Isabela on Grandview
1318 Grandview Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Isabela on Grandview
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.isabelaongrandview.com/
- Phone: (412) 431-5882
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jacqueline Wardle
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private rooms with fabulous views of downtown Pittsburgh for 10-44 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jackie Foster 4124315882x
- Special Events: We offer our full menu to parties of 1 to 44 people. Toss in a mixture of fine food, specially selected wines, and award-winning views and you have an event to remember! We specialize in events for either business or family. Give us a call to book your event!
A word from Isabela on Grandview
Isabela on Grandview is an elegant and intimate restaurant featuring an innovative prix-fixe menu Monday through Saturday and additionally an a la carte menu Monday through Friday. Recently awarded one of OpenTable.com 100 Most Romantic Restaurants nation-wide, we take pride in offering a memorable dining experience. Take in the breath-taking views of the Pittsburgh skyline and an open kitchen to the back, and delight in our carefully prepared menu. We proudly serve the bounty of ingredients from local farms in Western PA.Continued
***Please notify maitre‘d when making reservation of any dietary needs such as food allergies, vegetarian, or vegan preferences.***
***Please notify maitre‘d when making reservation of any dietary needs such as food allergies, vegetarian, or vegan preferences.***
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Isabela on Grandview - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Isabela on Grandview reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (49)romantic (44)special occasion (41)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (17)notable wine list (15)hot spot (5)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2013Isabela always got wrapped up in my mind with the other overrated restaurants on Mt. Washington, I was wrong. It was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very welcoming. It was ourOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/28/2013Very welcoming. It was our anniversary and the owner gave us a complimentary glass of champagne. The picture in a frame was another special touch. Expensive but memorable a was the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Special Occasion DinnerSoutherNewfieDined on 12/28/2013My wife and I stayed downtown for a getaway weekend. We selected this restaurant based on recommendations from our friends. It didn't disappoint. We had a fantastic seven course meal, great view of the city and the service was second to none. To top it all off, at the end of the night we had asked the hostess to call us a taxi. The owner (who was visible throughout the dining area all evening confirming everything was good and taking photo's of couples) over heard our need for transportation and had them bring his car around and he personally brought us back to our hotel. I have never experienced an owner do this before, absolutely the best service we have ever received. We have since moved away from Pittsburgh but there is no doubt if we ever find ourselves back there, this is the first restaurant we would re-visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Isabela'styson2Dined on 12/27/2013What a treasure! This little gem on Mt. Washington surprised me as I walked in the front door. My son and I were greeted by a lovely young woman who took us to our table on the second floor. The view of the point was magnificent as the tree was lit up in all its glory. There was great attention to detail as we were served each of our courses. The servers were well schooled and helpful as we made our selections. We decided to try the flat fee $75 dinner and we each selected something different so we could try each others dishes. They were all winners. Especially loved the Scallop appetizer. A sweet touch ending our evening was the owner of the restaurant coming to our table and taking our picture and giving it to us as a souvenir.Special Features:
- Expected more on December 26th577nitroVIPDined on 12/26/2013We chose Isabela for my fiancé birthday as we understood it to be a truly "great" restaurant and experience. We dine out very often so maybe we our anticipation was too high. 7:30 reservation and valet parking was on the ball and we were seated immediately, all good. Owner Goerge greeted us at the table and when told of the birthday got s complimentary champagne, very nice. We chose the ala carte menu rather than the price fixed tasting. Had 2 appetizers being he cheese plate and ravioli. Entrees were steak and salmon. Well the good ended with the food. Cheese plate was really poor, entrees VERY small, accompanying sides small and just "meh" . Sorry to say the food which was to be the highlight was very average at best and dissapointing.Special Features:
- Great view with a personal touchRiversideParkerDined on 12/26/2013I took my parents to the small, out-of-the-way Isabella for their 53rd anniversary. The host/owner couldn't have been nicer -- we received a great table (there are no bad ones) and a complimentary champagne toast. The server was helpful, knowledgeable, and just the right balance of attentive and unobtrusive. The wine list, though small, was well selected and the server helped us pick a good one. All the dishes were excellent, butI recommend the seven-course prix fixe. Regardless of how you order, don't skip dessert -- it's worth the calories. Overall we had a wonderful dinner, at a restaurant with much better, more personable and personal service than you'd get at the larger, older Grandview Ave spots. Isabella is well worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in PittsburghDiegoDined on 12/21/2013My fiance and I chose Isabella's to celebrate our engagement. It was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal anniversary dinnerRobbinDined on 12/16/2013We went to Isabela on Grandview for our three year anniversary and our dining experience was absolutely wonderful. The nighttime view was amazing. The restaurant is pleasantly small and quaint. The service was exceptionally personal. The food was to die for. Each course really complimented each other and the wine recommendations from our server enhanced our experience perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/14/2013We have been here a few times before but it's been a while since our last visit. We loved the tasting menu and the wine parings. Much of the food was prepared and presented so nicely it was hard to start eating it. But the flavors and smells were fantastic. It was one of those dinners we will remember for a long time. If you haven't been in a while or been before .. do yourself a favor and go here. It is well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very creative menuGeorgeA2Dined on 12/10/2013Each course is an experience and delight of it's own! You can't gop wrong with any choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special date night perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/30/2013Isabela was exactly what we hoped it would be, a wonderful spot for a romantic date night. It's a tall, narrow restaurant, perched on Mt Washington with huge windows looking out over Pittsburgh's amazing skyline. We went on a Saturday, where the only option was the tasting menu, which was delightful. You make some selections, while the kitchen makes others, and the plates are sized so it ends up being a sizable, but manageable meal. The front of house staff could definitely use a bit of polish, but the charm of the place, and of course George, plus the great smells coming from the open kitchen, make this a wonderful spot for a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantChadDined on 11/29/2013I took my fiancee to the Isabela the night we got engaged. The atmosphere of the restaurant upon walking in set the stage as very welcoming by the hostess, valets, and waitresses/waiters and the view of the city Pittsburgh made for a very romantic evening. We did the Pre-Fixe dinner option and got a taste of everything which was all delicious. Mr Merrick, who was a great host, walks around and asks if he could take a complimentary photo of you and prints it out as a memorabilia of your experience which is a very nice touch. I'm looking forward to my next visit especially since this was my fiancee and I's restaurant of choice for our special night, I'm sure it'll always be an anniversary favorite for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/29/2013My wife and I dined at Isabela for a night out, and had a fabulous meal. The food is top notch, we did the prix fixe menu which did not disappoint. Very interesting wine list and the views of the city can't be beat. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/25/2013Isabella's has an excellent view of the city, friendly and professional service, and delicious food. I'd definitely recommend this place for a nice date or celebratory dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and viewEatoutoftenVIPDined on 11/23/2013A tight space with a great view of downtown and an excellent tasting menu (good sized portions of creative food). Wine flight was a good value. And for the finale, George, the owner, takes a picture of your table and presents it as you leave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary Spotfoodfan6687Dined on 11/22/2013This was our first time at a fine dining restaurant, and let me tell you, this place was AMAZING! To start off, they offered complimentary valet. This was great because there didn't seem to be any public lots around and there is very little street parking around. We were given a very nice window seat which offered a spectacular view of downtown. The owner came around to all of the tables to great the guests. He also offered to take a nice photo of each table which was then printed given out as a little souvenir. All in all, everything was great...especially the food! My wife and I plan on making visiting this restaurant a tradition for our anniversaries to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad they have ala carte menuvhinpghVIPDined on 11/21/2013Before this, I had only been there for all inclusive dinner, which is great, but it was nice to be able to order off the ala carte menu. Everything was delicious, but I especially enjoyed the side dishes. Great view!Special Features:
- My favorite Pittsburgh restaurant.Lookin4theplaceDined on 11/16/2013I highly recommend this restaurant for special occasions, when you can go all out, get the full Prix-Fixe menu and the wine testing experience. The portions for us were perfect, perhaps less in quantity than one has come to expect in other establishments, though more than compensated for in quality and variety. Gentlemen, if this restaurant does not work for you, you need to find another date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy anniversary to us!!GoodEaterDined on 11/15/2013Very wonderful welcome beginning w/ parking valet, continuing to the hostess, and then George (owner) welcoming us to "his house." All the staff was knowledgeable, sharing wine pairings, information on food preparation, and guiding us in any choice we weren't sure of. They didn't miss on anything: food, service, the view, all exemplary. Thank you George and staff.Special Features:
- Atmospherediningout1Dined on 11/15/2013The food was good and the owner was great. The only thing that we didn't care for was the atmosphere. We couldn't understand that since is known as being a romantic restaurant why it wasn't more so. The lights were up so that the conversations were louder in the place as well as tables were on top of each other. You could hear what the people at the next table were talking about. There is also no soft background music to add to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/4/2013Everything from the decor, to the service, and of course the food was top notch!! We will be back again!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerTmhst26Dined on 10/26/2013We had a delightful anniversary dinner. Seated next to window for lovely view. Good was exceptional and wine pairing was excellent. Probably the best dinner we've had in pittsburgh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely & richIrinaDined on 10/18/2013We had a very gracious bday dinner at Isabela's starting with complimentary sparkling wine. We had asked for a table with a view. Though that was not available when we first sat, the staff moved us as soon as one became available. The food was excellent if a bit on the rich side. A little too much cream in many of the sauces. The only other problem was a noisy large table of young women behind us--they made too much noise. We still loved it and will go back.Special Features:
- First TimerswatsonDined on 10/12/2013My girlfriend and I had a great time there. Great food and fantastic view of Pittsburgh. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Culinary AdventurePierced100Dined on 9/16/2013We did the Price Fix for a B'day. Dining here is a true event. Makes a special occasion SPECIAL for sure! Wait staff knows the menu and answers questions with a smile. Elegant yet no pretense! I love Isabela and we are already planning our next dinner date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for an anniversaryPittGradDined on 9/14/2013We recently celebrated our fourth anniversary at Isabela on Grandview. The food was unlike anything else you will find in Pittsburgh. Each course was perfectly prepared and seasoned. The food is incredible. It is expensive but you get what you pay for-- the chef is very talented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerpittsburghdinersDined on 9/14/2013Isabela's is perfect for a romatic, quiet dinner for two. The room overall is on the quiet side, which we prefer, since if we wanted noisy, we'd stay at home and eat with our three children. The view is fantastic as was the food and the service. Come hungry for the seven course dinner. The elegance is understated and you are not rushed. We were there for two hours for our meal, a treat not to be rushed. We ordered the wine flight with our dinners and enjoyed some wines we had not tried before. A must visit for your next romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our meal very much.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2013We enjoyed our meal very much. Particularly enjoyed the sea scallops appetizer and the swordfish entrée. Thought both the wine and gin/rocks were skimpy, though.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view was amazing and theSusanDined on 8/31/2013The view was amazing and the food was delicious. Excellent service and enjoyed the wine tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better than before!laineeDined on 8/10/2013This is the 1st time we've been since new ownership & we REALLY enjoy it. So much so that my husband decreed it his new "Favorite Restaurant". We dine out in the PGH area frequently & have been to all the "foodie" spots. Quality of ingredients & spot-on prep. & presentation really stood out on this night. The combination of fine food, great service, fantastic view & ease of getting a reservation will keep this on our agenda, definitely more frequently than before. We enjoyed being able to carry on a conversation without shouting & constantly saying "What?". The loudness of many PGH fine restaurants defy coherent conversations, and I WANT to be able to really relax, enjoy my meal and socialize with those with whom I dine! Here, you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Views--Outstanding FoodDiningdivaVIPDined on 8/9/2013This was our first time at Isabela. We frequent the LeMont Restaurant a few doors down. On the recommendation of friends we tried Isabela and were glad that we did. It will not be hard to recommend Isabelaa to friends and relatives. This will be the first of many times to IsabelaSpecial Features:
- The food was good but notOccasionalDinerDined on 8/7/2013The food was good but not worth the price that they have listed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyStephDined on 8/3/2013I normally do not write reviews, but felt I should for this visit. We were very disappointed in our dining experience at Isabela's. For the high price tag on the pre-fix menu we expected top notch. The food was not great, in fact there were a couple of dishes that were not finished. The view was wonderful, but there are plenty of other restaurants on the hill with a great view. This was our first trip to Pittsburgh. Wow...what an awesome city. Our trip to Isabela's was the most expensive single event of our trip and unfortunately, the least favorite.Special Features:
- PairingsWilieDined on 7/18/2013We made a trek up the Duquesne Incline and walked a block to a curious looking entrance. But inside the setting was comfortable and were greeted warmly. We dined upstairs and had a great view of the cityscape. But the most memorable part was the food and wine pairings. We chose the Prix Fixe. They started out light and ended with a dessert pairing that made by friend gasp. She is from Louisiana and to impress her with food better than we've had there is a treat. We both enjoyed the Cobia as neither had ever experienced. She loved the pork tenderloin. Portions were perfect if you've never tried this. And providing her a list of the pairings so as to remember it all was special. She proclaimed it her favorite to return to the next time in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner!Drums46Dined on 7/16/2013My husband and I enjoyed all aspects of our anniversary dinner at Isabela's. we loved the serene atmosphere. You can actually talk to each other in a normal voice without being bombarded with loud music or other diners. The views are magnificent. The food was special. We both had the tasting menu. The a la carte menu looked great too and we will return to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerRachVIPDined on 7/13/2013As a native Pittsburgher, I am very wary of dinners on Mount Washington. Since the view is amazing, many restaurants do not put out great food and are expensive. I was wrong with Isabella's. For our 10th dating anniversary, we sat along the windows overlooking the three rivers for a seven-course tasting with wine pairings. Each course was creative, delicious and appropriately sized with my favorite being the petit ribeye over sautéed corn, spinach and a corn soufflé. My husband equally loved his duck with foie gras and fruits. I saved room for dessert and it was worth it. We both ordered the peanut butter and chocolate plate with rich peanut butter mousse. George, the manager, sent us home with a keepsake photo and we watched fireworks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2013Not being from Pittsburgh it was a stunning place to have a dinner. My girlfriend and I were celebrating her birthday. We were seated in the corner with a great view across the city. The food was excellent and the service even more so. Perhaps in the future we will return to celebrate other occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewDiningDined on 7/5/2013Great service and delicious menu. Looking forward to visit it with my family in the near future :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2013We were very impressed the first time we dined here in January, but the food was not nearly as good this time. Everyone in our group of 6 did the price fixe menu, and everyone thought most of the courses were good, not great (the duck was the lone exception that got excellent reviews all around). In January, the chef took basic ingredients and made them stand out. This time, it seemed like the chef was trying too hard to be different just to be different, and forgot to take care of the main ingredients. Too bad, because in January, I had concluded that this was the best restaurant I had dined at in Pittsburgh. After this second round, I won't be rushing back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTheodoreDined on 7/1/2013Went for an anniversary and the all around experience was exceptional. It is a small dining area so arrangements can be a bit close, however the view, food, and service all more than make up for the minor inconvenience. We both had various items off of the tasting menu and none left you disappointed. Recommend the chocolate cake for desert - incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.