INDO Restaurant & Lounge
3295 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
INDO Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.indorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (650) 494-9184
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indonesian, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tommy Charoen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer outside catering. Please give us a call or email with the details!
- Private Party Facilities: Our semi private room can accomodate up to 35 guests. Patio is available for any large parties of up to 150. Please give us a call or email with your event details!
- Private Party Contact: Bryan Lew 6504947168x
- Entertainment: Stay tuned, we will be your nightlife destination.
- Special Events: INDO Restaurant offers private dining to create the perfect setting for your special events. Our two private rooms can accommodate 20 to 80 guests, and our patio is perfect for cocktail receptions for up to 150.
A word from INDO Restaurant & Lounge
INDO Restaurant & Lounge is conveniently located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our culinary vision is of two goals to introduce authentic Indonesian dishes lead by Indonesian native Chef DeCuisine Deanna and offer interpretations of California/French cooking methods via a collaboration between Executive Chef Tommy & Chef Deanna. Our lounge offers craft cocktails made with fresh juices and premium spirits while also showcasing a unique international wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
INDO Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
INDO Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (49)good for groups (38)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (21)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (12)romantic (11)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Great food, great serviceDougBDined on 11/16/2014I've been here a few times and have always been impressed by the food and wine. From what I have heard, the cocktails are good as well. I remember the service being very good in the past, but my server this time was exceptional. I think her name was Angie and she checked on me just enough to ensure that I had what I needed but not so much that it might have been disruptive. She helped me select an entree and made suggestions for appetizer and dessert as well. I suggest the ginger cake for dessert, although it does not need the ice cream with it -- in my opinion, at least. I will definitely be back when I am in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Noisy to ReturnNancyLDined on 11/11/2014The food was excellent and the service attentive. But the noise level was too high to go back. You shouldn't have to yell a conversation or sit in silence because it's just too hard to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little place to get out in PAHeatherAADined on 11/8/2014If you're tired of the long lines and trendy places in Palo Alto off of University Ave, consider Indo in the old Straits Cafe location on El Camino near Page Mill. The ambience is romantic and fun, the food is great and spicy, and the cocktails are delicious! Great place to meet up with friends, but speak up as the interior can get pretty loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent service this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014I've been to INDO a few times, mostly in groups where I got to taste much of the menu. This time, we had a group of 8 on a Saturday evening, and we sat in the outdoor dining area. The waiter, although nice, mixed up our food with another table at the end of the meal. When he and the bus boy were clearing our dishes, they didn't seem like they had a systematic way of recognizing which dish belong to whom. We checked. One boxs had a dish from a different table...the dish wasn't even ours! In one of the bags, there were two boxes of the braised short rib, when there should have only been one. We ordered A LOT, and we decided that we were not comfortable eating the leftovers since we just couldn't be sure that those leftovers were ours.Special Features:
- localdiner2VIPDined on 11/1/2014The food was very good, but so poorly lit it actually spoiled our dining experience. It was extremely dark - so much that you couldn't read the menu OR see the food on the table. We addressed it with our waitress saying it was uncomfortably dark, but she said "that's the way management like it". Maybe they should listen to customer feedback?Special Features:
- Great find; & extensive gluten freeAliTDined on 10/30/2014Service was great, food was lovely. The staff were really helpful with my gluten free choices, of which there was a lot of choice (which was a lovely surprise!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseKurtDined on 10/23/2014We had a business lunch in Palo Alto, and I recalled eating at the old Straits Cafe in the same location, but was disappointed to find out they had closed. Seeing that Indo was in the same spot, and that it would be more convenient for us than going into downtown Palo Alto, I decided to book it for the location, and take a chance on the food. The food was fabulous! We ordered three dishes to share, plus two appetizers, and everyone loved the food. The service was attentive without being a distraction, and sitting outdoors was perfect on a California autumn afternoon. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- music was too loudAsianFoodsLoverDined on 10/18/2014music was terribly loud, I could barely hear my friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014Wonderful shifts in Indonesian/Malaysian flavor profiles. Loved the stir fried Tofu (listed under vegetables but there were no vegetables in it?) Just the right amount of spice. The Osso Bucco Rendang was terrific. The Lumpia were not particularly interesting, filling rather bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!GoodFoodieDined on 10/1/2014The food was very delicious! Indonesian food is a unique cuisine that this place has done an exceptional job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!TetnRobDined on 9/28/2014Good food, nice wine, good service! Good place to go for a night out with friends!Special Features:
- Great Indonesian restaurantIndoDined on 9/17/2014It's hard to find a great Indonesian restaurant, specially if you have been spoiled by a talented Indonesian mom. Happy to have found one in Palo Alto with great flavors. Well done. Missed the option of Indonesian food "tapas style" though, where you get to taste a multitute of dishes in small portions and for everyone to share. Loved the modern feel of their ambiance and the option of the patio. Probably will opt for the patio next time, as the inside noise level was very energetic. In a positive way, but we had to raise our voices to be able to hear each other at the table. All and all a very pleasant experience and will return with friends to share my Indonesian heritage for sure. So thank you.Special Features:
- Great food, nice ambianceBarronParklocaleDined on 9/12/2014Seafood was marvelous - sea bass was delicate and flavorful, the shrimp were large and plumb and tasty, and both dishes served with flavorful sauces that complimented but did not overwhelm the natural flavors of the foods. I thought the chicken curry was delicious also, with plump and tender chicken in a yellow curry sauce, though my wife was not overwhelmed. All the plates are served family style. The jalepeno laced cilantro margarita is not to be missed - really unique and very pleasant. The bar scene was loud and lively, as was the outdoor dining area where a party was underway but we were seated at a table close to the patio and far enough from the noise to have enjoyed the dinner.Special Features:
- Great Asian Fusion foodmenloparkfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Great for dining outside. Pretty noisy inside. Delicious appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendlyDerngangDined on 8/29/2014We celebrated our daughters' birthdays in an elegant, friendly atmosphere, with good food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoriMDined on 8/24/2014Great food. We loved it when it was Straits and the menu is almost identical. Refreshing cocktails on the menu that compliment the flavors of the food. I was disappointed at the lack of upkeep. Everything needs a refresh - from the bathrooms to the patio ceiling. The service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Hard to find but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014We've been coming to Indo since it was named Straits for 10 years. They have a head start because Singaporian food is so good anyway, and they execute it so well. It's hard to find a dish that isn't really good here. Try the Roti for which they are known, it's hot and tender like a fresh-baked croissant. The appetizer sampler is fantastic for 2 people and a bargain at $12. Lamb Korma so tender it just falls off the bone. They have both indoor and outdoor seating - the indoor is more romantic, the outdoor is pleasant but could use a little dressing up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Indonesian Food, Exc serviceMitchellZDined on 8/8/2014Our first time to INDO, even though it's been in the neighborhood for some time. The music was ferociously loud, but we sat outside at a far corner, and that was fine. We're vegetarians, and there was a good selection of Indonesian, southeast Asian food. Everything we ordered was excellent, really good, and the service was friendly, careful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rvloves2eatDined on 8/5/2014We went to this place for a dinner. The menu has very simple south asian items but for an extravagant prices. Food quality is good.Special Features:
- A good dining experienceReneeSVIPDined on 8/2/2014We enjoyed our meal at Indo. The food was good but not outstanding. At a previous meal every dish was exciting, full of flavor and distinct. This time we seem to have chosen dishes that were not as dynamic as that time. It was a bit disappointing, but I think maybe our last meal was so great, it might have been difficult to match it. For example we had the ginger salad and this time there was not as much dressing--the salad was still good, but the dressing really made it outstanding last time. We've had good experiences at Indo and think it is worth a visit to enjoy well-prepared Asian cuisine in a comfortable setting with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice outdoor spaceChuckVIPDined on 8/1/2014Inside was very loud when we walked in, apparently because they have a popular happy hour in the bar, but the outdoor space was large and very pleasant. Interesting range of Indonesian food. Good, friendly service.Special Features:
- A great dining experienceReneeSVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Indo. The food was great, the service was excellent, and we can hardly wait to return. We started with the mussels, the sauce was so good, we were sorry not to have bread or something to sop it up. We followed the mussels with the ginger salad--it was fresh and exciting! We loved very bite. The rest of the meal was as exciting as the beginning: short ribs, garlic noodles, snap peas. Each dish was distinct in its flavors, and wonderfully prepared. The meal excited our taste buds, comforted our stomachs, and pleased us in every possible way. We definitely enjoyed our meal and can hardly wait to come back and experience more dishes from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun fusionOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant offered a fun fusion menu. There were a few mishaps with our meal - one of the drinks was not what we ordered and we also got a dessert that we did not order (they were out of the one we ordered but didn't tell us and instead brought something different). The restaurant is very large and the staff was friendly. We weren't wowed by the food - the options were interesting and the food was good but not amazing. We had the sampler appetizer and liked some of the components but not all. It was a nice night and we enjoyed eating outside.Special Features:
- The following 456 reviews are from the INDO Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- Awesome food as always...THarrisVIPDined on 7/22/2014The salmon and roti prata are RIDICULOUSLY good! Outdoor patio seating is excellent for lunch. Service is wonderful too, although the explanation of the lunch special vs the regular menu (and the waiter's recommendation of the sea bass, which did not come as a lunch special), was not appreciated and left something be desired... Great lunch spot. Need to work on presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find in Palo Alto!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/16/2014I must say that I was very happy with the food and the service I was provided with your my birthday celebration. I recommend to visit this restaurant, especially for dinner at the outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Solid, not spectaculartacosanDined on 7/11/2014Interesting mix of Thai, Malay, Indonesian dishes, translated for a SF/Bay palate. Some of the real punchy, poppy Flavors get lost in translation, but solid food overall. Service, ambience, etc all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Into IndoArchitectDined on 6/29/2014We're definitely into Indo. The duck kapitan and lobster padthai had rich flavors that we especially loved. The crab fried rice and chicken rendang were very good, if less impressive. The fired calamari and snap peas were good, but paled in comparison to the other dishes. The dining room has a modern Asian feel, upscale, but comfortable. The trellised outdoor area looked inviting on a 90 degree day. Overall a great experience for our family of 5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2014There were many different kinds of diners - families with children, couples, groups without kids. Food was excellent (meat was a little salty for our tastes but we generally prefer low-sodium foods and to be fair, we didn't ask our food to be prepared low-sodium). Lovely outdoor seating, by the time we left the outdoor seating area was full but it never felt loud. Water is refilled without asking. Gracious service, we didn't feel at all rushed. And our kids ate happily, which is a big plus. We enjoyed everything we ordered. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMarrunner06Dined on 6/20/2014Not sure it it's under new management, but this restaurant used to be much better. The service was nice but forgetful of our requests. The food was definitely blah and the drinks were a disappointment - mine cost $10 and I drank a few sips and did not finish the rest.i don't think we'll be coming back.Special Features:
- Awesome!VishDined on 6/20/2014Great server, awesome attitude and great recommendation. Highly recommend. Awesome food.Special Features:
- Very AttentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014The food was good. I only had one dish that I would run back for, and it was the Tuna Tatar. They staff was very attentive to the table maybe too much. I attribute this to it being a Tuesday evening and there not being much foot traffic. However, I do hear they have a great happy hour.Special Features:
- Local FavoriteKarenDined on 6/6/2014Our whole family loves this restaurant. We always order the roti, ginger salad, chicken curry, and steak to share. The service is friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Very Slow serviceFoodierachVIPDined on 5/25/2014This a cute little place for Asian food. They had good variety of food ranging from Thai, Malaysian and Indonesian. The service was very slow and they mixed up our food orders. The server came back twice to let know that they did not have the food we were ordering from the menu. The food tasted good nothing exceptional but above average. Good place for groups and easy on the wallets too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2014We had reservations for lunch 11:30 for a party of 11 and got there right on time. Aside from a couple, we were the only people in the restaurant at that time. We placed our order about 10 minutes after that and didn't get our food until 12:40 which seems way too long. By 12:30 we talked to the manager because the room had filled up with people and most people were eating by 12:15 and we still had not received our food. Then at 12:40 half the table received their food and another 10 minutes later the other half received their food. Since we had to be back to work 1:00 we had to get to go plates. The food was great, but the service we terrible. The manager did come and apologize.Special Features:
- A neighborhood gem indeedfoodaholicDined on 5/16/2014Fabulous food & service. Friendly staff. Parking may be difficult, the back lot is usually full. Street parking available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honest FoodChrisSwissDined on 5/6/2014The Good was great as the service. Everythong was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but LOUDharpoVIPDined on 4/26/2014Delicious, wonderful food and good, attentive service, but so loud we had trouble talking at our table.Special Features:
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/26/2014We were surprised with the food; mango salad was bland, as well as the noodle dish. We asked to have more veggies in lieu of the crab. It was shocking when the bill came and they charged us extra for the veggies.
- I'll be back!DougBDined on 4/22/2014I have been to Indo a few times for lunch and dinner, and I have had drinks at the bar. The portions are reasonable, the food is consistently excellent, and the menu seems to have something for everyone. The servers are attentive and they can accommodate groups if you make a reservation. The place can get pretty crowded, and the parking can be tight during peak times, so you should plan ahead.Special Features:
- Great for business lunchesSCDMFDined on 4/16/2014I have been here twice for business lunches both inside and on the covered outdoor patio. The fountain is a lovely backdrop to the conversation. It is always barely filled which is surprising since the location on El Camino in Palo Alto is close to many businesses. But it seems out of the way. Nice environment. The food is quite good and it is easy to get into and out of despite the EL Camino location. Try it for lunch.Special Features: