687 McAllister St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.indigorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4156739353x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, and Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Michael Whang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer various party platters in addition to our ala carte menu
- Private Party Facilities: We offer many options for private dining and receptions. Our Private Dining Room holds 14, or Wine Cellar Table holds 8, our Restaurant holds up to 80 and our Crimson Lounge is perfect for cocktail parties for 20-100 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael 415-673-9353 8883906741
- Entertainment: Satellite Radio with 100 stations
- Special Events: Dining in the Dark, Crimson Lounge
A word from Indigo
Indigo offers an exciting California - New American menu featuring the best quality local and seasonal ingredients. Their Ten-Time Wine Spectator Award wine list offers many value oriented wines as well as hard to find gems. They also have NO Corkage Fee! The setting is warm, comfortable and elegant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Indigo reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (81)fit for foodies (47)special occasion (40)romantic (20)notable wine list (15)good for groups (10)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Reliably goodJuanPoeVIPDined on 8/9/2014What's not to like? Good food, great service, quiet enough for conversation, and no corkage fee for the first bottle of wine.
- laderaDined on 8/8/2014We first found Indigo when we were looking for a meal before the Opera, but since then we have been back a number of times and have brought friends and family. The food is delicious and thoughtfully paired with wine selections. The wait staff is always impeccable. It is easy to find parking and easy to walk from Indigo to Opera/symphony/Jazz Center/etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before the show - any showCalOVIPDined on 7/31/2014We were heading to one of the theaters in the area and got an early seating at Indigo. I had the chicken and wife had the salmon. Both well prepared and delicious. They cater to the show crowd very well. I would and did recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before theaterMareDined on 7/31/2014Prior to attending an event at the Nourse Theater we had a lovely dinner at Indigo. The cream of corn soup was delicious as a starter. I enjoyed a delicious salmon dish while my husband had the swordfish, which he thoroughly enjoyed. We shared the espresso panna cotta dessert.....scrumptious! Nice wine selection as well.Special Features:
- Another happy experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014We love Indigo before the Symphony! Vegetarian pasta, corn soup, scallop salad, banana almond cake all delicious. Prix fixe a great bargain. Service is impeccable. Particularly liked that staff waited to clear dishes from a course until everyone had finished that course. Always a great meal and pleasant experience at Indigo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good ExperienceJeffmDined on 7/24/2014We enjoyed our food very much. Delicious fish, soup and salads. The dinning room is very charming. The wait staff was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as the first timeSiouxellenDined on 7/19/2014Actually we were a little disappointed. This was our 4th time dinning here and none of our dinners were as good as the first time. The filet was just OK and the swordfish was a little bit rubbery although flavorful with the veggies on top. We split the pear salad and they were happy to substitute blue cheese for the feta. We appreciated that. My husband and I agree that the best part of the meal was the warm apple crisp type dessert with maple ice cream on top - it was superb! The service was very good probably in part because there were not many diners, especially for a Saturday night. We will give this another try because we love the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Pre-show satisfactionMinnieDined on 7/17/2014Great place for before a show. Great value for SF dining. Ahi appetizer was yummy, as was the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK for the theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/17/2014Not as god as prior visits. Scallops were tasty, salmon with coconut curry was bland. Nothing was wrong just didn't feel interesting. Desserts were uninspiring so we didn't even order.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a good pre-concert siteAnonymousIVDined on 7/12/2014I was on a more complicated schedule than usual for this meal. Everyone did much to smooth the way for me. Such attentiveness should always be recognized. The only problem was too much salt in the vegetarian penne. It did not give the other ingredients a chance to "speak for themselves."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tuna tartartunatartarloverDined on 7/11/2014go frequently before opera, ballet, or symphony and always order the tuna tartar + one other small plate. Never go away unhappy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigo, what a great find.BobbiDined on 7/9/2014Such a nice place to eat before the SF Opera. The food is always good, and the no corkage fee policy is wonderful.Indigo is quite the find when attending the Opera, Symphony or ballet.
- Acceptable Pre-Show RestaurantmonfrankDined on 7/5/2014The decor felt a bit tired but the food was really quite good. This is a convenient place to dine before going to the opera.
- Best Opera/ Symphony Pre=diningLeeamDined on 7/3/2014The food is first rate. We split salmon which was cooked just right and nicely presented. The grilled asparagus salad made a big hit with the ladies. The service was cheerful and prompt so we got to the opera on on time. The complimentary corkage on the first bottle of wine is always appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another happy birthday party!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2014Every time we have tickets for the SF Symphony, Indigo is our go-to spot for a wonderful meal before the show. This year coincided with a birthday celebration made all the happier by great food and attentive service. The prix fixe dinners are a bargain. A special place for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xyzfoodDined on 7/1/2014Good food and great place to go before the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueYummyDined on 7/1/2014Well located, close to Opera House and Symphony Hall. Excellent service. Limited menu but food is always reliably good. Considering the quality, the prices are surprisingly, reasonably low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for pre-symphony or operaMartinigirlDined on 6/28/2014It's a great spot for pre-show dinner. The prix fixe menu is a bargain at $35 for 3 courses! The main room gets loud but the back room is quiet. You can also eat at the bar which is a nice cooler option in the summer! Some things didn't work well like the citrus harissa scallops which I thought clashed, but the filet of beef was well executed and the serving staff very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hurry up, the opera's starting.JamsDined on 6/27/2014A pre opera hot spot, Indigo provides the best dining within walking distal to the War opera house. Although they have the opera crowd cornered, they don't put much effort into keeping it that way. Maybe the addition of some menu items that can be prepared in less time?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for pre opera diningGabyDined on 6/26/2014Very close to opera house. Good menu and food nicely prepared. Prices good for s.f.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Opera mealwarmspringslocalVIPDined on 6/26/2014Perfect location for a nice meal prior to the opera or any other event near City Hall. My salmon was cooked perfectly and they were flexible about changing out the potatoes on the dish for the white beans, which was nice. I was also sharing an asparagus salad with another diner; the kitchen split it for us at no extra charge. My husband had the 3 course prix fixed meal (pork tenderloin), also well prepared. Our server was not attentive though - we had to ask again for our wine and also dessert after ordering. Ask for a table in the main dining room when you make your reservation as tables close to the door on the bar side are less desireable. Corkage on the 1st bottle of wine is free and only $10 per bottle after that - a nice bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MINTDined on 6/25/2014Wonderful spot. Went pre-Opera but go anytime. Fabulous Chef who appears w warmth to greet guests! Adult spot, romantic for two or groups of 4-5 couples. Very nice ambiance. We would go to any meal offered. Delicious! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoniDined on 6/24/2014A quiet restaurant with excellent choices well prepared close to the Symphony and Opera. Good choice for conversation with tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it wasrabbitVIPDined on 6/22/2014I wrote a review saying that I had the best pork loin and polenta I had ever had here. This week I ordered it again. The results were quite different. The pork was overcooked to dry. The polenta was not creamy as before but also dry and clumped together. I have never seen the restaurant as empty as it was this evening; there were only 4 tables in use.
- Always outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/21/2014Everything here is done just right. Every time. Top quality ingredients, impeccably prepared. If not ordering a bottle, try the suggested wine pairings. You will not go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre opera spotBobmDined on 6/21/2014Excellent healthy menu choices, good cocktails, great service and 2 blocks from opera. Parked right by it with meter which stops at 6:00pm. Will definitely go again when attending events.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigo is OK Worth the price???????OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/21/2014Simple, tasty cooking, set piece meals an okey deal, wine by the glass to expensive; service excellent. Overall: too much money for just okey dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor attention to detailKeithDined on 6/20/2014Each fault was not bad unto itself, the to have all of them occur during the same visit was far more than just a coincidence. There was one plate missing for bread for a table for two; the pepper grinder was empty, it was difficult to get the waitress' attention to remedy any of these problems, the water glass went empty for the majority of the meal during a warm day, and the desert came with no spoons to eat them with. In addition, we had requested a window seat, but was not warned by the waitress that it would get extremely warm in the afternoon. She offered to relocate us when it was apparent that it was too warm, but by them the meal was almost over.
- Summer doldrums?OliverVIPDined on 6/20/2014Only so-so this time...kitchen must have been disorganized, as my companion's main dish arrived without one key ingredient, and the green bean side dish I had ordered was late and, frankly, tired and boring. The server (who was not the one who delivered our meal) was quick to remedy the omission from my companion's plate. The green beans really were sad, as this is peak season in the Bay Area for this legume, and a good preparation is so simple. Summer doldrums? I hope...
- consistent and convenientpgggDined on 6/20/2014This is a conveniently located, well-established location for pre-theatre dining. Consistent, not overwhelming but would visit again for the basics. They do a very nice job splitting plates for a share meal (we enjoyed 2 apps, 1 salad and 1 main). The asparagus could have been blanched, but nice starter, the steak was delicious, perfectly prepared with very flavorful sides. My sister and I enjoyed our dinner before a concert and would likely go again if the opportunity presented.Special Features:
- Good choice for Civic Center Areaout2dinnerDined on 6/19/2014Indigo is easily accessible for dinner before the Opera, Symphony and other entertainment in the Civic Center area. Food was good and the service excellent. There is a pre fixe choice and the prices are reasonable for the area.Special Features:
- Good for pre-show/opera/symphonyilk2Dined on 6/19/2014Around the corner from the opera house, entry is inconspicuous. Once inside the place is hopping. back room is quieter, but a touch isolated. seats were comfortable. Full bar- my martini was great, wine list was fine. Everyone's food came out hot, and service was fast. This restaurant is tooled up for the pre-show dinner trade, and the menu reflects that, yet nothing we ate tasted rushed. Kitchen and servers were excellent. All in all, no complaints, we will return.Special Features:
- What a FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014This is the second time we have dined at Indigo and the second time we have been thoroughly impressed. The food is really amazing and the service could not be better, very professional and friendly. The ambiance is pleasant and you can actually have a conversion at the table and hear each other. All 4 of us were extremely happy with dinner and cleaned our plates. We even shared a couple of desserts which were also delicious. It truly is one of our favorite restaurants in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDogladyVIPDined on 6/14/2014We've eaten here for several years as it is often one of the only places available before an opera -- everything else getting booked up early. The food has been good, if not great, in the past. This meal was really poor. Both the fish and the pasta had the same vegetables and tasted the same. It's as if the chef had only red bell pepper, mushrooms, etc. In this season of plenty, the food did not reflect the diversity available. The vegetables were unevenly cooked -- some too undercooked to be enjoyable. Even the desserts did not show the bounty available.
- CliffDined on 6/13/2014One of the best choices for dinner before an event at the symphony or opera. Food is very good. Ambience is excellent and noise level permits good conversation. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014My favorite pre-performance restaurant in the Civic Center area. Consistent good food and great service. They always get you out in time for the 8 o'clock curtain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Pre-Opera Spotdinnerat6Dined on 6/13/2014We had been worried about the time factor (6 PM res. for 8 PM curtain) but service was almost too swift! The runners were great, made all the difference. The last time we were at Indigo we were seated in the main dining room and felt squashed. It seems that they have opened up that main room; in any event, this time we were seated in a lovely little back room which was private and quiet. We appreciated the limited menu of a nice balance and variety of dishes --interesting and honest.
- Meals arrived before the wine!BioMaryDined on 6/13/2014While the location is good for attending the opera or symphony the food was unimpressive. But here's what really "earned" the two stars. We ordered dinner and were debating about wine. The bottle we had selected was available for a taste which our server offered and I appreciated. Once the taste arrived we decided not to order that bottle and needed some time to make another selection. We did that but then our meals arrived shortly there after and before the wine! That never should have happened. The server should have coordinated with the kitchen and had our meals delayed.
- a good restaurant for theatre area.anonymousVIPDined on 6/13/2014the server was very nice, and quick to respond.. the food was just ok..the asparagus salad was delicious, ahi tuna was a bit bland.. the steak was ok, and the green beans were too al dente…Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-opera standoutOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/13/2014We go to Indigo regularly pre-opera and love it. It is very high value, with wonderful, fresh food, with a prix fixe option and wine pairings if you choose to follow them. Service is friendly, helpful and prompt - and with many theatergoers there, dinner moves right along (but nicely - you are not rushed) so you don't have to worry about being late to a performance. The SF Opera House is two blocks away.Special Features: