687 McAllister St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.indigorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4156739353x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, and Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Michael Whang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer various party platters in addition to our ala carte menu
- Private Party Facilities: We offer many options for private dining and receptions. Our Private Dining Room holds 14, or Wine Cellar Table holds 8, our Restaurant holds up to 80 and our Crimson Lounge is perfect for cocktail parties for 20-100 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael 415-673-9353 8883906741
- Entertainment: Satellite Radio with 100 stations
- Special Events: Dining in the Dark, Crimson Lounge
A word from Indigo
Indigo offers an exciting California - New American menu featuring the best quality local and seasonal ingredients. Their Ten-Time Wine Spectator Award wine list offers many value oriented wines as well as hard to find gems. They also have NO Corkage Fee! The setting is warm, comfortable and elegant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Indigo reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (78)fit for foodies (49)special occasion (41)romantic (22)notable wine list (12)good for groups (8)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Pre-opera dinner.MaggieHeartDined on 9/27/2014There three of us ladies dining at Indigo on a Saturday night. We received a nice welcome and speedy service as we wanted to make the pre-opera talk as well as the opera. Each of us ordered the fish dishes: salmon and swordfish. All three of us enjoyed the preparations, moist and flavorful fish with seasonal and tasty vegetable accompaniments. It was perfect, satisfying and healthful. Each of us enjoyed a by the glass red, which arrived quickly at the start of our meal.Special Features:
- Indigo merits attentionSaraEDined on 9/23/2014We were offered a booth in the back corner (seats <6 comfortably and offers some noise protection). Range of menu choices: salmon, swordfish, chicken, pork or beef tenderloin & more, with delicious-sounding accompaniments; tempted by prix fixe dinner @$30. No corkage on 1st bottle. Opted for roast chicken w/cannellini beans & the beef tenderloin, seared, served medium rare w/flavorful creamy mashed potatoes & fresh green beans. Started w/roasted asparagus/ arugula salad & shaved parmesan. Shared the apple crostada w/dulce de leche ice cream & the dark chocolate cake w/minted strawberries & vanilla bean ice cream. The place empties before theater/opera; go sometime when you're not hurrying off; enjoy the good service and the quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good pre-opera choicePaloAltoVIPDined on 9/23/2014In the Civic Center - War Memorial neighborhood, this restaurant caters to the before-show crowd for dinners. Decor is OK not elegant, cocktails were very tasty. Food was good, well prepared and presented. Our only observation was that there were 2 waitpersons only for the entire restaurant and they were obviously stretched thin and harrassed as they ran all around the place trying to keep up. While they kept up their positive attitude, the stress level was obvious and the restaurant would be better served by adding more staff.
- DisappointingMackVIPDined on 9/23/2014My wife and I have enjoyed dining at Indigo for many years but on our last occasion, two nights ago, it all ended with absolutely awful service. I guess everyone's entitled to one boo-boo. Our server must have been the new kid on the block. He was definately a hipster in demeanor and language - meaning way too casual for a nice restaurant (more suited for Clown Alley). He appeared bewildered by his responsibilities and had to be asked repeatedly to perform the most routine server activities (clearing used menus, wine glasses, serving more water, clearing plates from the table - on and on). Without naming him in this review, when you dine there, ask for a table attended to by a female, thus won't be disappointed in the meal or service.
- Fab Food, Great Pre-Theater FindmickadoodledoDined on 9/20/2014Four of us came up from the south bay looking for great food, reasonable prices and a nice wine list -- where we could get dinner before a show at the Orpheum and still easily walk to the Theater after dinner (eliminate need to re-park or take cabs). Indigo delivered. The White Corn soup was a very nice surprise. Salmon in Coconut Curry and and the Roasted Chicken with white bean & pesto salad were notable. The salad with nectarines and goat cheese was beautiful and well presented. l felt we had superior selections. Service was a tad slow; they may have been one man down. Recommend reservations. At 6:30 it started to get crowded -- with people going to 8pm shows.Special Features:
- Pre-symphony indigoannajakDined on 9/20/2014Food was very good, comparably priced to other local good-quality restaurants. Fixed price was good. Swordfish was very good. Salad excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Noisy obnoxious group next to us made the experience difficult. No fault of the testaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; iffy servicesfsgoersDined on 9/19/2014Friendly greeting; food is very good (definitely a reason to return); the "bus boy" should get most of the tip; he was very busy and attentive and took up the slack of 3 young women waitresses that need to pay more attention -- filling water glasses and coffee cups during our meal. They need a "leader" to remind them of their responsibilities. They seemed to be socializing during our dinner.Special Features:
- Unexpected DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014In San Francisco on a Saturday night and needing a short notice dinner. Found Indigo online and had availability so booked and went along. The restaurant was very quiet with only one other table occupied. Received the usual good service and had an excellent meal for the price. Being few people it was obviously quiet which meant our conversation was easy; we don't like places where you have to shout at each other, to be heard; however a few more diners would have increased the ambience. Apparently there is a separate restaurant in the basement that is totally dark, which is accessed through Indigo....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingEastBayGalVIPDined on 9/13/2014The place is attractive and quiet, and the food above average, but service was sloppy (e.g., appetizers before drinks, bread neither offered nor delivered). Unisex bathroom was dirty and unpleasant.
- Brilliant!UncleBobDined on 9/12/2014Hadn't been to Indigo for years and had forgotten what kind of food they had. But it must have improved a lot since my last visit! I started out impressed by the relatively brief menu that contained many items that were interesting. But the FOOD was the most impressing aspect of the restaurant. I, and my three companions, were absolutely blown away! Tuna tartare was absolutely to die for! One should not be misled by the rather bleak neighborhood and external appearance of the restaurant. Oh yes, we were impressed by the low prices and the fine service. Some effort at noise reduction would be appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationSFVisitorDined on 9/11/2014This is a great location near to the Opera, Ballet and Symphony. We parked right on the street in front. It was a Thursday night and it was rather quiet which was nice. We had never been to Indigo before. The service was fantastic. Our server was spot on with everything. Loved him. Loved the decor. The food was a bit pricey for what it was and how it was presented -- I think with just a little more effort this could be a sensational restaurant. The chef needs to have just a bit more imagination and glitz - this IS San Francisco! But overall we enjoyed our dinner and we were out in time to take a leisurely evening walk over to the Orpheum to see MoTown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The right place before SFSAnonymousIVDined on 9/10/2014There was a minor glitch with finding a server for our table, but it was resolved very quickly. Everything proceeded smoothly after that. This included time for coffee and a delightful dessert before heading over to Davies.
- Good choice on an opera nightSharonDined on 9/10/2014Food was very good, choices inventive, service excellent, place was very busy and well handledSpecial Features:
- great 4 pre-opera/symphony/balletMarkVIPDined on 9/6/2014the food her is just "very good" - it is not amazing but it is far from shabby - the prices are very reasonable, the service is great and the location cant be beat - just some of the reasons this place has stayed busy for over a decadeSpecial Features:
- Dinner before the SymphonyRebeccaVIPDined on 9/5/2014We dine often at Indigo before the Symphony. The staff is friendly and fast and the food is good. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone attending a Civic Center performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before symphony diningCaroleeDined on 9/4/2014Looking for a place to eat before the symphony/ballet/opera??? There are lots of good places to eat in Hayes Valley, but this one was a find. It is one block out of the way, which made it more quiet. I really dislike the loud scene at some of the restaurants. (We were there early, so maybe it gets noisy later, I don't know) One of my first ways to judge a restaurant is by its bread!! OH my, just wonderful. I make my own soups and so I am a critical judge of them, and Indigo's corn bisque was just delicious, creamy without being too rich. The chicken dish I had was unique, succulent and flavorful, and I ate all of it, something I rarely do in restaurants. I would definitely go back to Indigo again.Special Features:
- bytheseaDined on 8/30/2014This is a great place. We had an early reservation before the theater. The service was great and the prices are reasonable. It was relatively quiet because it was early. I would definitely recommend this restaruant to foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice re-visitEhmmDined on 8/29/2014It had been many years since I was last at Indigo. I chose it because there aren't that many choices that are a decent walking distance to the Orpheum Theater and I had some good memories. We arrived early for our reservation and were seated immediately as the 1st patrons. The services was excellent - very attentive and helpful. The food was quite good, especially the white corn cream soup! We had brought our own bottle of white wine as the choices were limited and were not charged corkage. I appreciated this and tipped accordingly. The main downside to the whole experience would be the bathrooms - really quite inexcusable and I don't know why they don't offer a face-lift as well as better cleaning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigo RestaurantWineanddineDined on 8/26/2014Close to Civic Center; very close to Davies. The food was very good with creative, inspired dishes. The service was exceptional. We were there on a rather slow night, but enjoyed our dining experience very much.Special Features:
- Friday dinnerGood2eatDined on 8/22/2014Indigo is a sad little place. The young woman who served us was very pleasent; we were the only guests on a Friday night when all the restaurants in the area were bustling. The menu was dull. We had a salad & glass of wine and left.
- Reliably goodJuanPoeVIPDined on 8/9/2014What's not to like? Good food, great service, quiet enough for conversation, and no corkage fee for the first bottle of wine.
- laderaDined on 8/8/2014We first found Indigo when we were looking for a meal before the Opera, but since then we have been back a number of times and have brought friends and family. The food is delicious and thoughtfully paired with wine selections. The wait staff is always impeccable. It is easy to find parking and easy to walk from Indigo to Opera/symphony/Jazz Center/etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before the show - any showCalOVIPDined on 7/31/2014We were heading to one of the theaters in the area and got an early seating at Indigo. I had the chicken and wife had the salmon. Both well prepared and delicious. They cater to the show crowd very well. I would and did recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before theaterMareDined on 7/31/2014Prior to attending an event at the Nourse Theater we had a lovely dinner at Indigo. The cream of corn soup was delicious as a starter. I enjoyed a delicious salmon dish while my husband had the swordfish, which he thoroughly enjoyed. We shared the espresso panna cotta dessert.....scrumptious! Nice wine selection as well.Special Features:
- Another happy experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014We love Indigo before the Symphony! Vegetarian pasta, corn soup, scallop salad, banana almond cake all delicious. Prix fixe a great bargain. Service is impeccable. Particularly liked that staff waited to clear dishes from a course until everyone had finished that course. Always a great meal and pleasant experience at Indigo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good ExperienceJeffmDined on 7/24/2014We enjoyed our food very much. Delicious fish, soup and salads. The dinning room is very charming. The wait staff was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as the first timeSiouxellenDined on 7/19/2014Actually we were a little disappointed. This was our 4th time dinning here and none of our dinners were as good as the first time. The filet was just OK and the swordfish was a little bit rubbery although flavorful with the veggies on top. We split the pear salad and they were happy to substitute blue cheese for the feta. We appreciated that. My husband and I agree that the best part of the meal was the warm apple crisp type dessert with maple ice cream on top - it was superb! The service was very good probably in part because there were not many diners, especially for a Saturday night. We will give this another try because we love the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Pre-show satisfactionMinnieDined on 7/17/2014Great place for before a show. Great value for SF dining. Ahi appetizer was yummy, as was the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK for the theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/17/2014Not as god as prior visits. Scallops were tasty, salmon with coconut curry was bland. Nothing was wrong just didn't feel interesting. Desserts were uninspiring so we didn't even order.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a good pre-concert siteAnonymousIVDined on 7/12/2014I was on a more complicated schedule than usual for this meal. Everyone did much to smooth the way for me. Such attentiveness should always be recognized. The only problem was too much salt in the vegetarian penne. It did not give the other ingredients a chance to "speak for themselves."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tuna tartartunatartarloverDined on 7/11/2014go frequently before opera, ballet, or symphony and always order the tuna tartar + one other small plate. Never go away unhappy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigo, what a great find.BobbiDined on 7/9/2014Such a nice place to eat before the SF Opera. The food is always good, and the no corkage fee policy is wonderful.Indigo is quite the find when attending the Opera, Symphony or ballet.
- Acceptable Pre-Show RestaurantmonfrankDined on 7/5/2014The decor felt a bit tired but the food was really quite good. This is a convenient place to dine before going to the opera.
- Best Opera/ Symphony Pre=diningLeeamDined on 7/3/2014The food is first rate. We split salmon which was cooked just right and nicely presented. The grilled asparagus salad made a big hit with the ladies. The service was cheerful and prompt so we got to the opera on on time. The complimentary corkage on the first bottle of wine is always appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another happy birthday party!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2014Every time we have tickets for the SF Symphony, Indigo is our go-to spot for a wonderful meal before the show. This year coincided with a birthday celebration made all the happier by great food and attentive service. The prix fixe dinners are a bargain. A special place for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xyzfoodDined on 7/1/2014Good food and great place to go before the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueYummyDined on 7/1/2014Well located, close to Opera House and Symphony Hall. Excellent service. Limited menu but food is always reliably good. Considering the quality, the prices are surprisingly, reasonably low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for pre-symphony or operaMartinigirlVIPDined on 6/28/2014It's a great spot for pre-show dinner. The prix fixe menu is a bargain at $35 for 3 courses! The main room gets loud but the back room is quiet. You can also eat at the bar which is a nice cooler option in the summer! Some things didn't work well like the citrus harissa scallops which I thought clashed, but the filet of beef was well executed and the serving staff very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hurry up, the opera's starting.JamsDined on 6/27/2014A pre opera hot spot, Indigo provides the best dining within walking distal to the War opera house. Although they have the opera crowd cornered, they don't put much effort into keeping it that way. Maybe the addition of some menu items that can be prepared in less time?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.