Isabela on Grandview
1318 Grandview Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Isabela on Grandview
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.isabelaongrandview.com/
- Phone: (412) 431-5882
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jacqueline Wardle
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private rooms with fabulous views of downtown Pittsburgh for 10-44 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jackie Foster 4124315882x
- Special Events: We offer our full menu to parties of 1 to 44 people. Toss in a mixture of fine food, specially selected wines, and award-winning views and you have an event to remember! We specialize in events for either business or family. Give us a call to book your event!
A word from Isabela on Grandview
Isabela on Grandview is an elegant and intimate restaurant featuring an innovative prix-fixe menu Monday through Saturday and additionally an a la carte menu Monday through Friday. Recently awarded one of OpenTable.com 100 Most Romantic Restaurants nation-wide, we take pride in offering a memorable dining experience. Take in the breath-taking views of the Pittsburgh skyline and an open kitchen to the back, and delight in our carefully prepared menu. We proudly serve the bounty of ingredients from local farms in Western PA.Continued
***Please notify maitre‘d when making reservation of any dietary needs such as food allergies, vegetarian, or vegan preferences.***
***Please notify maitre‘d when making reservation of any dietary needs such as food allergies, vegetarian, or vegan preferences.***
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Isabela on Grandview - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Isabela on Grandview reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (49)romantic (44)special occasion (41)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (18)notable wine list (15)hot spot (5)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great place to celebrate your anniversary!foodfan6687Dined on 11/22/2014As promised, we've returned for the second year in a row to celebrate our anniversary here. It was just as great this year as it was last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view and better foodMadforMofongoDined on 11/15/2014Delicious cuisine in prixe fix menu. Very attentive service. Beautiful view. Definitely recommend. Pricey but a very good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but service needs work.TerrijaneDined on 11/15/2014At the beginning of the meal the service was wonderful and the owner charming. The 4th course which is only a salad took a really long time to deliver. When we finally saw our server we decided to pass on the course altogether and just go straight to desert. We had waited to long and no longer wanted it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our guests from CA loved it so much we went back!bosslindaDined on 11/14/2014The restaurant is one of our favorites. But it will not be the same once George sells, he is a big part of the whole scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic evening - will do it againOutoftwnervisitingTorontoDined on 11/10/2014Great place, tiny but the food was super, the suggested wine list was excellent, the complimentary Champagne put us in the right mood, and the view was great. I definitely recommend for anyone who likes excellent food (in small tastefully presented portions), and wants to have an enjoyable evening. Best for couples, or parties of 4.Special Features:
- celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014food was excellent, service was great, view was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!NaranjalDined on 10/25/2014The Tasting Menu never disappoints. The owner, George is a gem of a gentleman!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60th wedding anniversaryConnie8Dined on 10/23/2014Our special day was made even more special from the time we entered (Happy Anniversary ) by the the hostess, to the table with the beautiful view of downtown Pittsburgh, to our very attentive waitress and the wonderful food. We had the prefix menu and were pleased with the selection (we each ordered different items so we could taste it all ) . We toasted our wonderful past 60 years of marriage with the complementary glass of champagne and will be back for our 65th .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experiencePTDorDined on 10/20/2014This was our first visit and it will not be our last. Not enough space here to properly address e!ach aspect of our meal but we each had the tasting menu and it was fantastic. We had the gnocchi, scallops, swordfish, red snapper, rib eye, and duck. Each course was better than the previous. The sorbet was the best my wife has tasted. In addition the the quality of the food you also get a lot for a tasting menu. You don't leave hungry. The service was attentive and polite. Everyone from the hostess and even parking attendant were friendly and welcoming. Our server was knowledgeable of the menu and very friendly. Some may come out for the view of the city which is beautiful but the food outshined the well lit point park fountain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One time deal.gemnetDined on 10/10/2014The scenic, especially at night, is beautiful. The restaurant is not very big. Kitchen and waiters/waitresses scrambling around. The portions are small. Must get appetizers or salad for a full meal. They offer a LA carte and Pris fixed menu for $75/pp. The table next to us ordered it. Portions are even smaller than a LA carte menu. I ordered the salmon, which was delicious and nicely cooked. My husband ordered the NY strip steak. Instead of a whole steak, the plate had 3 small slices of the steak. We ordered dessert. Also delicious. Great meal for me but my husband left hungry. He won't go back. The prices are not outrageous. Not sure why the restaurant has 4 $ signs.Special Features:
- Amazing view, great food and peopleBillDined on 10/6/2014One of the best dining views I've seen, and George is a tremendous host!! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- gottagoDined on 10/4/2014Everything we hoped for was present during our celebration at Isabela's. A very memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal & ambiancegoodfoodseekerDined on 10/4/2014First visit to Isabela. Was looking for a romantic spot for our wedding anniversary. The view from atop Mt Washington is as good as it gets, with a spectacular vista of the golden triangle area, rivers and stadiums. The dining room was intimate and quiet. The service was perfect - there when you needed it but not intrusive. The owner stopped by to offer us free champagne for our anniversary and inquire about our food. Speaking of the food, we ate from the chef's choice 7-course menu (only option on Saturday night), and every course was exquisitely prepared - a treat both in appearance and taste. Definitely ranks among our top dining experiences in Pittsburgh.Special Features:
- Very disappointedJeffVIPDined on 10/3/2014It was our first and last trip back to Isabela"s after a long absence. The remodeled dining room was an improvement. Two of us ordered from the Prix Fixe menu with wine parings. The other two ordered Ala Carte. The service was slow and maddeningly uneven. Our server was new, inexperienced, and uncaring. The medium rare venison was served cold rare. The medium duck was rare, and then the whole plate placed in a microwave for finishing. The wine pairings (not listed on the menu) were poured haphazardly throughout the meal, and not appropriately introduced. We could blame the experience on our server, but the fact that the management would even allow someone this poorly trained to serve customers is an indictment on the owners.
- High-quality DiningVegetarianFoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014the view from Isabela on Grandview is elevated since it's at the top of Mount Washington. And that elevation is an apt metaphor for the quality of its food and service. This time, we brought along a friend for her birthday. She's a veteran of Pittsburgh's developing restaurant scene and an excellent judge of quality dining. We were happy to see how much she enjoyed her first experience at Isabela. Since we were there on a Saturday, the menu was a multiple choice chef's tasting menu: four courses with three choices (that also allow for a mix-and-match), plus a sorbet and a salad designated by the chef. One member of our party also chose the wine pairing for the tasting menu. We enjoyed the birthday, and the owner gave us a souvenir picture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowDavesDiningReviewDined on 9/24/2014This was my first dining experience and now many more to come. From the perfect valet parking, warm reception, prompt seating and friendly, knowledgeable service. Food selection is well organized with a wide array of flavors. A finicky person would be delighted at the Isabela.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I love the view of the city from this restaurant. Very poor selection on the "Vegetarian Menu." They did a poor job of not handling loud and obnoxious guests that were drinking alcohol. Overall, very poor service and overpriced mediocre food and expensive low to medium-quality wine. I am sad to say that the only positive experiences were the view and the bread with whipped honey butter topped with sea salt. Based on this visit, I would not return or recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Wow!MScheweDined on 9/15/2014We have enjoyed fine restaurants all over the country, and this ranks right at the top! Imaginative menu, quality ingredients prepared exquisitely. Service was remarkable but not at all pretentious. Be sure to make a reservation for a better chance at a window table overlooking the city lights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The foodGreenHmDined on 9/12/2014The menu is full of gourmet type eating. Some dishes were not as good like the gnocci and the sword fish which was tough and lacked flavor. Sometimes I think that restaurants go too overboard with too much variance in the dishes they make.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing!TMathesonDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I visited Isabela on Grandview to celebrate his birthday, and the service, food, and wine were nothing less than spectacular. Executive Chef Jacqueline Wardle created earthy masterpieces with subtle but interesting flavors, and the sommelier's wine pairings were spot on. All of the wait staff were polite and knowledgable of the menu. The owner, George Merrick, came to our table twice to greet us and ask how our experience was, showing a unique interest in his business and ensuring his guests are happy. Highly recommended for a special evening out with breathtaking views of the city. Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choices and romanticJfenn73Dined on 9/10/2014We go here every year for our anniversary and just love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnetteVIPDined on 9/5/2014Great view but the food was not very good. The gnocchi tasted like paper. The service was good.. They try very hard with not much to work with
