1200 Government Street
Victoria, BC V8W 1Y3Neighborhood:
IrishPrice: CAN$30 and under
Irish Times Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.irishtimespub.ca/
- Phone: 250-383-7775
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday, Monday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Irish
- Executive Chef: Brian Newham
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Facilities:
No one celebrates a party like the Irish! Come on in and enjoy the live music, great food, a warm Irish welcome and of course, the perfect pint or two.
Our chef has plenty of selections to meet your needs. Whether you’re looking for classic Irish favorites or something more current you’re sure to find what you’re looking for. We offer everything from appetizer platters to customized menus for groups of 10 to 100!
Located on the second floor, the upstairs balcony overlooks the stage and the bar. The mezzanine is a warm, inviting spot and can accommodate up to 100 guests.
For semi-private parties, the McCarthy room is perfect for your group of up to 16 people seated, or 20 standing. Light the fire, sit back, and enjoy the heritage and hospitality on tap!
Cozy is the word for this warm and intimate dining nook which seats up to six people.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Pritchard 250-383-7775
- Entertainment: Irish Times offers LIVE CELTIC MUSIC seven nights a week, with a traditional celtic session every Sunday from 7:30pm.
The instruments of Irish music are the fiddle, the bodhrán (a single- handed drum) the uileann pipes, which are not dissimilar to Scottish bagpipes, the guitar, banjo, accordion and human voice, such as sean nós (a capella singing). The harp is confined to banquets. A ceilidh (pronounced " kaylee") is a music session in a pub.
Located at 1200 Government Street, the Irish Times Pub is home to 190 seats over two floors with 80 seats available on our patios, opening onto both Government Street and historic Bastion Square.
Our concept goes far beyond mere architecture though. The Irish Times opened with everything it takes to make a pub successfully Irish, including authentic Live Irish music, 7 nights each week.
The tradition of Ireland has also been extended to our menu, which has been developed on a philosophy of creating traditional Irish food and drink that is both contemporary and funky, showcasing Irish Pub Food as you would see in Ireland today.
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My question -- not a complaint -- is why is the plate for the fish tacos so small. I had to knife-and-fork the tacos and was spilling the slaw onto the table. How about less slaw or a bigger plate?Special Features:
- Always a good spot!Hrd2plsDined on 8/24/2014We always stop by the Irish Times when in Victoria. This time it wasn't too busy, so the entertainment (although good) was too loud and made it hard talk and it was only late afternoon. Good and drinks were well enjoyed and would recommend. See you next time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service/specials need fine tuningBeerNerdDined on 8/22/2014Second time in a row I've experienced poor service and misleading specials. First time advertised 2-1 fish and chips and Hoyne beer on special. On ordering the server says only cod was 2-1 and not halibut, ok fair. We ordered several Hoyne beer, and it was not until we received our bill we saw only one Hoyne beer style was on sale - very misleading. server said she would ask the manager to look into it but nothing was done for us. Next visit I was told that 'all domestic beer was on special'. Got my bill and one of my domestic beers was not discounted. Told the server who seemed surprised that I would bring it up and did nothing further. Servers seemed focused on turning over tables and could care less about your dining experience.Special Features:
- Had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/13/2014Food is excellent and atmosphere is fun. I would recommend. They have a terrific line of beers on tap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 129 reviews are from the Irish Times Pub reviews archive.
- Big FanMimsDined on 6/16/2014We often come for the music. (with dinner and drinks) Tom Hooper, Rollie Barrett and the Sutcliffes are favourites. Good selection of craft beer. Nice big windows and outdoor patio to enjoy the street scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2014I was a little concerned when the restaurant did not have record of our reservation.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014A group of us decided to treat ourselves to lunch after the TC10K and met at the Irish Times to try out their new Sunday Brunch. We were not disappointed. While the regular menu was also available, we all found something to try from the brunch choices and none of us left anything but a few crumbs and fruit rinds on our plates! The servers were attentive and friendly and kept us topped up appropriately. The bill was moderate so none of us felt guilty about having gone out to lunch. What more could you ask for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine Around4ofusDined on 3/8/2014We had the $20 menu - it was good, plain food. Salad, Shepherds pie, fruit crumble. Good value for the money. Our table was in a small snug with a fire - very cosy and private.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine Around 2014MimsDined on 2/26/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the $20 Dine Around menu on Wednesday night. Thank you for recommending Phillips Chocolate Porter with dessert - wow! Body and spirit were well taken care of. The soul was enthralled by the music of Tom Hooper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fun girls night out!GirlsNightOutVictoriaDined on 2/21/2014I've arranged events for my Girls Night Out Victoria Meetup group at the Irish Times on several occasions. I like that I can make a reservation online for a large group, makes my job as an organizer much easier. We've always been really happy with the music, the food and the service. Irish Times will be seeing the Meetup ladies again!Special Features:
- Nice food shame about the musicNornironladDined on 2/15/2014We have been to the Irish Times on a number of occasions. It's one of our favourites. The food is always tasty and the general ambience is great. The beer is excellent and there are always local brews to try. My only complaint was when the music started. We were directly below a speaker on the upper floor through which the music was piped. If I had wanted to be that close to the music I could have stood by the bar in front of the musician. We weren't the only people it annoyed. As I said nice food great beer but maybe turn the music down upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a group of 20 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014We had a group of 20 people with only one waitress serving us. She did an amazing job!! The only complaint I had, is that they put us all in a room so we were a bit separated from the rest of the pub and couldnt hear the band. This would be a great option if you were wanting a quieter section so you could talk, but they werent to know we would enjoyed the "pub vibe" a bit more at the time of reservation so perhaps it would ha e been nice to have been given an option or at least a heads up we were going to be in the room. Also for 20 people, it was VERY crouded in the small room.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceK1JMDined on 2/14/2014Food is generally good but the service we received was not up to standards - waitress was largely absent and was basically rushing us out. Two regular menu items were not available after we had ordered them as well.
- It might have been a bad night.MTjohnsonDined on 2/14/2014It might have been a bad night. It was Valentine's Day and they appeared to be under-staffed. The service was slow with no apologies or explanations. The servers appeared grumpy and flustered. We are a very easy-going couple so it takes a lot for us to be disappointed. The beer selection was good but the food (fish tacos) was surprisingly mediocre. I haven’t been there in awhile and it will probably be awhile before I go back. For an $81.00 night I want a little bit friendlier service and better food.
- Fun timesCycarlsomlnDined on 1/25/2014Busy place as the local band playing but staff was on the ball with great service. Our waitress never missed a beat with keeping our drinks topped up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- afternoon stophrw55Dined on 1/23/2014Nice location in downtown victoria. Love the old building, well kept inside and out. We had a nice little room at the back with view to the street. Service, decor and value all very good. Stop by and enjoy a local brew or of course something from Ireland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love the Irish Times!GirlsNightOutVictoriaDined on 1/10/2014Our ladies night out group had so much fun. We will back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunchlocalsDined on 1/7/2014Went here for a casual staff luncheon. Lots of menu choices for all tastes. Our party of 6 all found something they liked. Staff friendly & helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never failspartygirlDined on 12/29/2013For consistently good food, good service, good atmosphere and good music... I only wish they would have more traditional Irish music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dec 24th evening outgoatDined on 12/24/2013We had a great time. good food and pleasant staff Have a greatn 2014Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Crab Bisque ever!aintvikDined on 12/24/2013This pub has the most luscious Guinness Crab Bisque. Creamy, rich, vibrant flavors. We always make this our first stop for our annual Christmas movie festival trip. Last year they had removed the Bisque from the menu, and we almost wept. Frankly, we were not going to stop this year due to that experience, but checked their menu online to see the Bisque listed and took a chance. So glad we did. HOORAY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimesNVanDanDined on 11/27/2013Great food and beer list. Service is very good. Typically has great live music as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to jig, eat, drink,& eat!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2013We celebrated our daughter's 19th birthday at the Irish Times Pub - the live music was a fun addition to our evening. The pub was great at allowing us to bring in our own birthday cake, and we were happy to share some of it with the musicians and servers too! Definitely recommend the Irish TImes Pub to anyone looking to celebrate, or just have fun, with a group of people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An early dining experienceDeniseDined on 10/19/2013We enjoyed an early meal prior to taking in a show at a downtown theatre. The staff, food and service were good. Although the restaurant was full, the noise level was moderate and we did not have to shout to be heard.Special Features:
- A great pub - will be back!SylarDined on 9/19/2013I really enjoyed the Irish Times! They have a good mix of noisier downstairs bar-style seating and upstairs quiet romantic dining. The ambiance is great, I really liked the decor and the kilts the waiting staff wore. The beer selection was great and the food was quick and delicious. I had the poutine, which I really enjoyed, and my date had the Scotch egg, which she really enjoyed. And the music was great! Overall an excellent night - I'm definitely planning to come here again in the future. It was fairly busy, I recommend making an reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FIRST CLASSkennyDined on 9/11/2013My wife and I we very pleased with the excellent friendly servers and the overall experience. The food was wonderful,we had the special a good choice of beers along with a choice of pizzas which were delicious. Upon arrival at 7 pm we were met by an extremely friendly front end young lady who chose a great table for us right next to the stage. We were astounded by the performance of the local musician (Jesse Roper) who sang and played for over 3 hours. We are recommending this great pub to all our friends, business associates and to anyone who wants a fantastic time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehKingBlozoDined on 8/17/2013A small group of friends, six total gathered for a pint and some food. The pints were good, but the food was mediocre. The quality of the food was not as good as it has been in the past. Overcooked and tough sausages, to bland chicken wings. At one point that evening we were told that we had to move out of our section, as another larger group was coming and the space was needed. We asked to where we would be moving to, and we were basically told to just go and find a place to sit. Another place was located after a search, by us, and from were we were sitting we could see that the larger group never arrived.Special Features:
- odd reservation seating ???mandmsDined on 8/16/2013hi there: i made a reservation using your system...which was easy. however, when we got to the restaurant, our table was right beside the door where we were exposed to everyone's coming and going. not sure why people who planned an evening out get dropped in a high traffic area ? it was very much like being at a parade...watching everyone go by !?!?!? i / we likely would not return for a dinner experience.Special Features:
- Great for lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2013Three of us went for lunch. Two people had seafood chowder and I had a delicious house salad with goat cheese and pistachios. We all agreed the food was delicious. Ambiance , service and wine list were all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentfizhchipzloverDined on 7/25/2013Great food and company. Our allies were almost better than our mealsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go only for the musicDamayVIPDined on 7/22/2013If you want a beer and some music, this is your place. If you're expecting to eat a decent meal, forget it! The entire meal was mediocre at best, but the worst was my overpriced lamb burger. Looked and tasted like a pre-fab frozen patty that was reheated. Looked and tasted like cardboard. The nachos were an overpriced joke......guacamole a hefty extra charge. The music and beers were goodSpecial Features:
- After theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2013We booked this venue for after theater at the MacPherson.It was in easy walking distance.It also gave us a chance to do some shopping before dinner.It offers a great selection of beers which some of us enjoyed.Others enjoyed wine( BC rose).We all ordered fish & chips which did not disappoint.Light coating on very fresh fish was excellent.Chips were hot and crispy.Service was attentive but not intrusive as we were doing a lot of visiting.A great pub.Special Features:
- fun timestinmanDined on 6/29/2013We requested particular seating which was accommadated. Great waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you for the great reservationMikeDined on 6/21/2013Thank you for the great reservation and seating location. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lets eat.tdawgDined on 6/8/2013my friend and i had a great night.i tried the shepherds pie which was melt in the mouth lamb and veggies.i cannot remember what my friend had but i do remember her dessert.it was the guinness chocolate and i had the mocha rhubarb.we would reccomend this place to friends for sure.the night we went the crowd was a nice mixture young and old mostly young but everyone having a good time.in fact we at to share are table with a young couple that had just got of a cruise ship.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FunWonderfulfunDined on 6/8/2013Brought out of town friends and was so pleased with the food and the service. Highly recommend! Cathay was our waitressI would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends Bday DinnershedinesoutDined on 5/24/2013Okay food, service was mediocre and unknowingly rude at times. I think the Times relies too much on gimmick and not enough substance however the background music was lovely.Special Features:
- It was very hot upstairs,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013It was very hot upstairs, so we got moved down stairs. My Irish stew was just okay. It was very busy and seemed like a popular place to go for a variety of beers. I would not dine there again though might go for a few drinks.
- Friendly staff, great pubOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013Friendly staff, great pub food, real "publican" owner. Interior decor as good (or better) than an old pub in London!Special Features:
- UnsatisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2013The atmosphere envelopes you into the warm overtones of the pub. The inner architecture is incredible and there are many areas to sit, most with great vantage points. Our first time in Victoria, we opted to embrace heritage and go Irish for a night. Unfortunately, the warm fuzzies stopped when we were sat at the table next to the door, recieving cold drafts every time a patron would walk in or out. The food is very good, but typical of Victoria's downtown - FAR overpriced for the quality. Additionally, the drinks were outrageously priced, and mixed drinks seemed to have no alcohol in them at all. The service was their biggest deficit. Our waitress checked in with us twice during our entire visit, and was very curt. 0 stars for service.Special Features: