Ironside Fish & Oyster
1654 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Ironside Fish & Oyster
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ironsidefishandoyster.com/
- Phone: (619) 269-3033
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jason McLeod
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ironside Fish & Oyster
A new restaurant in Little Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ironside Fish & Oyster - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Ironside Fish & Oyster reviews from OpenTable diners
295 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (203)fit for foodies (187)vibrant bar scene (160)neighborhood gem (141)good for groups (98)special occasion (87)great for lunch (56)great for outdoor dining (45)late-night find (43)romantic (33)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (13)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- DisappointedfoodiepieVIPDined on 11/24/2014Let me start with the positive. This time I ordered the lobster roll which comes with french fries. I also ordered a side of brussel sprouts. The lobster meat in the lobster roll was cooked to perfection. It could not have been better. The role itself was drenched in butter and other ingredients that really did not work with the lobster meat in my opinion. Next time I might ask that they serve me the lobster meat without the roll. The hand cut french fries are very good but don't ask them for ketchup as they don't have it. They are served with some sort of mayonnaise based sauce that is interesting but not for me. As for the brussel sprouts ,I did not care for them as they are over engineered in their preparation. Too many ingredients conflicting with each other, sweet and savory that in my opinion did not work well. The restaurant is very attractive. The bar area is one of the nicest that I have seen in a long while. The place gets very busy and when they are do not expect quick service. I guess in the final analysis I would say that this is a very nice place to visit and check it out at least one but if you are really out for terrific seafood there are many other options out there to explore.Special Features:
- An excellent restaurant in Little Italy.StuinSDVIPDined on 11/21/2014This was our second time here and we will be back. Food and service were excellent! The waiter, Dan was really fine and we loved our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Fun!AppleGuyDined on 11/19/2014Celebrated my Wife's B-day, with great Food and Great Cocktails! Would recommend for a fun dinner night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ironside is FantasticHRossiDined on 11/17/2014Came here by word of friends in the industry that the seafood was amazing. They were right! We had a great experience : food was fantastic and service was ridiculously awesome! Our server was Janee and trust me you have a real gem there.....best service I have had in quite awhile! Keep up the great work I am already spreading the good word to friend and am prob setting up a business dinner there next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to hang out with friendsDRobVIPDined on 11/16/2014The atmosphere was buzzing. Great place to hang out with a group of friends to have drinks. I have the lobster and spawns and they were delicious and reasonable priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New seafood find, notable cocktailsjeffDined on 11/16/2014Ironside is difficult to spot from the outside: there's no sign with their name, but rather their motto "A rising tide lifts all boats." Look for the large swing-up windows. Cool decor with nautical touches, but the hard surfaces create a rather noisy environment. Copper covered tables with oil lamps set a good mood. The menu changes with seafood availability, as one expects. Many raw bar and appetizer options are very tempting, we had the stone crab claws and crab cake, both excellent. Very good Maine lobsters, in several sizes. My whole roasted fish was tasty and not overdone, with interesting sides available, although the Brussels sprouts were almost charred. Draft wine by the glass seemed a bit of a small pour; a better bet is the extensive cocktail list, which must extend to well over 50 interesting creations in a variety of categories. Desserts were sturdy rather than elegant. Service was satisfactory, unfussy. We'll definitely be back, this is quality seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and ambiance. Love the interiors!TrudytheFoodie17Dined on 11/15/2014This place truly rocks. Our waiter, Sean, was most accommodating, knowledgeable and friendly. I would have liked to have had more choices of wine by the glass, however, and a few more entree items would have been nice, as well. We will definitely be back; perhaps we'll try out the bar next time. Thank you for adding this cool place to the Little Italy vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LibbyltVIPDined on 11/14/2014Great spot for seafood lovers. Try their Chowder fries, its out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space, good food. Worth checking out.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014Oysters were okay. We ordered $1 happy hour special so we only got Ironside special. The steelhead trout was also good but not mind-blowing. Admittedly, I am a person that reserves 5 stars for top 5-10% of all restaurant experiences. I gave it 4/5. It is a really nice space with vintage decor, a great bar, and plenty of seating. I am sure it would be a nice place to just go and get cocktails. We were able to make reservations, a definite plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waste of money...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014COMPLETE waste of money. Worst place I've have eaten at in years. Sorry, Ironside... terrible.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2014Absolutely delicious food. The Octopus a la plancha is amazing. Our waiter, Gabriel was wonderful. He made the experience that much better.Special Features:
- Amazing OystersCinDelMarVIPDined on 11/10/2014We had lunch here and can't wait to come back for happy hour and dinner. We ordered a dozen oysters to start and they were fantastic. Locally farmed in Carlsbad. Uni dish was really good but it didn't need the vinaigrette sauce on the side.Special Features:
- Good but service lacksAubithedogDined on 11/9/2014Reservation was for 7:30. We got there at 7 checked in and was informed by the hostess that our table would be ready closer to 7:30. This is completely understandable. Until we got sat finally at 7:50. I would check back at the stand and they kept saying were getting your table now. Honestly it was pretty disrespectfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GF FriendlyglutenfreeformeDined on 11/9/2014Being allergic to gluten, menus are always a little terrifying. Our waitress was also allergic to gluten and was very knowledgeable and helpful when trying to chose what to order. There weren't many options for starters for those who are gluten free, so I ordered a side of brussel sprouts - they were absolutely amazing. Entree-wise, finding gluten free options was a lot easier. Overall, delicious dinner and I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome seafood jointOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014Was pretty crowded so it was super loud, however, my party of six (four adults, two kids) didn't mind. They actually serve whole fish! We got both of the selections for that night...they were both excellent. Great cocktail menu and draft beer list. Would definitely go again. Four out of five stars because they aren't parent friendly (no high chairs or boosters). But if you don't care about that, then eat here now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ironside dinnerjedelmanDined on 11/8/2014I have gone to this restaurant for lunch a handful of times and loved it. The dinner experience was much different. The restaurant is gorgeous and interesting. However, the service was noticeably slow. We were waiting for dinner long enough that we all talked about the wait. My dinner came on what looked like an appetizer plate. The side dishes were served family style but there wasn't enough room on the plate. My fish was good, but had I not ordered a side dish it would have been very plain. I feel like I could have prepared this meal at home. Overall, I was disappointed. I would still go to Ironside for lunch, but would skip the dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- funciopinoDined on 11/7/2014first time visit with 4; friendly, professional and attentive service; limited menu for entrees and fish entree pricey as no sides included; yes, mussels are as good as reported; noise level is not conducive to quiet conversation; ambiance is great fun; parking in little italy a nightmare; really $20/lots?? keep little italy reasonable in food and parking so that it remains an option to downtown; a good restaurant to try for a fun evening; nice list of tap beers - thanks.Special Features:
- 1foodie1foodieDined on 11/7/2014Excellent food and service, noise level is very loud. Don't plan for a romantic evening dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice.tandieDined on 11/6/2014It is a nice restaurant with nice ambiance and decoration. Service is good. It's a good place to get together with friends.Special Features:
- Great Surprise and CelebrationHappyDined on 11/6/2014This was a very special evening - my daughter's 40th birthday and we had a surprise guest who flew in from NYC - her soul mate..........The staff at this restaurant was incredible with their warmth and friendly manner. They help to make this one incredible affair. they played a big part in this surprise and acted as if it was their very own family........I would recommend this fabulous restaurant to all.........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely let downLilyBDined on 11/5/2014Was very excited to try this place for my birthday and was extremely let down. The service was TERRIBLE! Our server was never to be found, or off to the side chatting to coworkers the entire time. Everytime we needed something we would wait a long time for her to stop by, then we'd have to ask twice because she would forget. Drinks and food kept getting delivered to us in error, when it was really for a couple sitting at the nearby bar. We ordered a side dish that we had to ask twice for and which finally arrived after our entire party had finished their meals and our leftovers were being bagged. My trout was plain, but the mahi, fish n chips, lobster roll and chowder fries all seemed good. Would not come back-bad service, just okay food.
- Great impromtu getawayCBandBBDined on 11/2/2014It surprised us after reading mixed reviews. Great food, fabulous décor, impeccable service and was well priced. We could not have been more pleased. Oysters were spot on; octopus was perfectly cooked with sauce that was divine; shrimp were possibly the best we have had! We enjoyed the wine recommended after the one we selected turned out to be unavailable. Well done.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014décor and ambiance amazing! Please write a review that is at least 50 characters in length.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood made interesting.DiningoutveryoftenDined on 10/30/2014Everything on the menu was well thought out and piqued our curiosity. The shellfish appetizers, both hot and cold, were served with interesting sauces. My friend had the Oysters Rockefeller and I had the raw mussels; both were fresh and tasty. We both chose our fish done a la plancha but it was not clear to us how that would differ in taste from the same fish grilled. The vegetables were a la carte. The Brussel Sprouts were delicious; the cole slaw was unexciting, as you would expect. The dessert and wine selection both offered us a wide range of choices.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and serviceDDodsonVIPDined on 10/29/2014Took a friend for her birthday and it was great. Our waiter Sean gave us the perfect level of service. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all it's cracked up to beOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014We made reservations for 715 for 4 people. We arrived at 700. We were told it would only be a few minutes before we were seated. After 20 minutes, we walked up to the hostess because we noticed an open table for 4. We were finally seated after asking could we have the open table we noticed. We ordered soup (which wasn't hot), oyster Rockefeller, and yellowtail as entrees. Waiting for everything seemed to take longer than usual. Service was very slow. Even though the service wasn't up to par, the restaurant in itself is very nice. I probably wouldn't go here again though. First impressions are everything.Special Features:
- Worth one trynonameVIPDined on 10/27/2014After reading so many good reviews, decided to try it. Pretty loud, and some things were disappointing -- drinks seemed small, and not all that tasty. Embarrassing mix-up with our friend's appetizer added onto my husband's oyster plate. Fish and chips were good, but a restaurant that has no ketchup?? Great waitress. It was good for one visit -- not sure we'll return.
- Great spotJwill4WineDined on 10/26/2014best oysters in town. always look to what is on special that day as a great list of rotating day-fresh seafood specials. if it was there yesterday, it won't be there tomorrow. you want that in a seafood spot.Special Features:
- DisappointedPRCESQUIREDined on 10/25/2014San Diego Magazine gave this place such a great review. Adequate, at best. Busy, hectic, noisy. Lobster roll was probably the best thing our table of 5 ordered. No need to return.Special Features:
- Great seafood in Little ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014I went to Ironside with a group of 8 friends who were visiting from all around the US. We sat just inside the door at a spacious table. We ordered a variety of food including clam chowder, mussels, crab claws, lobster roll, fish & chips, bread and steak. Each dish was better than the last. Everything had a great flavor and was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!ConciergeJess03VIPDined on 10/21/2014Cythia was our server and she was outstanding! We Went there to celebrate my mom's Birthday last night. She loves Oysters but she is very picky. She said by far the best Oysters she has ever had!! Excellent Service great atmosphere!! Not nessisarily family friendly as far as children go but I took my 4 and 7 year old they had the fish and chips which is amazing!! It is loud enough that you don't worry about having the kids disrupt anyone. Great atmosphere! Fun place I highly recommend! Jessica Cowan, Concierge Four Seasons AviaraSpecial Features:
- Seafood to die for!FritzDined on 10/20/2014Our first time visit to this relatively new restaurant in the Little Italy district of S.D. Met some out-of-town friends for dinner on a Monday evening. A really happening place. Upbeat, a bit loud, but totally fun. And the food.....the food...oh boy....the food is excellent! A great twist on several seafood dishes that certainly won't disappoint. Service was excellent also. Don't forget to check out Happy Hour. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lobster rolls!SoutherngirlDined on 10/20/2014Heard the lobster rolls were the best in San Diego, not true, better than the ones in Maine. Chunks of great lobster meat and the true New England lobster roll bread. To finish it off, had the wonderful coffee and donut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotnikimeisterDined on 10/19/2014Although I'm sure this place is fun for groups, I went here for the first time on a date and we both loved it. The lighting is perfect and the tables are just intimate enough. Really cool design throughout, the service was wonderful and the food was great, notably the oysters, which were the best I've had in a long while.Special Features:
- Very PleasantWunderfoodDined on 10/19/2014Had a great experience at IFO. Staff was friendly and very accommodating to my request (to move my reservation). The place is hopping. It is loud, but not so loud that it is uncomfortable. Food was great, although the sides seems to overshadow the fish, and the fish is really why we ant there. Service was good, but our friendly server was not a foodie type.Special Features:
- Ironside reviewRichDined on 10/18/2014Restaurant was obviously popular as evidenced by full house and crowded bar. Noise level was excessive and we could barely hear each other at our four person table. Something should be done to acoustics to absorb more sound and make it not necessary to talk loud in order to be heard. Server was average. Nothing remarkable. Food was good, but appetizer plates of oysters/clams/shrimp a bit pricey for what you get. Whole Breem fish dinner was not enjoyable as the fish was full of small bones. Would probably go there again for lunch when less busy and less noisy.Special Features:
- LobsterRollerVIPDined on 10/17/2014This was stupendous! Get the lobster roll and oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nellyceenellyCDined on 10/17/2014This place is so cute! The drinks and happy hour oysters are the best reasons to come here. I had the fancy fish plate (trout) and my friend had the bass, I did particularly find it amazing. It was ok. The apple crumble was not good at all, at least for this caliber of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Great date night!PLEaterVIPDined on 10/17/2014I had the lobster roll--best EVAH, and this is from a New Englander. Octopus appetizer -- VERY tasty, but a bit skimpy. Hubby had the oysters and chowder. He loved the oysters (I don't do oysters), and we both liked the chowder, although thick creamy white chowder isn't my favorite, this one was very tasty w/a smokey bacon-y flavor. Wine infused cocktail was DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Food alone is worth the visitbucketlistbabeDined on 10/17/2014Went for lunch and liked the policy of picking our own seat. We ordered fish and chips and the mussels. It's hard to find good f/c as there is usually too much batter or it's very greasy. They serve it with a thin batter and a good amount of cod, so it was impressive. The European "chips" were fresh cut and perfectly seasoned. The mussels were also exceptional with a delicious broth that demanded to be sopped up w/the bread. I will be back to try the clam chowder, the brussel sprouts and the lobster roll! Shout out to our waitress, Josie, who did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.