Iron Star Urban Barbeque
3700 North Shartel
Oklahoma City, OK 73118Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Iron Star Urban Barbeque
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ironstarrbbq.com/
- Phone: (405) 524-5925
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday and Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jose Barrios
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering from 10 to 1000 guests. Many different packages are available to fit your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Rooms available for groups of 10 to 200.
- Private Party Contact: Kimberly Henderson 4055245925x
A word from Iron Star Urban Barbeque
This isn’t a sticky BBQ shack. This is smoky meats, amazing sides and slowing down to share a meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Iron Star Urban Barbeque - Best Restaurants in Oklahoma City ›
Iron Star Urban Barbeque reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (37)great for lunch (36)good for groups (36)special occasion (20)kid-friendly (19)hot spot (12)romantic (6)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- We had a special family dinner here.WilliamanderinsmomDined on 11/21/2014We had a very special pre-Thanksgiving dinner with our cousin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodLittleVIPDined on 11/20/2014We love Iron a Star. They have the best smoked chicken in town. Food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindSkiptonDined on 11/7/2014very good food and service. Many choices on the menu that you can't go wrong with. Pepper rubed Prime Rib is world class. Med rare was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeNeighbor1Dined on 11/3/2014Iron Starr is close to my work, and I meet people there frequently. The menu is expansive and yummy.Special Features:
- Best ribs I've ever had!DCWuffDined on 11/2/2014When visiting Oklahoma City last weekend, I did a Google search for "best BBQ in OKC", and Iron Starr was among the first listings. After checking their website and menu, we decided to give it a go. We were not disappointed! The ribs, mac & cheese, baked beans, and sweet tea were all some of the best I've had anywhere. The service and the overall vibe were great as well. I will definitely be back if/when I ever return to OKC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner did not disapointConfectionQueenDined on 11/1/2014Excellent dining experience. Enjoyed the turkey, brisket and the famous mac and cheese. The seared green beans were wonderful. We ordered an appetizer cornbread, not knowing it would also come with our meal so enjoy a different appetizer :) Love the fact that they are carrying Pie Junkie pies. Overall great birthday dinner. We'll go back.Special Features:
- DisappointedCricketDined on 10/31/2014Unfortunately Iron Starr did not live up to my expectations of good BBQ. I had the combo plate with pork ribs and chopped beef brisket. The meat did not have a good smoked flavor and it was like it had been sitting in a warmer far too long. The BBQ baked beans tasted like they had come straight from a can and heated up. The potato salad had way too much mayo or whatever base was used. With all that said, the cornbread was ok.
- Nice night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/30/2014Iron Starr is far from my favorite "BBQ" restaurant, as I tend to like hole in the wall places that focus on just the BBQ and the sauce and don't particularly worry about ambiance, etc, but I find it works well when taking a friend or co-worker out who wants something different and we don't want to be rushed or to have to shout. I do like Iron Starr's willingness to mix it up in that many of their meals and sides have a twist or spin on them, but I find their dishes to be more subtle and bland than my taste favors. I do find that it is quiet enough to have a conversation without feeling stuffy, and that you don't get the feeling that the staff is wanting to hustle you out so they can get another table load of people in ASAP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptional bbqJosmicroDined on 10/23/2014The service was friendly, and our meals were very good. If you like BBQ you will like what's on the menu. The BBQ club and the rib sandwich were what we had and after eating those we both agreed wed be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good solid BBQ jointStemmiesDined on 10/18/2014The barbecued ribs and pork had a lovely smoky aroma; while the ribs were excellent, the pulled pork could have used a but more spice. The greens and beams were good, the cole slaw and fried okra just ok. Our server was quite attentive and gracious.Special Features:
- Great Food service needs help.GoodBBQDined on 10/17/2014The food was great. Service needs a lot of work. Server was not familiar with the menu. She gave the wrong dressing for our salads although we told her twice what we wanted. The salad was warm and tasted like it was lying on the counter for a couple of hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- victorDined on 10/17/2014we hit the Iron Starr quite regularly and it is as consistent as any place in OKC. Food is always good, service and bar drinks very satisfying. I recommend this place highly to those who want casual dining with above average service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itbertabDined on 10/12/2014The food is good and the service is great as always. The daily soup is always interesting as well as the specials and new weekly pie from pie junkie was very yummy. thanks!Special Features:
- Favorite Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014This has long been our favorite date dining. The menu is creative and all very tasty.Special Features:
- Great Evening OutBoeingboomerDined on 10/7/2014This was our 28th Anniversary and I wanted to treat my wife to someplace we had not tried before, and we were not disappointed! We were greeted by friendly folks and given excellent service! The meats and sides were outstanding and desert was great. The fact that they wrote "Happy 28th" on the peach crisp plate made it that much better! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JDC1Dined on 9/30/2014It was a very nice experience for a group. There were six of us and we had a nice time and great conversation. We will be back. All of us enjoyed the food. We all had "happy plates!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodobustin30Dined on 9/26/2014We've been several times. Always good food. Always good service.Special Features:
- mppfDined on 9/17/2014Very nice neighborhood resturant. Good time- poor parking!!! but worth it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale BBQ jointRalphDined on 9/12/2014Craft cocktails, interesting sides (fried whole okra), and really good BBQ make this an unique take on the traditional BBQ joint. I would definitely eat here again if I make it back to OKC. Great fusion of modern foodie culture and traditional BBQ.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014Surprisingly, their portions were smaller. Was it because they were running out...or...just smaller portions....hum?
