Ironside Fish & Oyster
1654 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Ironside Fish & Oyster
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ironsidefishandoyster.com/
- Phone: 6192693033
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jason McLeod
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ironside Fish & Oyster
A new restaurant in Little Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ironside Fish & Oyster - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Ironside Fish & Oyster reviews from OpenTable diners
263 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (178)fit for foodies (162)vibrant bar scene (144)neighborhood gem (124)good for groups (83)special occasion (83)great for lunch (53)great for outdoor dining (43)late-night find (38)romantic (32)notable wine list (21)great for brunch (12)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (7)Show More
- Love it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/21/2014Cythia was our server and she was outstanding! We Went there to celebrate my mom's Birthday last night. She loves Oysters but she is very picky. She said by far the best Oysters she has ever had!! Excellent Service great atmosphere!! Not nessisarily family friendly as far as children go but I took my 4 and 7 year old they had the fish and chips which is amazing!! It is loud enough that you don't worry about having the kids disrupt anyone. Great atmosphere! Fun place I highly recommend! Jessica Cowan, Concierge Four Seasons AviaraSpecial Features:
- Seafood to die for!FritzDined on 10/20/2014Our first time visit to this relatively new restaurant in the Little Italy district of S.D. Met some out-of-town friends for dinner on a Monday evening. A really happening place. Upbeat, a bit loud, but totally fun. And the food.....the food...oh boy....the food is excellent! A great twist on several seafood dishes that certainly won't disappoint. Service was excellent also. Don't forget to check out Happy Hour. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lobster rolls!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014Heard the lobster rolls were the best in San Diego, not true, better than the ones in Maine. Chunks of great lobster meat and the true New England lobster roll bread. To finish it off, had the wonderful coffee and donut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotnikimeisterDined on 10/19/2014Although I'm sure this place is fun for groups, I went here for the first time on a date and we both loved it. The lighting is perfect and the tables are just intimate enough. Really cool design throughout, the service was wonderful and the food was great, notably the oysters, which were the best I've had in a long while.Special Features:
- Very PleasantWunderfoodDined on 10/19/2014Had a great experience at IFO. Staff was friendly and very accommodating to my request (to move my reservation). The place is hopping. It is loud, but not so loud that it is uncomfortable. Food was great, although the sides seems to overshadow the fish, and the fish is really why we ant there. Service was good, but our friendly server was not a foodie type.Special Features:
- Ironside reviewRichDined on 10/18/2014Restaurant was obviously popular as evidenced by full house and crowded bar. Noise level was excessive and we could barely hear each other at our four person table. Something should be done to acoustics to absorb more sound and make it not necessary to talk loud in order to be heard. Server was average. Nothing remarkable. Food was good, but appetizer plates of oysters/clams/shrimp a bit pricey for what you get. Whole Breem fish dinner was not enjoyable as the fish was full of small bones. Would probably go there again for lunch when less busy and less noisy.Special Features:
- LobsterRollerVIPDined on 10/17/2014This was stupendous! Get the lobster roll and oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nellyceeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014This place is so cute! The drinks and happy hour oysters are the best reasons to come here. I had the fancy fish plate (trout) and my friend had the bass, I did particularly find it amazing. It was ok. The apple crumble was not good at all, at least for this caliber of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Great date night!PLEaterVIPDined on 10/17/2014I had the lobster roll--best EVAH, and this is from a New Englander. Octopus appetizer -- VERY tasty, but a bit skimpy. Hubby had the oysters and chowder. He loved the oysters (I don't do oysters), and we both liked the chowder, although thick creamy white chowder isn't my favorite, this one was very tasty w/a smokey bacon-y flavor. Wine infused cocktail was DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Food alone is worth the visitbucketlistbabeDined on 10/17/2014Went for lunch and liked the policy of picking our own seat. We ordered fish and chips and the mussels. It's hard to find good f/c as there is usually too much batter or it's very greasy. They serve it with a thin batter and a good amount of cod, so it was impressive. The European "chips" were fresh cut and perfectly seasoned. The mussels were also exceptional with a delicious broth that demanded to be sopped up w/the bread. I will be back to try the clam chowder, the brussel sprouts and the lobster roll! Shout out to our waitress, Josie, who did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but not so specialafcdinerDined on 10/13/2014Visited Ironside for the 1st time with friends to celebrate my birthday. Service was excellent. Our server, Sean, was very attentive and even gave us separate checks. The decor is very attractive and the vibe is energetic. We found the food to be good, but nothing special. Only shellfish choices available were the appetizers or the mussels, which I chose as my entree. Had lobster appetizer which was very bland & not worth $13 for the small portion. One big problem is that everything is extra. A side dish of any kind will cost you. And really - $5 for bread! The six of us agreed that, while Ironside is a fun spot, we have had better food with a wider variety in other restaurants. Best dish was my free birthday dessert! I'd order that!Special Features:
- "Ironside Fish & Oyster"PattDined on 10/13/2014Fabulous! We had a party of seven and it was the first time for all. A variety was ordered so I can see we were great "testers" of the cuisine. Right down to the banana split for dessert. Kudos to Cynthia who was obviously a practiced waitress. Great service with humor! The Shinsky family will be returning.Special Features:
- Fish-Eating ManAGreen89Dined on 10/13/2014I like the piranhas on the wall; I wish they also had real piranhas in the store. That's about it!Special Features:
- Fresh seafood, tasty drinksIseafoodIeatitDined on 10/12/2014The seafood was delicious and fresh. Long cocktail menu made it hard to choose, but the drinks we had were tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014Cool atmosphere...Mussels and fish and chips were delish! Service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceTomTuDined on 10/11/2014Food was really good, reasonably priced. Service staff excellent, even though it seemed very busy. All four of us ordered different entrees and sides and we sampled each other's food. Everything was just great. And reasonably priced as well. Be aware that on a Saturday night it's noisy and busy. I'll go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 10/11/2014Go here for the scene, not the food. Many of the dishes came cold or barely warm. Service was barely average. Granted, the kitchen was busy and it was a Saturday night. The mixology team should edit their list of drinks to a more manageable one that they can actually execute.Special Features:
- ChunkylovOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Great place to meet up with friends for lunch, friendly staff, excellent food, beautiful place to dine. Will be back and try their dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Pleased , perfect birthday!FoodmakesmehappyDined on 10/10/2014Staff we're very knowledgable and enthusiastic about giving suggestions for a newbie like myself and his recommendations were on point ! Made reservations for my boyfriends birthday, (him being very picky) and even he was pleased, commenting on the great ambiance, decor, and awesome staff who were friendly and again the food and drinks were Delish !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back...1dabblechefDined on 10/10/2014I loved my Yellow Tail and Brussels Sprout, side dish. My husband's Red Snapper was not quite as tasty but prepared beautifully and may be a fish preference? Our server, Josie, was personable, attentive and knowledgable.Special Features:
- whateverDined on 10/9/2014The noise level was a little too much for us, Tough to have across table conversations.Special Features:
- Awesome seafoodWHAPAMDined on 10/7/2014Amazing fresh seafood. Great ambiance. Incredible decor, especially pirahna wall. Spectacular staff. Will definitely be back for more! Thanks for making my wife's birthday memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We read about it in Westways MagcarrieVIPDined on 10/7/2014We all love a great fish dish so we were excited to try Ironside. All I can say is that I trust that time and more creative effort will lift all offerings. The Fishery still stands as one of the best neighborhood and outside neighborhood spots as they continue to delight with their creations.Special Features:
- All we can say is WOW!livluvlafDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I took the journey down from Escondido specifically to dine at Ironside. We were blown away with the service (David with the beard and bussers), the food, the drinks (I thought that I hated gin...but guess not...must try a Red Lion and a Corpse Reviver 2 both brought to me by David), the food (me the lobster my husband the trout again suggested by David). Probably the best surprise was the delicious octopus appetizer (again brought by David)! The overall atmosphere was so fun and vibrant. We are planning to come back very soon (of course asking for David's table).Special Features:
- First time experience..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014My husband and I tried Ironside Fish & Oyster for the first time last Friday, October 3rd. I made reservations on Open Table for 5:15pm reservation. Since I was driving from work in Friday rush hour traffic in order to make our 5:15pm reservation, I asked my husband to meet me at Ironside. I could not find parking and that was a big drawback... but the food was very good, and the service superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/2/2014The atpmosphere is cool. Wine list is very limited and wines by the glass are even more limited. There was only 1 Pinot available by the glass which wasn't very good. The food was average at best as was the service. Some of the other servers seemed to be providing a better experience to their tables. I'd go back for a drink but not for dinner.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodKinLIDined on 10/1/2014I love this place, great menu, atmosphere and location. The chowder fries are indulgent beyond belief and the oysters are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFabioVIPDined on 9/30/2014The food was excellent. Our server was awesome, incredibly attentive and helpful. A wonderful nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Interior -Food Good,Not GreatdunhamjfDined on 9/29/2014The interior is sleek and stylish. Sadly, I felt the best things I are were the side salad, fries and cole slaw. Though the fish was cooked well, had little taste. The asparagus with fried egg was completely tasteless. Glad I went, but won't be backSpecial Features:
- Ironside's Oysters AloneCynicideForFoodDined on 9/29/2014I've come here for a full fledged meal before and it was definitely noteworthy. What really has me coming back however; Their Happy Hour oysters. I can't get enough of oysters and now can't do anything but Ironside. After a few bad oysters around town, this has become my go to Oysteria. Every Monday, my fellow oysterholic and I settle into a table straight after work, order more oysters than is probably good for us, get some bubbly to go with (%25 off the sparkles at happy hour) and just ooh and aww at the amazing experience. This has now become the highlight of my week and I love how not packed they are on Monday nights too. Come here on any night and it's strictly standing room only. If you haven't Ironsided yet, you're missing out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never AgainbigmattVIPDined on 9/29/2014We did not have dinner here; just oysters & a drink, then left. Very limited menu. For cocktails, we prefer vodka; they offer only ONE, Absolut. While Absolut is OK, there should be more options to choose from when one wants vodka. There are too many other choices in Little Italy to dine. We won't be going back.
- Fabulous time!EvmeisterDined on 9/28/2014We were looking for a special place to celebrate a 4 day weekend in San Diego. The Ironside was 5 minutes from our hotel and in Little Italy. We had oysters, octopus and steaks that were superb. Definitely a go-to place.Special Features:
- Excellent food, attentive serviceSDfoodieDined on 9/28/2014I brought an out of town guest here because she wanted fresh oysters and I wanted to show off the great SD restaurant scene. The staff at Ironside went above and beyond to make this a wonderful experience. Their cocktails are delicious and the food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant scenekneeceeDined on 9/28/2014Cool seafood restaurant with great seafood entree choices, fresh oysters and good selection of wine. Great service Casual noisy atmosphere Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Lobster Ever!FlopDined on 9/27/2014I hosted an evening for two friends and loved it. The lobster was incredible and reasonably priced. They got the tomato salsad which looked elegant and both thought it good. I had melon and salami which was delicious. The dessert menu was drab and disappointing so no dessert for my birthday celebration which was not needed--but missed. The noise level was too high--even though we made 6:00 p.m. reservations in hopes of mitigating it, since many reviews mentioned it. Service was very good from beginning to end. Parking difficult and could be the one reason I wouldn't go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hate2CookDined on 9/27/2014Ceviche had great flavor but surprisingly little fish in it. At $12 for 4 ounces (waitress told us the weight) that is a little steep for tomato, onion and spicy peppers. Lobster roll was great. The grilled albacore salad was on romaine, with shredded carrot and 2 slices of cucumber. That's it. The waitress said it came with roasted root veggies but there were none. It was basically bagged salad with a fully cooked (somewhat dry) tuna steak on it. Loved the atmosphere though.
- Love this neighborhood addition!memarie3Dined on 9/23/2014From apps to dessert this please is spot on! Love the decor and our server, David, was the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. Noisey, too noiseyjreatsandtweetsVIPDined on 9/23/20143rd visit, always great service but it's so darn noisey; precludes meaningful conversation. Food is OK.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014It has been a long time since I have had such a good dining experience. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal and the service was prompt and attentive. Only complaint would be the noise level which made it a little hard to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice in little ItalyKaravakiDined on 9/22/2014Wonderful! Went back twice we had a bunch of appetizers ... Try the Fish ceviche, crab cakes and octopus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.