Isabela on Grandview
1318 Grandview Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Isabela on Grandview
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.isabelaongrandview.com/
- Phone: 4124315882x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jacqueline Wardle
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private rooms with fabulous views of downtown Pittsburgh for 10-44 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jackie Foster 4124315882x
- Special Events: We offer our full menu to parties of 1 to 44 people. Toss in a mixture of fine food, specially selected wines, and award-winning views and you have an event to remember! We specialize in events for either business or family. Give us a call to book your event!
A word from Isabela on Grandview
Isabela on Grandview is an elegant and intimate restaurant featuring an innovative prix-fixe menu Monday through Saturday and additionally an a la carte menu Monday through Friday. Recently awarded one of OpenTable.com 100 Most Romantic Restaurants nation-wide, we take pride in offering a memorable dining experience. Take in the breath-taking views of the Pittsburgh skyline and an open kitchen to the back, and delight in our carefully prepared menu. We proudly serve the bounty of ingredients from local farms in Western PA.Continued
***Please notify maitre‘d when making reservation of any dietary needs such as food allergies, vegetarian, or vegan preferences.***
***Please notify maitre‘d when making reservation of any dietary needs such as food allergies, vegetarian, or vegan preferences.***
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Isabela on Grandview - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Isabela on Grandview reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (57)romantic (49)special occasion (48)fit for foodies (31)notable wine list (20)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- My favorite Pittsburgh restaurant.Lookin4theplaceDined on 11/16/2013I highly recommend this restaurant for special occasions, when you can go all out, get the full Prix-Fixe menu and the wine testing experience. The portions for us were perfect, perhaps less in quantity than one has come to expect in other establishments, though more than compensated for in quality and variety. Gentlemen, if this restaurant does not work for you, you need to find another date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy anniversary to us!!GoodEaterDined on 11/15/2013Very wonderful welcome beginning w/ parking valet, continuing to the hostess, and then George (owner) welcoming us to "his house." All the staff was knowledgeable, sharing wine pairings, information on food preparation, and guiding us in any choice we weren't sure of. They didn't miss on anything: food, service, the view, all exemplary. Thank you George and staff.Special Features:
- Atmospherediningout1Dined on 11/15/2013The food was good and the owner was great. The only thing that we didn't care for was the atmosphere. We couldn't understand that since is known as being a romantic restaurant why it wasn't more so. The lights were up so that the conversations were louder in the place as well as tables were on top of each other. You could hear what the people at the next table were talking about. There is also no soft background music to add to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/4/2013Everything from the decor, to the service, and of course the food was top notch!! We will be back again!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerTmhst26Dined on 10/26/2013We had a delightful anniversary dinner. Seated next to window for lovely view. Good was exceptional and wine pairing was excellent. Probably the best dinner we've had in pittsburgh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely & richIrinaDined on 10/18/2013We had a very gracious bday dinner at Isabela's starting with complimentary sparkling wine. We had asked for a table with a view. Though that was not available when we first sat, the staff moved us as soon as one became available. The food was excellent if a bit on the rich side. A little too much cream in many of the sauces. The only other problem was a noisy large table of young women behind us--they made too much noise. We still loved it and will go back.Special Features:
- First TimerswatsonDined on 10/12/2013My girlfriend and I had a great time there. Great food and fantastic view of Pittsburgh. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Culinary AdventurePierced100Dined on 9/16/2013We did the Price Fix for a B'day. Dining here is a true event. Makes a special occasion SPECIAL for sure! Wait staff knows the menu and answers questions with a smile. Elegant yet no pretense! I love Isabela and we are already planning our next dinner date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for an anniversaryPittGradDined on 9/14/2013We recently celebrated our fourth anniversary at Isabela on Grandview. The food was unlike anything else you will find in Pittsburgh. Each course was perfectly prepared and seasoned. The food is incredible. It is expensive but you get what you pay for-- the chef is very talented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerpittsburghdinersDined on 9/14/2013Isabela's is perfect for a romatic, quiet dinner for two. The room overall is on the quiet side, which we prefer, since if we wanted noisy, we'd stay at home and eat with our three children. The view is fantastic as was the food and the service. Come hungry for the seven course dinner. The elegance is understated and you are not rushed. We were there for two hours for our meal, a treat not to be rushed. We ordered the wine flight with our dinners and enjoyed some wines we had not tried before. A must visit for your next romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our meal very much.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2013We enjoyed our meal very much. Particularly enjoyed the sea scallops appetizer and the swordfish entrée. Thought both the wine and gin/rocks were skimpy, though.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view was amazing and theSusanDined on 8/31/2013The view was amazing and the food was delicious. Excellent service and enjoyed the wine tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better than before!laineeDined on 8/10/2013This is the 1st time we've been since new ownership & we REALLY enjoy it. So much so that my husband decreed it his new "Favorite Restaurant". We dine out in the PGH area frequently & have been to all the "foodie" spots. Quality of ingredients & spot-on prep. & presentation really stood out on this night. The combination of fine food, great service, fantastic view & ease of getting a reservation will keep this on our agenda, definitely more frequently than before. We enjoyed being able to carry on a conversation without shouting & constantly saying "What?". The loudness of many PGH fine restaurants defy coherent conversations, and I WANT to be able to really relax, enjoy my meal and socialize with those with whom I dine! Here, you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Views--Outstanding FoodDiningdivaVIPDined on 8/9/2013This was our first time at Isabela. We frequent the LeMont Restaurant a few doors down. On the recommendation of friends we tried Isabela and were glad that we did. It will not be hard to recommend Isabelaa to friends and relatives. This will be the first of many times to IsabelaSpecial Features:
- The food was good but notOccasionalDinerDined on 8/7/2013The food was good but not worth the price that they have listed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyStephDined on 8/3/2013I normally do not write reviews, but felt I should for this visit. We were very disappointed in our dining experience at Isabela's. For the high price tag on the pre-fix menu we expected top notch. The food was not great, in fact there were a couple of dishes that were not finished. The view was wonderful, but there are plenty of other restaurants on the hill with a great view. This was our first trip to Pittsburgh. Wow...what an awesome city. Our trip to Isabela's was the most expensive single event of our trip and unfortunately, the least favorite.Special Features:
- PairingsWilieDined on 7/18/2013We made a trek up the Duquesne Incline and walked a block to a curious looking entrance. But inside the setting was comfortable and were greeted warmly. We dined upstairs and had a great view of the cityscape. But the most memorable part was the food and wine pairings. We chose the Prix Fixe. They started out light and ended with a dessert pairing that made by friend gasp. She is from Louisiana and to impress her with food better than we've had there is a treat. We both enjoyed the Cobia as neither had ever experienced. She loved the pork tenderloin. Portions were perfect if you've never tried this. And providing her a list of the pairings so as to remember it all was special. She proclaimed it her favorite to return to the next time in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner!Drums46Dined on 7/16/2013My husband and I enjoyed all aspects of our anniversary dinner at Isabela's. we loved the serene atmosphere. You can actually talk to each other in a normal voice without being bombarded with loud music or other diners. The views are magnificent. The food was special. We both had the tasting menu. The a la carte menu looked great too and we will return to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerRachVIPDined on 7/13/2013As a native Pittsburgher, I am very wary of dinners on Mount Washington. Since the view is amazing, many restaurants do not put out great food and are expensive. I was wrong with Isabella's. For our 10th dating anniversary, we sat along the windows overlooking the three rivers for a seven-course tasting with wine pairings. Each course was creative, delicious and appropriately sized with my favorite being the petit ribeye over sautéed corn, spinach and a corn soufflé. My husband equally loved his duck with foie gras and fruits. I saved room for dessert and it was worth it. We both ordered the peanut butter and chocolate plate with rich peanut butter mousse. George, the manager, sent us home with a keepsake photo and we watched fireworks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2013Not being from Pittsburgh it was a stunning place to have a dinner. My girlfriend and I were celebrating her birthday. We were seated in the corner with a great view across the city. The food was excellent and the service even more so. Perhaps in the future we will return to celebrate other occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewDiningDined on 7/5/2013Great service and delicious menu. Looking forward to visit it with my family in the near future :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2013We were very impressed the first time we dined here in January, but the food was not nearly as good this time. Everyone in our group of 6 did the price fixe menu, and everyone thought most of the courses were good, not great (the duck was the lone exception that got excellent reviews all around). In January, the chef took basic ingredients and made them stand out. This time, it seemed like the chef was trying too hard to be different just to be different, and forgot to take care of the main ingredients. Too bad, because in January, I had concluded that this was the best restaurant I had dined at in Pittsburgh. After this second round, I won't be rushing back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTheodoreDined on 7/1/2013Went for an anniversary and the all around experience was exceptional. It is a small dining area so arrangements can be a bit close, however the view, food, and service all more than make up for the minor inconvenience. We both had various items off of the tasting menu and none left you disappointed. Recommend the chocolate cake for desert - incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among the best in PittsburghOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/25/2013Isabella is certainly among the best restaurants in Pittsburgh these days. At Isabella you get world-class food along with the spectacular view of the confluence of our three rivers. The prix fixe multi-course meal is definitely the way to go...smaller portions and a great variety of tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed this restaurant forbad22Dined on 6/1/2013Enjoyed this restaurant for a special occasion. Things to improve on are the kitchen smoke was too close to the guests and eyes were burning during entire experience. That alone ruined my experience. I also ordered a ribeye and frankly I can grill a better ribeye home. I won't order that ever again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great dinner withTbirdVIPDined on 5/29/2013We had a great dinner with fabulous food and wine.Special Features:
- Peak DiningVegetarianFoodieDined on 5/29/2013My first dinner at Isabela on Grandview was as close to perfect as any meal I can remember. I went with the tasting menu and paired wine flight, and each bite and each sip was a joy. The presentation and service were both excellent. Our server, Justin, also poured the wine, and each vintage came with a delightful story about its special qualities. Both he and Amanda, who assisted him, seemed as delighted as I was whenever I expressed my pleasure over the food. Other restaurants along Grandview have a comparably wonderful view of the Triangle, but Isabella offers a dining experience that surpasses that beautiful vista.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect evening!FoodFanDined on 5/25/2013I can't imagine how our dining experience could have been improved upon. George (the owner) greets each guest personally. The food, staff and ambiance are beyond excellent. The view is outstanding! Our evening included a complimentary framed photo of our experience. Everything they do at Isabela on Grandview is over-the-top! I would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance and a ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2013Isabela on Grandview has a spectacular view of the city and river. It is intimate and wonderful for a quiet romantic dinner. The food is outstanding and beautifully prepared. The food servers were attentive and professional. We went for our anniversary and would definitely be back for another dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner at IsabellaLindaVIPDined on 5/25/2013My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Isabella this weekend. We had not been there in several years, and our experience was wonderful. The food was superb and, despite 7 courses, the portion sizes were perfect. I am not much of a meat eater and wasn't terribly excited about my choices of rib eye, duck, or lamb for the meat course. However, I ordered the ribeye and ate every bite - it was cooked so expertly. I even recommended it to a diner sitting next to us when he couldn't decide. The soft shell crabs were outstanding as well. Service was at a high level and friendly, but not intrusive. And we so appreciated that most patrons made an effort to dress nicely. We will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wednesday nite dinner at 7pmLive2dineDined on 5/22/2013Areas for improvement: 1. 2nd floor area way too noisy, for a couple, should be a romantic night, two large tables of 8 to 10 people in the same space, didnt lend itself to a romantic quiet dinner with a view of pittsburgh. It sounded like we are in a corner bar. considerations, put large parties on the 1st level, keep the upper level for tables of 4 or tables of 2. Finally, menu selection is limited, especially if one has sensitivity to animals such as lamb, duck, veal.....another fish selection would be nice, and possibly a poultry type dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinneremk0604Dined on 5/17/2013We ordered a la carte and it was excellent, and the view is spectacular. We are definitely going to go back and try the tasting menu. Service was great and the wine list is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fabulous, always feel welcomeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/11/2013Isabela has hit its stride again, the new chef is doing a great job. Losing Dan and Sherri was a shame but it's still a gem. Justin is the BEST!Special Features:
- Grand view, grand dinnermamabearVIPDined on 4/29/2013Son and I took my husband here for birthday dinner. A friend had recommended it as the best place in Pittsburgh for a special occasion and we were not disappointed. The staff was friendly and helpful, the wine list was excellent, the menu was creative and satisfying, and the view spectacular. Thanks for a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing views over Pittsburgh.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2013Amazing views over Pittsburgh. Food was fantastic, we had the Fixed 7 course menu which was really good. Decor is looking a bit out-dated but happy to overlook that given the quality of the food and the fantastic views.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in PittsburghRogerVIPDined on 4/22/2013My fourth visit to the restaurant. Great service, terrific food, and incredible view over Pittsburgh.Special Features:
- My friend and I had the mostOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2013My friend and I had the most amazing time!! The food was phenomenal!! The wait staff were really nice as well.Special Features:
- the seven course meal wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/18/2013the seven course meal was great, except for the salad which did not stand out for either of us. Bigger ala carte menu would be nice.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013Our expectations were greater than what was delivered, although the mushroom ravioli was excellent. The remainder of the meal was mediocre at best. Was a disappointed but the view was grand.
- This is a special experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013This is a special experience! The food was very good. Reasonable portions so that you could actually eat it all and be comfortably full. We sat at a table in the bar area, you can't miss a "fantastic view" anywhere in the restaurant, however next time, we will definitely make sure to sit upstairs ... even better! The proprietor, George, introduced himself and we had a nice chat ... clearly he cares about your experience! Very nice evening and we even got lucky as there were fireworks at PNC Park after the game!Special Features: