505 Front Street
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://iomaui.com/
- Phone: 8086618422
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Seafood, Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: James McDonald
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our events coordinator.
A word from I'O
I'O (pronounced ee-oh), is Maui's original "farm to fork" restaurant serving Hawaiian regional cuisine in a contemporary beachfront setting. Acclaimed chef and partner James McDonald combines organic produce from the restaurant's very own I'o Farm with meat from upcountry ranches and fresh local fish. I'o is Maui's only DiRona Award recipient, and has achieved many accolades for innovative and sustainable cuisine. For wine aficionados there is an extensive and varied wine list, which has earned Wine Spectators' "Award of Excellence" consecutively for over a decade. I'o is one of Maui's true eclectic culinary gems!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
I'O reviews from OpenTable diners
- Fresh tasty foodgreatvaluesVIPDined on 12/5/2013Last minute we decided to try I'O based on previous reviews and that it is not located in a hotel. Food & service was great and the prices were very reasonable. Love the farm to table concept for the ingredients are fresh and tasty. Not too much going on, but simple but excellent flavors. Would go back and highly recommend. In fact we are returning to try Pacific'O.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurantjoelDined on 11/7/2013Check out the beet risotto; very tasty and unique. The fish dishes are all excellent. Great decor and service. They gave me no argument when I returned a bad pineapple ginger sorbet.Special Features:
- MemorableOzzieDined on 11/4/2013Beautiful atmosphere, creatively delicious flavors with beautiful presentation, personable and impeccable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best view in townyntbomVIPDined on 10/31/2013Amazing seaside setting. Perfect romantic dinner at sunset. Service wonderful. Food, farm-to-table, and ocean-to-table fresh and delicious. If I had a negative, it would be that the food is expensive...but par for the course for this part of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sarah was awesomeMeegsVIPDined on 10/28/2013The lamb divine. Freshest vegetables grown in the volcanic soil of Haleakala . Kale roasted beets and whipped potatoes are delicious . Sarah was our server last year, and she hasn't lost her spark. The whole experience was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LinzVIPDined on 10/13/2013We just spent our babymoon in Maui and I'O was definitely one of our best dining experiences. The outdoor patio is lovely, the service was fabulous and the food was fantastic. The farm to table concept works. Just wish I could have enjoyed some of the fabulous wine on the menu! Only slight criticism was that the chef was a little too heavy handed on some of the seasoning on the I'O Trio, particularly the fish...when the fish is that fresh and delicious it does not need that much salt. Otherwise, we thoroughly enjoyed I'O and would definetly recommend an evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDenverTravelerVIPDined on 9/29/2013The food (I had the I'o Trio) was fantastic. Best lamb chop I've ever had. The fish was prepared perfectly as was the filet. Our server was attentive without over doing it. Early dinner meant a beautiful sunset. The neighboring luau makes some noise but it isn't obnoxious. We visit this restaurant every time we're on Maui and they haven't disappointed us yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, long waitLuv2eat2Dined on 9/27/2013The food was overall good but we had better in Maui. Menu said to allow 2 hours if choosing the tasting menu. We ordered off the regular menu and it still took 2 hrs and the restaurant wasn't busy at all.
- Perfect - Simply PerfectfrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/13/2013Great food, wonderful service, awesome view - perfect.Special Features:
- What Were They Thinking?Travels4FoodDined on 9/4/2013This could have been one of the best restaurants in Maui, but the service was way below par, so the experience was ruined. I've never complained when writing a review about the service, but I just have to with I'O! We were basically ignored by everyone . . . even after we complained. In fact, after we complained, we were ignored even more. (And we only asked for more water at that time!) Our food (which was very good when we finally got it) took forever to get; and when we finished, it took forever for our dishes to be cleared. We (four of us) were at the restaurant for more than two hours! And we didn't have dessert or linger over coffee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely ocean side diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2013Came here with a friend and 2 16 year old boys, the waitress was charming with the boys and they had nice non-alcoholic drinks. Beautiful outdoor setting. Lovely menu, food beautifully presented. Service was a little slow but attentive. Would definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time a service slip!FRotgersVIPDined on 8/9/2013Our second time at I'O matched the first in everything but the service, which slipped from excellent to ordinary. The young woman who served us today was friendly, but inattentive. She disappeared for long stretches. Perhaps she was distracted, but it sure made the experience less than the outstanding one we had only a few days before.Special Features:
- Fabulous, creative and on the beachFRotgersVIPDined on 8/6/2013I don't often write out reviews here on OpenTable, but I'O demands more description than a few star ratings. This is a fabulous restaurant. My partner and I have had a string of wonderful meals in Hawaii (Chef Mavro in Honolulu, Lahaina Grill on Maui) and this is one of the best. We had the tasting menu with wonderful wine pairings that paired exquisitely with the food. And the food!!! Sublime! These dishes are not for the faint of heart--creative, highly flavorful and wonderfully presented, this was one of the most memorable dining experiences my partner and I have had (and we have dined in many Michelin starred and Zagat 27+ restaurants in both the US and Europe). I'o is a must visit stop on Maui!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations SurpassedRegularVisitorToDKVIPDined on 8/2/2013Having eaten at I'O's sister restaurant Pacific"O earlier in the week, we were anticipating solid menu offerings and well-prepared presentations. On most counts, we were very pleased. The I'O crab cake, and the S&M (scallops & mushrooms) apps were outstanding. The Crabby Catch entree and the Rainbow Catch entree were both unique and excellent. And the cheesecake dessert was nothing short of wonderful. The only drawback were the martinis; and we tried three of them. They lacked spark and originality. Go with the wine! Overall, a terrific dining experience.Special Features:
- Superb...as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2013We visit every few years and we always save this for our final evening in Lahaina. The food is always amazing with skilled service. Fresh exciting food, locally grown...this is the real thing...you should pass on all those tourist traps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2013Delectable preparation Flavorful Amazing views Right next to pacific o - sister restaurant - but distinct menus Well worth the drive from anywhere on the island There is a luau next door - but it's a different company and other than some background music it won't bother youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been really greatMGLADined on 7/4/2013The food was very-very good, albeit not as spectacular as it's built up to be. We're there for the 4th of July, and intentionally made an early reservation, so we could finish dinner before fireworks. But, it took almost 1.5 hours for them to bring the order (only 2 adult entrees and 1 kid's), even though the restaurant was not 100% full. That was dissappointing and exhausting to keep the kids contained; still it didn't ruin the experience. A huge plus was a decent kids menu, not the typical junk. The cocktails were good, but again, nothing spectacular. The staff appears to have different levels of "friendliness", slightly on the snobbish side, as one would expect in a place, which builds itself as something different. Overall, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amaizng fresh cuisineParisjetamineVIPDined on 7/3/2013I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua, approx. 15 miles from the restaurant. The hotel recommended this restaurant, they also own Pacific O, the sister restaurant was sold out that evening. But I'O didn't disappoint. I was so impressed w/I'O restaurant, the seafood was so fresh, light and flavorful. Everything about this dining hot spot was worth the time and effort to get to. The fish was so flaky, moist and light and the sauce complemented the dish so well. We had scallops, ahi tuna and a special Hawaiian fish, all very impressive. Also, the vegetable dishes came from their own farm, so the concept of "farm to table" was very fitting and gourmet. I will be back the next time I'm back in Maui.Special Features:
- Food was good and the ingredientsbcp1306VIPDined on 6/4/2013Food was good and the ingredients were great, but there is too much going on the plate.Special Features:
- Local flavor Bistro styleOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/3/2013We enjoyed this restaurant for its unique combination bistro style and local ingredients. It was a home run for us. met our expectations while have a great view and a very friendly staff. We will definitely be back the next time we are on MauiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experiencetunkiemoDined on 5/25/2013We were thrilled with our dinner at I'o. The menu was innovative, with options for different types of foods -- chilled greens, hot greens, risotto, protein -- for mix-and-match dinners. Full entrees also available. Service was attentive and helpful. I would recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2013Good was excellent - we loved the fresh caught suggestions and crab cake appetizers. Drinks were good and very potent. Server was knowledgeable and accessible. Only Complaint was music from the bar was too loud and inappropriate for the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and uniquemauilifeVIPDined on 5/21/2013It was refreshing to eat somewhere in Lahaina that was a little more quiet and secluded. If you enjoy wine, they have an extensive wine list. The food is all farm fresh, and you can really tell with the amazing flavors in their foods. I had the fresh catch with the lobster butter sauce. The fish was cooked to perfection, and almost melted in my mouth with the lobster butter sauce. The outdoor seating is nice, but I think the indoor dining gives a slightly better ambiance and view. Either way, you can't go wrong. This is definitely one of my top 3 favorite restaurants on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our favorites on MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2013The wife and I spent a week in Maui and since this was our first time on the island we checked out all of the touristy places. The night before we went to I'O, we went to Mama's Fish House because it was so highly recommended. Not that we were disappointed with Mama's, I would have rather spent the money at I'O. The food at I'O was better and I think the ambience was better as well. Don't get me wrong, Mama's has an awesome view but there were just so many people and the food was just not worth the prices they were charging. I'll take I'O over Mama's any day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'O is an interesting spotJcatVIPDined on 4/14/2013I'O is an interesting spot just outside the hustle and bustle of downtown lahaina. Great outdoor seating with the added bonus of a luau next door for entertainment. The service was attentive and consistent throughout the meal. The menu was different from other restaurants which was refreshing. The trio allows you to taste a little of everything that I'O has to offer, and the unique risottos were good. No dessert this evening as gelato awaited in town.Special Features:
- Beautiful ViewPinkbirdVIPDined on 4/3/2013The view can't be beat. Sunset and swaying palms under a clear sky. Food was very good and produce is fresh and well-prepared. Don't miss the mushroom risotto or the scallop entree. Skip the lamb chops. Friendly service, but not very attentive. We ordered the risotto as a shared first course. Runner Dropped off a bowl at our table with no spoon or plates to share and couldn't flag waitress to get assistance. Nobody checked back with us after entrees delivered by the runner until we were finished eating. Looked like our waitress had 6 or 7 tables.Special Features:
- I'O too good to miss.BobbyDined on 4/3/2013A beautiful beach front location, fantastic service, excellent cuisine. Four of us tried the tasting menu with wine pairings, and my teenage daughter ordered a la carte. The pace of dinner was perfect and each course built wonderfully on the last. The serving size was refreshingly un-american sized (although still too big for us). The servers are experienced, proficient, educated, and expert. This restaurant has been following the farm to table philosophy for many years and has it nailed. Our third visit and not our last!Special Features:
- For the price, I'O wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/27/2013For the price, I'O wasn't that great. The food wasn't properly seasoned, nor was it prepared in interesting ways. We were disappointed.
- Disappointed.GrampaMikeDined on 3/26/2013Service was spotty. Salad was good. Entree was a major disappointment. Dessert and coffee too expensive.Special Features:
- great jointMontereyBayJenVIPDined on 3/17/2013Great farm to table restaurant in a great location.Special Features:
- Food was just ok, but veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/6/2013Food was just ok, but very expensive and took almost 2 hrs to get our main course. Server and setting was nice.
- One of Maui's top 5 dining spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/25/2013This was our second visit to I'O and just as enjoyable if not more so. The menu, presentation. service, wine selection were all outstanding. One menu feature that was very appealing- in addition to standard menu, there was a special page that listed proteins and sides separately. Instead of asking the server to substitute a side, one can just create their own plate with a wonderful choice of fresh from the garden veggies and beautifully prepared catches of the day.Special Features:
- Food was prepared and presentedGeoBwellDined on 2/19/2013Food was prepared and presented beautifully. Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Can't say enough about thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/16/2013Can't say enough about this restaurant. Starting with unique cocktails to the delicious, fresh food and great wait staff--we just can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Very good food. Never disapoints.VinnieVIPDined on 2/12/2013Very good food. Never disapoints. We will be back next year.Special Features:
- Very nice meal, lovely view,ovishunterDined on 2/11/2013Very nice meal, lovely view, would return if in Maui again. Recommend highly!Special Features:
- We dined here on SuperbowlRikasmomVIPDined on 2/3/2013We dined here on Superbowl Sunday after the game was over. It was pretty quiet. We had a choice of indoors or outdoors. We ate outside. Great server. Just the right amount of attentiveness. We also enjoyed discussing food with her. I had the "rainbow catch" at the recommedation of our server. It was outstanding. We shared the Oyster Bruschetta for an appitizer. Again outstanding. While we enjoyed our desert, Key Lime Pie, the entrees and appitizers stole the show. Would absolutely recommend to friends and return should we visit Maui again.Special Features:
- Great food, nice location/serviceLeoGDined on 1/31/2013A great restaurant with top-notch food quality. The fish and sauces were amazing, and many products come from their own farm, including greens and even tea. It is also notable that one can order fish and side dishes separately, to get the best combination. A very pleasant experience and perfect, friendly service. The restaurant has a nice outdoor terrace with a view of the ocean. One thing to take into account is that there is a Luau place next to it, and its entrance is between this restaurant's veranda and the ocean. So there is a lot of entertainment/noise one hears anyway. Some purists might find a certain discrepancy between the cuisine and ambient soundstage :-). Personally, we didn't have much trouble with that...Special Features:
- Absolutely loved the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013Absolutely loved the food. I also really appreciate the freshness of the locally sourced ingredients.Special Features:
- Had a delightful meal here.jamwilsonVIPDined on 1/26/2013Had a delightful meal here. The service was outstanding. We had Jenna as our waitress & she was the right amount of friendly & helpful; we enjoyed her service. The risottos are very tasty & large portions, can be shared for sure unless that is all you are having. We ordered them along with the fresh fish preparation, which was excellent. The goat cheese fondue is amazing. We also had the Kula potatoes & beets as side dishes & both were very good, would order them again. The setting is beautiful & the sound of the waves is very relaxing. A wonderful experience.Special Features: