutely loved it. Will try to come back every time I am in town.Special Features:
- The Cheers of Seafood RestaurantsPetersonDavisVIPDined on 8/13/2014On our second visit to Island Creek Oyster Bar they remembered my family. On our third they remembered our names. Now, they know so much about us. They care so much about their customers that they take the time to get to know them. They also have amazing food and put service above everything else! We have been there at least 30 times and have never had anything short of an exceptional experience...to be continued!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Treat!LiterateDogDined on 8/13/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. I took him here last year as well. I'm really a big fan of ICOB. The hostess and servers are always so friendly and helpful. Plus, the food is excellent. I can highly recommend this restaurant to anyone interested in a great meal in a beautiful setting. My husband has demanded that we not wait until his next birthday to return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014Great experience! Fun restaurant, vib and delicious food!Special Features:
- Great food and vibeFabulousVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food was fantastic. Our server Jill was great! I live in Teaxs and make sure Islnad Creek is on the top of my list when I go to BostonSpecial Features:
- Yogi was rightHemulVIPDined on 8/11/2014The Red Sox were out of town, which meant you could valet your car, and we had not been here for awhile. The Yogi Berra quote "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." starting ringing very true almost immediately. We were seated right at the exit to the ?kitchen/supply area and between the horde of rushing servers and the constant "Behind, Behind" it felt like having dinner in the "Chopped" kitchen. Whatever you do, refuse to sit in that seat. The food was very good as always, but a tad too rich for a seafood restaurant. The service was attentive and involved at least seven different people, which led to the inevitable lack of communication and dropped orders (two drink orders were late or did not arrive).I would recommend this to a friend.
- NorthYorkersDined on 8/10/2014Arrived an hour early for our reservation, but the team was very accommodating and seated us at a tall table in the bar area (our choice vs waiting). Very lively and fun, though the table was a bit too small to share a meal and we seemed to occasionally get "forgotten" by our waiter amongst all the bustle. All the seafood dishes we had were excellent. Special mention for the "no shell" PEI mussels and the tuna tartare that the staff brought us as an "extra" surprise. Shrimp cocktail was good but a bit pricey at $3 per shrimp. The chocolate/caramel pot de creme my daughter ordered for dessert was to DIE for. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ups and downsrepeatVIPDined on 8/10/2014Great raw bar items -- that is the reason to come here. Service is less than ideal which can influence an evening. We had different people in the group with different patterns of orders and therefore asked for service in a particular pattern. Did it happen? No. Did it ruin the taste of the food? No. But it did take away from the overall pleasure.
- Deceiving second visitElisabethVIPDined on 8/9/2014The oysters and the fish&Chips were amazing ! American service - way too fast !!! Too cold in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014Our food was great -- and ICOB has a well-deserved reputation. But the service was also remarkable. I commend the host and wait staff for their graciousness and skill. Nice to have both this level of food and service at one establishment.Special Features:
- Just OkfriedmudDined on 8/8/2014The food was fairly decent but the service was lacking. On the food side the fries were awesome with just the right amount of sea salt... perfect! The fish with the fish and chips was excellent: not greasy/oily, crunchy, well-cooked... great! Our appetizer of fried oyster sliders was good. However, the lobster roll was just not good. The "sauce" on the roll had too much raw onion in it making it nearly inedible. Finally, I had a locally made Pilsner that, while not a true Czech Pilsner, was really delicious. The service really let us down. It took a while for our server to get to us... and it took forever to get our drinks. We ran out of drink several times as well. All-in-all we didn't feel attended to.Special Features:
- Consistently goodMikeDined on 8/6/2014Perhaps the top place for oysters in Boston. And great seafood of all kinds. Incredible wine selection. Excellent service. What's not to love?I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best meal we had all week!!playneDined on 8/5/2014thank you to Island Creek, we had the best birthday celebration!! We were immediately escorted to our reserved spot at the raw bar (even with a packed house!). Will, our bartender was just the best! He gave us menus and they had my husband's name printed on the top, wishing him a happy birthday, very nice touch! we started off with vodka cocktails and the ceviche, 4 shrimp, and 6 oysters, so fresh and flavorful, the best we've had in a long time! then because the oysters were so good, we ordered 4 more. after that we shared a salad and the clam chowder, the salad was good, the chowder very good, although it wasn't a traditional chowder. They gave us a couple biscotti and champagne to celebrate the evening. truly memorable. we will be back.Special Features:
- Delicious!!!FuffinVIPDined on 8/4/2014A great way to taste the amazing seafood that Boston has to offer. Raw oysters are a perfect start!! The clam chowder had just enough clams and the there is a chorizo mussels dish that is superb. I had the lobster roe pasta and it's worth having. Perfectly cooked pasta with a nice large lobster tail on top.Special Features:
- YesWalterDined on 8/3/2014The place certainly wasn't bad. The food was great, absolutely wonderful dining. The ambiance was lovely, the decor was chic. I just really couldn't stand the bubbly waitresses, but that's a personal preference. And the music was really, really loud.Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/3/2014Island Creek Oyster Bar always has a large variety of delicious, fresh oysters on their menu! I like the Island Creeks, the Moonsholes, and the Chathams the best! The fluke crudo and the salmon tartare are both wonderful. The crab cake is homemade and delicious! We also highly recommend the salmon entree! The service is always fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails and friendly staff!2theatsDined on 8/3/2014Enjoyed having our cocktails at the bar with our oysters before sitting at our table for dinner. All staff very friendly and knowledgable. I was even escorted to the bathroom when asked where it was located. Vibrant place, kid friendly and yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish was spectacularchicagotritaDined on 8/3/2014If you come to Boston and want seafood, this is the place to be! Make sure you book a reservation in advance. By the time I booked, I only got a 5:15pm but it was already jam-packed by the time we got there. Ordered 1 dozen of the oysters - each of them was absolutely amazing. Then the salmon tartar with taro chips. My favorite course was the steamed clams. The broth (fennel, rosemary, pancetta) is out of this world! So good I ordered it twice. Still dreaming about it.Special Features:
- great pre-baseball game dining111AMLDined on 8/3/2014We were visiting from out of town and had tickets for a baseball game at 8pm at Fenway Park. We were delighted to discover this great seafood spot just a few blocks away- great drinks, great food, great casual ambience and all in all a great place to have an early dinner before the game. We did make 5:15pm reservations on Open Table which I would recommend. When we got there at 5:15pm, the place was packed and there no reservations for a least an hour and there was a waiting list to eat at the bar.Special Features:
- Not worth itKepantaDined on 8/2/2014I've been to ICOB a few times and every time before this the food and service were great. This time the lobster bisque was so salty it was inedible and my friend had to send her cocktail back because it tasted horrible. The server who brought my friend her second drink made a rude comment about the fact that my friend didn't like her first drink. Our server couldn't remember what we ordered (he had to go over it several times before leaving the table - why not just write it down??) and when the food arrived, the wrong dish was put in front of us every time. I'm really disappointed and probably won't go back to ICOB because there are plenty of nice places to eat in Boston where I wouldn't have this kind of experience.Special Features:
- Bostonian seafoodFoodieAtHeartDined on 8/2/2014Food for most part was really good. Cook seemed to like there salt and put way too much salt on their clam chowder. But other than that was a relaxing and enjoying atmosphere. Wait staff was very friendly. Great for group dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsmtg14450Dined on 8/2/2014We went expecting to get great seafood. The salmon and corn chowder soup were outstanding. The complimentary bread was delicious and the prices were reasonable.Special Features:
- OutstandingRuthieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went for lunch on a Saturday when they opened for lunch due to the Sox game. Everything was perfect, especially the sommelier, she is tops!Special Features:
- A must for Oyster lovers!OysterRUsDined on 8/1/2014Great place to go in a group, It will be a great evening with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heaven for oyster afficionadosMoxieBelleDined on 8/1/2014My husband takes me to Island Creek Oyster Bar every summer as a very special treat before attendance at a few Red Sox games. (We live in NH). I adore fresh oysters and have a sophisticated palate for the differences based on waters of origin (as I do for single malt scotch!). The restaurant atmosphere is rather agitated before a Sox game, but it is worth enduring for the variety and freshness of fare. I like that servers are very knowledgeable about the oysters. My husband does NOT enjoy raw oysters but appreciates the quality of the other menu choices and we both appreciate the extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great oysters, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/30/2014very large selection of oysters that changes daily with supply. Great service in helping select oysters, wine and menu advice. vibrant bar scene. right near Fenway and open to 1:00am, so perfect for pre or post Red Sox Game fare. Tried booking on Open Table same day and was only offered a 10:00pm table; walked in at 8:45pm, expecting to wait or take a seat at the bar and was seated immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good before Fenway dinner spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was excellent. Service and speed of food is a bit of an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.