Isabella's - Frederick
44 North Market Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Isabella's - Frederick
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.isabellas-tavern.com/
- Phone: 3016988922
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Tuesday - Friday 7:00am - 10:00am, Saturday 7:00am - 11:00am, Sunday 8:00am to 11:00am Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am – 3:30pm Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: James Johns
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Let Isabella’s do your next event with our exclusive Paella Parties or our a la carte drop-off catering. Drop off catering is available within 48 hours notice and delivered straight to your party destination.
- Special Events: Providing a small slice of Spain in Downtown Frederick, Isabella’s offers the perfect spot for special events with a private room adjoining our back bar. Please contact the restaurant for more information on pricing, and menu items.
A word from Isabella's - Frederick
We welcome you to visit and enjoy our restaurant in downtown historic Frederick located in the Hendrickson Building. We have selected the finest Spanish cuisine complemented with an exclusive wine list. In the heart of historic Frederick, Maryland, Isabella"s has become a favorite destination for local residents and worldwide travelers alike in search of a truly Mediterranean dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Isabella's - Frederick reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (24)good for groups (21)great for lunch (21)romantic (14)great for brunch (13)great for outdoor dining (12)hot spot (10)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great restaurantAverageJaneVIPDined on 8/16/2014Tapas are my favorite kind of food because you get to try lots of items from the menu. Isabella's has the best variety and innovative tapas I have ever had and in my opinion are better than Jaleo's tapas. Try the filet mignon and the bacon wrapped dates - you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Lunch spotJulsDined on 8/14/2014This is a great lunch spot. Or a nice dinner with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulrescuemamaDined on 8/8/2014I've walked past Isabellas on a few occasions but never stopped in. After reading a few reviews and looking at the menu I decided to have my birthday dinner there with my family. WOW! What a wonderful surprise! My new favorite restaurant for sure. We had a great meal, tapas and paella and a pitcher of red sangria. Our waiter was attentive, friendly, iinformative and just plain nice. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Isabella's is a wonderful place to eat at in Downtown Frederick. I used to live in Europe and its great to find a Tapas place that is very authentic and reminds me of Spain. The tapas were delicious and so was the ceviche and the Sangria. I would definitely recommend this place for lunch, dinner or even dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLktdinerDined on 8/6/2014We went on Wed night for the paella special - great deal! The ceviche was excellent as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Isabella's FrederickpmafromtowsonDined on 8/3/2014I took my niece to Isabella's for her first experience with Spanish food. We loved it! Our waitress was great, manager was friendly and the food was incredible! A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoejenDined on 8/2/2014Asparagus fries were a little too salty. The flat iron shrimp was served with the shrimp's heads on the dish. I thought that was odd. I have been to Isabellas a handful of times but I was not impressed on this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentChrisVDined on 8/2/2014Isabella's is always excellent. From asparagus fries and sangria to goat cheese fritters and cocoa dusted filet mignon, the wide variety of tapas are wonderfully delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy Isabella's!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I have eaten at Isabella's several times over the past few years. I travel quite some distance to do so, as well as to enjoy downtown Frederick. The food is very tasty, with a nice variety. I love the brick and wood--it is a warm and inviting atmosphere. The servers have always geen great.Special Features:
- LisaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014Though we don't live in Frederick, we always make it a point to find an occasion to go to Isabella's. My son (13) LOVES the "Chocolate Steak" as he calls it. It is a petite filet that has coco powder in the sauce. Great fun. Love it when they have live entertainment too. Definitely worth the trip up 270 : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonDined on 7/19/2014Food was excellent. We just returned from Barcelona. Isabella's holds its own with Texas size portions. I was disappointed that nothing was done to recognize my guest's special occasion - birthday. I made note of it beforehand and also mentioned it to our waitress. Didn't expect a song and dance, but maybe a candle in the lava cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ChoicesSallyAnnVIPDined on 7/13/2014First time we have been here. There were so many wonderful choices of tapas as well as entrees, it was hard to decide. Everything was very good. Especially liked their signature tapas, the asparagus coated with panko as well as artichoke bottoms and crabmeat. Will eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great paella!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014We returned again from Pennsylvania for the tapas, paella and sangria! Another delicious dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was absolutely wonderul!SdboyerDined on 7/6/2014Waiter was excellent. Very knowledgeable. The Paella was fantastic! Would highly recommend to anyone that likes small plates and likes to try a variety of foods. Everything was tasty!Special Features:
- Isabella's TapasRansonDined on 7/5/2014Wonderful menu and concept. Food and service first rate. Would not recommend menu for children, perhaps. Vibrant, energetic atmosphere. A favorite!Special Features:
- Great food & outstanding service !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014My husband and I decided to spend the 4th of July afternoon exploring Frederick and chanced upon Isbella's after doing a little 'research' on restaurants. Our afternoon turned out to be perfect !!! The food at Isabella's was scrumptious and service perfect...Jessica was simply lovely and wonderful in every way. We dine out on a very frequent basis and couldn't have asked for more from a restaurant in terms of quality of food, attentiveness and level of service. All in all, a very pleasant and memorable dining experience and 4th of July afternoon. We'll be back and will request for Jessica again for sure :) !Special Features:
- PerfectYummyDined on 7/3/2014Arrived in Frederick for a weekend getaway and booked this reservation as we pulled into town. Had never been here before and booked on the basis of other reviews. They did not let us down. My husband and I shared 4 small plates including ceviche, calamari, hummas and babaganoush which were all very good. For dessert we had the ice cream sampler, a small serving of 6 different kinds of ice cream. Were kind of surprised when the waitress couldn't tell us what the flavors were, but she checked with the kitchen and came back and told us. This was a nice, light dinner since we didn't want a full meal that late at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved this place!ccarsonDined on 6/29/2014We had a table of 9 for Brunch and we had a wonderful experience! The menu was both traditional and adventurous and the food came out hot, quickly and it was delicious. Never had to ask for water or coffee to be filled, the service was friendly and prompt. We'll be back just as soon as we can get everyone's schedule to coordinate.Special Features:
- Very disappointed and underwhelmedJRZGRLVIPDined on 6/28/2014We ordered the fried asparagus their signature dish.It came out tasteless w/a gummy crust. We sent it back & altho the waiter offered to get us a new one, we told him not to bother. The other tapas ordered were just so-so. We also ordered a steak entree & asked that it be medium; it came out well done. Again, we complained & again, he offered to get us a new order. We told him not to bother, at this point, we just wanted to leave. The manager apologized for the steak but didn't know about the asparagus.They took those two off our bill but charged us for everything else. It wasn't the money it was that they didn't offer a credit for a future meal or even offer to comp us anything;they knew at that point that we wouldn't be back and we won't.
- Romantic Birthday Datejesslynn44Dined on 6/27/2014I took my boyfriend here for his 21st birthday. I made a reservation for 6 but we arrived at 5:30, they sat us right away. Even though the bar scene is pretty big, we were secluded from that in a separate room towards the back. It was perfect for date night. Our server was very personable and available. We got the Early Bird Special which was a great deal! Our meal ended up being less expensive than I expected. The food was amazing of course!!! Always go for the Asparagus Straws!!!Special Features:
- ASPARAGUS FRIESVegsellerDined on 6/22/2014Asparagus fries are not the only thing on the menu, but they are, without a doubt, one of the best food items we have ever eaten. We have been to ISABELLA'S at least 20 times in the last five years, and have left our table, each time, with the great memory of a finely prepared meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad waitressRedhillbDined on 6/22/2014We ordered 2 items each and each got half what we ordered. Then the waitress argued with us about what we ordered. Finally brought what we originally ordered. My wife ordered Gaspacho and paella which she said was terrific when she finally got it! I ordered Gaspacho which was great when I finally got it, and callamares frito, also outstanding! Later I ordered shrimp with black beans, fantastic flavor! We will definitely return, but not with that waitress! Our bill was reduced by the cost of one Gaspacho, our dining experience was severally hampered by the waitress, only the great food saved my wife's birthday dinner!
- WONDERFULLDined on 6/15/2014excellent, every time we go there. Looking forward to returning again.Special Features:
- wonderful tapasfrederickfoodieDined on 6/14/2014The food is outstanding! A wide variety of small plates, each one perfectly prepared. If you have the money for a more expensive date and a distinguishing palate, this is a wonderful place to really have an experience. The nature of the dining experience lends itself to conversation and interaction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent restaurant!TerryJDined on 6/13/2014Our waitress, Ashley, was wonderful; she was accommodating, knowledgeable, sweet and funny. We had the asparagus fries, which I thought were "ok", but my partner thought were wonderful. The aioli was very good, though! I had the Paella Valenciana, and found it to be wonderful. The flavors were deep and rich and the dish included a large serving of seafood. There were only two problems: 1) chicken breast is the most worthless cut of meat and was dry and flavorless when added to such a good paella (you people know you're supposed to use thigh meat). 2) there was no "socarrat" or crust on the bottom of the rice. Just 3 more minutes in the fire and it would have been there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasJohnDined on 6/12/2014Friendly service, large tapas menu with outstanding tasting food, and live music which was subdued to keep the noise level down. A great experience and we would go back.Special Features:
- Top 5 meal of my lifePaProfDined on 6/7/2014Three of us enjoyed a long lunch on the patio on a Saturday afternoon. This was definitely one of the best meals I have ever had (and this includes meals in restaurants all over the world). The tapas was delicious, and the presentation was gorgeous. I especially recommend the avocado stuffed with crab salad -- every bite was absolutely heavenly. The interior looked welcoming, too, and I will definitely give it a try in the cooler months. I live nearly two hours away from Frederick, but I would actually make a day trip just to dine at Isabella's. There are so many nice restaurants in town, but I don't feel the need even to try any of the others because Isabella's is so amazing.Special Features:
- Great placelibragrl75Dined on 6/6/2014I love Isabellas. They have a huge wine list as well as Tapas menu. They also offer entrees and great Paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first timeBirdyDined on 6/6/2014This was my first time at Isabella's after hearing from a friend how great it was. It lived up to all expectations! Had the artichoke bottoms stuffed w/crabmeat. Altho' the menu stated they were stuffed w/lump crab meat and it was filled with crab salad, they were still delicious. Decided to have the shrimp/mussel paella - even though the menu stated that we would have to wait 25 minutes, it was served to us within 10! had the red wine sangria - delicious! Overall it was a wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Wonderful4pawzDined on 6/6/2014Isabella's is my favorite restaurant. The food is ALWAYS wonderful, the service fantastic, and the sangria the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 578 reviews are from the Isabella's - Frederick reviews archive.
- Amazing food, amazing value!kathrynDined on 5/31/2014We had reservations at Isabella's after the Beerfest in Frederick, MD. We arrived a bit early, and the hostess was still happy to seat us! Bailey, our server, made plenty of outstanding recommendations -- truly there was no bad dish that came to our table. The chef was amazing, and we had a memorable and fun meal here. Loved the serrano ham, scallops, bacon-wrapped salmon, house-made potato chips... in fact, we ordered several small plates a second time! Plus, most small plates were $10 or less -- for food of this quality, that was a really amazing value! We've been to Barcelona and have eaten at a number of tapas restaurants -- Isabella's is by far the best executed and most authentic tapas we have found in MD. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- OvercookedirishexpatDined on 5/31/2014I was a well traveled Brit before settling in the US for the past 25 years and Spanish restaurants are hard to come by and i was looking forward to my first authentic paella for a long time and although the flavor was good nearly everything in the dish was overdone, the prawns and mussels were especially rubbery,i would point out that this was a busy Saturday night and the volume of patrons probably contributed to this, but for the price and the hype on the website I expected better.
- Delicious Tapasmjp1Dined on 5/23/2014Always a fun evening at Isabella's. Good food and service. I love the asparagus fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDoug34Dined on 5/20/2014This is one of our favorites. Don't get to visit enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodJoejenDined on 5/17/2014This was my third visit to Isabella's and I was very pleased. The tapas are very good and great for sharing on a romantic date. I recently went to a tapas restaurant in a Las Vegas and found Isabella's to be far superior and 1/2 The cost. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vivalavidaVIPDined on 5/17/2014Our party of 6 thoroughly enjoyed eating a variety of tapas. Some had quite the gourmet touch and others not some much, but overall we enjoyed it all. We loved their Gazpacho! Its a must try! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Sunday brunch success!SJCFVIPDined on 5/4/2014I really enjoyed our Sunday brunch this past weekend. The menu had a lot of options and everyone in our group appreciated the choices. The bloody mary's were also really good!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2014Great place for relaxing weekend brunch. Good food, great bloody marysSpecial Features:
- Great Food!DigitalxsDined on 4/25/2014Went to Isabella's for my birthday, and was very pleased with the service, and food. This was not my first time visiting Isabella's and was hoping the food was as good as I had remembered. The food was great, and the tapas were served hot, and with perfect timing. Our server was knowledgeable, and friendly. Very pleased with Isabella's and would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysChrisDined on 4/25/2014We were sat right away and the waiter was more than happy to explain how the place works to my girlfriend because she had never been there. Food came out very quick and was great. Girlfriend loved the food and we tried different things. It was alittle loud because it looked like there was a happy hour party there.Special Features: