3324 Steiner St.
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.isarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4155679588x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday - 5:30 - 9:30 pm
Friday - 5:30 - 10:00pm
Saturday - 5:00 - 10:00 pm
Sunday - 5:00 - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary French, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Founder Luke Sung
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: Our bi-level patio received the Best of City Search for 2010. We can accommodate up to 65 people or rent the partial patio.
- Cross Street: Chestnut
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Now you can reserve parking on our web site - www.IsaRestaurant.com
Street parking is available. There is also a parking lot at Wells Fargo Bank on Chestnut (between Fillmore & Steiner), and another lot on Pierce (between Lombard & Chestnut).
A word from Isa
Rising Star Chef Nominee by the James Beard Foundation, Founder Chef Luke Sung, at Isa has received many accolades from five consecutive years on the Chronicle's Top 100 Bay Area Restaurant List to the Top 40 in Zagat. This is a restaurant not to be missed in San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Isa reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since April 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)neighborhood gem (93)special occasion (68)romantic (58)good for groups (56)great for outdoor dining (35)notable wine list (16)hot spot (16)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great good, great ambianceElenimDined on 8/11/2014We came under the advice of our book guide, motivated by the concept of share of meals among people of the same table. We (and the children too) were not deceived at all and enjoyed a very nice evening (careful service, fine meals in big quantity, good American wines)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Servicejes4greatdiningDined on 8/6/2014Isa is a pleasant and enjoyable neighborhood restaurant. I had reservations for late (9:15 pm), and when I arrive most if not all of the inside tables were full. To begin my meal I had my heart set on the listed Dungeness Crab Salad, however, I told this plate was not available. I settled for the Salmon Carpaccio which was tasty, but certainly not what I had been hoping for to begin my meal. I followed the Salmon with the potato crusted Sea Bass which was delicious. I hoped to enjoy a good Sancerre with my meal, but the wine list was woefully short of French wines (and this is a French restaurant)! I had to settle for a pleasant Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. However, even with its shortcomings, the food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood Restaurantluv2cookDined on 8/3/2014A good restaurant with well made food and unpretentious services. We sampled 5 different dishes and a few drinks and they are all good. Prix Fixe menu and happy hour wine are very good value. Will come back again for the calamari, very tasty, tender, succulent and aromatic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiscoveryWendyKDined on 8/2/2014This is a place we will return to again and again. With great food, good wine list, and attention to detail...this is a favorite. We appreciate the small plates to share, love the flavors in each dish, and felt like our server knew the dishes to recommend wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Great food, enthusiastic staff, nice ambiance. The maple duck and potato crusted halibut were to die for along with the grapefruit granita and chocolate cake for dessert.Special Features:
- ReviewerDined on 7/30/2014i do not at all like the fact that it is "family" dinning. I have never heard of this. You can't get your meals at the same time! I will not go back because of that.Special Features:
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/27/2014we went with a big group that included 2 kids, the service was awesome and the food was really good, would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plate heavenSactofoodiesDined on 7/25/2014When visiting SF, Isa is a must stop. We love the menu. We are big seafood fans, and their entrees are exceptional. The smoky calamari is phenomenal. We could go down the menu list and rave about everything we've eaten. Reservations are easy, the staff has always been friendly and knowledgeable. Wine list is just right. Prices are reasonable, too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/22/2014Delicious food...the risotto with different kinds of mushrooms and lamb chops were excellent! Our waiter was an odd duck. He seemed to have had a few too many drinks or difficulty with professionalism. If the servers and other staff were generally good, I would tell others to stay away.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 3OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014We tried the truffle risotto-- very good, the spaghetti--average to a little too salty, the special fish-- good, Point Reyes goat cheese--very good. Grapefruit granita--very good. Wine was great. Service was excellent. Will dine here again. Parking is street only.Special Features:
- Your everyday French foodAegiVIPDined on 7/18/2014This place offers great french fusion food at reasonable prices. I don't like salty foods in general, so other than salty foods, everything else is great. Great service and fresh bread that my family loves. If you don't like salty foods, make sure you ask them not to add any salt.Special Features:
- The best place everLeidoughDined on 7/15/2014You guys seriously deserve a Michelin star!!!! I Probably sound crazy but this place was so awesome! My fiancé picked this place and we have never been here before nor a really nice restaurant like isa. So it was a little intimidating at first but oh my goodness was I beyond happy it was birthday that day and I'm telling you I felt special as soon as we got seated to our table! The service was beyond perfect and on point!! The food was so good!! And our waiter Domingo was the best server we have experienced. Thank you Isa for not only making my day special but me and my fiancé experience a one to remember. Deff bragging about this restaurant to everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef knows what he's/she's doingFoodieguyVIPDined on 7/7/2014This restaurant should be much busier than it is. The kitchen turns out unusually good and innovative dishes (potato encrusted sea bass, for example, and really excellent risottos), the service is attentive and friendly, and the prices are quite reasonable for the quality and neighborhood. Comparable to Bistro Aix a few doors down, and every bit as good.Special Features:
- Isa RocksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014The food is amazing. The service is stupendous. Go. You won't be disappointed. You'll be thrilled.Special Features:
- Spectacular combination of foodsCeliacFoodieTraveler88Dined on 7/4/2014After many recommendations we decided to try Isa and we were blown away. The specials were spectacular, the wine selection adequate, the ambiance of a cute covered patio was adorable. The service was very good and they were able to accommodate all of my gluten free (Celiac) questions and prepare my food easily. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wray HumphreyWrayVIPDined on 6/29/2014Delicious food, excellent service and reasonable prices. It's a gem!Special Features:
- #1 French restaurantMeowVIPDined on 6/29/2014Service good. Food delicious and perfect. seating and eating comfortable with no pressure. Love their perfect duck breast and mussels. Warm bread in the beginning is really nice too (don't really like cold breads at other restaurants). And when bills came, it was much cheaper than other French restaurants with average taste of food. Strongly recommended.Special Features:
- YoloCatDined on 6/28/2014"Entrees" were excellent; small plates not so much. Waiter had an attitude: customer is seldom right. Noise level is deafening.Special Features:
- Less known gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/26/2014High quality food. Contemporary cuisine. Presented artfully. Service although friendly needs refinement. "Outdoor" patio needs to be updated. But the fresh and inventive cooking techniques make this restauant a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Delicious menu especially the pre fixe and great service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Isa in JuneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2014We planned a dinner party for my husband's birthday. The waiter was very attentive and took very good care of all of us. The food was wonderful an the ambience in the back dining area was lively to say the least. We were in a party mood so it suited us perfectly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, Casual, with mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014We went at 8 pm on the last Sunday of DAT so maybe kitchen staff were tired. Food was plated haphazardly and the proteins were undercooked (rare /= raw). A soup was very thin and overseasoned. Service was very good, would be excellent if the waiter had not forgotten our oyster order. A fun room, out back under a tented roof, with a vibrant, pleasant young crowd, but not too raucous.Special Features:
- IsaTakawongDined on 6/15/2014We had the 5 course pre fix meal. It is a very nice option. There is a great variety of plates to order and share. Isa is a local gem for us to continue to return. We have return to Isa nearly 10 times. It has never failed. I would always recommend for friends.Special Features:
- Opt1VIPDined on 6/15/2014Went there twice within a week. Food was very good and had a great time there as always.Special Features:
- FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014I though that the food was great. The mussels were perfect and the Halibut was cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- foodie4everVIPDined on 6/14/2014Discovered Isa in June with Dine About Town. Dishes are served tapas style & my daughter & I had the 4 course meal each. We shared all the dishes & it was excellent. When our waiter found out that it was my daughter's birthday, he brought out a celebratory glass of peach champagne. The champagne was delicious & found out it comes in several flavors including chocolate. When we told him my daughter is a chocolatier he brought out another complimentary glass of chocolate champagne. The hostess to the waiter to the bus staff were efficiency and fantastic. Definitely will be back!Special Features:
- Pleasant surprisePleasantSurpriseDined on 6/13/2014We were there for dine about town. There was so much food! Fresh ingredients. Enjoyed the $1 oysters deal! Great flavor. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank You!Bobbin158Dined on 6/13/2014What a good experience should be! Isa gets it...they turned the whole Dine About Town concept into a special reality. They not only participate; they turn their entire menu for the time period into the one purpose. The gain in customers must exceed the experience of all other participants. Instead of 3 courses, they make it 4. The choices are wide, well presented, well served, and a taste experience. Just watching the expressions of the diners as they tasted, coupled with the satisfied looks as they finished and the smiles as they left said it all. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but Too NoisyJJcaleDined on 6/12/2014We did dine about town and the food was pretty good Problem is the noise level is deafening..really irritating Large parties of babbling women was a real dragSpecial Features:
- Prix fix is the best bet to sample.cyn88Dined on 6/12/2014The Short RibS Were Well Prepared, Seasoned Ideally. ButtEr Lettuce Salad Was Awkward To Enjoy And Required Additional Dressing. Bread Was Great. Wine List Was Not Impressive. Very Good Service By 70% Of The Staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AylaVIPDined on 6/10/2014The food here has always been good and service has always been kind enough without being overbearing. I love this place without a doubt and it's one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ISA restaurantSonjiDined on 6/9/2014I food was lovely and waiters were really good at replenishing. The vibe of the hotel is friendly and comforting. I will definitely come back again. But this time with a bigger party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time in a week!barbaraVIPDined on 6/9/2014we loved their Dine About Town menu so much last week that we returned again this week! Drove 75 minutes through rush hour traffic to get there each time!Special Features:
- Dine Out SF DelightURGormandVIPDined on 6/9/2014Two of us thoroughly enjoyed selections from ISA's special prefix " SF June Dine Out Week". And Point Reyes Oysters at $1.00 each were an added treat. The innovative,tasty dishes paired with Jerry, our waiter's suggested wines, followed by scrumptious deserts, made for a memorable evening. We will definitely return to the Steiner St gem in Cow Hollow/Marina.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/9/2014Food was really good and service was excellent! I have been here on numerous occasions and everything is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to Isa?MotikVIPDined on 6/8/2014This place used to serve decent food , but this time around all courses were mediocre
- Excellent! Great for Vegetarians!GreenSFDined on 6/7/2014We picked this restaurant as it was one of the few prix fixe menus for Dine About Town that had multiple vegetarian options for each course. Everything we had was delicious, but the baked goat cheese with sundried tomato confit, pinenuts, and herbs was especially impressive. The wait staff were very courteous and prompt in taking away dishes to prepare for the next course. The tented outdoor patio area is charming and has better ambiance than the inside of the restaurant, but it is a tented patio - so if you are looking for something exceedingly elegant - for a proposal or something - this might not suit your needs. It also can be a bit loud, however this may have been due to Dine About Town. We will be back to see!Special Features:
- An Experience!Allilove2dineDined on 6/7/2014I chose this restaurant for the Dine About Town event and brought my parents to it. At this time, they dedicated their menus to a prix fixe 4-course. Absolutely amazing! I ordered the braised short ribs for my entree. I have not eaten a more tender, succulent and juicy short rib such as Isa's. It was literally a "melt-in-your-mouth" experience. Also, the service! Dean was our waiter. Such a charming fellow! Gave great insight on each dish we ordered and was extremely attentive. He had an extremely warm personality. As soon as our bread was done, another bread basket was replaced with the empty one. As soon as our water was getting low, it was refilled almost expeditiously. Could not have asked for a better experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific tapasivanaDined on 6/7/2014Cute little restaurant in the Marina. came here for DAT and loved their menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a rushed meal I'd try fast foodchiccasfDined on 6/6/2014Turned out it was Dine around town in SF. The limited fixed selection menu for the event was fairly robust and the staff worked really hard with the sell out crowd. Food - very good. However because of the event, it felt the restaurant tried to squeeze in as many people as possible. Parties of 3 put at tables for two - if was like eating on top of a puzzle to find space for our dishes/glasses. We were rushed through courses with uncomfortably quick plate pick up as it felt they wanted to get in the next round of customers. For one in our party the 2nd and 3rd course arrived at the same time. This is a shame and I feel it is better to give each guest an optimum experience and comfort and not cut corners so as to make the next buck.Special Features: