2901 Grand River Ave
Detroit, MI 48201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.iridescencedetroit.com/
- Phone: 3132376732
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday and Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Closed Mondays and Tuesdays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Don Yamauchi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a Private Dining Room that offers secluded seating for up to 10 guests. We also have our upper tier dining area in the room which is semi private and can accommodate up to 45 guests with spectacular views.
- Private Party Contact: Leila Cooper 3133094569
- Entertainment: Come join us Fridays and Saturdays for a lively Piano music celebrated by Paul who is one of Detroit’s most recognizable pianists, Paul played for some of the brightest stars, and he is always ready and willing to preform any request you might have.
A word from Iridescence
Featuring spectacular views of the city skyline, Iridescence is Detroit's premier fine dining experience and has been awarded AAA's 4-Diamond rating year after year. Chef de Cuisine Benjamin Meyer imparts his flair for intense local and natural flavors creating a relaxed and broadly appealing menu. Paired with an extensive and award-winning wine list, Iridescence provides the ultimate culinary experience. To complete your evening, indulge in the decadent artistry of Patricia Nash, 2007 Pastry Chef of the YearContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Iridescence - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
Iridescence reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (164)special occasion (161)romantic (137)notable wine list (72)fit for foodies (61)hot spot (23)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (19)late-night find (14)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Excellent all the wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Our first experience at the restaurant was for my birthday party of 8. We were given excellent service by all and our waiter Hallious was exceptional the food was great best filet I ever had and I was given a slice of cake in the house we shared for my birthday. The staff was all friendly and smiling and I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Thank you for making my birthday dinner a special oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014I ordered the dry aged New York strip medium. It was brought to me well done, informed our waitress. She offered to fix another one & also told her manager who came to our table. He apologized, offered to correct it but also blamed the poor lighting on the appearance of the steak. The soup,& salad were average at best. The staff on the other hand were great & a lot of fun. I doubt if we will go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014Great Jazz brunch a little different from last year still a hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous1969MWDined on 8/31/2014This Sunday Brunch was our very first experience. We were not disappointed. The concept for serving the brunch allowed one-on-one conversations with the servers, who shared how each dish was prepared. This ideal allowed us to make better decisions on our food choices, as well as experience new foods we might not otherwise taste. As one of our dinning guest required reasonable accommodations, this stylish presentation was quite special for their dinning enjoyment. The atmosphere, staff, and food were superb. We even shared our dinning experience through photos taken, for our family and friends on FaceBook. This is as must do on anyone's list, visiting Detroit. We are looking forward to our next Sunday Brunch in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014This 4-diamond offers a fantastic view with equally fantastic food and service to match. Be forewarned though, you pay for every bit of it, but in my opinion it's worth it.Special Features:
- Superb Fine DiningRDFD62Dined on 8/29/2014My absolute go to spot for special occasions , I have been there on several occasions and they have never let me down ! I have taken out of towners there and they have been blown away ! Everything is always perfect !Special Features:
- food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014only thing wrong was I ask for a single rose on table did't happen I wish someone could have called meSpecial Features:
- Sheltir3Dined on 8/28/2014This was a great way to spend our anniversary. Great food, wine and service. Everyone was very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Walk/BirdWhittakerDined on 8/24/2014We were celebrating anniversary and both our birthdays. The restaurant was clean and from our seat we had a nice view. The food was prepared to our expectations. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerKandEDined on 8/24/2014We wanted someplace special for our 40th wedding anniversary and Iridescence was an excellent choice. Very classy place, excellent menu choices and extremely friendly, knowledgeable and professional wait staff. Everyone we encountered (host at the entrance, waitress, support staff and the manager) made us feel special. The food was very good (both taste and presentation) and the wine recommendation by the manager was excellent. The best compliment I can give this restaurant is: "We will come back again, it was worth the money".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Good.RJAYXUDined on 8/23/2014Had high expectations, but was really disappointed with food quality. Certainly not worth the prices on the menu.
- Below averageJokeDined on 8/23/2014We had hair in our salad. I ordered a steak med/rare, came well and burnt in the half. Intrusive, and not well trained wait staff. The potatoes were hard an discusting. My wife's New York strip was unflavorful. Once served we went without service till the end. She wanted salt and pepper for her steak but no one was there to help us. When spoken to about the hair in the salad, it was a whisper. Cannot let others know, it was creepy. Overall, I could get better food and service from Golden Corral and save a bunch of money. Thanks for ruining our annervisary dinner. So disappointed. If I could do te dinner over, we'd go get a pizza from little ceasers down stairs. The view, rundown Detroit. Put up some blinds and turn up the lights.Special Features:
- FPTDDined on 8/20/2014I've dined at your restaurant several times. Just when I think I've been impressed with the last time dining there here I was surprised again. The salmon dinner I ordered was outstanding. I woke up the next day and wanted another ordered it was so delicious. Your staff at the restaurant has always been the best staff. Very professional and knowledgeable. Favorite place to dine.Special Features:
- clarkstondinerDined on 8/20/2014First time at Iridescence. Loved it. Polite cheerful servers, good food, beautiful room, great view. Slow pace is good for me, but the service was really slow. I thought maybe we had been forgotten. I must admit the slow service took away from the enjoyment. Really hate to complain, but waited 1/2 hour between salad and entrée. Otherwise, loved this place and will go again. Have eaten at all Detroit Casino restaurants and this tops them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding anniversaryShellyDined on 8/17/2014This was by far the best anniversary meal we've had in 30 years. We were in a food coma!! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a very special eveningrobloveslizDined on 8/17/2014We ate at Iridescence for a special event put on by the restaurant. It was a collaborative event hosted by the house chef and a local chef from some lovely Corktown restaurants we love. It was a lovely way to experience Iridescence on our budget capabilities, and we are looking forward to next month's event!Special Features:
- DebBDined on 8/17/2014Our party of 4 dined here 5:30 on a Sunday for a Culinary Guild Dinner. Dinner was a 4 Course Prix Fix meal. Each staff member met us with a smile and made us feel special. Chelsea, our server was very good at describing the menu and its preparations. Matt , the Som had some great suggestions on the wine. There were excellent specials on the wines that evening that complemented the menu well. I would ask for them again. Each setting had a signed menu from the chefs that we could take home. Delicious bread basket. The meal was a wonderful value, deliciously prepared, thoughtfully created, and elegantly and artistically plated. The experience from start to finish was such a delicious treat. We will definitely return. Soon!Special Features:
- Our Excellent Dinner ExperiencesilverdollarDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I had a wonderful time last Saturday, starting with our very gratious host and with our wait staff, lead by Jamey. Jamey was so helpful and full of information on the choices we had in mind that it made it that much more enjoyable when each item made it to the table. The beef short rib was OUTSTANDING!!! My wife really enjoyed the fried green tomatoes as it reminded her of her like for country food. Our entrees of lamb and filet were delicious and filling, kudos to the chef. Cocktails set the mood for the evening, though not recommended if you're going to the movies afterward:0)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!JDsLiverVIPDined on 8/14/2014The culinary staff at Iridescence is capable of great things. However, the menu doesn't necessarily reflect that. That's okay, as long as you're forewarned. If you have time, call ahead to arrange a tasting menu. This really allows the kitchen to shine.Special Features:
- Great ServiceannabelleDined on 8/13/2014as always, however, had the fillet and was not very tender. Should be able to cut it with your fork, must have been an old cow. The same old tired menu, perhaps a new one would be in order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 STAR Dining with a GREAT view!lnavinDined on 8/10/2014This dining experience exceed any and all other dining experiences. The flavors are so good, it’s difficult to describe, it left me mouthwatering and wanting more. This is by far is the best fine dining I’ve ever experienced. The staff was very attentive, polite and courteous. When my family and I arrived a top of the 16th floor at Iridescence, we were asked if we had a seating preference, to my surprise this is rare indeed if ever offered. You couldn’t help but be in awe of the beautiful breath taking surroundings both inside and out. Detroit, looks pretty good from the Iridescence Restaurant at MotorCity Casino Hotel! The exceptional attention to detail is what sets this restaurant apart from the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was not as expectedpauljaneDined on 8/9/2014We dined at Iridescence on 08/09/2014. We both ordered drinks, had the ceasar salad for two and my wife ordered a small plate and I ordered the steak. The steak was orered medium.and was cut into pieces on the plate. I was not expecting that. The steak was dry and the sauce was overpowering and took away from the taste of the steak. In the future I would not order that. It should have beed explained to me when I ordered it.Special Features:
- Iridescence lacks some of its nameA2DinerDined on 8/9/2014The venue is terrific - a very appealing view of the downtown Detroit skyscape. The service was good, but not nearly what you would expect for fine dining. The overall cost of the meal was $300 for 2 appetizers, 2 entrees and 2 drinks each (no bottle of wine) - which is a bit more than we expected to pay. While the food good (not great), and the service was fine(not exceptional), the overall experience was NOT in the $300 dinner for two category. Overall, disappointing. If you want to go for the view (get a window seat), appetizers and a drink, it's worth it. For dinner, not so much.Special Features:
- dont order the lobster tailsfondallaDined on 8/8/2014very soggy and wet, no taste at all I sent muine back as it was wet and limp. the other 2 tails were fair at best, no real taste and not real plump.Special Features:
- August 7thALF6306Dined on 8/7/2014Our expectation were much greater than what was delivered. A pricey menu that seemed to try too hard to be hip and different. It was hard to pair appetizers and wine. A few dishes we had missed the taste boat since the multiple flavors overwhelmed the dish. I will go with simple dishes next time. Service and ambiance are great things to have, but the food should still steal the show, and unfortunately this night did not make it; good, but not great or as expected for the price. One very positive note is the table-side Caesar, a bit lemony but the anchovies used were very good.Special Features:
- Bad FiletTonytennis10Dined on 8/6/2014My wife ordered the beef filet as her entree; ordered it medium rare and the piece brought to her was well done. Waitress had it cooked again and the second one was no better than the first one. The Dining room manager apologized indicating the person who normally cooks the filet was on vacation. She did not charge us for the meal and also provided us with a $75 voucher for another meal.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Nice place for a romantic dinner. Beautiful scenery, and decorated very elegant. Be prepared to spend but def we'll worth it for a special occasion or anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAZ1Dined on 8/1/2014The appetizer, dinner selection and dessert were out of this world. Great wine selection choice.Special Features:
- BigezVIPDined on 7/31/2014Matthew (shift supervisor) very knowledgeable on wine and food recommendations. As a result of his listening to what we liked (adventurous, foodies, looking for new experience, etc) and his own insights through conversation with us, he made the experience what it was. Waiter just recommended "what was popular" without asking about us. Food was excellent. Ambiance glitzy casino - not good and could be great given the views. Bottom line - worth it for the food and without Matthew, not sure we woul feel as good about this restaurant.Special Features:
- RalphRalphDined on 7/31/2014A wonderful place to share an evening with friends.Special Features:
- A Pleasant PrizeasiaalaDined on 7/27/2014My fiancé and I booked a hotel at Motor City Casino and ate dinner at Iridescence for the first time . It was honestly a wonderful experience. The food was great, and the service was even better. We arrived at about 8:45, and we really enjoyed watching the sunset over the amazing scenic view. Would definitely recommend this restaurant for a romatic special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DisappointmentannieseatsDined on 7/26/2014We went for our 30th anniversary to Iridescence. We had been there before and it was wonderful. This time, not so much. The food took forever to get to us and then it was only mediocre. This is a very pricey restaurant and our expectations are higher here. We were disappointed this time and will not be back. To top it off, they asked what dessert we wanted for our anniversary celebration and then charged us $13.00 for it! It was TINY and had no flavor! Sorry, Iridescence, Detroit has many other better restaurants we will be visiting next time.
- Birthday DinnerLiving313Dined on 7/25/2014We came here for my girlfriend's 31st birthday. Everything here was to notch. All the food was excellent EXCEPT the "Tale Of Two Chickens". The only part that was edible was the white chicken and the watermelon slice. Neither of us could stand more than a bite of anything else on the plate. The grape martini tasted like perfume. Again, neither of us could handle more than a sip. We switched to Bloody Marys, MUCH better. One of the best Bloody Marys I've ever had actually. This was the only place that actually got the "Medium-Well" perfect. They nailed it! Next time, we will definitely stick with red meat portion of the menu. Iridescence itself is amazing. You can't beat the view nor the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmyYDined on 7/20/2014The food was amazing. We really enjoyed everything we ate. The staff did a great job attending to our every need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretentious and overpricedbouchenotamusedDined on 7/20/2014The complimentary amuse bouche was overcooked tough shrimp. The shrimp in another dish was the same and we returned it. The capresse salad was 4 under roasted grape tomatoes, mushy cheese, and imperceptible basil. The short rib appetitizer was delicious but the silly use of foam on this and other items does not add anything but pretentious fluff. The cioppino thai style was delicious. Very disappointed in so called 4 star restaurant. No point in stylish presentations if the food is sub-standard especially at top dollar prices. Not my choice in ambiance but a good view. Overall would not recommend this restaurant. I'm a foody and a good cook so when I choose to treat myself to a night out then I want to eat food I couldn't do myself.Special Features:
- Great restaurantRalphVIPDined on 7/20/2014This was our first visit to Iridescence, but it will not be our last. Food was packed with flavor and unique in presentation. A very enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!GT82Dined on 7/19/2014Excellent service and food. Great view of the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner, romantic viewmialfaDined on 7/18/2014The food and service were outstanding. The waitress was very professional and knowledgeable, and her only goal was to make us feel comfortable with our choices both food and wine. We were celebrating my husband's birthday, so it was a special occasion. The menu had wonderful choices. My husband had the tenderloin with truffled potatoes, which was like butter. I had the lobster with morel mushrooms and it was the most decadent dish I have ever had; instantly became a favorite. Overall, a memorable romantic dinner with a view that can't be matched.Special Features:
- Not thrilledOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014The food was good but services was slow . I would like to see a few different chicken dishes . Place was clean and Bright . It was kind of pricy for the amount of food but along the lines of what you would expect at a nicer restaurant.
- OkCB1835Dined on 7/12/2014After being seated my wife asked why it had been years since we had been there. We enjoyed the great view of the city. She ordered the lobster I ordered filet, both were fine mine was a little over seasoned hers a little plain. In my opinion not worth the couple of hundred you will spend here for a couple. There are many restaurants around town; most of them cheaper, where the food is much better. This restaurant is all about the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.