359 Columbus Ave at 77th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.isabellas.com/
- Phone: 2127242100x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Tuesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Wednesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For large groups, semi-private dining and restaurant buyouts, contact Special Events at 212-331-0328 or email email@example.com.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
- Cross Street: 77th Street
- Public Transit: A, B, C & D trains to 80th Street/Central Park West, and 1 train to 79th Street. M10 bus on Columbus Ave and 77th Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street parking and public lots available. Closest public lot is between Amsterdam and Broadway on 77th Street.
A word from Isabella's
A faithful neighborhood favorite, Isabella’s has been an Upper West Side institution for over two decades, a hit with locals and celebrities alike. Isabella’s defines Upper West Side dining with reliable market-fresh offerings for the Mediterranean palate. From birthdays to celebratory brunches, many a memories have been made at Isabella’s and continue unfolding at this “oasis for an unrushed, delicious meal,” according to Zagat. When the weather’s pleasant, grab a sidewalk seat in the café for a classic New York Brunch filled with people-watching, benedicts and Bloody Marys. Indulge your sweet tooth in a Chocolate Bag, a dessert staple that’s been on the menu since opening day!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Isabella's reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (132)great for outdoor dining (130)great for brunch (73)great for lunch (71)fit for foodies (65)special occasion (61)good for groups (46)romantic (43)kid-friendly (36)hot spot (30)late-night find (20)scenic view (14)notable wine list (12)vibrant bar scene (9)Show More
- Always goodWeezieVIPDined on 10/21/2014A pleasant adult dining experience. Good food and service with the plus of being able to hear your dinner companions.Special Features:
- Isabella's hit the spot!ValDineDevineDined on 10/19/2014After a day at the museum, we (party of 5) walked across the street and were immediately seated. The restaurant was busy and service was slow to start, but picked up quickly. Our server was a new employee; bright, attentive, friendly and knowledgeable. The regular menu had a perfect selection of starters and entrees, it was hard to pick only one. Specials added to the list and we opted for several appetizers and entrees. All were excellent. The specialty drinks were very good. The encrusted cod came with small, perfectly roasted potatoes and fresh steamed string beans in a light lemon cream sauce. All of us were very pleased with our dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really good and cozyLovetoeatVIPDined on 10/19/2014first time at Isabellas. It is a very cozy restaurant with excellent service and very friendly. The food was very tasty and innovative. Had the beet salad with goat cheese had a beet puree that was very tasty and great showing. The caesar salad was very good. For dinner had the roasted chicken which was superb. The chicken ajus sauce was very tasty. the other meal was the cavetelli with spicy sausage. just the right amount of sausage and it was so good. will surely go back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experience.....TrainDined on 10/18/2014Wonderful way for my wife and I to spend her milestone birthday!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner optionmattie1Dined on 10/17/2014great food, slow service.Will return . Nice locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Isabella's is Perfect!diniVIPDined on 10/17/2014The Upper West Side cafe could convince you that you are in Europe. When weather permits, there is no better place to enjoy a glass of wine and a fabulous salad than this! Service is always friendly, and when the weather turns cooler, the indoor space is warm and inviting. It is the perfect place for lunch or a light dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverDined on 10/12/2014Service was good, food was was even better restaurant traffic was pretty active for a Sunday afternoon.Special Features:
- Favorite spotChrisDined on 10/11/2014I've never been disappointed by Isabella's and I've been there quite a few times. Food is great, pricing is decent, and the service is pretty good too. The specials that they usually have are fantastic, so definitely check those out. The noise level varies by day but you don't have to scream trying to talk to the person next to you. Very cozy and sometimes, the space feels a bit snug but you can easily forget about that. Check out the review for Isabella's and other restaurants here: http://wondersforthesoul.blogspot.com/2014/10/isabellas-restaurant.htmlSpecial Features:
- SuperbPinettoVIPDined on 10/11/2014Isabella's never disappionts ; on that night Jake was our server and he was particularyl attentive and helpful. PinettoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TMVGoodeatsDined on 10/10/2014Excellent as always-- one of my favorite all time restaurants in NYC-- Everything is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pumpkin Creme BruleeGO2DinnerDined on 10/10/2014After a romantic walk through Central Park it was a short jaunt to the Upper West Side to the restaurant. We were seated right away at a very small corner window table. The table wobbled the entire meal and it felt like it might turn into a bad evening. The waiter was great and the food more than made up for the uncomfortable table. We would go there again some day but next time we will ask for a different table.Special Features:
- sue1dinersue1dinerDined on 10/9/2014We so enjoy this restaurant since as usual, it has very good food, wine, etc. And their service is always very good. Plus their staff are very helpful even telling people what they like best; we even chose what our server suggested and so agreed it was great to chose!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time, good timejeunefilleDined on 10/9/2014Had a very nice experience here, and the host staff was very welcoming. When I arrived, Isabella's was just starting to get busy; later, when my friend arrived, it was quite busy. Food, which is Mediterranean-inspired, was excellent. Only difficulty was in getting the server's attention once the restaurant became very busy. Wonderful place for a relaxed and unhurried meal. I plan to go back!Special Features:
- Good Food but Too NoisyJanDVIPDined on 10/7/2014I stopped coming here for several years because of the noise level. This time we came b because of convenience and its still too noisy. A shame because the food is good. I prefer Gazala across the street and up 1 block. The food is good and the ambience better.Special Features:
- FoodBowtieDined on 10/7/2014The food was delicious especially the chopped salad and the special Hake dish with butternut squash, spatzle, and other vegetables. Service was perfect. They asked if we were seeing a show and were very mindful of our timing to make it to the show.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotUWS123Dined on 10/7/2014Nice atmosphere, good food, and friendly and welcoming service. When we mentioned that we had to make a concert at a certain time, they were accommodating in every way and made sure the meal progressed in a timely but not rushed way. Dinner was great, and I would definitely go try it for brunch.Special Features:
- Favorite People Watching SpotNativeNewYorkerVIPDined on 10/7/2014I have enjoyed coming here since it opened. Sitting under the heat lamps outside, while having a great wine , is the perfect night. A quintessential New York evening!Special Features:
- Polished, Friendly ServiceNewspaperReaderDined on 10/4/2014I walked out of Isabella's commenting that it was a very well-run restaurant. Food was very good. Restaurant was clean. Staff liked their jobs and were very well-trained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for friends to meetMarcusDined on 10/4/2014My friends and I have been coming here for years in pairs and large groups. The food is good (for example, the hay & straw pasta, the filet mignon; but I don't think we've ever had a bad dish); the ambiance is nice, and the noise level is reasonable and conducive to conversation; and on warm days you can sit in the sidewalk cafe if you like. But what we most value about Isabella's is that when we have a large group of friends -- sometimes as many as 11 -- coming together, the staff is always flexible and friendly if the number of people is changing, and always tries to work with us. Together with the food and the space, for us it's a keeper.Special Features:
- Holy GnocchiMeredithCDined on 10/4/2014Went to Isabella's to celebrate an anniversary. I had been there once before for brunch, which was excellent, and thought I would try it for dinner. I couldn't decide what I wanted off the regular menu, but the waiter told us about a special gnocchi for the evening - it was in a butter and white wine sauce, with shaved black truffles on top. It was DELICIOUS! For dessert I had the special as well, an apple crumble topped with maple ice cream and apple cider glaze. It did not disappoint. The ambiance was nice enough for a date or special occasion, but wasn't so overly pricey. Loved it!Special Features:
- Great!mp1990Dined on 10/3/2014Isabella's is definitely a place to eat in, and has a wonderful ambiance about it, specifically for dates. Would definitely take my date there again!Special Features:
- Great brunch on UWSAndrewDDined on 10/2/2014Great food and service, nice atmosphere, free wifi. What's not to like? The only reason that I gave 4 stars instead of 5 overall is that dinner, and esp the wine was overly expensive in my view altho both were very good. A must if you want brunch in the Upper West Side though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old standbySarabeeDined on 10/2/2014Isabella's is a good place to go if you need something in the neighborhood of the Museum of Natural History and the New-York Historical Society. The food is good, if not inspired. Service is fine and, at least early in the evening, the noise level is acceptable. You needn't shout to let your table-mates hear you. When the weather is fine, there is outdoor dining, for those who don't mind the traffic noise on Columbus Avenue.
- Women's lunchNeighborVIPDined on 9/30/2014I live in the neighborhood so come often to Isabella's. Food this time really not great. Een the omelet was mediocre.I would recommend this to a friend.
- a Disappointmentnew2nycVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food we had at Isabellas was not very tasty.the flatbread was overdone and hard.The famed hay and Straw had very little flavor.the crab cake was just "ok". the dessert-chocolate bag was very good! the over-all ambiance is celebratory and fun.-very pleasant.--I think esp near the windows or out-doors on a lovely early fall eve. the servers were really helpful and nice--good service!! Ive had several very good lunches here,so dinner was a disappointment!Special Features:
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/25/2014I swore of this spot a few years back after a couple of bad experiences at brunch but I have a friend that loves it so went for lunch and really enjoyed> She had the pasta special (shrimp/linquine) and I had the mushroom ravioli. Both were really fresh, tasted great and presented so nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Isabel, Isabel, IsabelChewyDined on 9/24/2014Luke Charles /Aznavor's song, Isabella's is quite charming. The food was great, as was the service. Went on eve of Jewish New Year and did not have to deal with usual crowds. Was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EstherVIPDined on 9/24/2014i ordered the Hake and it was prepared poorly. I have been eating at your restaurant for may years and was very surprised but disappointed in the mealSpecial Features:
- Really chamingMaryJaneDined on 9/24/2014it's really nice and the food really tasty! Near central park, very beautiful people around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotGodmotherLindaDined on 9/23/2014My husband and I had dinner there with three friends from out of town. Our Nashville guest was staying in the area, so we thought it would be convenient for him. We have eaten at Isabella's several times because of the convenience, but have never found the food to be that outstanding. This time everyone raved about their meals from the aps to the desserts. It was the best meal my husband and I have ever had there. Our waiter was pleasant, professional and efficient. The only thing that was questionable was when. I asked for ketchup for the fries, instead of getting it in a serving cup as most restaurants do, the bottle was brought to the table --- really? Not too classy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon restaurantChrysDined on 9/21/2014Nous avons passé une bonne soirée au Isabella's, qualité des plats, originalité, et service agréable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upper West SiderOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014Several meals at Isabella's and have never let me down. Great neighborhood gem and will continue to return....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014A very nice evening for our anniversary. Delicious food, attentive staff, nice atmosphere. Easily made reservation through OT, arrived a bit early and was seated right away. Sat near the open doors but not outside and felt like we were on the street without the noise of the traffic. 1 App, 2 Entrees, 3 drinks and desert and coffee was 130 plus tip. Would recommend and will return. Found this as part of same group as Blue Water Grill downtown. Listed itself as Mediterranean although menu has recently changed and I would describe menu as more American.Special Features:
- Excellent Food & ServiceKyleCDined on 9/17/2014My girlfriend and I enjoyed dining here for the first time after spending the afternoon strolling Central Park. The menu and drinks had just been updated, we were told, and our waiter was very knowledgeable about the flavors to help recommend items. Great that this restaurant ensures employees have sampled the menu before offering it to guests. We enjoyed a window seat just inside near sliding doors which were open to the outdoor seating. A heater made the spot very comfortable as the evening air cooled. The linguine with chicken and vegetables was full of flavor in a warm mushroom sauce, and the presentation was equally delicious. We recommend the crème brulee made with an orange liquor. So satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So, so goodNewyorkerVIPDined on 9/12/2014I returned again for the hay and straw pasta - always so, so good. I was seated T the same table and had the same dish as a week earlier. My husband had the Cavatelli with vegetables that was so, so good too! Isabelle's is one of the best outdoor dining venues in New York. A perfect place to unwind on a Friday evening and enjoy great food and good wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely go backjgx4Dined on 9/12/2014My husband and I dined with another couple at Isabella's a few nights ago. The colleague who recommended it said "it's a solid restaurant with great outdoor space." I agree completely. Most of our party ordered fish dishes and everyone enjoyed their meals. I had a perfectly cooked branzino (a bit on the small side) which was moist and well seasoned. I particularly liked that we did not feel rushed. Our waitress gave us plenty of time to enjoy our drinks and then later, were able to enjoy dining outside without being made to feel like we had to wrap up the evening.Special Features:
- Upbeat and still terrificuegdswVIPDined on 9/12/2014The sunset menu is great fun, especially if you found that you didn't get out of the house early enough for late brunch. The last chance to sit outdoors before the fall chill comes was terrific. The Gazpacho was wonderful as are the chicken skewers. I also love the chopped salad. We liked the wine and the martini. And just a comment on the restaurant design which is part of its charm: the interior is so well configured, and the outside café is especially comfortable and delightful.Special Features:
- niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014Group of six. Good, friendly service, average prices for New York and very good food. I would say this is a reliable restaurant. Not a huge menu but something for everyone.Special Features:
- Consistantly GoodFoodieDined on 8/31/2014We have back to this restaurant multiple times and have always found the food and service to be excellantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor diningFoodieNYC7Dined on 8/27/2014This is the perfect spot in the UWS for al fresco dining and a lovely ambience. For the appetizer, I had the gazpacho which was delicious but there was a distinct lack of croutons. There were just four tiny croutons which got a bit lost in the large bowl of soup. My guest had the melon salad as an appetizer and similarly there was hardly any feta. For the entrees, I had the salmon with summer corn risotto which was cooked perfectly and really tasty. My guest had the blackened swordfish which he said was okay, but a bit overcooked and dry. For dessert we shared the peach cobbler. Overall, I would say you come here for the outdoor dining and ambience. The service was excellent.Special Features: