359 Columbus Ave at 77th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.isabellas.com/
- Phone: 2127242100x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Tuesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Wednesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For large groups, semi-private dining and restaurant buyouts, contact Special Events at 212-331-0328 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
- Cross Street: 77th Street
- Public Transit: A, B, C & D trains to 80th Street/Central Park West, and 1 train to 79th Street. M10 bus on Columbus Ave and 77th Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street parking and public lots available. Closest public lot is between Amsterdam and Broadway on 77th Street.
A word from Isabella's
A faithful neighborhood favorite, Isabella’s has been an Upper West Side institution for over two decades, a hit with locals and celebrities alike. Isabella’s defines Upper West Side dining with reliable market-fresh offerings for the Mediterranean palate. From birthdays to celebratory brunches, many a memories have been made at Isabella’s and continue unfolding at this “oasis for an unrushed, delicious meal,” according to Zagat. When the weather’s pleasant, grab a sidewalk seat in the café for a classic New York Brunch filled with people-watching, benedicts and Bloody Marys. Indulge your sweet tooth in a Chocolate Bag, a dessert staple that’s been on the menu since opening day!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Isabella's reviews from OpenTable diners
245 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (146)neighborhood gem (143)great for brunch (95)great for lunch (87)special occasion (74)fit for foodies (57)romantic (48)kid-friendly (46)good for groups (43)hot spot (24)late-night find (23)scenic view (19)notable wine list (13)vibrant bar scene (7)Show More
- Great outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014This is the perfect spot in the UWS for al fresco dining and a lovely ambience. For the appetizer, I had the gazpacho which was delicious but there was a distinct lack of croutons. There were just four tiny croutons which got a bit lost in the large bowl of soup. My guest had the melon salad as an appetizer and similarly there was hardly any feta. For the entrees, I had the salmon with summer corn risotto which was cooked perfectly and really tasty. My guest had the blackened swordfish which he said was okay, but a bit overcooked and dry. For dessert we shared the peach cobbler. Overall, I would say you come here for the outdoor dining and ambience. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- The worst service in New YorkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014That restaurant was great when just opened. Now, the service is the worst in New York. The wine, we ordered at the beginning came after an hour, the waitress who was finally bringing the wine, knowing that we were waiting for an hour or more, just stopped at the table and talked for another 15 minutes with her friends. They brought soup, then forgot the spoons, then came bread. The manager did not know how to explain the service. We got 2 glasses of wine on the house, instead of a bottle of wine we were waiting, but was the aggravation worst it? They spoiled the perfect summer lunch. I never had this experience in this kind of restaurant.
- Lovely Isabella'sFran212Dined on 8/22/2014Although noisy at times, Isabella's is always a port of call when we're in city. Been coming here since they opened and never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old stand-byWeezieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Food is still good though portions are a bit on the small side. Wait staff is friendly and accommodating. Definitely worth the visit; reasonably priced and you can actually have a conversation without screaming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch for twoHappyLoneDinerDined on 8/19/2014Hostess was lovely. Server forgot bread request, brought wrong drink order. Food was adequate for the price. Absolutely no attention to plate presentation. Great location and it seems to be popular. I would not recommend it.Special Features:
- Great VibeFrequentdinersDined on 8/16/2014Great ambiance, casual and comfortable and great street scene. Excellent food, great wine selection.Special Features:
- Isabella'sBobLVIPDined on 8/15/2014We have been there many times & the food is always excellent. They have a great wine list which my wife & friends enjoy. Friday nites can be quite busy & the staff is somewhat scattered, they probably could use more waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I'm never disappointed at Isabella's but the cod Friday night was especially delicious!Special Features:
- DeliciousnoonisVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great food, good service, and an accommodating kitchen—when asked for no cheese in a dish, the waiter asked if it was allergy-related or just a personal preference. I've never experienced that before and it was greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- A pleasant eveningNancyVIPDined on 8/13/2014The wait staff was attentive, the food adequate, and the ambience charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableD3goodDined on 8/12/2014Isabella's has been around in the same location for a lot longer than about any other restaurant on the UWS. And it hasn't lost it's charm or it's attention to quality food and service. You can't go wrong choosing this place to eat.Special Features:
- Good but not that memorable.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Hadn't lived in NYC since 1991 and this was recommended by two different people. Personally I found food good but nothing stood out to me except for the fries. The kale salad not very flavorful to me but others liked it. Blackened mahi mahi with sweet potatoes-just OK. Others had the chicken which they said was wonderful. Rice pudding was very good with a sorbet that I didn't like at all. Brownie was good also. The Columbus Ave location is very nice with outdoor seating. Since we wanted to catch up with our friends we hadn't seen in ages, the table in the far back (by the restrooms) was perfect although probably the least desirable in the place. Service great-attentive but unobtrusive. Fine but I thought it would be outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite!NativeNewYorkerVIPDined on 8/9/2014We have been eating at Isabella's since it opened. We love the atmosphere,and always enjoy new additions to the menu!Special Features:
- Always ExcellentDebJoyDined on 8/8/2014I have been coming to Isabella's for I don't know how long. The food is always excellent, the service is top-notch, so it is no surprise that Isabella's is a neighborhood institution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sistah2 Does Isabella'ssistah2Dined on 8/6/2014Ladies Who Lunch Spot...on the UWS. Some gems on menu, like their crab cake and gooey chocolate brownie dessert...Had the sundae this trip, crab cake another time. Friend and I asked for quiet spot, forgoing outdoors and were seated in upstairs area...large group with kids left midway. Seafood Cobb salad had plenty of seafood and greens. It was o.k....seafood a little watery tasting newly thawed. If you closed your eyes, couldn't really tell what was what by taste. iced tea ditto... Dessert was indulgent. Next time, back to the crab cake ...Special Features:
- NEAR THE PARKJamieVIPDined on 8/5/2014perfect for dinner before 3 1/2 hrs of King Lear! Hit the spotSpecial Features:
- Nice placeDominiqueDined on 8/4/2014Very good experience for our first dîner as tourists in NY. Excellent service, good food even if relatively simple, diversified wine list, and nice location.Special Features:
- Great service and food!Nycmo4Dined on 8/4/2014We had food allergies and sensitivities - 1 gluten free, 1 dairy free, and 1 both. They were incredibly accommodating and pleasant about it and all the food was delicious. We mixed both the restaurant week menu and regular menu. All in all a success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClaireDined on 8/4/2014The ambience was great but the food was nothing special. Just your average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food, Teriffic ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014The occasion was my girlfriends birthday. From the moment we entered to the moment we left, we encountered one person after another who made us feel like valued patrons and at home, even though this was our first time at Isabella's. The special requests I had made to make the celebration a truly special one were taken care of without a single word from me. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable. Isabella's is a great destination for that special occasion.Special Features:
- Better brunch than dinnerIgtoutoccVIPDined on 8/3/2014We've been here a number of times. Although dinner is ok, brunch is much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat to eat here!lovegoodfoodDined on 8/1/2014We've been to Isabella's on numerous occasions and we've always been pleased. The menu is varied and interesting and the food is consistently excellent. On this visit, our drinks (cocktails) were very generous, and we were also presented with a complimentary amuse bouche from the chef along with the bread basket. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Always goodMalkaDined on 8/1/2014I have eaten at Isabella's many times and have always been happy with my meal. I particularly enjoy eating outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be waryRepastVIPDined on 8/1/2014I had been a customer of Isabella's since its opening but stopped going about a year ago after two dreadful dinners. This lunch was a test. The seafood cob was pretty and generous. Unfortunately, its scallops were raw and the shrimp close to raw (not cooked and cold, raw.) Dressing was gelatinous and tasteless (one of those 800 calorie too-many-ingredient blends) The bread basket contained three limp slices of bread for two of us.
- Consistent and "go to" placeEvyNYVIPDined on 7/31/2014Welove going to Isabella's and it has been our "go to place" for years. I reserved and asked, if possible, to be accommodated outside. We were very graciously greeted by the host and given the table outside with the nicest smile and warmth I have witnessed in a while. Food was consistent although too much cream in the fish dishes. Will continue coming back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experiencehgteeveeDined on 7/31/2014i have been dining here since it first opened and it has never once disappointed! Everyone i bring loves it! The food is delicious, presented well and service very friendly. And they will get you out in time for the theater. Prices are still gentle- rare now on the UWS. Very happy that they are still doing well and are still packed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Isabella'sililiVIPDined on 7/28/2014Meet friends for lunch. We all had omelets which were delicious. Great place for lunch. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- sunshineVIPDined on 7/27/2014While we had another excellent meal here as we have had since the restaurant first opened, we were very uncomfortable due to so many doors being open (there used to be just one) and so the air conditioning couldn't work properly and it was a very warm night. Even many of the staff looked uncomfortable. What a waste of energy and what a shame to spoil a good meal. Looks like we can't come back in the summertime unless things change. So be forewarned if this could be a concern of yours!I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!!LEPM72Dined on 7/26/2014Isabella's is always consistently good, I have never been let down. Food and service is always top notch!Special Features:
- Good Location:crowded and noisyConanDined on 7/25/2014This is a good location but when it is busy the layout is cramped. Food is reasonable... and the price is in line with the location. But you are not going to hear much with all those tables in confined space... .previously had been seated outside and is better but those places go fast. Think there are better options in the area at this price point.Special Features:
- Noisy, crowdedjerseygirlDined on 7/23/2014Food was good, but service was slow. The restaurant was frantically busy on a Wednesday at 6pm. Don't go without a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish service was betterconsumingVIPDined on 7/22/2014I like the ambience and some of the food here, but lately it's been disappointing. Last time, it took forever to be seated and served. This time the waitress was busy with other tables, while the bus boys kept reaching over my group to serve dishes and hit my girlfriend's head with a plate. The artichoke appetizer was great; the hay & straw pasta was good; but my branzino was dry and dull. One good thing is they accommodated my friend's vegan requested.
- Inconsistentcatnip1960VIPDined on 7/22/2014I live in the neighborhood and have eaten here several times. This evening we dined pre-Shakespeare in the Park. The food was just average. Two of us ordered the tomato salad from the Restaurant Week menu and the tomatoes were terrible. I ordered Tile fish from the same menu and was told they were serving salmon instead which I had and was good. I've had really good food here but it's very inconsistent and sometimes disappointing.Special Features:
- so niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014great service and delicious food. have had lunch there three times. never disappoints. you can't go wrong here, they do not rush you and the food is great. very pleasant spot.Special Features:
- Always a TreatFoodieFamilyDined on 7/20/2014Every so often we find ourselves in New York with the opportunity to eat at Isabella's, and it never disappoints. When the big glass doors open the whole west wall of the restaurant to the patio, dining in or out is equally lovely. Don't miss the branzino or the watermelon salad. Perfect summer meal.Special Features:
- BarbVIPDined on 7/18/2014Isabella's is a great place for dinner, lunch, brunch or a drink. The food was good, the ambience was upbeat and the service was outstanding. I would highly recommend Isabella's.Special Features:
- great summer evening in the citythefoodiepatrolVIPDined on 7/17/2014Have been coming to Isabellas for years. My favorite place to sit on a summer evening is downstairs next to their open french doors. You still can watch the world go by , have a nice glass of wine and a tasty meal. The portions are always filling and the menu is varied. Something for everyone at a fair price. The staff has a "im really an actor/model/writer" vibe that makes them approachable and friendly. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- The Costliest Coke I Have Ever Had!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014I checked the cite on the web at 5pm and the prices were listed there. At the table, while ordering, I found out that the prices listed on the web were lunch prices and not dinner prices. There was very little food on my plate for those prices and totally not worth it. Also, I was not informed that every time my glass was refilled with soda, I was being charged. I paid $14 for two sodas!Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceSammyStilesDined on 7/12/2014After a wonderful experience with the host, our waitress and the food runners were terrible. The waitress didn't even approach our table for at least 10-15 minutes, and when she did she didn't even say hello. The food runners basically threw our dishes at us and took off. Very unfortunate as the food was decent and the outside seating was great.Special Features:
- dinahVIPDined on 7/12/2014We decided to give Isabella's another try. While the food always has been good we didn't like the long wait for our food to arrive. Nothing has changed. 45 minutes to wait for entrees simply is unacceptable. The kitchen is much too slow and we'll go elsewhere.