- Great view, Good FoodDCEmptyNesterDined on 8/28/2014Despite an unsightly billboard that disrupts the view a bit, this place has an extraordinary view of Pittsburgh. The food was delicious and the night my husband and I were there, the service was friendly but amateur (I'm guessing a high-school or college student). They'll need to invest in improvements to the exterior and entrance in professionalizing the staff to get to the next level but we enjoyed ourselves and I rather a "real" person as a server than a pretentious automaton. It's a good begining effort with lots of upside promise.Special Features:
- fabulous experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Fabulous experience. The outside of the restaurant is a little rugged, but gorgeous inside. The view is amazing and the service was outstanding. We really liked the multiple courses - portions were perfect-sized. Food was very good. I would highly recommend it, especially for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceBamaVIPDined on 8/18/2014The service was top notch and owner comes by a few times to make sure everything is fine .The food is best in the pittsburgh area that I have had .Special Features:
- Just okayJFisherDined on 8/15/2014My wife heard from a couple coworkers how good the food is at Isabela. The food is okay. The scallop appetizer was excellent, the Semolina Gnocchi was odd, alomost like bread pieces. Both my wife and I ordered the NY strip med-rare. Both steaks came medium. The salad at the end of the meal (before dessert) is useless. The four pieces of lettuce were not worth wait. We both ordered the blond chocolate cheesecake, it was not impressive at all. The service started out good, but the delay between courses grew as the night went on. It took almost 15 minutes to get our salad after removing our meat course plates. After finishing the salad, dessert was another 15 minutes. We were not in a rush, but dinner was almost 2 hours.Special Features:
- The best restaurant in Pittsburgh.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Isabela is the best combination of food, ambiance, service, and view that exists in Pittsburgh. Isabela's drink menu and cocktail creations start the evening of in the right way, and give a hint of the attention to detail the staff possess. The seven course menu is an example of culinary perfection that is not topical in Pittsburgh. Each course is sized and timed perfectly to ensure that the dinner is neither full nor agitated. This is all on to of the fact that the kitchen staff creates 7 of the most flexible courses I have ever experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GorgeousnichloeDined on 8/9/2014Everything was amazing- food, service, view. Perfect for a romantic dinner!! As we were eating fireworks lit the city sky. So pleased!!!Special Features:
- Not all it's cracked up to beumo3Dined on 8/8/2014I looked up several restaurants to find a very nice romantic place to take my wife. After reading several reviews I decided to eat here, since it was supposedly the most romantic restaurant in Pittsburgh. When we pulled up I was surprised to see the outside needed work. Not what I would expect from a fine dining restaurant. We decided on the prix fixe dinner so we could try a little bit of everything. Unfortunately nothing was that spectacular. The scallops we under cooked and the red snapper was over cooked. We have eaten at many fine dining restaurants and this is not one I would recommend. The service was great, the view was amazing, but the food was not that great and it was very loud.Special Features:
- Excellent!WikiDined on 8/2/2014A great place for site-view and birthday celebration with my BF. Love it and will be back!Special Features:
- Excellent food but pricey winesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This was our first time in this restaurant and we both agreed we would come back, regularly. Our only criticism was the mark up on the wine - it was ridiculous. Anywhere from 4-8x store cost; the sampler with your Sat dinner averaging about 6x. We did do the sampler with our dinner and although the wines were well chosen, not one bottle retailed over $20. We expected to overpay but we have never seen these kind of mark ups on what we would consider cheap wine. All things considered we would absolutely go back, the food was superb. For our future visit we will be more discerning in our wine choice.Special Features:
- The following 476 reviews are from the Isabela on Grandview reviews archive.
- One of my top 3, everCarlDined on 7/29/2014A summer Tuesday evening, early dinner. Essentially, we had a private room overlooking Pittsburgh and the junction of the 3 rivers. The server was knowledgeable, friendly, and because we were the only customers upstairs, free to discuss the menu at length. My spouse ordered the "Chef's Tasting", 7 courses; I had a main course and dessert, but was treated to the sorbet between my wife's other courses, anyhow. This place is so special that I would go back for certain. They even called on Monday to remind us politely of our reservation. If you don't mind the price, don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special celebrationvhinpghVIPDined on 7/17/2014We love going to Isabela's to celebrate something special. It is like a walk into a food network cooking show. They are very accommodating of food preferences/allergies even with the multiple course menu (there is even a vegetarian option). The waitstaff are very low key and pleasant, and while it is a special place, it is not at all pretentious. Our waiter, Ian, was wonderful. The little first course was black mission fig with goat cheese and was absolutely delicious and the halibut with mango sauce was amazing!Special Features:
- Missed stepMichaelDined on 7/7/2014We are frequent fliers at Isabella but this time the experience seemed flat. This was probably because the service was slow, disorganized and inadequate, whereas the food was as expected, fantastic and innovative. It is amazing how poor service can affect the dining experience.Special Features:
- Beautiful ExperienceKinja1998Dined on 7/4/2014This was our first visit to Isabella. The staff was welcoming and attentive. We were there on July 4th, and had a spectacular view of the the fireworks at Point State Park. The view is excellent without fireworks, though. The owner, George, was there dressed as Uncle Sam, and was a great hit with the customers. We think he is a perfect ambassador for the food scene in Pittsburgh. The food was imaginative, well-prepared, and definitely memorable. Excellent wine selection with a range of prices for any budget. I think any special occasion would be made even more special by celebrating it at Isabella on Grandview.Special Features:
- labsbeabmmDined on 7/1/2014We celebrated our 25th anniversary and couldn't be more pleased with the food or service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ultimate fine dining experiencejglovierDined on 6/30/2014Eight years ago next month I proposed to my wife at the Isabella on Grandview. Last weekend, we returned to celebrate her birthday. Both of my experiences at the Isabella have been amazing. The food is some of the finest dining I've ever encountered, the atmosphere is classy, and the view is unmatched. Both times we've had the Chef's tasting menu, and it was phenomenal. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chef's tastingWhatsfordinnerVIPDined on 6/27/2014Very attentive service and wonderful food in an incredible setting -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed spending our 27th Anniversary at Isabela on Grandview! The service was wonderful, from the time we entered until the time we left. We never felt rushed through our courses. The food was excellent, we very much enjoyed the Cheese Tasting Sampler as well as the presentation of our food. The Halibut was delicious as was the Steak. The view of the city was wonderful!!! We enjoyed every aspect of our evening at Isabela on Grandview.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Anniversary dinnerMemisDined on 6/23/2014This was my 1st visit to Isabella and it was wonderful. We had the option of having the Chef's tasting menu or ordering ala carte. We decided on ala carte. We will usually order a cheese plate appetizer where it is offered and this was DEFINITELY the best we have ever had. In addition to the cheese it had homemade crackers, fresh figs, blackberries & nuts. The dinners and desserts were excellent! I had the Seven Falls chardonney from Washington state & it was great. The owner came to our table and also took a picture of my husband, daughter and I. He returned later and gave us a print out of it. We had a window table with a beautiful view of the city. I would definitely go back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.