- Thankfull Open Table uservbryaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Iron Starr is consistently good, but I am writing this because I want to thank Open Table. I made our reservations through open table 15 minutes before the time I requested. When we walked in it was very busy. I heard the hostess tell a party there was a 45 minute wait. I showed her my phone with the reservation, and we were seated immediately. Thank you, Open Table!Special Features:
- But of CourseBeefeaterDined on 8/30/2014We try others but this place is always at teh top of the "go-to" list. The prime rib as always is a star, and the buttermilk pie for desert is one of the best desert items going in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Part of Iron StarOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014The food and service are outstanding, the side dishes stand out far above most restaurants!! It's in a warehouse type setting so it's obviously noisy.Special Features:
- usually excellentFoodieOKCVIPDined on 8/24/2014When I want fall off the bones pork ribs- I always head here for some of best in region. about every 2-3 years they have a consistency problem and unfortunately did Sunday night. The ribs were about 3 hours from being the usual super tender and a bit to chewy for the pleasure I was expecting. Although we placed a drink order first; drinks were served after we had finished over 1/2 meal. Clearly they had been prepared awhile since the ice was over 1/2 melted. Consistency guys- consistencySpecial Features:
- Consistently great!OkcbornVIPDined on 8/19/2014We love Iron Starr! They have a lot of good eggs! The food is always great and the service is on point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food not as good as my last visitjameyokcDined on 8/15/2014i was excited to have the medallion tenderloins again and brought my wife. it was no longer on the menu. they tried to make it close but it wasnt very good. the manager tried really hard and the hostess called us when we were slightly late for our appointment. service was excellent... but we came for the food. :(Special Features:
- Good, but not greatBengal505Dined on 8/15/2014Our server, Morgan, was great...attentive, pleasant. My pulled pork was a bit dry. My wife ordered the prime rib, medium. When it arrived it had grill marks on it and looked like a rib eye steak. We've had this plate in past visits, and it was never served this way before. One of our guests ordered salad as her main course, it was wilty looking and not inviting. The food was not as good as we had hoped. We've been several times in the past, so we could compare. Very disappointing, I'm not sure why they did the prime rib the way it was done/served? We were there early, so one would think there would have been an end cut. There are better places in town, so we may not be visiting this one again soon.Special Features:
- Delicious!NJoydiningoutDined on 8/9/2014I love the Cobb Salad here - it is a protein lovers delight with big hunks of smoked turkey, crisp bacon, sliced egg and grated cheese. Possibly my favorite part, though, are the generous hunks of creamy avocado. The BBQ Ranch dressing lightly covers the entire salad. It almost looks like there is no dressing, but it's there and adds a nice flavor. (I'm not against ordering a side of BBQ Ranch for a more prominent dressing flavor, though!) My husband had the hamburger and fries and thought it was very good, as well! We received excellent service.Special Features:
- fan2befan2beDined on 8/8/20142nd time. Brought the kids this time. Food was good, but it wasn't as good the first time. Kids weren't that impressed. Our waitress was very good, good service. Had reservations and we were seated right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQokchazmatVIPDined on 8/8/2014Great place to eat BBQ. Excellent food and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 384 reviews are from the Iron Star Urban Barbeque reviews archive.
- Always GoodLittleVIPDined on 7/27/2014We love eating here the chicken is the BEST in town and the sides are really good, especially the sweet potatoes. The cornbread is also excellent. Iron Star never fails, no matter what you order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ TurkeyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014BBQ Turkey was VERY dry!!!! Corn pudding very good. Appetizer of nachos very good.Special Features:
- Best barbecue!OkcbornVIPDined on 7/23/2014We love to visit Iron Starr! Great food and great people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ with IngenuityPhantomjetDined on 7/22/2014Not your regular barbecue restaurant. A lot of thought has obviously gone into the menu and recipes. I had heard good things about Iron Starr for a long time, but this was my first visit. Now I wish I had listened. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Every TimeTheMargoritaDined on 7/21/2014We started with an order of cornbread, made with jalapenos, red peppers & whole corn kernels. I'd enjoyed it before and it's reliably tasty. My friend and I shared the Chopped Beef Brisket Sandwich. The brisket was tender and deliciously smoky. We like the way they serve it, Memphis style with cole slaw on top. The sweet and tangy sauce was on the side. It came with one side and we ordered an extra. Without our asking, we were served on two plates, splitting the Fancy Mac & Cheese between our plates and presenting our Whole Fried Okra in a bowl we both could reach. On a Monday, the crowd was light and we felt comfortable to relax and take our time, sipping our drinks and talking. My tea was fresh and brewed to my liking. Love it!Special Features:
- I Love this place, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014I still feel like I don't know the password or secret handshake. Obviously, a place with a lot of regulars. I always feel like a stranger. Having said that, the food is excellent. I crave the ribs often, just not often enough to be recognized when I eat there.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerBobSDined on 7/20/2014Three of us had the 1/2 chicken and the other one had brisket. All of the dishes were really good and the portions were about right, We tried the corn pudding and I really enjoyed it with the cornbread. I would recommend the Iron Starr.Special Features:
- Excellent Place to goyumminessDined on 7/17/2014had an awesome experience at your place. The ribs & the pulled pork were delicious!Special Features:
- Worth it!ChopSteaksDined on 7/12/2014The Tenderloin was delicious. My wife and I also enjoyed the corn pudding and sweet potatoes. The potato salad was good, but the green beans were a little tough (not the way we like them). We also enjoyed the complimentary Deviled Eggs. The staff was polite and attentive for the most part and the dining area was open, but surprisingly not overwhelmingly loud with others talking. We greatly appreciated not having a TV every direction that we looked and some type of music blaring over our conversation!! Thank You for the pleasant dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food!mamasitaperryVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is a family favorite...all generations! We love the great food!Special Features: