Indulge French Bistro by William Wahl
4140 W 38th Ave
Denver, CO 80212Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Indulge French Bistro by William Wahl
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.indulgefrenchbistro.com/
- Phone: 3034337400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: William Wahl
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-site catering for Banquets and Private parties require a 15 days notice with 20% down payment. Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Reservation is available for Banquets and Private parties Please call us to make your reservations.
- Private Party Contact: William Wahl 3034337400
- Entertainment: Happy Hour:Tuesday - Thursday 5:00-6:00pm
A word from Indulge French Bistro by William Wahl
Establishing our self as the Best French Restaurant and Best New Restaurant within our 1st year, we continue to thrive in exclusive Authentic French Cuisine. This house is 100% French!, from our wine list to a warm welcome from Stephanie to a global French Cuisine. We welcome you to Indulge... According to Gabby Gourmet, Denver Restaurant Guide, William & Stephanie bring knockout French Bistro Food & Service to Denver. Truly a find, it prove that denver does have food & chefs that match the top in the country. According to Jason Sheehan, food critic for The Westword, Indulge French Bistro is a magical place which subsists on a sort of rich inner life, a passion that flows outward from the kitchen, through the bar, to suffuse the dining room with the sense that everything is going to be all right. Come experience the French Bistro atmosphere with good food and an inspired Wine List or just relax at the stylish and elegant bar and enjoy a glass of French wine by the glass or bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Indulge French Bistro by William Wahl reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since March 25 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (4)romantic (4)neighborhood gem (4)special occasion (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Nice option in the neighborhoodMDCODined on 5/17/2014We've wanted to try this spot for a bit and finally got around to it last weekend. Host and waiter were very nice and the pace of service was very relaxed if not a bit slow at times (drink order and in between courses) but I prefer that to feeling rushed. This could be a great restaurant with a few tweaks: a deep cleaning (windows and blinds were very dirty/dusty) brightening (felt very dark and sombre) to improve the atmosphere and just a few updates to the menu for a more seasonal feel. Overall the restaurant fees a bit tired and looks outdated. The food was good to very good. I would go back but maybe sit at the bar. This would be a completely different place with some refreshing.Special Features:
- Best food in ColoradoGaryVIPDined on 5/10/2014This place is amazing! Each course is exquisite. The owners (from France) are incredibly friendly. You will be impressed with the quality and taste of the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/29/2014The restaurant was very quiet because there were only 3 tables of guests. The vent from the kitchen seemed to be directing a grease smell into the dining room. My clothes smelled like grease even the next morning. Service was very slow- especially waiting 20 minutes for dessert. Food when we got it was excellent however. Restaurant is dark, dated- could use an overhaul. Went with friends we are meeting in Paris which is why the restaurant was selected.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not in a central arealuvrockymtsVIPDined on 4/19/2014The French food was really good. The restaurant itself has an old feeling. The place needs to be updated and redecorated. For the area and the feel of the restaurant, the prices could have been a little lower. The food, however, was done well.
- A perennial favoritepjfreitagDined on 4/5/2014We come back to Indulge French Bistro again and again. Mme. Wahl, Stephanie, manages the front of the house and trains her servers well. They are friendly, knowledgable and attentive but never overbearing. She visits with the clientele to make certain they are pleased. M. Wahl, William, is a talented chef. Our meals are always prepared with care and beautifully presented. My wife comes back for the salmon each time; I try to have something new at each visit and am never disappointed. Wines are carefully selected and reasonably priced. In all, it's a pleasure to dine here and we have often brought friends and family to join us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has changedBeverleyVIPDined on 3/29/2014We came back to Indulge as a birthday celebration for my daughter after not having visited for a year. They had changed the preparation of some items and the tenderloin was tiny and overcooked. The chocolate cake, which used to be a warm cake cake with a scoop of mango sorbet on top, is now a pile of chocolate batter with a tablespoon sized shot glass of sorbet. The salmon used to have melted leeks, but they are barely cooked now. Disappointing, as our bill came to about $400 for six people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 647 reviews are from the Indulge French Bistro by William Wahl reviews archive.
- Hidden GemGoodyVIPDined on 3/22/2014We just visited Indulge for the third time and it continues to impress us. This is the best (and only?) authentic french bistro in Denver. It's in an out-of-the-way location on 38th Street in the Highlands but it is worth the visit.Special Features:
- Aggressive ChefMarshallDined on 3/20/2014Celebrating wife's dinner that took a downturn when we returned the crab-based appetizer due to "unfresh" characteristics of the crab. She grew up eating fresh seafood and knows it when she sees it. It wouldn't have been a big deal for the rest of the meal but the chef came to the table explaining he had tried the dish, and he assured her it was fresh. But he kept hounding us about it and was also insistent that she try another appetizer. She did, didn't necessarily like it but eat some anyway. My entree was fine. Unfortunately, the chef's aggressiveness clouded the remainder of the meal and we quickly vamoosed when done. They did not remove the crab appetizer from the ticket btw. A birthday we won't soon forget, for all the wrong reasons!
- Favorite Neighborhood SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/19/2014Indulge French Bistro is my favorite dinner spot in the Highlands. The food is wonderful (my mouth is watering now just thinking about it), the service is tops and there is a parking lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good French Fare w/o the PretenseColoCaneVIPDined on 3/6/2014Remember when restaurants were small and family run, not chains or grand halls? Well this harks to those days. Fine food in a intimate setting where staff and chef are happy to chat. Food is very well prepared. Escargot and pate to begin were great. Mussels in Provencale and Normande sauces were wonderful. For dessert, creme brulee was okay (not glazed enough) and apple tart was devine. Clearly a homemade crust. Wine list not extensive but good. Waiter was professional and cordial. Only one waiter on staff, so a little slow, but enjoyable. Not the place if you're in a rush. Leisurely pace, enjoy it! The location is small, decor is basic, but lends itself to a laidback, enjoyable evening. Not pretentious. Comfortable. Worth the drive over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish listYummytummyDined on 2/28/2014We found our dining experience to be somewhat disappointing unfortunately. Notably, the offered selection for the entree that we chose was the chicken. It was okay but it definitely lacked that "wow" factor. Perhaps the samon entree would have been a better choice. Our past experiences with restaurant week have always been positive due to the foods that are being offered having really superb flavours. Sadly, this is one restaurant we won't be returning to. On the positive side, the desserts were excellent and the service was very pleasant and attentive.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week ReviewIowagirlDined on 2/28/2014First time here and had a great experience. Wonderful restaurant with a nice variety of food options. Can be a fun night and a romantic evening. We never felt rushed. Small intimate dining but did not feel crowded. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!EatwellDined on 2/27/2014This is our 5th time to this restaurant since we found it a year ago. We always come with friends and everyone is so impressed, they have returned on their own. Our friends this time, excellent cooks themselves, were so impressed they plan on making reservations next week. If you love great food, nice presentation, small restaurants - this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent, butHobbystaDined on 2/25/2014The food was excellent, but the portions small. The wine list was decent, but majority of wines were of recent vintage (2010, 2011) and quite pricey. Overall experience positive. Nice, quiet ambience. It is a good place for a special occasion dinner, but too pricey for a casual French bistro type dinner. Expect to spend $60-75 per person (food, wine and tip). I would rate this restaurant in 4-4.5 stars range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close but no cigarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/24/2014My friend and I dined at Indulge during 5280 week and were disappointed. The service was slow and the good mediocre. We both had the coq au vin and it was very bland and strangely served over elbow noodles. The best thing about our meal was the fresh hot rolls.Special Features:
- We didn't over-IndulgeMoesha8eDined on 2/24/2014Indulge has the potential for a romantic, easy going dinner. This wasn't our experience during restaurant week. We were crammed into the corner by the bathroom (hardly enough room for us to get in and out of our table) and it was extremely dark (could barely read the menu). The service got off to a very slow start (bread took an hour), and the server began the meal by telling us how busy he was. That being said, the food was pretty good, offering a well rounded tasting of french dishes. We enjoyed the salmon tartare, escargots, the tenderloin & Coq au Vin. The duckling was disappointing. The breast was well done (not med rare) & the maple-mustard sauce was overly sweet. Wine selection was affordable & tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It took 21/2 hours to haveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2014It took 21/2 hours to have dinner. The food was good for 5280 week but it took So much time to get water/menus and between courses that it was miserable. The tables are so close together that you are bumping into people And we were seat up aghast a wall and litterally had to lean on the wall While we ate. Cost waaaaaaay to much even at restuarn Week prices to be enjoyable!!!!
- French RomanceAGonDined on 2/23/2014The size of this gem makes it a perfect spot for a romantic outing. Between the mussels, duck, and wonderful wine, we were thoroughly impressed with Indulge. Do yourself a favor and at least go explore the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was very slowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2014The service was very slow and the food was not impressive. Thought they would try harder during restaurant week
- A gourmet delightbill9687Dined on 2/23/2014The food is always outstanding. Small and intimate atmosphere. The staff is well informed, cooperative and attentive. We love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service...MichDined on 2/23/2014Dinner was beautifully presented, the service was excellent and the food tasted authentically French. Stephanie and the rest of the staff were very accomodating. Merci beaucoup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceIndulgeMyCommentsDined on 2/23/2014The food was excellant, when we finally got served. One hour after our arrival, the waiter informed us that they had lost our order. We were finally provided with some of their bread (very good by the way). Approximately 30 minutes after that the waiter informed us that the order was misplaced again. Thank goodness the wine was very good. They did comp me another glass however.
- Enjoyed the 5280 (6000) evening.FranceboundDined on 2/22/2014Enjoyed the 5280 (6000) evening. The menu was very pleasant. The restaurant was very bust, and the wait staff handled the evening. We will go back!Special Features:
- Awfulajbauer29VIPDined on 2/22/2014Food with a side of attitude. Four of us dined here on Saturday. Two ordered the acclaimed tenderloin and two of us ordered the duck. We both sent the duck back for not being cooked properly and the chef came out and scolded us. It's a small place and it was quite embarrassing and frankly completely unprofessional. The tenderloin was poor quality and drenced in an overly sweet sauce. Plates were messy. There was a hair in one of the rolls. Service was apologetic but took so slow. We definitely won't return.
- Great foodEatwellDined on 2/22/2014It is definitely French in nature. Food has great flavor. Servings are smaller than most people probably expect, unless they frequent these type of restaurants. Also servings size may have been smaller due to restaurant week and provide great food at a lower price. We first dined here restaurant week last year. The menu was more diverse than this time. All 8 of us just loved the food. We have also dined here since and came for their "mussel" night, which was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner BewareexpectedbetterDined on 2/14/2014Never would I expected this dining experience and, though I have tried it will never be forgotten. The service was so slow that other diners, fed up with the wait, were leaving early as we arrived. Wish we had done the same. At one point there was a one hour lull between courses. The entire ordeal lasted 31/2 hours. The food was no better than OK. Considering the quality of the meal, the prices are outrageous. It is doubtful that this restaurant will stay in business very long. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone wishing to have a good dining experience.
- An off Night?McroyDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentine's dinner. We had reservations at 8:30pm, and had to wait about 15 minutes for our table. That's okay, but while we were sitting at the bar we could hear the server behind the bar complaining that they didn't have a bartender than night, I could see the line expediter arguing with one of the servers, and a customer was leaving prior to dessert because they had waited so long. When we went to our table, it took 30 minutes for our order to be taken. We each ordered a prix fixe 3 course dinner. Service took so long that we finished our bottle of wine before we received our main course. We finished our dinner 3 hours after arriving. I don't know what the issue was, the kitchen and service was in utter chaos.Special Features:
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014We were sat and not aknowledged for 15 mins. Then the waiter made a joke about how slow the kitchen was and to enjoy our drinks because dinner would be slow. That was no joke, after two hours of waiting for our meal we finally got hungry enough to leave and eat somewhere else. The other waitstaff was so snobby that they didn't even clear our finished bread plates. Our decision to leave was made after watching a table seated long after us finish their meal while we were still waiting.
- Valentine's Day DisasterKermitDined on 2/14/2014We were at the bistro from 7pm until 9pm. My party of 3 was served one round of drinks and an appetizer. We had other plans for the evening so had to leave at 9pm sharp to drive across town. I didn't really see anybody eating food..just waiting for it. Some customers were crying because their evening was ruined. At one point when we reminded our waiter that we had to leave at a specific time, he simply said, "I don't have time to deal with you right now." This was just awful.
- Good neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed our dinner here for Valentine's day and plan to dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unhappy Valentine Day nightFrenchyandBodhiDined on 2/14/2014An unhappy Valentine Day night dining experience. 3 hours. 2 1/2 hours before we were served our entrees, of which we'd already consumed our bottle of nice red wine in expectation we'd be served "any moment" according to our waiter. Kitchen was very poorly run. I'll never go back.
- Special dinner - - mostlyJimboDined on 2/14/2014At a recent dinner it appeared that the restaurant had booked more reservations than they could handle. As a result service was very slow and we never did get dessert. The food when it was served was delicious. It was very tasty and the appearance was great. Our previous experience was very good and I expect this latest incident was an anomaly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went on Valentines Day withOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2014Went on Valentines Day with my Sweetie!! Glad we had an early reservation!! 2nd seating folks sat at the Bar for quite a while!! The food was up to snuff as usual, but the service was awkward & slow. While I understand & appreciate fine dining is an event & takes time, 2 hours & 40 minutes was a little long!! Good news was it didn't affect the food which arrived Hot and Delicious!!! Our waiter took care of our Champagne which was nice. But the staff was not on their Game tonight!!Special Features:
- Our go to for a romantic nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/11/2014My wife and I love heading to Indulge for a casual romantic night out. Great food in a cozy place that makes you feel like your off a Paris side street. So thankful to have this place in our neighborhood. Small but terrific wine list put together with the abiding sense that good wine belongs on the dinner table and doesn't have to break the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- whoop so much funbdayguestDined on 2/5/2014i assume the owners were working and were so enjoyable, the food great... but the Chef came out and played with the guests such a good time!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best French RestaurantkirbyjbVIPDined on 1/29/2014Best French Restaurant in Denver. The food and service are great. They also have a good selection of wines at reasonable prices that you don't find everywhere elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything excellent as always!!!PAWWDined on 12/31/2013everything excellent as always!!! Never disappointed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnSammyDined on 12/14/2013Told to sit wherever we'd like. Chose a 4 top in the corner, and then host told us we couldn't sit there on a Saturday night and made us select a 2 top. The place never became more than 25% full. The place was understaffed even with only 25% capacity. It took 20 minutes for the drinks to be served. dinner took almost 3 hours because the place only had a single waiter. The portions, even for French and Euorpean standards, were very small. They offered a single piece of bread which was about 1.5 inches long. The lamb was 32 $ and consisted of a 2.5 ounce piece of meat. I will never return to this place.
- Good food, wrong priceMagnetarDined on 12/12/2013The food here is good but for the price you pay I expect better execution. I don't have any problems paying for well executed dishes but when you serve bistro quality and charge near fine dining prices that's when I can't recommend a restaurant. On the other hand the service from the French women was very attentive and the wine selection was fine and priced reasonably. Overall the experience was fine but for the price I can think of other restaurants to dine at.
- Excellent French RestaurantSFFredDined on 12/10/2013This is our favorite Denver restaurant. Great menu choices excellently prepared with a very nice wine list. The owners clearly care about both quality and very fine service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.