INDO Restaurant & Lounge
3295 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
INDO Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.indorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 650-494-9184x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indonesian, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tommy Charoen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer outside catering. Please give us a call or email with the details!
- Private Party Facilities: Our semi private room can accomodate up to 35 guests. Patio is available for any large parties of up to 150. Please give us a call or email with your event details!
- Private Party Contact: Bryan Lew 6504947168x
- Entertainment: Stay tuned, we will be your nightlife destination.
- Special Events: INDO Restaurant offers private dining to create the perfect setting for your special events. Our two private rooms can accommodate 20 to 80 guests, and our patio is perfect for cocktail receptions for up to 150.
A word from INDO Restaurant & Lounge
INDO Restaurant & Lounge is conveniently located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our culinary vision is of two goals to introduce authentic Indonesian dishes lead by Indonesian native Chef DeCuisine Deanna and offer interpretations of California/French cooking methods via a collaboration between Executive Chef Tommy & Chef Deanna. Our lounge offers craft cocktails made with fresh juices and premium spirits while also showcasing a unique international wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
INDO Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
INDO Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (46)good for groups (39)special occasion (22)neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (20)great for lunch (16)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food, nice ambianceBarronParklocaleDined on 9/12/2014Seafood was marvelous - sea bass was delicate and flavorful, the shrimp were large and plumb and tasty, and both dishes served with flavorful sauces that complimented but did not overwhelm the natural flavors of the foods. I thought the chicken curry was delicious also, with plump and tender chicken in a yellow curry sauce, though my wife was not overwhelmed. All the plates are served family style. The jalepeno laced cilantro margarita is not to be missed - really unique and very pleasant. The bar scene was loud and lively, as was the outdoor dining area where a party was underway but we were seated at a table close to the patio and far enough from the noise to have enjoyed the dinner.Special Features:
- Great Asian Fusion foodmenloparkfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Great for dining outside. Pretty noisy inside. Delicious appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendlyDerngangDined on 8/29/2014We celebrated our daughters' birthdays in an elegant, friendly atmosphere, with good food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoriMDined on 8/24/2014Great food. We loved it when it was Straits and the menu is almost identical. Refreshing cocktails on the menu that compliment the flavors of the food. I was disappointed at the lack of upkeep. Everything needs a refresh - from the bathrooms to the patio ceiling. The service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Hard to find but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014We've been coming to Indo since it was named Straits for 10 years. They have a head start because Singaporian food is so good anyway, and they execute it so well. It's hard to find a dish that isn't really good here. Try the Roti for which they are known, it's hot and tender like a fresh-baked croissant. The appetizer sampler is fantastic for 2 people and a bargain at $12. Lamb Korma so tender it just falls off the bone. They have both indoor and outdoor seating - the indoor is more romantic, the outdoor is pleasant but could use a little dressing up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Indonesian Food, Exc serviceMitchellZDined on 8/8/2014Our first time to INDO, even though it's been in the neighborhood for some time. The music was ferociously loud, but we sat outside at a far corner, and that was fine. We're vegetarians, and there was a good selection of Indonesian, southeast Asian food. Everything we ordered was excellent, really good, and the service was friendly, careful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rvloves2eatDined on 8/5/2014We went to this place for a dinner. The menu has very simple south asian items but for an extravagant prices. Food quality is good.Special Features:
- A good dining experienceReneeSVIPDined on 8/2/2014We enjoyed our meal at Indo. The food was good but not outstanding. At a previous meal every dish was exciting, full of flavor and distinct. This time we seem to have chosen dishes that were not as dynamic as that time. It was a bit disappointing, but I think maybe our last meal was so great, it might have been difficult to match it. For example we had the ginger salad and this time there was not as much dressing--the salad was still good, but the dressing really made it outstanding last time. We've had good experiences at Indo and think it is worth a visit to enjoy well-prepared Asian cuisine in a comfortable setting with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice outdoor spaceChuckDined on 8/1/2014Inside was very loud when we walked in, apparently because they have a popular happy hour in the bar, but the outdoor space was large and very pleasant. Interesting range of Indonesian food. Good, friendly service.Special Features:
- A great dining experienceReneeSVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Indo. The food was great, the service was excellent, and we can hardly wait to return. We started with the mussels, the sauce was so good, we were sorry not to have bread or something to sop it up. We followed the mussels with the ginger salad--it was fresh and exciting! We loved very bite. The rest of the meal was as exciting as the beginning: short ribs, garlic noodles, snap peas. Each dish was distinct in its flavors, and wonderfully prepared. The meal excited our taste buds, comforted our stomachs, and pleased us in every possible way. We definitely enjoyed our meal and can hardly wait to come back and experience more dishes from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun fusionOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant offered a fun fusion menu. There were a few mishaps with our meal - one of the drinks was not what we ordered and we also got a dessert that we did not order (they were out of the one we ordered but didn't tell us and instead brought something different). The restaurant is very large and the staff was friendly. We weren't wowed by the food - the options were interesting and the food was good but not amazing. We had the sampler appetizer and liked some of the components but not all. It was a nice night and we enjoyed eating outside.Special Features:
- Awesome food as always...THarrisVIPDined on 7/22/2014The salmon and roti prata are RIDICULOUSLY good! Outdoor patio seating is excellent for lunch. Service is wonderful too, although the explanation of the lunch special vs the regular menu (and the waiter's recommendation of the sea bass, which did not come as a lunch special), was not appreciated and left something be desired... Great lunch spot. Need to work on presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find in Palo Alto!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/16/2014I must say that I was very happy with the food and the service I was provided with your my birthday celebration. I recommend to visit this restaurant, especially for dinner at the outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Solid, not spectaculartacosanDined on 7/11/2014Interesting mix of Thai, Malay, Indonesian dishes, translated for a SF/Bay palate. Some of the real punchy, poppy Flavors get lost in translation, but solid food overall. Service, ambience, etc all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Into IndoArchitectDined on 6/29/2014We're definitely into Indo. The duck kapitan and lobster padthai had rich flavors that we especially loved. The crab fried rice and chicken rendang were very good, if less impressive. The fired calamari and snap peas were good, but paled in comparison to the other dishes. The dining room has a modern Asian feel, upscale, but comfortable. The trellised outdoor area looked inviting on a 90 degree day. Overall a great experience for our family of 5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2014There were many different kinds of diners - families with children, couples, groups without kids. Food was excellent (meat was a little salty for our tastes but we generally prefer low-sodium foods and to be fair, we didn't ask our food to be prepared low-sodium). Lovely outdoor seating, by the time we left the outdoor seating area was full but it never felt loud. Water is refilled without asking. Gracious service, we didn't feel at all rushed. And our kids ate happily, which is a big plus. We enjoyed everything we ordered. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMarrunner06Dined on 6/20/2014Not sure it it's under new management, but this restaurant used to be much better. The service was nice but forgetful of our requests. The food was definitely blah and the drinks were a disappointment - mine cost $10 and I drank a few sips and did not finish the rest.i don't think we'll be coming back.Special Features:
- Awesome!VishDined on 6/20/2014Great server, awesome attitude and great recommendation. Highly recommend. Awesome food.Special Features:
- Very AttentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014The food was good. I only had one dish that I would run back for, and it was the Tuna Tatar. They staff was very attentive to the table maybe too much. I attribute this to it being a Tuesday evening and there not being much foot traffic. However, I do hear they have a great happy hour.Special Features:
- Local FavoriteKarenDined on 6/6/2014Our whole family loves this restaurant. We always order the roti, ginger salad, chicken curry, and steak to share. The service is friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Very Slow serviceFoodierachVIPDined on 5/25/2014This a cute little place for Asian food. They had good variety of food ranging from Thai, Malaysian and Indonesian. The service was very slow and they mixed up our food orders. The server came back twice to let know that they did not have the food we were ordering from the menu. The food tasted good nothing exceptional but above average. Good place for groups and easy on the wallets too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2014We had reservations for lunch 11:30 for a party of 11 and got there right on time. Aside from a couple, we were the only people in the restaurant at that time. We placed our order about 10 minutes after that and didn't get our food until 12:40 which seems way too long. By 12:30 we talked to the manager because the room had filled up with people and most people were eating by 12:15 and we still had not received our food. Then at 12:40 half the table received their food and another 10 minutes later the other half received their food. Since we had to be back to work 1:00 we had to get to go plates. The food was great, but the service we terrible. The manager did come and apologize.Special Features:
- The following 444 reviews are from the INDO Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- A neighborhood gem indeedfoodaholicDined on 5/16/2014Fabulous food & service. Friendly staff. Parking may be difficult, the back lot is usually full. Street parking available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honest FoodChrisSwissDined on 5/6/2014The Good was great as the service. Everythong was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but LOUDharpoVIPDined on 4/26/2014Delicious, wonderful food and good, attentive service, but so loud we had trouble talking at our table.Special Features:
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/26/2014We were surprised with the food; mango salad was bland, as well as the noodle dish. We asked to have more veggies in lieu of the crab. It was shocking when the bill came and they charged us extra for the veggies.
- I'll be back!DougBDined on 4/22/2014I have been to Indo a few times for lunch and dinner, and I have had drinks at the bar. The portions are reasonable, the food is consistently excellent, and the menu seems to have something for everyone. The servers are attentive and they can accommodate groups if you make a reservation. The place can get pretty crowded, and the parking can be tight during peak times, so you should plan ahead.Special Features:
- Great for business lunchesSCDMFDined on 4/16/2014I have been here twice for business lunches both inside and on the covered outdoor patio. The fountain is a lovely backdrop to the conversation. It is always barely filled which is surprising since the location on El Camino in Palo Alto is close to many businesses. But it seems out of the way. Nice environment. The food is quite good and it is easy to get into and out of despite the EL Camino location. Try it for lunch.Special Features:
- We were a large group of indecisiveLoriMDined on 4/9/2014We were a large group of indecisive people. Some wanted indoors, some wanted outdoors, and some wanted to sit in the bar/lounge. The staff was accommodating to our group, who changed their minds twice on where to sit. We truly appreciated their patience and flexibility. Menu is extensive and offered many delicious choices. The drink menu was refreshing and catered to everyone's desires. Overall experience was wonderful. Looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodDaraDined on 4/5/2014Food was excellent. I was expecting maybe a little fancier cocktails but they were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and missTwinsMomVIPDined on 3/29/2014From 2 visits.... don't expect they honor the time of the reservation. We had to wait 15 minutes to get seated. The mung bean pudding dessert was heavenly. The roti was served fresh and hot= yummy. However for a lamb shank enthusiast like me, theirs was a disappointment. Very small especially consider the price they charge for it. The cucumber was so overpowering that I wouldn't order the tuna tartar since I can't tell the taste of it. The spring roll was just a filler with salty sauce. The chicken satay was still moist and tender but the sauce was mediocre not at all peanut-ty. I do like the samosa with curry ground beef inside. That was memorable.Special Features:
- Great happy hour!PAPharmDined on 3/19/2014Love this place! Nice for those working in the Page Mill area and don't want to fight parking on California Street or University Ave. Quickly becoming a Happy Hour favorite - long happy hour 5-8pm, and then even longer happy hour on Fridays, 4-8 pm! Great $5 drink selection for happy hour :-)Special Features:
- Great staff, great (unique) foodJDThreeVIPDined on 3/15/2014We went there for our 10th Wedding Anniversary and loved it. They had a unique take on "standard" dishes like ribs and seabass. The fried rice was fantastic and for dessert, a very interesting pistachio crème brulee was a great finish. Absolutely LOVED the freshly squeezed mango & lemonade as well. A great find. It is a little bit loud and outside is great, but being on El Camino Real is a bit of downer (certainly not their fault).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Sunday Early DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/9/2014A friend and I went when they opened on Sunday at 5:00 pm and practically had the place to ourselves. It was quiet, and the staff was very attentive then. Don't know how it would be when it's busier. The food was outstanding. Would go next time with a larger group and order more varied menu items for sampling family style. I am very allergic to shellfish, and they made sure that the cook staff was alerted and I had no problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterBiocathyDined on 3/7/2014Waiter had really bad breath, Crab meat stuck to inside of shell, which is indicative of being frozen before cooking. Drinks were watered down Other food was very good but it was too loud to have a decent conversation
- Very noisyPlayGoerDined on 3/4/2014We came here for dinner before a show, and was seated promptly as the place was mostly empty. However, the bar was pretty full and the noise level was very high. It was hard to hear each other in that mostly empty dining area. It's probably due to the lack of noise buffer in their decor--everything is hard surface. The lighting was dimm so it could be a nice and romantic ambience, yet the noise ruined it all. The food was very good and tasty, but everything is a la cart in addition to the steep price. We probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Another good meal at Indo.SalmonDined on 3/1/2014We've been coming here since the restaurant was called "Straits". In fact we held our wedding rehearsal dinner at Straits. Ownership changed--it is now called Indo. The chef and food remained as pleasant as ever. The menu has shifted more toward Indonesian style, as the name indicates; however, there are other South East Asian influences. We often take out-of-town guests to this place and have never been disappointed. The staff are generally friendly; although they can get rather busy; the atmosphere is pleasant, and the food is very tasty. My wife grew up in Indonesia and she is happy that this place strikes a good balance between maintaining some authentic flavors, while adapting others to the local pallet. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence!one2hookDined on 2/21/2014The staff were friendly upon arrival, and though we were some of te last guests, we werent rushed or hurried. The food was amazing, the drinks were splendid, and i'll ve back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small portionsmulanDined on 2/13/2014I ordered a fish plate that costs 30 bucks but was disappointed when they brought me the plate with such a small portion. Same reaction from my friends with their fish plates. If the fish portions were bigger I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missItalianSnobVIPDined on 2/7/2014We ate here on a Thursday night and the food was really hit or miss. The Roti Prata was really great though they don't provide enough sauce but the basil chicken was mediocre at best and was more of a curry than a true basil chicken.