New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.indusvalleyny.com/
- Phone: 2122229222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant
A word from Indus Valley
This elegantly attired restaurant, named after one of the oldest civilizations in the world, offers a menu that features many classic dishes from the Indian subcontinent like an assortment of kebabs, curries and biryanisslow cooked rice dishes which feature vegetables or meat and many aromatic spices. However, the menu at Indus Valley also has some unusual offerings like chicken chat and chicken samosas, which do not normally feature on menus of Indian restaurants. Also, instead of the weekend buffet which is considered to be de rigueur at an Indian eatery, Indus Valley offers a 'lunch special' which can be had in various permutations and combinations at different prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Indus Valley reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/23/2014My niece requested that we eat here on her visit from Illinois. So hlad she did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best indian on the UWS!LisalooDined on 10/21/2014the food here is always fresh and interesting with vibrant clean flavors..no "mush" like in many indian restaurants. They are also very accommodating for specific food requests and limiting garlic, spice etc. great homemade lime drink, reasonable wines that pair up with fragrant food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cut aboveDisappointedVIPDined on 8/31/2014Everything was so delicious. I took out of town company who requested Indian and they were suitably impressed. The cauliflower appetizer is not to be missed!Special Features:
- ExcellentFoodsterVIPDined on 8/31/2014Indus Valley is a gem on the Upper West Side. The menu is deep, the preparations are excellent as is the attentive service. It's comfortable and accommodating. They deserve their reputation as the best Indian restaurant on the UWS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 114 reviews are from the Indus Valley reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/1/2014Very disappointed in the service. Waiter kept pushing us to order more and more. Very unpleasant experience. Food was good. But sitting there was uncomfortable.
- Met a friend for dinner &goodvaluegreatviewsDined on 12/6/2012Met a friend for dinner & we were warmly greeted by the staff. I suddenly realized that the restaurant had filled up, every talbe was taken, yet it was pleasantly quiet enough to easily have a conversation! We both had soup, one cream of spinach, one mulligatawny, both delicious! We each had chicken tikka masala & nan bread--wonderful. We shared the kasari malai kheer for dessert. It was a lovely dinner, great service, comfortable atmosphere & we agreed we'd both return, maybe fo the buffet lunch!Special Features:
- We were enjoying a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/24/2012We were enjoying a lovely meal at Indus Valley as the restaurant got packed. As soon as we ordered dessert, we were asked to switch tables to accommodate a larger group. We were then ignored. Honestly, it ruined the meal and it is unlikely that we will return. They didn't even comp us dessert or coffee or a glass of wine - nothing to say thanks for re-locating. It really left a bad taste in our mouths - no pun intended.
- I usually love Indus valley.UpperWestSiderVIPDined on 10/19/2012I usually love Indus valley. Mostly everything is excellent, except the fish dish was mediocre.Special Features:
- Decent place but you are beingHSG4fdVIPDined on 10/19/2012Decent place but you are being rushed through your meal at all times.
- Better Indian restaurants aboundNYCGourmandVIPDined on 10/14/2012Having a parent from India and growing up in New York with "home cooking" of that quality leads you to believe that going out to a Indian restaurant will be something special and offer even better cooking. Indus just doesn't make the cut. I read a lot of reviews about Indus that are seemingly positive but the food is not up to Tamarind, Devi or Junoon standards of excellence. Even the buffet lunches at Utsav, Sapphire and Chola are better versions of Indian cuisine than what Indus serves up. It would be easy enough for Indus cooks and/or managers and owners to sample what the rest of the city's Indian restaurants are preparing and observe and taste the difference for themselves. The false praise makes one wonder what diners really know
- during our appetizer we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/29/2012during our appetizer we were asked to move to a different table so they could push two tables together to accomodate a larger party. We did, they sat us at a table for 4 and then they seated a party of ofur at our formeer table - didn't make sense. Not sure what they were trying to do and they should have comped us for our inconvenience - won't be back
- There is a very kind serviceSalliVIPDined on 9/20/2012There is a very kind service staff. I went in with a broken ankle, on crutches. They saw me at the door, and anticipated every need, opening the door, arranging the seating etc. I already knew the food was delicious and a bit different than other run of the mill menus, but the feeling of being welcomed was beyond just being polite. Thank you.Special Features:
- In a sea of Indian restaurants,MikeyKDined on 8/18/2012In a sea of Indian restaurants, Indus Valley continues to deliver the best food.Special Features:
- I've lived in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2012I've lived in the neighborhood for almost 4 years and this used to be one of my favorites but the last two times have been disappointing. I ordered the lamb vindaloo and the meat was quite chewy and tough - not tasty and not tender. Also, I always order vindaloo because I like spice and can handle spice - it wasn't spicy in the least. I even told the waitress that I like it spicy and it was as if she told the kitchen the opposite. My cousin had the chicken tikka masala and enjoyed her dish so maybe it was just mine. I had ordered delivery a few months back and it was also disappointing - not sure what has happened to the place or if I have just been unlucky, but the food used to be fantastic and consistent.Special Features:
- Went here on a casual dateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2012Went here on a casual date with the boyf and it ended up being one of the best places we've been in the area.Special Features:
- Consistently terrific IndianADNYCDined on 7/23/2012Consistently terrific Indian food, and flavorful not simply spicy. Staff is friendly and attentive but never makes you feel rushed.Special Features:
- VindaWowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2012Service was great, though our waiter was quite serious-faced. They agreed to make my lamb vindaloo extra spicy and it was absolutely delicious- some of the best I've ever had. My friend's Tikka Masala, for a staple dish, was much better than expected. It's a nice restaurant for quality Indian food on the UWS and would work well for a date night dinner or a casual tasty meal.Special Features:
- Indus offers good Indian foodSunchicDined on 7/7/2012Indus offers good Indian food with stuffy, but attentive service. ThHere's definitely no ambiance and the lighting/decor leaves much to be desired.... but if you're going for good food, then this place is worth dining at.
- Really good Indian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2012Really good Indian food. The shrimp appetizer is wonderful. The dals are tasty.Special Features:
- This is a favorite place inOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2012This is a favorite place in the neighborhood and one of the best Indian food restaraunts in the city. Enjoy often.
- The food was quite good.LJGVVIPDined on 6/13/2012The food was quite good. Presentation was nice. Service was attentive and efficient. We would certainly go to Indus Valley again.Special Features:
- We are regulars at this IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2012We are regulars at this Indian restaurant and have come to really enjoy the ambiance and food offered here. However, they are inconsistent w/how the food is prepared. We expect chicken vindaloo to come spicy when asked, and they usually accommodate, however, this time around the dish came very bland. Spice is a very important aspect of our meal, especially w/certain Indian dishes.Special Features:
- Great Indian restaurant on the UWS.rbwriterDined on 5/25/2012We completely enjoyed our dinner at Indus Valley. The menu is awesome and the food was very good. I have to send a special shout-out to our servers who were excellent!Special Features:
- Consistently excellent foodNicknameVIPDined on 5/23/2012Consistently excellent food & service. Reasonably priced as well. One of our favorites.Special Features:
- Very bad service and dry chicken.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2012Very bad service and dry chicken. For the price I expected something better.Special Features:
- Everything we ordered wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2012Everything we ordered was delicious. I am so happy that we decided to go there. I had only ordered in from them. The food in the restaurant meet my delivery expectations.Special Features:
- Nice place and food. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2012Nice place and food. The food was not exceptionnal, but it was decent. Glass front is very nice.Special Features:
- I took my friends there forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/22/2012I took my friends there for their anniversary and they fell in love with food and atmosphere. What can I say but love it!!!Special Features:
- Delicious Indian lunch; notManhattanPatriciaVIPDined on 4/11/2012Delicious Indian lunch; not only enjoyed by me but by two English friends who dine in Indian restaurants regularly, in London. Thumbs up for Indus Valley!!!Special Features:
- Good neighborhood Indian -OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/1/2012Good neighborhood Indian - always a pleasant experience. Though I think the prices are rising...Special Features:
- The service was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2012The service was outstanding, and most of the food was delicious. The one notable exception was the tomato sauce loaded on the cauliflower appetizer, and again on the Lamb Sagwala. The tomato sauce was a thick, gooey sweet tomato paste, and was not good. The lamb was a little tough and a little hard to chew. However, the rest of our meals were excellent, and the service was extremely helpful and courteous. The restaurant closes at 10:30, which is a little early, especially by NYC standards.Special Features:
- Casual, comfortable and clean.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/17/2012Casual, comfortable and clean. Polite staff made a stellar appetizer recommendation when they recognized we were sampling and sharing various items from the menu. Most important: the meal was delicious -- one of those rare occasions where you're actually glad there are leftovers to take home.Special Features:
- Small portions of averageOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/13/2012Small portions of average food. Not the most flavorful Indian I had.Special Features:
- DeliciousShainaMDined on 3/3/2012Once again, packed with locals, and although we had a reservation, there was a bit of a wait. AND... once again, the service and food were wonderful!!!Special Features:
- Reliable Indian cuisineWildcatDined on 2/24/2012I've eaten at Indus Valley (and its now shuttered sister, Earthen Oven) a number of times prior to this visit. When my daughter asked for Indian food to celebrate her birthday with family, we decided on Indus Valley. Why? The food is reliable, and the ambiance and service quite good. We ordered a number of appetizers (samosas, shrimp, cauliflower, salads) and breads (nan and puri), and all disappeared quickly. Our waiter was very helpful in selecting our entrees and accommodating our spiciness preferences. Our reservation for ten included two small children, and the table was ready for us upon arrival. All in all, it was a very satisfying meal!Special Features:
- Cheryl FOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2012I always ask for recommendations which helps me try new dishes. I sm always so happy and leave with a happy experience having had a great meal and wonderful experience.Special Features:
- The best Indian restaurantUWSProfVIPDined on 2/11/2012The best Indian restaurant on the Upper West Side. Really good food, a diverse menu and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Reliably excellent food andLaneyVIPDined on 2/10/2012Reliably excellent food and service. We love this restaurant!!Special Features:
- We have been eating here quiteNicknameVIPDined on 2/9/2012We have been eating here quite a lot lately & the food has been consistently good. Excellent salads, crisp cracker & dips served with dinner, tandoori anything - all great!Special Features:
- great Indian and waiter didsummitfaysDined on 2/7/2012great Indian and waiter did a very good job with recommendationsSpecial Features: