912 Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ioriorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (503) 445-4716
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Christopher R Thompson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Hilary Benson 5034454716
A word from Iorio Restaurant
EST 2005 Traditional, homestyle Italian food. Named BEST RESTAURANT 2010. Chef/owned and operated by Hilary & Chris Thompson.Continued
The Oregonian: a destination for home-style southern Italian cooking.
10best.com: Welcome to heaven.
Vanguard: Truly extraordinary food.
The Oregonian: a destination for home-style southern Italian cooking.
10best.com: Welcome to heaven.
Vanguard: Truly extraordinary food.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Iorio Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
Iorio Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (119)special occasion (106)neighborhood gem (103)romantic (75)good for groups (42)notable wine list (33)kid-friendly (17)hot spot (15)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- BBrownYumyumDined on 11/23/2014Great ambiance, service and food. I had a great experience and a waiter that went beyond what I would have expected. While there are many wonderful choices on their menu, I was looking forward to ravioli. In keeping with the season, they had pumpkin ravioli - I really do not like pumpkin at all. Other choices included root vegetables-- which is just as bad for me as pumpkin. The waiter asked the kitchen to change the ravioli to pork and ricotta.. it was wonderful. I've never had a waiter be so invested in their guests' enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian foodCliffDined on 11/22/2014The vegetarian lasagna is spectacular, and the ambience is excellent - very romantic and quiet. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual.BadBobDined on 11/22/2014Been there several times and it is wonderful as usual. Service has always been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReturneeRobynBDined on 11/21/2014This really is a great restaurant. We've been here several times and will be back. They do everything right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!MaggieDined on 11/21/2014Iorios is a great find for anyone wanting a delightful evening with delious food, great service and a quiet, intimate ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great resturant!CarolDined on 11/21/2014Food is exceptional. Not your typical Italian resturant.Special Features:
- My client loved this place!StFrancisDined on 11/19/2014Really a quaint little place that at times can get a lttle loud. Service had a personal touch to it and the menu choices were just the right amount. It was well prepared, the presentation was terrific and well, it just tasted great!! These people get it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet Food! Sweet Place!SharonDined on 11/16/2014My husband's birthday! Staff were very kind and attentive. Food was excellent and reasonably priced. Everything tasted freshly made and delicious. We especially enjoyed the gnocchi and my husband loved his special treat, the steak entree. The atmosphere was warm, comfortable and inviting. I've already shared how nice our new experience was with my sisters, their husbands, and some friends. All of who love good food, laughter and good times together. We recently moved to Portland from Omaha NE and are happy to identify Iorio as a new, favorite eating place. My good friends in Omaha had presented us with a good-bye gift certificate to Iorios, based on a recommendation from a native-relative from Portland. We went to Iorios sight unseen, gift certificate in hand, and now promise to return with anticipation and smiles. Thanks for making my husband's birthday a wonderful event and fond memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood Find7156caDined on 11/14/2014Enjoyed the pleasant and attentive service and quick seating. Staff were great. Food was good. My risotto was what I expected - comforting and warm. My husband ordered the pig dish and found little meat but lots of polenta. He wouldn't order again. We will go another time and try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian comfort foodJulieBDined on 11/14/2014The food is great, prices are reasonable and very glad to have all the gluten free options. On my visit last Friday (November 14, 2014) the wait person seemed perpetually peeved that he had to serve us. I did not see him smile once and when I asked for some bread (isn't that a given at an Italian restaurant?) he grunted and returned with an appetizer that included a spread that I did not want or want to pay for. Overall it was a good experience but the waiter could have made it great and he did not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice fancy night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014The food here is great, this was my second time eating at Iorio's and so far everything we have tried has been great. Fresh ingredients, well portioned meals, and a nice beer/wine/spirits list. When we first got there, there was some very nice guitar music playing, but with the combo of how many people were there and how quite our waiter was, the music was a bit loud. Over all worth coming back again and again.Special Features:
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Iorio. The service and food were very good. Warm and comfortable inside. Nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Osso Bucco!!NanaRDined on 11/8/2014I had the special Osso Bucco and it was the best i've ever had. The meat just melted in your mouth with flavor equally delicious. Too bad this isn't on the regular menu, it's my new favorite dish, thank you Chef Chris!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!ZaloverDined on 11/7/2014This was the beginning of my birthday weekend celebration, later dinner with two close friends. Other than having to wait almost 30 minutes for my 8 PM reservation that specifically requested not near the door (way too drafty for November), I had a great time with wonderful food and very attentive service. My only other observation, is that the wine offerings of Italian reds, were not stellar. All of them were very young and lacked the pazazz I expect from both rustic and refined typical Italian red wines. The chianti was very harsh and the mixed red also fell flat. Your food and service is so wonderful, perhaps a chat with your wine supplier might improve this a tad. (We collect both Italian and local red wine). Thanks for a great time!Special Features:
- always greatSheRaDined on 11/6/2014Iorio is not too far from my home and always good. This time I would not call it fantastic, though. I had Lamb ragout, it was very good but needed more spice, more kick. My leftovers, which I ate the next day for lunch, actually tasted better. Often stew-like foods are better after they sit a day. The pear, walnut salad was only so-so, for $8 I won't get it again. House red wine was nice and the service was excellent. I also really like the atmosphere. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MumsDined on 11/2/2014The food is exceptionally well prepared and so fresh, and there's something on the menu for everyone. We love the calamari and the home-made pasta, especially the cassarecci with manila clams. Salads are excellent, too. Wonderful lamb ragout, gnocci, and all seafood dishes are perfection. Wine list is short but well chosen to pair with the food. Home-made gelato! Almost all dishes have a gluten-free option, a big plus. We return because the qualilty of the ingredients is consistently high, and preparation is top notch. Service is very good, too. Very reliable, with reasonable prices considering the quality of the food. Nice ambiance, sometimes I wish it weren't quite so noisy, but having travelled in Italy, it feels typically Italian! We like to take out of town visitors to Iorio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a highlight!SueKDined on 11/2/2014We've been coming to Iorio for almost 9 years and never are we disappointed. The food, of course, is wonderful, but the service is outstanding and adds to the overall experience. We love the hand made ravioli - regardless of the filling or sauce. Soups are always special. I could go on through the menu without a single bad comment. We also loved the music on Sunday night - beautiful classical songs on the acoustical guitar. If I had to complain, it may be that some nights are booked. Get your reservation early!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iorio is a great restaurantrogerVIPDined on 10/30/2014Best calamari ever and delicious gf potato gnocchi. Service was very accommodating and helpful.Special Features:
- David11217Dined on 10/30/2014Iorios is always a favorite: food and service are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 10/29/2014Cozy restaurant. Nice variety menu and liked my fresh salmon entrée with potato cake and lite sauce. Would recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014My experience at Iorio was good - food, service, ambiance. Fresh flowers on the table would have been much nicer than a pen with a plastic flower top. A small thing yet important to me. I came because of a gift certificate given to me. Your prices are high which will deter me from returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bortjday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014The slow roasted pork (entree) and affogato (dessert) were exceptional. I wanted to return the next day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eggplant parm not well baked.NoticeseverythingDined on 10/25/2014Don't get me wrong, my husband's smoked salmon ravioli were delicious and a generous portion. The butternut squash soup was truly tantalizing to the taste buds. But the eggplant parmesan, served on a plate (rather than the east coast deep dish style), was chewy, and required cutting with a knife. It should have been left in the oven for at least another 5 minutes. What's the rush? I figure that this dish and lasagne are the classic standards for any Italian restaurant. I say change to a deep casserole dish, use a little more olive oil or sauce perhaps and give it more time! Ideally one can eat this dish with a fork! I do appreciate the gluten free. I also found the place too loud, and would likely choose a quieter establishment next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, Perfection!bgwagsVIPDined on 10/25/2014We love Iorio….our favorite Italian in Portland. Can't wait to go back. Chris makes you feel like you are family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long-time CustomerNiftynoodleDined on 10/25/2014I've been going to Iorio for years and my husband and I have brought many friends there. Everyone leaves happy and stuffed. Chris is a wonderful chef and host and his dishes are hearty and always delicious. Check out the house-made raviolis, gnocchi sand pizzas that change daily. The catch of the day never disappoints, and my husband always craves the chicken and creamy polenta. Also if you get a chance to do a cooking class with Chris I highly recommend it. I have done over 8 classes with him at this point and it is always a good time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Add to Top Ten ListCJJeeperDined on 10/24/2014This restaurant (Irorio) is definitely a "top ten" candidate for anyone’s list. The service was excellent and the meal was even better. Because of my friend's food allergies we requested a "custom" preparation of a menu item and were accommodated with no problem. With reservations we were able to be seated upon arrival with no wait. The server explained everything on the menu and took the time to answer our questions without making us feel awkward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm ambiance and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Easy to bring kids here and delicious adult food, too. I appreciated all the gluten-free options. Service was warm and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tony The TigerLambhoarderDined on 10/19/2014Mannnn,...that Lamb Ragou is the truth! That nice, gamey taste, coupled with the brilliant tomato sauce, is what pulls me in. When I scarf down that plate, I leave full and feeling great! (no Tony on the "great")Special Features:
- GorgonzolaDined on 10/18/2014My sister was in town from SF and took my daughter to dinner for a special night out. Both were very impressed with the waitress, who without asking brought a size of gorgonzola with my daughter's pasta (after repeating the special w/ the cheese). This is now her favorite restaurant. The food was delicious, the service top notch, and the extra attentiveness superb!Special Features:
- FabuloususuallydonotleavereviewsDined on 10/11/2014Food was great, place was busy, we got the wonderful seat by the window to celebrate our special occasion.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Wanted a little taste of Italy and discover Iorio on Opentable. Food portions are generous and delicious. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningdininginpdxDined on 10/2/2014Iorio was a nice surprise. I wanted to try an Italian place that had eggplant parmesan. It was similar to dishes of the same I have had in Italy.Special Features:
- Would Not RecommendfoodieDined on 10/1/2014I'm sorry to say this restaurant did not live up to the rave reviews it has received previously. The food was bland and the service was very poor. It was not busy. I think the staff just wanted to go home.
- Outstanding diningEliPBDined on 10/1/2014We have eaten here several times, and it is consistently excellent.Special Features:
- Consistently good!AllayDined on 10/1/2014I have been meaning to write a note on yelp too. The food is always good, service is always great and their burger during happy hour is the best in town. And they have great gluten free options. The most tasty gluten free pasta I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian foodieItalianEatsDined on 9/27/2014The server provided good attention to our needs. Food was piping hot and flavorful. Price reasonable for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Gem in PDXpdxfoodieDined on 9/27/2014Having grown up in Chicago, Italian food in Portland has lacked for many years. Iorio is finally a place with well done Italian neighborhood food. Cioppino was better than the most recent one I had in San Francisco! The waitress was very solid on the food and wines and what the best pairing was. I plan to make a return.Special Features:
- ExcellentDaBaumDined on 9/27/2014Delicious food, wonderful wine pairing, great service. Very pleased. Ordered seafood stew. The mussles melted in my mouth. You could almost eat this stew with a fork. In fact, i did. Homemade cannoli. Cant wait to return for the lamb, or the brown rice risotto, or the eggplant parm, or the handmade ravioili, or the gelato, etc. etc.Special Features:
- ToniDined on 9/26/2014Wonderful, as usual. A gem in Portland for sure!Special Features:
- So yummygnocchiDined on 9/25/2014We had a great time at Iorio. Our party of 4 all ordered different entrees and each were delicious. I was dreaming of fluffy gnocchi that night!Special Features: