687 McAllister St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.indigorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 673-9353
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, and Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Michael Whang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer various party platters in addition to our ala carte menu
- Private Party Facilities: We offer many options for private dining and receptions. Our Private Dining Room holds 14, or Wine Cellar Table holds 8, our Restaurant holds up to 80 and our Crimson Lounge is perfect for cocktail parties for 20-100 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael 415-673-9353 8883906741
- Entertainment: Satellite Radio with 100 stations
- Special Events: Dining in the Dark, Crimson Lounge
A word from Indigo
Indigo offers an exciting California - New American menu featuring the best quality local and seasonal ingredients. Their Ten-Time Wine Spectator Award wine list offers many value oriented wines as well as hard to find gems. They also have NO Corkage Fee! The setting is warm, comfortable and elegant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Indigo reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (62)special occasion (38)romantic (23)notable wine list (13)good for groups (10)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good but not greatDinnerDateVIPDined on 11/22/2014There is nothing to rave about. The food and service were okay, but I probably would not go back here. The pork tenderloin was slightly overcooked and the sauce was too sweet. The beef tenderloin and almond banana cake were good. Great price for a 3 course meal though.
- Always pleasedBeenThereVIPDined on 11/22/2014Food, service and timing always excellent. Could use something to look at on the bare walls; maybe some plants? The apartment building across the street is ugly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before a show around Civic CenterAndyDined on 11/22/2014Caters to the pre symphony/opera/ballet/concert crowd and does it well. Nice decor, good bartender, and a decent prix fixe menu for a reasonable price. The food is good but not the best in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vic11Dined on 11/21/2014Excellent for pre opera, ballet, symphony. I just wish they would change the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/18/2014There is nothing remarkable about this place but all good, food, service and decor. Nice before the opera or symphony.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Opera and SymphonyOTHDinerDined on 11/15/2014We have dined here several times before the symphony or the opera and food always good, and the service efficient, yet attentive. Our last experience (November 15) was particularly positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater supper spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2014Great little place a short walk from the Opera House. One of those fabulous little neighborhood places that make San Francisco a great city. Our sever, Tess, did a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- easy parking. Very good food. Prix Fix was tix.ThorDined on 11/14/2014very good food. The Seafood was a little expensive and generic. The pork tenderloin is the ticket. Service was very good. The waitress was not too attentive and very polite and helpful. When sharing soup one needs a separate cup and spoon. All in all very well rounded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstanding!coastalocalDined on 11/14/2014Well prepared nutritious food, great service, perfect for opera and ballet pre performance dinners because they are aware you need to be finished in time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On DisplaywandererDined on 11/13/2014Indigo was a fine but not great restaurant experience. It appears to be a converted storefront on a busy street and we ended up on display. I found it rather distracting. The food was fine and slightly spicy but not exceptional. The staff was attentive but not overly so. We are looking for a good restaurant before the theater but probably won't return to Indigo.
- good timesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2014We had delicious food and the waitstaff were attentive and everything was great thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Indigo fit the bill. Within walking distance to the opera house. Ambience was perfect and service was outstanding. We felt the ingredients of every dish was high quality. We would definetely return.Special Features:
- Really nicedivegurl7Dined on 11/2/2014The menu looked lovely - I just had the Arugula salad and the Ahi appetizer and the espresso panna cota, and a vodka martini. All were perfect and very yummy. I was there on a Sun. evening after a matinee opera. Very convenient location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OperaBuffDined on 11/2/2014We dined there after the opera. Delightful experience. The background music was classical and baroque, a refreshing change from most establishments. Very convenient to the Civic Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow servicepickyVIPDined on 11/1/2014Dinner for four took an hour to be served. Food was meh.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2014A very pleasant dinner before the symphony, with an excellent and well-priced beef filet as a main dish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FranVIPDined on 10/29/2014We loved the entrees, salads, waitstaff and atmosphere of dining early before the SFSyphony. Our friends had never been there before and were impressed with Michael's style of cooking. Minor complaint on the banana-almond dessert: cake too hard, more flavor of banana or almond needed, the chocolate ice cream doesn't work. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the Giants score!Special Features:
- great entrees and dessertGeelaDined on 10/25/2014Indigo is a convenient choice before attending nearby cultural events, which appears to account for most of the clientele as it was pretty empty by the time we left around 7:30 (on a Saturday night). Service was lovely, nice staff. Our entrees and dessert won the day. The flavors in our two appetizers - seared scallops with citrus, and arugula salad with blue cheese etc. did not quite pop. However our entrees of salmon and swordfish were perfectly grilled, with wonderful delicately-flavored accompaniments. The apple crostata dessert was a treat. Indigo's decor is artsy elegance, although the battery-operated votives on the tables should be replaced by real ones, and the smokiness of the grill bothered me a bit.Special Features:
- Greek101Dined on 10/24/2014Just a couple blocks from the Opera House, perfect for a pre show dinner. Food was very good and they have a great wine list, that is also very affordable. I don't think I saw a bottle for more than $60 and the average cost of most bottles ranged around $40. Totally worth it for 3-4 people. Food was very good and filling too. I very much enjoyed the Pork Tenderloin and the Sweet Potato Au Gratin was very yummy. Hope to come back and give the desserts a try too.Special Features:
- Time to get to the OperasebastopolfoodieDined on 10/24/2014We do enjoy Indigo because, aside form the delicious food, the staff make a point of making sure you can get to the Opera or Symphony on time. The choices were good, something for all palates. We especially enjoyed the scallops in a salad of citrus fruit, unusual and light for a first course. The lack of a corkage charge is a special bonus for those of us coming from the Russian River Valley! We do like our local wines. Mixed drinks and cocktails were well made and generous with the spirits.Special Features:
- OK for pre opera dinnerCosiFanDined on 10/24/2014Very convenient to War Memorial Opera House. Food fine, but not awesome. Vegetarian option a rather starchy, boring pasta with overcooked, huge chunks of broccoli. The pork however was excellent, tender and flavorful. Since the patrons at 5pm were all!? apparently going on to the opera why not play opera instrumental music --- there is a lot of it that is really popular that every one likes.
- Pre-concert GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Indigo is a great restaurant for dinner before an opera, ballet or symphony concert. Service is quick and friendly, the cuisine is well prepared and the presentation is attractive. It is less than a three block walk to the opera house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable dining near city centerwineanddinerDined on 10/18/2014For many years three of us out-of-towners from Santa Cruz have dined at Indigo before opera or symphony performances. The meals and the wines have never failed to please us. On Saturday the salads were excellent, as always. My two companions then had beautiful but differently grilled filet mignons while I enjoyed the Canadian salmon. My partner prefers a single glass of sauvignon blanc with her dinners. The other diner and I split a splendid bottle of MacMurray Pinot Noir from the Russian River between us that complimented both his medium rare steak and my salmon dish. The restaurant was a bit crowded and noisy this time, but we were served quite attentively and got to the opera with plenty of time to spare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our pre-opera favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/18/2014We love the fresh, contemporary food presentations and wine pairings; there is also a prix fixe offering. Service is well-practiced (they know you're going to the opera/symphony if you are in the early group) and servers are helpful and well-versed about wines. It's fun to see everyone dressed up for the opera or symphony - and just a short walk to the performances.Special Features:
- Very helpful and accommodatingLovesfoperaVIPDined on 10/16/2014Due to traffic issues we were running late. Called ahead to let restaurant know and of 7:30 curtain time. They held the table and staff knocked themselves out to make sure we were out the door on time. chicken breast and salmon entrees were very good - especially the salmon. Will go back when less pressed for time as I'd like to try the panna cotta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/16/2014Enjoy this restaurant before the opera. We can always rely on good food and service and relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Place to Dine for the OperaradrapDined on 10/15/2014Have had dinner here several times when attending the opera. The food is good to excellent; the service has been mixed. However, service seems to be improving. If you are attending a concert or the opera, it is a great location for dinner. The staff works hard to get you out at the time you request even when you arrive a bit late. Indigo's is a place you can have a good enjoyable leisurely dinner, still walk to the opera, and arrive well before the overture starts.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014I was at Indigo about a year ago and was really disappointed at the food but this time I was really pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- Friendly restaurant fine diningLarissasmamiDined on 10/11/2014Really enjoyed the staff here all very friendly. Food was so delicious. And setting was perfect for our anniversary dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerout2nightDined on 10/11/2014Once again the food and service were very good! We will continue to return to this restaurant -- location, very good food, reasonable prices and great service.Special Features:
- IndigoPeninsulaDinerDined on 10/10/2014Just discovered this restaurant and we will be back. Excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/10/2014I have eaten at this restaurant many times and had good experiences. Not the most recent time though. Swordfish was tasteless and kale was too sharp in taste. Will hope for better nest time.
- An Opera favoriteVic11Dined on 10/10/2014We usually go on an opera night with a group of six. Great food but I wish that the menu would change . Servicee, ambience are always consisrently good. Alwaysa favoriteSpecial Features:
- great servicecalifgalVIPDined on 10/1/2014we were the only table dining. perhaps because it was only 6 pm on a wednesday? by the time we left at 7:15 there was just one other table occupied. our waitress was delightful and the food while not extraordinary, was good. i would return.
- Pre-opera dinner.MaggieHeartDined on 9/27/2014There three of us ladies dining at Indigo on a Saturday night. We received a nice welcome and speedy service as we wanted to make the pre-opera talk as well as the opera. Each of us ordered the fish dishes: salmon and swordfish. All three of us enjoyed the preparations, moist and flavorful fish with seasonal and tasty vegetable accompaniments. It was perfect, satisfying and healthful. Each of us enjoyed a by the glass red, which arrived quickly at the start of our meal.Special Features:
- Indigo merits attentionSaraEDined on 9/23/2014We were offered a booth in the back corner (seats <6 comfortably and offers some noise protection). Range of menu choices: salmon, swordfish, chicken, pork or beef tenderloin & more, with delicious-sounding accompaniments; tempted by prix fixe dinner @$30. No corkage on 1st bottle. Opted for roast chicken w/cannellini beans & the beef tenderloin, seared, served medium rare w/flavorful creamy mashed potatoes & fresh green beans. Started w/roasted asparagus/ arugula salad & shaved parmesan. Shared the apple crostada w/dulce de leche ice cream & the dark chocolate cake w/minted strawberries & vanilla bean ice cream. The place empties before theater/opera; go sometime when you're not hurrying off; enjoy the good service and the quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good pre-opera choicePaloAltoVIPDined on 9/23/2014In the Civic Center - War Memorial neighborhood, this restaurant caters to the before-show crowd for dinners. Decor is OK not elegant, cocktails were very tasty. Food was good, well prepared and presented. Our only observation was that there were 2 waitpersons only for the entire restaurant and they were obviously stretched thin and harrassed as they ran all around the place trying to keep up. While they kept up their positive attitude, the stress level was obvious and the restaurant would be better served by adding more staff.
- DisappointingMackVIPDined on 9/23/2014My wife and I have enjoyed dining at Indigo for many years but on our last occasion, two nights ago, it all ended with absolutely awful service. I guess everyone's entitled to one boo-boo. Our server must have been the new kid on the block. He was definately a hipster in demeanor and language - meaning way too casual for a nice restaurant (more suited for Clown Alley). He appeared bewildered by his responsibilities and had to be asked repeatedly to perform the most routine server activities (clearing used menus, wine glasses, serving more water, clearing plates from the table - on and on). Without naming him in this review, when you dine there, ask for a table attended to by a female, thus won't be disappointed in the meal or service.
- Fab Food, Great Pre-Theater FindmickadoodledoDined on 9/20/2014Four of us came up from the south bay looking for great food, reasonable prices and a nice wine list -- where we could get dinner before a show at the Orpheum and still easily walk to the Theater after dinner (eliminate need to re-park or take cabs). Indigo delivered. The White Corn soup was a very nice surprise. Salmon in Coconut Curry and and the Roasted Chicken with white bean & pesto salad were notable. The salad with nectarines and goat cheese was beautiful and well presented. l felt we had superior selections. Service was a tad slow; they may have been one man down. Recommend reservations. At 6:30 it started to get crowded -- with people going to 8pm shows.Special Features:
- Pre-symphony indigoannajakDined on 9/20/2014Food was very good, comparably priced to other local good-quality restaurants. Fixed price was good. Swordfish was very good. Salad excellent.Special Features: