Isabela on Grandview
1318 Grandview Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Isabela on Grandview
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.isabelaongrandview.com/
- Phone: 4124315882x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jacqueline Wardle
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private rooms with fabulous views of downtown Pittsburgh for 10-44 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jackie Foster 4124315882x
- Special Events: We offer our full menu to parties of 1 to 44 people. Toss in a mixture of fine food, specially selected wines, and award-winning views and you have an event to remember! We specialize in events for either business or family. Give us a call to book your event!
A word from Isabela on Grandview
Isabela on Grandview is an elegant and intimate restaurant featuring an innovative prix-fixe menu Monday through Saturday and additionally an a la carte menu Monday through Friday. Recently awarded one of OpenTable.com 100 Most Romantic Restaurants nation-wide, we take pride in offering a memorable dining experience. Take in the breath-taking views of the Pittsburgh skyline and an open kitchen to the back, and delight in our carefully prepared menu. We proudly serve the bounty of ingredients from local farms in Western PA.Continued
***Please notify maitre‘d when making reservation of any dietary needs such as food allergies, vegetarian, or vegan preferences.***
***Please notify maitre‘d when making reservation of any dietary needs such as food allergies, vegetarian, or vegan preferences.***
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Isabela on Grandview - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Isabela on Grandview reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (52)romantic (45)special occasion (42)fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (17)notable wine list (15)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- One time deal.gemnetDined on 10/10/2014The scenic, especially at night, is beautiful. The restaurant is not very big. Kitchen and waiters/waitresses scrambling around. The portions are small. Must get appetizers or salad for a full meal. They offer a LA carte and Pris fixed menu for $75/pp. The table next to us ordered it. Portions are even smaller than a LA carte menu. I ordered the salmon, which was delicious and nicely cooked. My husband ordered the NY strip steak. Instead of a whole steak, the plate had 3 small slices of the steak. We ordered dessert. Also delicious. Great meal for me but my husband left hungry. He won't go back. The prices are not outrageous. Not sure why the restaurant has 4 $ signs.Special Features:
- Amazing view, great food and peopleBillDined on 10/6/2014One of the best dining views I've seen, and George is a tremendous host!! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- gottagoDined on 10/4/2014Everything we hoped for was present during our celebration at Isabela's. A very memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal & ambiancegoodfoodseekerDined on 10/4/2014First visit to Isabela. Was looking for a romantic spot for our wedding anniversary. The view from atop Mt Washington is as good as it gets, with a spectacular vista of the golden triangle area, rivers and stadiums. The dining room was intimate and quiet. The service was perfect - there when you needed it but not intrusive. The owner stopped by to offer us free champagne for our anniversary and inquire about our food. Speaking of the food, we ate from the chef's choice 7-course menu (only option on Saturday night), and every course was exquisitely prepared - a treat both in appearance and taste. Definitely ranks among our top dining experiences in Pittsburgh.Special Features:
- Very disappointedJeffDined on 10/3/2014It was our first and last trip back to Isabela"s after a long absence. The remodeled dining room was an improvement. Two of us ordered from the Prix Fixe menu with wine parings. The other two ordered Ala Carte. The service was slow and maddeningly uneven. Our server was new, inexperienced, and uncaring. The medium rare venison was served cold rare. The medium duck was rare, and then the whole plate placed in a microwave for finishing. The wine pairings (not listed on the menu) were poured haphazardly throughout the meal, and not appropriately introduced. We could blame the experience on our server, but the fact that the management would even allow someone this poorly trained to serve customers is an indictment on the owners.
- High-quality DiningVegetarianFoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014the view from Isabela on Grandview is elevated since it's at the top of Mount Washington. And that elevation is an apt metaphor for the quality of its food and service. This time, we brought along a friend for her birthday. She's a veteran of Pittsburgh's developing restaurant scene and an excellent judge of quality dining. We were happy to see how much she enjoyed her first experience at Isabela. Since we were there on a Saturday, the menu was a multiple choice chef's tasting menu: four courses with three choices (that also allow for a mix-and-match), plus a sorbet and a salad designated by the chef. One member of our party also chose the wine pairing for the tasting menu. We enjoyed the birthday, and the owner gave us a souvenir picture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowDavesDiningReviewDined on 9/24/2014This was my first dining experience and now many more to come. From the perfect valet parking, warm reception, prompt seating and friendly, knowledgeable service. Food selection is well organized with a wide array of flavors. A finicky person would be delighted at the Isabela.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I love the view of the city from this restaurant. Very poor selection on the "Vegetarian Menu." They did a poor job of not handling loud and obnoxious guests that were drinking alcohol. Overall, very poor service and overpriced mediocre food and expensive low to medium-quality wine. I am sad to say that the only positive experiences were the view and the bread with whipped honey butter topped with sea salt. Based on this visit, I would not return or recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Wow!MScheweDined on 9/15/2014We have enjoyed fine restaurants all over the country, and this ranks right at the top! Imaginative menu, quality ingredients prepared exquisitely. Service was remarkable but not at all pretentious. Be sure to make a reservation for a better chance at a window table overlooking the city lights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The foodGreenHmDined on 9/12/2014The menu is full of gourmet type eating. Some dishes were not as good like the gnocci and the sword fish which was tough and lacked flavor. Sometimes I think that restaurants go too overboard with too much variance in the dishes they make.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing!TMathesonDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I visited Isabela on Grandview to celebrate his birthday, and the service, food, and wine were nothing less than spectacular. Executive Chef Jacqueline Wardle created earthy masterpieces with subtle but interesting flavors, and the sommelier's wine pairings were spot on. All of the wait staff were polite and knowledgable of the menu. The owner, George Merrick, came to our table twice to greet us and ask how our experience was, showing a unique interest in his business and ensuring his guests are happy. Highly recommended for a special evening out with breathtaking views of the city. Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choices and romanticJfenn73Dined on 9/10/2014We go here every year for our anniversary and just love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnetteVIPDined on 9/5/2014Great view but the food was not very good. The gnocchi tasted like paper. The service was good.. They try very hard with not much to work with
- Great view, Good FoodDCEmptyNesterDined on 8/28/2014Despite an unsightly billboard that disrupts the view a bit, this place has an extraordinary view of Pittsburgh. The food was delicious and the night my husband and I were there, the service was friendly but amateur (I'm guessing a high-school or college student). They'll need to invest in improvements to the exterior and entrance in professionalizing the staff to get to the next level but we enjoyed ourselves and I rather a "real" person as a server than a pretentious automaton. It's a good begining effort with lots of upside promise.Special Features:
- fabulous experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Fabulous experience. The outside of the restaurant is a little rugged, but gorgeous inside. The view is amazing and the service was outstanding. We really liked the multiple courses - portions were perfect-sized. Food was very good. I would highly recommend it, especially for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceBamaVIPDined on 8/18/2014The service was top notch and owner comes by a few times to make sure everything is fine .The food is best in the pittsburgh area that I have had .Special Features:
- Just okayJFisherDined on 8/15/2014My wife heard from a couple coworkers how good the food is at Isabela. The food is okay. The scallop appetizer was excellent, the Semolina Gnocchi was odd, alomost like bread pieces. Both my wife and I ordered the NY strip med-rare. Both steaks came medium. The salad at the end of the meal (before dessert) is useless. The four pieces of lettuce were not worth wait. We both ordered the blond chocolate cheesecake, it was not impressive at all. The service started out good, but the delay between courses grew as the night went on. It took almost 15 minutes to get our salad after removing our meat course plates. After finishing the salad, dessert was another 15 minutes. We were not in a rush, but dinner was almost 2 hours.Special Features:
- The best restaurant in Pittsburgh.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Isabela is the best combination of food, ambiance, service, and view that exists in Pittsburgh. Isabela's drink menu and cocktail creations start the evening of in the right way, and give a hint of the attention to detail the staff possess. The seven course menu is an example of culinary perfection that is not topical in Pittsburgh. Each course is sized and timed perfectly to ensure that the dinner is neither full nor agitated. This is all on to of the fact that the kitchen staff creates 7 of the most flexible courses I have ever experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GorgeousnichloeDined on 8/9/2014Everything was amazing- food, service, view. Perfect for a romantic dinner!! As we were eating fireworks lit the city sky. So pleased!!!Special Features:
- Not all it's cracked up to beumo3Dined on 8/8/2014I looked up several restaurants to find a very nice romantic place to take my wife. After reading several reviews I decided to eat here, since it was supposedly the most romantic restaurant in Pittsburgh. When we pulled up I was surprised to see the outside needed work. Not what I would expect from a fine dining restaurant. We decided on the prix fixe dinner so we could try a little bit of everything. Unfortunately nothing was that spectacular. The scallops we under cooked and the red snapper was over cooked. We have eaten at many fine dining restaurants and this is not one I would recommend. The service was great, the view was amazing, but the food was not that great and it was very loud.Special Features:
- Excellent!WikiDined on 8/2/2014A great place for site-view and birthday celebration with my BF. Love it and will be back!Special Features:
- Excellent food but pricey winesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This was our first time in this restaurant and we both agreed we would come back, regularly. Our only criticism was the mark up on the wine - it was ridiculous. Anywhere from 4-8x store cost; the sampler with your Sat dinner averaging about 6x. We did do the sampler with our dinner and although the wines were well chosen, not one bottle retailed over $20. We expected to overpay but we have never seen these kind of mark ups on what we would consider cheap wine. All things considered we would absolutely go back, the food was superb. For our future visit we will be more discerning in our wine choice.Special Features:
- One of my top 3, everCarlDined on 7/29/2014A summer Tuesday evening, early dinner. Essentially, we had a private room overlooking Pittsburgh and the junction of the 3 rivers. The server was knowledgeable, friendly, and because we were the only customers upstairs, free to discuss the menu at length. My spouse ordered the "Chef's Tasting", 7 courses; I had a main course and dessert, but was treated to the sorbet between my wife's other courses, anyhow. This place is so special that I would go back for certain. They even called on Monday to remind us politely of our reservation. If you don't mind the price, don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special celebrationvhinpghVIPDined on 7/17/2014We love going to Isabela's to celebrate something special. It is like a walk into a food network cooking show. They are very accommodating of food preferences/allergies even with the multiple course menu (there is even a vegetarian option). The waitstaff are very low key and pleasant, and while it is a special place, it is not at all pretentious. Our waiter, Ian, was wonderful. The little first course was black mission fig with goat cheese and was absolutely delicious and the halibut with mango sauce was amazing!Special Features:
- Missed stepMichaelDined on 7/7/2014We are frequent fliers at Isabella but this time the experience seemed flat. This was probably because the service was slow, disorganized and inadequate, whereas the food was as expected, fantastic and innovative. It is amazing how poor service can affect the dining experience.Special Features:
- Beautiful ExperienceKinja1998Dined on 7/4/2014This was our first visit to Isabella. The staff was welcoming and attentive. We were there on July 4th, and had a spectacular view of the the fireworks at Point State Park. The view is excellent without fireworks, though. The owner, George, was there dressed as Uncle Sam, and was a great hit with the customers. We think he is a perfect ambassador for the food scene in Pittsburgh. The food was imaginative, well-prepared, and definitely memorable. Excellent wine selection with a range of prices for any budget. I think any special occasion would be made even more special by celebrating it at Isabella on Grandview.Special Features:
- labsbeabmmDined on 7/1/2014We celebrated our 25th anniversary and couldn't be more pleased with the food or service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ultimate fine dining experiencejglovierDined on 6/30/2014Eight years ago next month I proposed to my wife at the Isabella on Grandview. Last weekend, we returned to celebrate her birthday. Both of my experiences at the Isabella have been amazing. The food is some of the finest dining I've ever encountered, the atmosphere is classy, and the view is unmatched. Both times we've had the Chef's tasting menu, and it was phenomenal. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chef's tastingWhatsfordinnerVIPDined on 6/27/2014Very attentive service and wonderful food in an incredible setting -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed spending our 27th Anniversary at Isabela on Grandview! The service was wonderful, from the time we entered until the time we left. We never felt rushed through our courses. The food was excellent, we very much enjoyed the Cheese Tasting Sampler as well as the presentation of our food. The Halibut was delicious as was the Steak. The view of the city was wonderful!!! We enjoyed every aspect of our evening at Isabela on Grandview.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Anniversary dinnerMemisDined on 6/23/2014This was my 1st visit to Isabella and it was wonderful. We had the option of having the Chef's tasting menu or ordering ala carte. We decided on ala carte. We will usually order a cheese plate appetizer where it is offered and this was DEFINITELY the best we have ever had. In addition to the cheese it had homemade crackers, fresh figs, blackberries & nuts. The dinners and desserts were excellent! I had the Seven Falls chardonney from Washington state & it was great. The owner came to our table and also took a picture of my husband, daughter and I. He returned later and gave us a print out of it. We had a window table with a beautiful view of the city. I would definitely go back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Terrific !!!!love2dineDined on 6/23/2014Isabela restaurant is truly a wonderful experience. The atmosphere and view of Pittsburgh are spectacular. The food is incredible in quality, flavor and presentation, a culinary masterpiece. The service is top notch with every attention to detail to make your dining experience to bo the best possible. The owner came by and introduced himself and was so happy to see us, he even took a photo of us as a very nice keepsake. this restaurant truly is one of Pittsburgh's finest and a gem to keep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 465 reviews are from the Isabela on Grandview reviews archive.
- rlight100Dined on 6/20/2014Great food coupled with a spectacular view and prompt, friendly service make this a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Step it up!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2014Food was good, but not great. Very limited menu with just one meat selection that was tough. Worth going, but probably one and done.Special Features:
- Not exactly what we expectedWeluvfoodDined on 6/16/2014The restaurant has a hole in the wall feel to there was not much romantic in the ambiance except for the view. The food was excellent as was the wine chosen to pair with each course. One course my wife found a hair in her food. We didn't make a fuss because the rest of the food was so good. They should definitely be more carefulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AnnieHopeDined on 6/13/2014We just went here Friday night for our 15th wedding anniversary. Definitely do the tasting menu! I am a very good cook and when I go out for a special occasion I want something I can't or won't recreate at home. This delivers! Each coarse was a gem. Even if they were not huge sized portions you simply can't leave hungry. We were also each treated to a glass of bubbly. And the view was incomparable. Sweetly there was a couple there celebrating there 60 th anniversary that night! While the staff are very attentive to clear plates and bring the next course still allow about 2 and a half hours to just sit and enjoy the food, view, and company. The guys at the complimentary valet station were excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceVisoKingDined on 6/10/2014Based on the exterior, the interior was not what I expected (we drove past 3 times before stopping). We were greatly surprised at the atmosphere and the upscale dining experience. The chef's special with the wine pairing was selected for dinner, and all tastes were great. The server's knowledge and attention to detail were fantastic. The owner expressed his appreciation to us for dining there. It is high-end dining, so I could not eat there except for very special occassions. But it is now on my list !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and fantastic viewCorreLocaDined on 6/9/2014We had a foreign colleage to entertain and what a better choice than dinner at Isabela's on Grandview. The ambience is warm with a touch of sophistication - very pleasant. The view is as good as it gets. We arrived early and our table was ready. Our waitress was very attentive at all times. They have menu options that catered to all my forms of food allergies (gluten, egg, dairy). Options were superb and we all enjoyed an excellent dinner. Each of us chose a la carte entrees and side dishes. The portions were very good. An appetizer for the three of us was sufficient with delicious rolls. Their wine list is also very good even for my wine critic spouse. I Highly recommend this place for a special occasion, a dinner date, or business dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining High PointVegetarianFoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014Isabela on Grandview sits near the top of Mt. Washington's restaurant row, not only by altitude but also by the quality of its dining experience. This visit marked a birthday celebration for me; I hope to mark many more there. The ambience is outstanding with its overview of the Point, and the value of the food -- though pricey -- is of such high quality that it would be justified even without the view. Our server, Carly, was attentive and good humored throughout. And the owner not only checked on our dining experience personally, but also took our picture for free as a souvenir of the occasion, a touch that made us feel more special.Special Features:
- Stunning View, Awesome ExperienceBVGALLAGHERVIPDined on 6/5/2014We came in from out of town for a few days and read about Isabella on Grandview. Boy are we glad we went there. The view was stunning. We whet to dinner just before sundown so we could enjoy the view in daylight, dusk and night. Wow! The food was awesome. We ate from the Chef’s Tasting Menu and would defintely do that again. Our server Sean was very attentive. The complimentary valet was a great help. The next time we are in Pittsburgh, there is no doubt we will come back to this restaurant. The experience is well worth repeating!Special Features: