W Chicago City Center
172 W Adams Street
Chicago, IL 60603Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.iporestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3129175608x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast 6:30am – 11am: Monday – Friday
Brunch 7am – 1:00pm: Saturday & Sunday
Lunch 11:30am – 2pm: Monday – Friday
Dinner 5:00pm – 10pm: Monday – Saturday
Saturday: Closed for Lunch
Sundays: Closed for Lunch and Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Fernando Coppola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: No private dining area available, however, entire dining room or partial dining room can be booked. A pre-fix menu is required and selections are updated seasonally.
Menus can be customized via discretion of the Executive Chef.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Defraties 8884305922
A word from IPO
IPO showcases New Urban Cuisine with a take on Contemporary American flavors. Chef Fernando Coppola offers signature “shared dishes” in a sophisticated stylish setting. Housed in the W Chicago City Center, IPO captures the elegant energy of the hotel’s 1928 beaux-arts architecture along with the bustle of the financial district, millennium park and the theater district; giving the restaurant a downtown decadence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
IPO reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (11)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)special occasion (2)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)good for groups (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Tasty quinoa for lunchashbashDined on 8/27/2014Surprisingly good spot. Recommend for business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return visit, won't go at 12p againNickDined on 8/4/2014Went there for a business lunch. Good setting, reasonable price point for my line of work. But a bit too noisy at 12pm for business conversation. Go at 12:45 and you'll be able to have all the quiet you need for the second half of your meal. Food was solid as usual, nothing outstanding but nothing bad either.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast at IPOOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2014Only had breakfast, probably not the best indicator. Nice venue. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocore foodnnlunaDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I came for breakfast and were less than impressed. The food was just okay but it was absolutely overpriced. $5 for a side of bacon? There are much better places to grab food downtown.Special Features:
- We were pleasantly surprisedluncherVIPDined on 7/25/2014We planned dinner at IPO because it was convenient for various members of our party. But we were happily surprised by how delicious the food was. From the interesting caesar salad presentation, to the pasta and steak, the food was outstanding. We got there on the early side for dinner, so it was fairly quiet (which was nice). I don't know how the ambiance would have been during the dinner rush, but it was perfect for us!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014After our party was seated, it took a very long time for the waiter to come over and offer drinks. After we finished lunch and our table was cleared, again we had a very long wait before we could flag down any waiter to give us our bill. For a restaurant that is in the Loop, quick and attentive service is key. Most business people have to get back to work in a timely manner. The restaurant, although small, was very, very noisy. In our party of 3, we had to practically shout to hear each other.
- Unexpectedly goodLuciaSDined on 7/10/2014Made early reservations at IPO just to have a convenient meal before a concert...ended up having a fabulous dinner. Best kale salad ever. Great entrees. Personable service. (Icing on the cake, no throbbing music that makes conversation a yell-a-thon.) A delightful restaurant that I would recommend to others.
- IPO in the WjimlaroDined on 7/10/2014The wife and I had dinner at IPO prior to attending a play at the Bank of America Theatre. Service was attentive. Food was delicious, especially the spoon bread dessert. We selected from the fixed price three course menu. As it was an early evening dinner, the place was not crowded and was pleasantly quiet and conversation friendly. For us, it was pricey, but worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServicemuehlbucksVIPDined on 7/2/2014We waited for our food for an obnoxious amount of time, especially during lunch when everyone is on a schedule. Also, it took our server over 15 minutes just so we could pay the bill. I will not be taking any future clients here.
- Always a good experiencejohnbVIPDined on 6/27/2014I have been here a few times. Food is consistently good. Great combinations of flavors. With several great places nearby, in the end the service makes the experience. Our server, Allie, always does an amazing job. This time it was the choice of desert for a birthday celebration.
- BIC gem!KenoshaVIPDined on 6/18/2014If you're heading out to a "Broadway in Chicago" show, do consider a pre-theater dinner special at IPO! I was so pleasantly surprised to get an excellent three-course meal for just $35. The choices were very nice, and the food was top-notch. The Caesar salad was one of the best I've ever had, with very crisp, cold halves of Romaine hearts topped with a delicious dressing and a lineup of beautiful white anchovies. The beef ribs with butternut squash two ways were scrumptious, and I really should have stopped eating the chocolate mousse in watermelon water before I did, but it was too good to stop.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceveggiechicagoVIPDined on 6/10/2014Food was excellent, however when we requested extra bread for the appetizer, we were charged for another complete appetizer. Service was terrible - never refilled our water and kept hovering over us pressuring us to leave. It was an uncomfortable rushed lunch thanks to over zealous staff.
- IPO Experiencediningout19Dined on 5/31/2014The service was great. The food was wonderful. Great wine list. We would definitely go back. Small space but done very well.Special Features:
- Good lunch at the WShutoutDined on 5/27/2014IPO, in the W hotel, has a good lunch menu - solid food, reasonably priced, good service. Not outstanding but definitely better.Special Features:
- Work Lunch Spotdine4enjoymentDined on 5/8/2014I treated a co-worker to lunch, and we both enjoyed out sandwiches. The braised short rib was tender, and beautifully complimented by the roasted tomato and mozzarella. And the truffle fries? Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 302 reviews are from the IPO reviews archive.
- Great foodGatsbyDined on 4/25/2014The food was excellent and it wasn't too noisy so it was great for a meeting. Funny thing is that I received this review from Opentable for my visit on 4/25, yet when I got to the restaurant, they did not have my reservation. Luckily, they had an opening and were able to accomodate us.Special Features:
- Unique atmosphere...DaveDined on 4/18/2014However, the restaurant was loud during the lunch hour. It was difficult to hold a business conversation. Our party of three was seated in a table next to the window. There was also some initial confusion over which staff member was to be our server, but that was ironed out fairly quickly. Food was good. Me and another in my party had the open-faced crab cake sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why bother?VeltrauteDined on 4/17/2014While the food at IPO wasn't bad, it wasn't very distinctive. If it was ever part of the food scene, the scene has moved on. The restaurant was deserted when we got there. Only one other table of guests. A few others had wandered in by the time we left. Our waiter was smart and courteous, but the rest of the staff was sloppy. Honestly, I can't remember a detail about the food other than it came promptly. Don't waste your time.
- Fantastic Find Downtown !mpm6VIPDined on 4/11/2014IPO is a Must Vist Restaurant. Went there before CSO on a Friday night. Was greeted by Jessica, who is charming and very knowledgeable about IPO's cusine. Her recommendation of the melted Mushroom, Goat cheese and Pesto appetizer was spot on. Scrumptious!!! Our Server, Kyle, was attentive without hovering, and anticipated our needs throughout the evening. Our entrees of Sea Bass and Salmon were cooked to perfection, and the glazed brussel sprouts were roasted to perfection. For Dessert, unadvertised Grand Marnier Push ups were beyond words.... Try ask about them! IPO features a Broadway In Chicago Pre-Dinner Special, 5 Courses for Under $35 !!!!! Go to IPO - You will be glad you did !Special Features:
- Among the Best for FoodFoodieVIPDined on 4/9/2014IPO has a varied lunch menu. My friend and I shared the Quinoa Salad and added Salmon and a Short Rib Sandwich. Both were very well prepared . When I return it will be after 12:45. Gets noisy with lunch crowd and every table was taken. Look forward to trying dinner as well as returning for lunch. I should add we came in to the city specifically for lunch and IPO did not disappoint.Special Features:
- IPO - Lunch ReviewTJM1957VIPDined on 3/14/2014Great food and service. The restaurant (like most in Chicago) was a bit noisy. I would go early or later for lunch. Again, like most restaurants in Chicago, the tables were small and too close together, but otherwise a great place for dining. The mushroom risotto was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good option for lunchChikindVIPDined on 3/7/2014Food is good and reasonably priced. Cozy place for lunch with a nice atmosphere. Waited over 5 minutes by the entrance to greet me so that's not really acceptable service, but the server was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Service on a Friday NightPWillVIPDined on 2/28/2014I had been to this restaurant once before on a weekday and had a better experience then last night. This time around my biggest complaint was that the service was extremely slow. They said it was due to there being 2 large parties, however, the "large parties" were not more then 10 people, and the restaurant was not full. On a Friday night you should be prepared to accommodate more then 20 diners. We had been seated for over an hour by the time our entrees finally came. We also waited at least 40 min for the appetizer, which was flatbread and dips (should've taken five min). The waitstaff was apologetic and comped the appetizer. The food was decent, but no food is worth a 1hr+ wait when you are hungry. Overall, it was entirely too slow.
- A Nice Restaurantilike2dineDined on 2/14/2014The restaurant is small, tucked into The W Hotel. It has a trendy romantic atmosphere. We went for dinner.The staff was nice and attentive. The food was inventive and tasty. Also, the prices aren't as high as similar type places. Its worth going, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect nightVdayloverDined on 2/14/2014We went for valentines day and everything was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 2/11/2014Had a lovely dinner here this week! The beet and apple salad was wonderful, so fresh and light! I had the salmon entree and it was cooked perfectly. For dessert I ordered the banana and nutella option... I could have easily eaten several of these it was so good! My friend had the bourbon dessert and we didn't love the panna cotta but the beignet was amazing! I would certainly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delight the EyeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/4/2014I was at IPO for Restaurant Week. Each course was a delight for the eye as well as the palate. The mussels were scrumptious; the 48 hour beef rib wth butternut squash was delicious. Dessert was bourbon panna cotta with beignets, and it was was tasty as well as imaginative and playful. My glass of red wine was good, and I enjoyed talking to my waiter about the menu. The evening was a happy experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Place for BusinessOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/4/2014I love this staff. I do breakfast here once a week with clientsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Comme Ci Comme ÇaFlipInChicVIPDined on 1/30/2014I ordered the mussels - the broth was delicious but the mussels were very small and the chicharon and/or chorizo mix was extremely salty. It's presentation could be better, with the ciabatta bread served on the side instead of being dumped on top of the mussels (what happened to "bread plate"?). I had the 48hr short ribs, as recommended by the waiter - I agree with him making this worthy of being his favorite. It was delicious. My friend had the salmon. We each switched a piece of our meals. The salmon was well seasoned but it was overcooked. Salmon should have a pink center - IPOs was too well done. The desserts were delicious, especially the flavors of coffee! It was hard to pick what to eat from the plate - it was such a huge dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Artisan Food, Little Too SaltybluekirbyDined on 1/25/2014Went for restaurant week, each course was pretty flavorful but just a little bit too salty (and each course had an extra ingredient that wasn't needed but added that saltiness, such as chicharron in the mussels and the walnut & black garlic crumb for the ribs). Not quite enough to fill us up, we also got the flat bread (= Naan bread), which was great but also had salty sauces with it. Great environment, nice and quiet, definitely felt urban and hip, but not too over the top on either account. I recommend sitting on the booth side of the tables rather than the stand-alone chairs, those felt like snake skin. Price was a bit too expensive I thought, cost about as much as RPM but got less food and not quite as good food at that.Special Features:
- Loved it! Lick your plateOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/24/2014Loved it! Lick your plate good. Mussels were outstanding. Portion sizes were perfect. All courses were plated beautifully!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDongerNeedFoodVIPDined on 1/23/2014Went for a business meeting. Much too loud for it. And the food was disappointing. I will not return.
- Good Food, OK serviceekstoneDined on 1/23/2014I've been here for lunch a few times and know to expect slow service. The last time was unreal. The food has always kept us coming back since it's delicious and it's close to the office, this time sealed the deal. We waited 15 minutes for water, another 15 for our order to be taken. All in all lunch was over an hour and a half. When I asked the waiter how much longer it would be for the food, I was told that it "would be done when it was done." Unacceptable, do not plan to go back.
- A night to remembergo2theaterDined on 1/21/2014My daughter and I were going to the Phantom of the Opera at the Cadillac theater. Upon our entry the host was pleasant and accommodating. We were early for our reservation and set in the lounge area until our table was ready. Through out the dinner we had excellent service and was provided with the Broadway 3 course meal special! What a great and cozy place! It made my special night with my teen daughter a night to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New fave place in ChicagoFoodguruVIPDined on 1/17/2014What a great find at the W hotel. After a long trip in I was very pleased with the short ribs and butter lettuce salad. Gastro infusion excellence. Service was very friendly. Excellent Martinis in great old school glassware. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotTODinerVIPDined on 1/14/2014First time dining at IPO and went with a group for lunch. I thought the place would be packed but it was only 2/3 full which was a surprise. The food was excellent, especially the shortrib sandwich. Definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantStevesDined on 1/14/2014Great location, pleasant ambiance, attentive staff, great burgers. A fine addition to the neighborhood.
- Disappointed.BradVIPDined on 1/8/2014I met a friend for lunch between our offices. She recommended the garlic Gorgonzola bread, which was really good. From there, things went downhill. Our server disappeared in a sparsely filled lunch crowd and didn't return to take our order until the appetizer was mostly gone. In the middle of the loop at lunch hour, you would think they would realize that people have to get back to work. I had the cubano sandwich and it was mediocre. My friends burger looked good, but I didn't bother to ask because I don't plan to return. To sum up, I wouldn't bother going for anything but the garlic cheese bread.
- Great food...Awesome servicedineNdashDined on 12/28/2013We had reservations at 6:45 on a Saturday night on a recent visit to Chicago. T=Found this place through OpenTable and was very pleased with its high rating. Reservations were pretty early in the night so the restaurant was dead except for one other couple. Figuring the early reservations must have been why since the food was incredible and our server was fantastic! The menu was accommodating to all types, my girlfriend is a vegetarian, and had many options for starters, entrees, and desserts. Portion sizes where just a tad on the small side but made up for it with flavor. Would definitely dine here again and recommend to others visiting Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timekmilDined on 12/21/2013We had an excellent experience at IPO. The food was delicious and very interesting, the wine selection good and the service great.Special Features: