912 Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ioriorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5034454716
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Christopher R Thompson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Hilary Benson 5034454716
A word from Iorio Restaurant
EST 2005 Traditional, homestyle Italian food. Named BEST RESTAURANT 2010. Chef/owned and operated by Hilary & Chris Thompson.Continued
The Oregonian: a destination for home-style southern Italian cooking.
10best.com: Welcome to heaven.
Vanguard: Truly extraordinary food.
The Oregonian: a destination for home-style southern Italian cooking.
10best.com: Welcome to heaven.
Vanguard: Truly extraordinary food.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Iorio Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
Iorio Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (91)special occasion (82)neighborhood gem (79)romantic (61)good for groups (30)kid-friendly (19)notable wine list (16)hot spot (12)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Best Italian in PortlandbgwagsVIPDined on 8/30/2014We love Iorio! The food is delicious and prepared with love. The owner and chef, Chris, always comes to the tables and speaks to his guests. We look forward to seeing him. We can't say enough good things about this gem of a restaurant. At our last visit we brought a friend with us. She is attending a local culinary school. She is also a food blogger. She adored the food and really enjoyed meeting Chris. The last thing she said to us when we took her home was "You have made me very happy. Thank you for introducing me to Iorio!" We always look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Amazing Italian food, been here's several times and it's consistently great. My only complaint is I wish they'd give some complimentary bread, it just seems wrong with spaghetti to not have some!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IorioEOAmericaDined on 8/28/2014We had a lovely evening at Iorio. The service was impeccable. The food was good, though I would have preferred things to be a bit more highly seasoned. For example, the spicy meatballs were anything but spicy. That being said, they were absolutely, mouth-wateringly delicious. The only real drawback was that we were a large group and the restaurant was sufficiently loud that we were pretty well reduced to shouting at each other to be heard. Then again, I freely confess that I am extremely sensitive to noisy restaurants. We'll be back--but with a smaller group so we can actually have a conversation!Special Features:
- Simply Fantastic!luvgoodwineDined on 8/27/2014First time at Iorio...the menu does not lie, best calamari in Portland! We also had the focaccia and squash spread...to die for. Went well with the house prosecco. Our server was fabulous and attentive even though it was busy, and they got us out in time to catch our comedy show. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite Oasis in the cityGFgirlDined on 8/27/2014Iorio continues to be a friendly, warm, get-a-way dining experience. Our food was, as always, delicious and pleasing. Several of us have food allergies and the Iorio kitchen and bar can handle us with great options! We confidently share this experience with our friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on the SE PortlandMrSeattle1Dined on 8/23/2014Iorio, once again, was the hit of the night on my birthday celebration. This restaurant continues to be on the top 3 on my list. The food is of excellent quality and the service is outstanding. Please continue like that and never allow it to go down.Special Features:
- worldtravelerDined on 8/23/2014The experience was very pleasant. The food was fresh, delicious and served hot which just the way we like it and is hard to find in many restaurants. The service was wonderful and we will definitely return again and again:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian, the Right Way2muchgoodfoodDined on 8/23/2014Fresh ingredients flavored wonderfully. Four people in our party enjoying appetizers, main course, and dessert. Everything was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not disappointoutnaroundDined on 8/22/2014Consistently meets my expectations. Waitstaff attentive, meals delicious and a good value, gluten free options continually expanding and delicious. Owner checking on his customers experience, priceless. Chris and Hillary are doing it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!NanaRDined on 8/21/2014Chef Chris consistently turns out yummy fresh dishes. Especially like that he has a variety of gluten free items including pasta. The highlight of the dinner is when he comes out and spends time with your dinner party in conversation. A little noisy but overall so worth it, highly recommend IrioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingacarrDined on 8/20/2014I especially enjoyed the gnocchi and the many options for varying dietary needs. I was very surprised, though, by the lack of attention from the server, as well as the blase attitude on a slow night. Great service goes a long way toward making or breaking a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect OverallcatsicatDined on 8/20/2014I made a reservation here with my boyfriend for our anniversary, and we were not disappointed. I asked for a table in a quiet spot and they gave us the cutest corner table with a windowseat. The food was amazing, the ravioli of the day was butternut squash. The texture was perfect and the sauce was silky and creamy. Our server as very attentive, I can't wait to come back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnerjoeknows2013Dined on 8/17/2014Went to Iorio for our anniversary last Sunday. We got one of the romantic window seats, which are very popular. They had a fellow playing the guitar, which helped provide a very romantic and special vibe. We started with a salad we split, which we recommend, of butter lettuce, a light lemon dressing, assiago cheese and fried onion strings. Our server recommended we eat it like a lettuce wrap, which was fun and different. It was delicious! My wife ordered the seafood special, which included salmon, shrimp, some delicious kale and mashed potatoes. Unfortunately, the salmon was a bit dry and did not have much flavor, but the rest of the dish was good. I had the lamb rague over fettucini, a very hearty and generous dish.Special Features:
- impeccable food experiencefmlaDined on 8/17/2014The gnocchi is the best I've ever eaten. Likewise, the calamari app was perfect. I have spent most of my life surrounded by chefs. So often I am disappointed when dining out, because my food experiences are so great at home with family and friends. The pasta dish with manila clams and kale was delicious. The chicken ravioli dish was rated top notch by my party. The fresh salmon was seared and served stacked on several large prawns, fresh asparagus, and topped with crispy leek straws; a presentation that wowed all of us. Again, perfectly prepared and moist. There was a live guitarist playing in the background. We will return to this newly found restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlexibleLiLuDined on 8/14/2014They are always great working with diners who haved food allergies! If you make an OpenTable reservation, be sure to mention the allergies on your comments, and they'll be prepared with options for you! :-) And the food is always very tasty!Special Features:
- DaveLDined on 8/13/2014The food and service were very good. However, it was quite noisy. Not good for intimate conversations. A little pricey for a neighborhood Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodCoojoe5Dined on 8/13/2014Service was better than average i did put a special note on my reservation and it was followed perfectly. I will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014We loved the service. Special Gnocchi and Ravioli were excellent. Gelato was not, skip it. The music was ok but I would've preferred something else. They need a more extensive beer list and they could probably leave off PBR. They do have a kids menu and if your kids are well behaved it would be very appropriate.Special Features:
- ExcellentBadBobDined on 8/10/2014Our top Italian restaurant in Portland. Have recommended it to many.Special Features:
- Ioriothx4thegrubDined on 8/9/2014This was a wonderful recommendation from people we trust to find us fantastic food at a very reasonable price. It has been hard to find a great Italian place, which has been unusual for such a foodie city. We are all set now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DsquaredDined on 8/9/2014always great food and the wine pairs well. one of our favorite spotsSpecial Features:
- Awesome DinnerPamu199Dined on 8/9/2014We live in Eugene and found Iorio by accident the first time. We walked in because it was close to a comedy show we were attending. We had the best dinner and truly enjoyed the whole experience from the food to the service. We made reservations the next time we were in Portland and the meal and the service was excellent. Whenever we are in Portland, we will definitely find the time to have dinner again at Iorio's. I highly recommend this restaurant, the food is excellent and service is excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful, satisfying mealKenAidianDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed the ribeye-stuffed ravioli very much, and the braised pork shoulder was excellent. The flourless chocolate cake with vanilla gelato was the perfect finish to a wonderful meal. Service was prompt and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great scratch foodLuv2eatDined on 7/31/2014We wanted to try everything on the menu! The food was so fresh and clearly scratch prepared. Perfectly pared flavors. My wife had the braised pork and I had the special chicken ravioli with creamy pesto! We shared! The desserts were delicious as well. Perfect night out for our 32nd anniversary. They made us feel special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Italian dining findPastamanDined on 7/30/2014No issues with the OpenTable reservation, even with changing the reservation three times to accommodate the seven in our party. Our waitress was attentive, responsive, informative, and had great suggestions for dinners and wine selection. The service was just outstanding. This place reminds me of a few places I have been in the Boston Italian district. Fresh ingredients, homemade fresh Italian pasta and delicious pizza. We arrived at 5:15 pm since we had a 2 year old with us and was delightful through the entire meal. The waitress brought snacks and activities to keep her busy. As tables filled we were not pressed or rushed to process us out the door in any manor. Great food, great friends and fantastic experience, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningthatoneDined on 7/26/2014Iorio's is one of our favorite restaurants and this is where we chose to celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary. Everyone on the staff was warm and accommodating, helping us celebrate this special day. Even waiters who weren't serving us had something sweet to say - or to ask how we make a marriage last so long! We even got our favorite table in spite of the fact that we couldn't ask for anything specific with Open Table. The food is great because it always is, the service is excellent without being stiff, and the atmosphere is romantic and grown-up but not formal. Iorio's is one of those places where you never seem to feel over- or under-dressed. There are a lot of fancy places to celebrate but Iorio's is our neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner with friendsKoubaVIPDined on 7/26/2014I had been to Iorio before but it had been a year or so- I thought it was even better- we loved our food and the bottle of wine was perfect with what we had.i look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tvbobDined on 7/26/2014As always, great food, great offerings on a great menu, and very great service. Melissa is the best!!Special Features:
- Double DTheDevineDinnerCDMDined on 7/24/2014The service and food are great! We will make it a weekly constitution!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Birthday DinnerPDXSoozeDined on 7/20/2014We had an awesome birthday dinner party! We are regulars and invited 4 friends to join us for their first Iorio experience. They loved it as much we did! Wonderful food & beverages, service and atmosphere. We always dine early (5pmish) in order to get a table and have plenty of time to enjoy ourselves. Iorio caters to food allergies (gf, vegetarian, etc), and the quality is SUPERB. Truly is our favorite Italian restaurant in PDX!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014The food was great and service was prompt. The location is somewhat off the beaten path, but we had planned to make a special trip to get to the restaurant anyway. My parents have eaten here several times and raved about the food. Would have loved to have tried a dessert, but we had already made plans to try a new ice cream place in the Alphabet District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumSuzyQDined on 7/19/2014It's a place for Foodies. Really enjoyed the Lemon Cello Coolers and the creamy polenta. The cheese plate is a must. The noise level is high, so don't plan to carry on much conversation across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best!vocexpertDined on 7/13/2014A never miss restaurant. We have enjoyed eating at IORIO several times, with family, out of town guests or just good friends. The menu is balanced so that the meat, fish and vegetable eaters are all offered really good options to choose from. On our last visit we had two carnivores, one vegetarian and two picky eaters. All were pleased.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodPDXFoodieDined on 7/12/2014We love this restaurant, have had many positive experiences here both going solo or taking friends. Service is always friendly, efficient and non-intrusive. Food is always excellent. Bonus points for catering to gluten-free options, although you would never know you were eating gluten-free. This is just a very special place.Special Features:
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Our waiter was new and tried hard, but clearly not up to speed. Our $9 cocktails were made without carbonation and the waiters solution was to bring us a glass of mixer that was carbonated? Now what? The seafood special was not up to the Iorio standards. Other courses from the menu we had were very good. Wine list was good and our selection was quite good. Probably won't rush back to Iorio, but maybe sometime in the future.Special Features:
- Every course exceptionalmayorktVIPDined on 7/3/2014From the focccacio with butternut squash spread stuffed with fresh roasted garlic, to the beets thinly sliced and layered in dolce Gorgonzola, to the fresh gnocchi in slow cooked bolognese to the creme brûlée baked with fresh Oregon cherries -- it was exceptional. Attention comfortable service. Reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- Good eating at IorioDavid11217Dined on 6/25/2014We like to eat at Iorio: first of all, the food is really very good and the service is very competent and friendly. The total experience is akin to eating at the home of a good friend who is also a wonderful cook. You will never leave hungry or unhappy.Special Features:
- goodcookieDined on 6/22/2014The restaurant meets all the expectations of someone who grew up in Brooklyn NY and frequented Italian restaurants. It is fresh, wholesome, abundant well prepared and served food. In fact, count on taking half it home with you in their very recyclable containers. I recently had the beet salad--two different beets, crispy greens, cheese and an herb. It was delicious. The only negative does not relate to the food which is varied enough for a vegetarian to have plenty of choices. The room can be a bit noisy at times but the wonderful guitarist's playing helped dispel this annoyance.Special Features:
- Exceptional ItalianteddymarDined on 6/21/2014Iorio is not a fancy place, but the food is excellent and the service is good. We have eaten here twice, and both times we left feeling very good about the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2014always good food and great service the extra effort by the staff makes this a winner everytimeSpecial Features: