3324 Steiner St.
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.isarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4155679588x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday - 5:30 - 9:30 pm
Friday - 5:30 - 10:00pm
Saturday - 5:00 - 10:00 pm
Sunday - 5:00 - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary French, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Founder Luke Sung
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: Our bi-level patio received the Best of City Search for 2010. We can accommodate up to 65 people or rent the partial patio.
- Cross Street: Chestnut
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Now you can reserve parking on our web site - www.IsaRestaurant.com
Street parking is available. There is also a parking lot at Wells Fargo Bank on Chestnut (between Fillmore & Steiner), and another lot on Pierce (between Lombard & Chestnut).
A word from Isa
Rising Star Chef Nominee by the James Beard Foundation, Founder Chef Luke Sung, at Isa has received many accolades from five consecutive years on the Chronicle's Top 100 Bay Area Restaurant List to the Top 40 in Zagat. This is a restaurant not to be missed in San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Isa reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)neighborhood gem (65)romantic (43)good for groups (34)special occasion (30)great for outdoor dining (21)notable wine list (14)hot spot (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Diners bewareCanadianFoodiesDined on 10/5/2014While recommended by locals, we found the food uninspired and lacking in flavor. The grilled calamari was in fact steamed and had no defining flavours. The main course Sole used the same broth and base ingredients as the steamed calamari, and so exhibited no interesting flavour profile. The server spent more time justifying why the chef needed more time for the dishes than tending to our needs, including some awful bait and switch - promising us both a particular dessert, but then telling us later that only one per table (??). Worst of all, the dishes did not match what the menu listed as ingredients. Very loud and obnoxious people two tables over - completely ruined the ambiance. I would definitely recommend that you *not* go to Isa.
- True French Bistro StyleTomSDined on 10/4/2014Guests are encouraged to order and share a variety of appetizers/entrees. Dishes come out immediately when ready and hot, not all at one time. Therefore sharing enhances the experience. Good selection of reasonably priced wines. Johnathan our server was most knowledgeable and helpful in describing meals and wine selections.Special Features:
- Lovely place with great service!timbobtoy13Dined on 9/27/2014My girlfriend and I had a great dinner here last Saturday. The food and wine were both good but what stood out most for us was the service! The waitstaff was attentive but not overbearing. They were warm, engaging and knowledgeable. Kudos to the waitstaff at Isa!Special Features:
- not impressedtheFarmyDined on 9/27/2014Isa was an average dining experience. There was a surprising lack of mushroom in my wife's mushroom dish (2-3). My steak was cooked appropriately but the sides were too oily. The bread was excellent. Our waiter and table staff were excellent, but we were hassled by the hostess for showing up near the end of our 15 minute check-in window. Overall, Isa is not woth the price.Special Features:
- Great food but hectic service.pzomanDined on 9/25/2014The waitors rushed out our plates all the time. One waitor tried to grab my plate three times before I was finished with it. I had to tell him to calm down. Otherwise really good food and nice place. Been there two times and same thing happened both times. They should be quick and alert but this is just stressful. The restaurant was about empty so the rush was not justified.Special Features:
- NOISE LEVEL WAS OFF THE CHARTOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/19/2014THE FOOD HERE WAS EXCELLENT AS USUAL. THE SCALLOPS, GRILLED CALAMARI, STRIP STEAK AND PAELLA AND GOAT CHEESE DESSERT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. SEATING IN THE BACK IS VERY ROMANTIC. WE HAVE BEEN HERE MANY TIMES, BUT THIS TIME THE NOISE LEVEL WAS RIDICULOUSLY LOUD. IT WAS A FRIDAY NIGHT SO THAT MAY EXPLAIN IT, BUT IT WAS REALLY ANNOYING. I DON'T EVER REMEMBER IT BEING LIKE THAT BEFORE. WE ASKED TO BE MOVED FROM THE BACK TO THE FRONT, BUT IT WAS JUST AS BAD. THE RESTAURANT MIGHT WANT TO PUT SOME NOISE DEADENING STUFF LIKE CARPET OR SOMETHING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in the Marina1sttimetoACDined on 9/17/2014Enjoyed the food, the staff and the setting. It may be a little tight for groups, but we were a party of 2 and this restaurant was great. Found street parking right in front. Will definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ISA Is TerrificGFOODVIPDined on 9/14/2014Isa is terrific. The style of food is more European and American than French or Italian. It's inspired cooking! Each dish is a gem. Raw Oysters are great. Crab salad is delicious. And the hot calamari appetizer was probably the best we've had. The two fish dishes, halibut and sea bass were terrific as was the mushroom risoto. Every dish was just delicious, not the most artistically presented, but delicious. These are home style comfort food dishes with ample portions. Each dish is served as it's prepared, so it's generally a fast moving meal. But you can linger as long as you like as you never feel rushed. The wines are all great values and very modestly priced. For the quality, you can't get a better value in fine dining!Special Features:
- Date night spot!dinnerphorusDined on 9/5/2014We went here the other night mainly because we were able to get a reservation and hour before we went. But what a nice surprise it was. I was in the mood for a romantic night out. and ant back dining room in this restaurant was so sweet. but a little on the loud side. I don't like tables being so close to each other. but I guess it could be worse. the food was amazing, and not overly priced! I loved being able to share all of our dishes with each other. the waiters were great on their timing of knowing when to come by and remove used plates before bringing out the new dish. sometimes waiters can make you feel rushed with their timing of this.Special Features:
- Beat ExpectationsfoodsnobDined on 8/31/2014Found Isa with the app and made a late evening reservation 10 minutes prior to showing up. Never dined there before. While the restaurant looks average in the front (tables to the left and bar to the right), there is a great dining deck in the back. Very cozy and intimate. Overall, the service was excellent. The best part of the dining experience was the quality and preparation of the food. All very fresh, tasty and delightful combinations. This place encourages family style sharing and offers a prix fixe menu in addition to a la carte. Dishes arrive as they are ready. Loved the experience and if I lived in this neighborhood, I would be a regular for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay awayimalittleteapotDined on 8/31/2014Once this was a great restaurant, but the new owners have let things go. The waiter took a half hour to take our drink orders. The menu couldn't decide if it was traditional or family style and many dishes were impossible to share. The salads came but the other dishes never appeared. We were told that items came out of the kitchen when they were ready and that we'd just have to wait. 20 mins later we finally all had our first courses. The main courses were bland and fairly average, but at least they all came together. It took another half hour to flag down a waiter to order more drinks although all the glasses on the table were empty. When we complained, there was no apology and we were made to feel that the problems were our fault.
- Good food with many choicesELenaTDined on 8/31/2014Food was very good, tasty and elegantly presented. Lamb chops, risotto, and potato wrapped sea bass were our favorites. One minus: side dishes were too salty. Very good flan, coffee is also good. Nice vivid atmosphere. Our party of six people liked inside house patio sitting. I would recommend Isa to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in the Cow Hollow / MarinaRJSFODined on 8/30/2014I took a group of friends visiting from out of town. We had just gotten back from a full day of wine tasting and noshing in St. Helena. Coming to Isa was the capstone event for the evening and surpassed the expectations of every diner. Our reservation was for 6:30 and upon arriving promptly seated and met with our server Dean who is a hoot and is conversant in several languages. The staff was quite attentive to our beverage and food needs timing the delivery of several choices from the kitchen perfectly. It was an endless flow of extremely tasty appetizers and entrees. Dean was quick to recommend a few more to fill out our choices. Everyone had a great time with a full day, completing the night on satisfied and full stomachs, burp.Special Features:
- Just OK! A bit disappointed...SFricegirlDined on 8/29/2014The presentation of the duck and sweetbreads are not the same as past visits and the portions are much smaller. Don't get me wrong, these were still tasty, but would of liked more mashed potatoes with the sweetbreads and the sweetbreads were not as tender, a little over cooked. Our server was honest and attentive, we were happy with him all the way through dinner until he manually wrote and added 18% gratuity on the total! He was classy up until that last move. I think I am so over this place, my 6th and final visit.Special Features:
- Trying too hardlxticsVIPDined on 8/29/2014While we enjoyed our dinner, it was a little bothersome to have our waiter keep stopping by to tell us that we were having a dish "exactly as served at the French Laundry" and so forth. In two fish dishes, including the potato-wrapped halibut, the fish was somewhat overcooked and dry. Same for the grilled asparagus, which we should not have ordered anyway as it's August, not March. But flavor combinations were well done, the staff was quick and warmly cheerful, and it's nice to have a $5 (before 7 PM) glass of wine that is pleasantly drinkable.
- We Liked!LessSaltPleezeDined on 8/20/2014My boyfriend took me here for my birthday, and we were both quite happy with the food and service. Thanks, Honey! He ordered the prix fixe menu and had steak, and I had the duck that came with poached pears and pea sprouts. He also enjoyed the semifreddo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consitently great food...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/12/2014and not too expensive... Too bad they don't serve liquor as sake cocktails are not that good...Special Features:
- Great good, great ambianceElenimDined on 8/11/2014We came under the advice of our book guide, motivated by the concept of share of meals among people of the same table. We (and the children too) were not deceived at all and enjoyed a very nice evening (careful service, fine meals in big quantity, good American wines)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood Restaurantluv2cookDined on 8/3/2014A good restaurant with well made food and unpretentious services. We sampled 5 different dishes and a few drinks and they are all good. Prix Fixe menu and happy hour wine are very good value. Will come back again for the calamari, very tasty, tender, succulent and aromatic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiscoveryWendyKDined on 8/2/2014This is a place we will return to again and again. With great food, good wine list, and attention to detail...this is a favorite. We appreciate the small plates to share, love the flavors in each dish, and felt like our server knew the dishes to recommend wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Great food, enthusiastic staff, nice ambiance. The maple duck and potato crusted halibut were to die for along with the grapefruit granita and chocolate cake for dessert.Special Features:
- ReviewerDined on 7/30/2014i do not at all like the fact that it is "family" dinning. I have never heard of this. You can't get your meals at the same time! I will not go back because of that.Special Features:
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/27/2014we went with a big group that included 2 kids, the service was awesome and the food was really good, would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plate heavenSactofoodiesDined on 7/25/2014When visiting SF, Isa is a must stop. We love the menu. We are big seafood fans, and their entrees are exceptional. The smoky calamari is phenomenal. We could go down the menu list and rave about everything we've eaten. Reservations are easy, the staff has always been friendly and knowledgeable. Wine list is just right. Prices are reasonable, too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/22/2014Delicious food...the risotto with different kinds of mushrooms and lamb chops were excellent! Our waiter was an odd duck. He seemed to have had a few too many drinks or difficulty with professionalism. If the servers and other staff were generally good, I would tell others to stay away.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 3OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014We tried the truffle risotto-- very good, the spaghetti--average to a little too salty, the special fish-- good, Point Reyes goat cheese--very good. Grapefruit granita--very good. Wine was great. Service was excellent. Will dine here again. Parking is street only.Special Features:
- Your everyday French foodAegiVIPDined on 7/18/2014This place offers great french fusion food at reasonable prices. I don't like salty foods in general, so other than salty foods, everything else is great. Great service and fresh bread that my family loves. If you don't like salty foods, make sure you ask them not to add any salt.Special Features:
- The best place everLeidoughDined on 7/15/2014You guys seriously deserve a Michelin star!!!! I Probably sound crazy but this place was so awesome! My fiancé picked this place and we have never been here before nor a really nice restaurant like isa. So it was a little intimidating at first but oh my goodness was I beyond happy it was birthday that day and I'm telling you I felt special as soon as we got seated to our table! The service was beyond perfect and on point!! The food was so good!! And our waiter Domingo was the best server we have experienced. Thank you Isa for not only making my day special but me and my fiancé experience a one to remember. Deff bragging about this restaurant to everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef knows what he's/she's doingFoodieguyVIPDined on 7/7/2014This restaurant should be much busier than it is. The kitchen turns out unusually good and innovative dishes (potato encrusted sea bass, for example, and really excellent risottos), the service is attentive and friendly, and the prices are quite reasonable for the quality and neighborhood. Comparable to Bistro Aix a few doors down, and every bit as good.Special Features:
- Isa RocksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014The food is amazing. The service is stupendous. Go. You won't be disappointed. You'll be thrilled.Special Features:
- Spectacular combination of foodsCeliacFoodieTraveler88Dined on 7/4/2014After many recommendations we decided to try Isa and we were blown away. The specials were spectacular, the wine selection adequate, the ambiance of a cute covered patio was adorable. The service was very good and they were able to accommodate all of my gluten free (Celiac) questions and prepare my food easily. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wray HumphreyWrayVIPDined on 6/29/2014Delicious food, excellent service and reasonable prices. It's a gem!Special Features:
- #1 French restaurantMeowVIPDined on 6/29/2014Service good. Food delicious and perfect. seating and eating comfortable with no pressure. Love their perfect duck breast and mussels. Warm bread in the beginning is really nice too (don't really like cold breads at other restaurants). And when bills came, it was much cheaper than other French restaurants with average taste of food. Strongly recommended.Special Features:
- YoloCatVIPDined on 6/28/2014"Entrees" were excellent; small plates not so much. Waiter had an attitude: customer is seldom right. Noise level is deafening.Special Features:
- Less known gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/26/2014High quality food. Contemporary cuisine. Presented artfully. Service although friendly needs refinement. "Outdoor" patio needs to be updated. But the fresh and inventive cooking techniques make this restauant a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Delicious menu especially the pre fixe and great service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1438 reviews are from the Isa reviews archive.
- Isa in JuneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2014We planned a dinner party for my husband's birthday. The waiter was very attentive and took very good care of all of us. The food was wonderful an the ambience in the back dining area was lively to say the least. We were in a party mood so it suited us perfectly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, Casual, with mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014We went at 8 pm on the last Sunday of DAT so maybe kitchen staff were tired. Food was plated haphazardly and the proteins were undercooked (rare /= raw). A soup was very thin and overseasoned. Service was very good, would be excellent if the waiter had not forgotten our oyster order. A fun room, out back under a tented roof, with a vibrant, pleasant young crowd, but not too raucous.Special Features:
- IsaTakawongDined on 6/15/2014We had the 5 course pre fix meal. It is a very nice option. There is a great variety of plates to order and share. Isa is a local gem for us to continue to return. We have return to Isa nearly 10 times. It has never failed. I would always recommend for friends.Special Features:
- Opt1VIPDined on 6/15/2014Went there twice within a week. Food was very good and had a great time there as always.Special Features: