INDO Restaurant & Lounge
3295 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
INDO Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.indorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (650) 494-9184
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indonesian, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tommy Charoen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer outside catering. Please give us a call or email with the details!
- Private Party Facilities: Our semi private room can accomodate up to 35 guests. Patio is available for any large parties of up to 150. Please give us a call or email with your event details!
- Private Party Contact: Bryan Lew 6504947168x
- Entertainment: Stay tuned, we will be your nightlife destination.
- Special Events: INDO Restaurant offers private dining to create the perfect setting for your special events. Our two private rooms can accommodate 20 to 80 guests, and our patio is perfect for cocktail receptions for up to 150.
A word from INDO Restaurant & Lounge
INDO Restaurant & Lounge is conveniently located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our culinary vision is of two goals to introduce authentic Indonesian dishes lead by Indonesian native Chef DeCuisine Deanna and offer interpretations of California/French cooking methods via a collaboration between Executive Chef Tommy & Chef Deanna. Our lounge offers craft cocktails made with fresh juices and premium spirits while also showcasing a unique international wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
INDO Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
INDO Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (51)good for groups (39)fit for foodies (36)special occasion (24)neighborhood gem (21)vibrant bar scene (14)romantic (13)hot spot (12)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Delicious, but LOUDharpoVIPDined on 4/26/2014Delicious, wonderful food and good, attentive service, but so loud we had trouble talking at our table.Special Features:
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/26/2014We were surprised with the food; mango salad was bland, as well as the noodle dish. We asked to have more veggies in lieu of the crab. It was shocking when the bill came and they charged us extra for the veggies.
- I'll be back!DougBDined on 4/22/2014I have been to Indo a few times for lunch and dinner, and I have had drinks at the bar. The portions are reasonable, the food is consistently excellent, and the menu seems to have something for everyone. The servers are attentive and they can accommodate groups if you make a reservation. The place can get pretty crowded, and the parking can be tight during peak times, so you should plan ahead.Special Features:
- Great for business lunchesSCDMFDined on 4/16/2014I have been here twice for business lunches both inside and on the covered outdoor patio. The fountain is a lovely backdrop to the conversation. It is always barely filled which is surprising since the location on El Camino in Palo Alto is close to many businesses. But it seems out of the way. Nice environment. The food is quite good and it is easy to get into and out of despite the EL Camino location. Try it for lunch.Special Features:
- We were a large group of indecisiveLoriMDined on 4/9/2014We were a large group of indecisive people. Some wanted indoors, some wanted outdoors, and some wanted to sit in the bar/lounge. The staff was accommodating to our group, who changed their minds twice on where to sit. We truly appreciated their patience and flexibility. Menu is extensive and offered many delicious choices. The drink menu was refreshing and catered to everyone's desires. Overall experience was wonderful. Looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodDaraDined on 4/5/2014Food was excellent. I was expecting maybe a little fancier cocktails but they were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and missTwinsMomVIPDined on 3/29/2014From 2 visits.... don't expect they honor the time of the reservation. We had to wait 15 minutes to get seated. The mung bean pudding dessert was heavenly. The roti was served fresh and hot= yummy. However for a lamb shank enthusiast like me, theirs was a disappointment. Very small especially consider the price they charge for it. The cucumber was so overpowering that I wouldn't order the tuna tartar since I can't tell the taste of it. The spring roll was just a filler with salty sauce. The chicken satay was still moist and tender but the sauce was mediocre not at all peanut-ty. I do like the samosa with curry ground beef inside. That was memorable.Special Features:
- Great happy hour!PAPharmDined on 3/19/2014Love this place! Nice for those working in the Page Mill area and don't want to fight parking on California Street or University Ave. Quickly becoming a Happy Hour favorite - long happy hour 5-8pm, and then even longer happy hour on Fridays, 4-8 pm! Great $5 drink selection for happy hour :-)Special Features:
- Great staff, great (unique) foodJDThreeVIPDined on 3/15/2014We went there for our 10th Wedding Anniversary and loved it. They had a unique take on "standard" dishes like ribs and seabass. The fried rice was fantastic and for dessert, a very interesting pistachio crème brulee was a great finish. Absolutely LOVED the freshly squeezed mango & lemonade as well. A great find. It is a little bit loud and outside is great, but being on El Camino Real is a bit of downer (certainly not their fault).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Sunday Early DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/9/2014A friend and I went when they opened on Sunday at 5:00 pm and practically had the place to ourselves. It was quiet, and the staff was very attentive then. Don't know how it would be when it's busier. The food was outstanding. Would go next time with a larger group and order more varied menu items for sampling family style. I am very allergic to shellfish, and they made sure that the cook staff was alerted and I had no problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterBiocathyDined on 3/7/2014Waiter had really bad breath, Crab meat stuck to inside of shell, which is indicative of being frozen before cooking. Drinks were watered down Other food was very good but it was too loud to have a decent conversation
- Very noisyPlayGoerDined on 3/4/2014We came here for dinner before a show, and was seated promptly as the place was mostly empty. However, the bar was pretty full and the noise level was very high. It was hard to hear each other in that mostly empty dining area. It's probably due to the lack of noise buffer in their decor--everything is hard surface. The lighting was dimm so it could be a nice and romantic ambience, yet the noise ruined it all. The food was very good and tasty, but everything is a la cart in addition to the steep price. We probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Another good meal at Indo.SalmonDined on 3/1/2014We've been coming here since the restaurant was called "Straits". In fact we held our wedding rehearsal dinner at Straits. Ownership changed--it is now called Indo. The chef and food remained as pleasant as ever. The menu has shifted more toward Indonesian style, as the name indicates; however, there are other South East Asian influences. We often take out-of-town guests to this place and have never been disappointed. The staff are generally friendly; although they can get rather busy; the atmosphere is pleasant, and the food is very tasty. My wife grew up in Indonesia and she is happy that this place strikes a good balance between maintaining some authentic flavors, while adapting others to the local pallet. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence!one2hookDined on 2/21/2014The staff were friendly upon arrival, and though we were some of te last guests, we werent rushed or hurried. The food was amazing, the drinks were splendid, and i'll ve back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small portionsmulanDined on 2/13/2014I ordered a fish plate that costs 30 bucks but was disappointed when they brought me the plate with such a small portion. Same reaction from my friends with their fish plates. If the fish portions were bigger I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missItalianSnobVIPDined on 2/7/2014We ate here on a Thursday night and the food was really hit or miss. The Roti Prata was really great though they don't provide enough sauce but the basil chicken was mediocre at best and was more of a curry than a true basil chicken.
- Special occasionslexalphaDined on 2/6/2014are handled nicely. I noted on res. that we were celebrating both a birthday and an anniversary, and requested a special dessert, no nuts. Then I just left it in their hands. They brought us some unexpected sparkling wine, and then a wonderful cake dessert that was warm, delicious and even had a candle. Attentive service but not intrusive. The only problem was that the noise level was very high, but we had a great time anyway. We'll go back again.Special Features:
- Great food and ambience.foodieDined on 2/1/2014I really liked the good here. The ambience is also very good, with low noise and dimly lit it calls for special occasions when you want a romatic dinner or just a nice dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencejimuDined on 1/25/2014The food was really great, the drinks are excellent and the staff was great. They were clearly down a waiter but managed to make up for it. Only real knock is that some of the tables are placed oddly in narrow throughways so there can be a fair amount of foot traffic. Still, deserves its 4 stars overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Fusion DelightLadyDyDined on 1/21/2014Thumbs up for the sea bass, garlic noodles, & all the veggie dishes. My friends enjoyed several of the specialty cocktails. I love that they have fresh squeezed lemonade.Special Features:
- Group centralBrunchDinerVIPDined on 1/18/2014This used to be a trendy intimate place but it's very much groups now. Lots of big tables, noisy vibe. Great for parties and groups. Definitely a good place for a birthday. The food never fails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurantSJgirlVIPDined on 1/18/2014We have dined at this new restaurant for a few times and were very happy every time we came back. The food is very flavorful. Drinks are good. The seabass was my favorite. Happy hour foods are also very good. The manager paid good attention to returned customer and even brought us a free chocolate dessert. That customer service always draw customers back. Definitely a recommendation and will come back.Special Features:
- Indo gets it right!travelkatDined on 1/18/2014Newly renovated with cool bar, gorgeous outdoor area and cool indoor interior. Food is fabulous south east asian fare - touches of Indonesia, Singapore and other wonderful cuisines. Really excellent food with fabulous flavors and great cocktails such as the cucumber basil gimlet. Excellent and attentive servers too. Not at all pricey either which makes it a great venue to go with a group or with the family. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/17/2014Wonderful pear cocktail and both entrees (Asian noodle) and short rib... We're terrific
- The Go-To Place for All OccasionsGigiVIPDined on 1/11/2014Indo is a great choice for business lunches, company happy hours and romantic dinners, inside and outside in the patio. The service has been excellent each time I went, the bartenders and waiting staff are very friendly and the food is excellent, even for foodies. The ambiance is great for casual, professional and romantic dining. The combination of the open space from bar to indoor dining to patio seating makes this place very versatile. Indo is a place for all occasions, sure to please your professional colleagues, casual friends, and dates. It's the kind of place everyone you bring leaves impressed with, and is sure to get you compliments as a hip foodie who knows your spots!Special Features:
- INDO a Must...HLC1VIPDined on 1/10/2014Excellent Southeast Asian cuisine, served in a energetic atmosphere. Service is reasonably good. If you like food from Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore etc., then INDO is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- place was busy but service was fastmirellabDined on 1/10/2014I enjoyed a Friday evening with three of my best girlfriends here recently. We shared combinations of small plates (notable the papaya salad and one of the noodle dishes), salads and entrees and enjoyed everything. I had a jalapeno margarita which was absolutely addictive. We sat outside on the El Camino side of the restaurant, but the tent (felt like we were at a wedding) and the heat lamps made it pleasant and we didn't hear any car traffic but for one emergency vehicle that went by. The service was really swift and the dishes came out in a well-timed way so that we felt like we were eating forever. Desserts were great too. This place would be great for large group lunches, I'd think, but could get a bit boisterous for a 'working lunch'Special Features:
- worth a trytechtnDined on 1/8/2014This is a great place. I have been here 3 times and have always enjoyed the food. I recommend eating family style so you can try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely coming back!hayleyDined on 12/20/2013The staff was amazing! Very accommodating (we changed our reservations 3 times as our party size decreased) and attentive to our requests. Despite several large parties and a DJ playing music, the noise level was not an issue and you could still hold a conversation without having to yell. The food was outstanding! We ordered the Tuna Tartare (they were more than happy to replenish our shrimp chips when we ran out), Gado Gado, Poh Pia, and my favorite, the Bihun Goreng (which was still tasty the next day as leftovers!). I'm looking forward to coming back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very attentiveimdegDined on 12/7/2013Great food, very attentive and considerate waitstaff. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for business dinner.lunchtimeVIPDined on 12/4/2013The food and the service is excellent. I had not been here since it changed from Straits to INDO - and we were pleasantly surprised. the sea bass melts in your mouth and the eggplant alone is worth a repeat visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy and TastyKatrinaDined on 11/27/2013Indo is a hip and trendy restaurant. The service was very nice, although a bit hyper-efficient clean up. I sat outside on the really nice patio. The hostess was really nice to make sure we were near a heat lamp so the seniors in my group wouldn't get cold (and they probably don't have a ton of seniors visiting). Great food. The Mie Goreng and the Lamb Curry were great. I recommend ordering more rice because the sauces for the dishes tend to be on the heavy side, but would be excellent over rice (ex. papaya curried beef) Overall, nice and trendy place for fusion asian food and hangout with friends.Special Features:
- I would go back, but not regularlyileftmyheartinsanjoseDined on 11/23/2013Pros: Staff are all friendly, professional, and prompt the patio seating is pleasant the restaurant is well decorated The food is good, but over-priced Cons: Not family-friendly I was disappointed that the online-menu didn't match the menu when we arrivedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningSamGrauszDined on 11/22/2013Dinner at INDO was very tasty and enjoyable. Enclosed patio area is particularly pleasant. Lounge in back has loud DJ music, so make sure you get a table on the patio if you want to be able to talk to others at your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live in the area and firstBayAreaCatDined on 11/19/2013Live in the area and first time to new restaurant Indo. Met a friend for lunch and the food was EXCELLENT! Very flavorful and satisfying. Can't wait to back.Special Features:
- Our first time to the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/15/2013Our first time to the restaurant. Went based on Open Table reviews. Good food and service. Only complaints was bar music was too noisy and lighting too dim making it hard to read the menu.Special Features:
- Will definitely be back to IndoTEGOVIPDined on 11/13/2013The service and food were very good. You would have no idea by driving by the restaurant that is was such a quality establishment. However, once inside you realize this is a popular spot. The service was great as was the food. Also, the drinks were unusual (I had a jalapeno-cilantro margarita) and very good. My only complaint was that it was too loud to easily carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & awesome serviceBradDined on 11/9/2013This place has all the best things on the menu! We tried the Roti Prata, Black Pepper Mussles, Chilean Seabass, Lemongrass Rib-eye, Garlic Noodles, and Coconut Rice. It was such an amazing dinner and we can't wait to go back. Definitely stands out from all the other restaurants in Palo Alto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDevsDined on 11/9/2013The food was awesome! Everything we had was tasty and the cocktails were great too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charged for refills of icedAlvinstella1Dined on 11/8/2013Charged for refills of iced tea without informing us. Overall place is not desirable and too expensive for what they have to offer. Will not go back.Special Features: