1536 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/indigogrill
- Phone: 6192346802x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner served nightly starting at 5pm. Sunday & Monday till 9pm, Tuesday through Saturday till 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Deborah Scott
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available. Please call and ask for Jason or go to indigogrill.com for more info.
- Private Party Facilities: Offer pre-set menus with limited menu. Weekend and weekday price ranges will differ.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations 6192346802x
A word from Indigo Grill
Enjoy a warm vibe with shared courses, main dishes and a full creative bar. An inviting atmosphere where family and new friends can congregate. A warm and rustic feeling with ritual and spiritual undertones.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Indigo Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (87)neighborhood gem (72)hot spot (51)great for outdoor dining (43)special occasion (43)good for groups (38)vibrant bar scene (28)late-night find (25)romantic (21)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- An Updated Indigo GrillphylVIPDined on 10/21/2014Indigo Grill reopened in late July and it took us awhile to get back there. The remodel is great and they left some of our favorites on the menu as well as adding new options. Service was wonderful and the food as good as ever! We highly recommend.Special Features:
- Little Italy GemJeepDined on 10/20/2014With no shortage of restaurants in Little Italy, Indigo ranks right up there. Great food, friendly atmosphere - went back again the next day.Special Features:
- Never will returnJMCFDined on 10/18/2014The remodel makes the restaurant unusually noisy, cannot hear each other or the server. Our Server gave us strange comments and answers to the questions we were asking, but we assumed he could not hear us. (party of 5 at 6:30 Saturday October 18) The food was fair to ok, and when they boxed up my leftovers, I did not get the entire dinner back. The change of food items on the menu was disappointing and more expensive. We will not return.Special Features:
- Remodeled, renewed, and differentLustForFoodDined on 10/18/2014Follows trend of anything and everything on flatbread or on some type of board. Food arrives hot, no delays. High quality protein, but expensive. Way too loud for dining. It's a place to see and be seen.Special Features:
- Still remodeling serviceNikita1569VIPDined on 10/17/2014This was one of my favorite restaurants so I was looking forward to checking out the remodel. The decor and ambiance did not disappoint, the restaurant looks great! However, the service is not nearly at the level it used to be. We had a reservation and we still had to wait 20 mins for our table, which never happened before. We asked for some more flatbread with our appetizers, but it never appeared. Twice during our meal a waiter brought items meant for another table. The food was amazing though, we ordered a mix of classics such as the Brie and corn pudding, and new items such as the ceviche. Everything was delicious. I hope the service improves to catch up with the new menu and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs up from start to finishThumbsupDined on 10/11/2014Starting with the Brie, Skirts on Fire for the main, and to finish Cheesecake Tower. Wow!!! All very good, can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Great food, excellent service.onebadscientistDined on 10/10/2014American Latin Fusion is what I would call their food. Definitely has that farm to table feel as well. Everything is fresh. Great flavors. Service was excellent and some of the best I have had in a long time. You got the feeling that people were focused and enjoyed their jobs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- life changing, lolOxshawDined on 10/4/2014They have the best food I've eaten at a restaurant, my Wife and I had a great time. We both enjoyed meeting the Chef and the staff.Special Features:
- Great FoodkimbroganDined on 10/2/2014We went for an evening out and had the crusted brie to start. If you haven't had this, it's worth every penny of the $14. You get warm brie crusted in pepper accompanied by jalapeno pepper jelly, roasted garlic cloves, and pieces of bread. It's very delicious. I had the mushroom pasta, but wasn't as impressed with it as I was with my husband's dish, the cod. We both enjoyed our main meals and the deserts. I had churros with Mexican hot chocolate. We sat on the patio and enjoyed the warm October air. Indigo Grill recently renovated its restaurant and it looks only slightly different, but the funky tree (which I liked) is gone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos!!!!ArtistkayVIPDined on 10/1/2014Indigo Grill has always been my favorite restaurant, so it was with trepidation that I learned of the new menu. However, I can say Indigo Grill is still my favorite restaurant!!! The menu has such a variety that anyone would be happy. I would suggest a change to the house red.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like spicy....RussDined on 9/28/2014Indigo Grill provides a variety of both spicy and non spicy (but very good) fare. The beef tips were especially good; the bucket of chicken has a mix of flavors on a bed of cole slaw; the churros were more than one could expect. My wife had the rock cod and Flan and really enjoyed both.Special Features:
- Excellent and fun food!!GoodEatsDined on 9/27/2014Chef Jason Maitland menu is fantastic!!! Servers were very attentive, detailed, and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FJoeDined on 9/27/2014The menu was interesting but I preferred the food from the previous menu.
- Tries to hard to be edgyBBinSDDined on 9/26/2014So it was overall a pleasant dining experience though, it seems like it wants to be something akin to asian/latin fusion. The poblano roasted con bisque was excellent and had that set a consistent tone for the meal it would've been a very satisfying experience. Sadly waitstaff by committee led to us getting someone else's food dropped off by a food runner, who we corrected as he was setting it down. He took it to another table 3 away. All good, then second course was an asian tasting bucket of fried chicken with a slaw type salad that tasted like it had rice wine vinegar that as I consumed the garnish/slaw turned out to be a puddle of liquid in the wrapper inside the bucket. Overall chicken was good, but had a buttermilk dill sauce.Special Features:
- Great menu, service, locationthatsoundsgoodDined on 9/26/2014Went to Indigo Grill during SD Restaurant Week with friends and we all ordered something different off the menu. Each plate was tasty, fresh, and abundant. The drinks were refreshing though some could've used an extra splash. We sat on the patio and enjoyed people watching and the fresh air. Their recent remodel has given the restaurant a great new look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just "OK"- not as good as old menufluteplayer610Dined on 9/26/2014Indigo Grill has typically been one of my favorites. I love Deborah Scott's recipes. However, I went recently and was disappointed. I like the new décor, the vibe, and the large variety of local beers; but the food is not as good as the old menu. It was just "ok." I ordered the bucket of chicken and it was literally a bucket with chicken in it. Kind of dry and nothing spectacular in spite of the brining and marinating it supposedly had. I guess I was expecting something more. I just now asked my husband what he had (we were there less than 2 days ago) and he said he can't remember. I think that says it all. It just wasn't very memorable. Unfortunately, I think we will need to find a new favorite place to go.Special Features:
- lost it's lusterfrequentdinerDined on 9/25/2014In spite of the hoopla over the remodel, the experience did not live up to our expectations. We have made a point of visiting Indigo any time we were in Sand Diego and often referred it to others. This visit, the food was mediocre, at best. Service was unremarkable. We thought the options from the restaurant week specials would be good (aren't they trying to showcase their best?), but the flavors were bland.
- Unique foodGT81VIPDined on 9/24/2014I like the new appearance after their renovation. Dined here during San Diego Restaurant Week. Unfortunately for me, two out of the three starters, and all three entrée selections were spicy.Special Features:
- Disappointingfood4thinkDined on 9/21/2014nothing about this place is great. I've been here twice and come away unstatisifed with the food and service. It has a great location. I was hoping the renovations would have helped improve the restaurant, but they did not.
- Changed MenuDinerSamDined on 9/21/2014I am not as fond of the new menu as I was the old. The salad looked better than it tasted. All my old favorites are no longer on the menu.
- Great spot in Little ItalyBillsmirnDined on 9/21/2014The food is consustently good. Thae waitress was friendly and gave us great suggestions. Great beer list. Will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJamaykan1Dined on 9/20/2014Fantastic food and great service! Also, the Habenero Sculpin is the best craft beer around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- starsDined on 9/20/2014It was our first time at this restaurant and it made a lasting impression. The space is nicely decorated, it has a relaxed atmosphere and the service is first rate. The three of us shared everything we ordered and we all agree that each dish was excellent. Very tasty and beautifully presented. Congratulations Indigo Grill! We will definitely be back and recomand it to all our friends.Special Features:
- eclectic menukb722Dined on 9/15/2014The food and service at Indigo Grill were both awesome! We sat at the bar, and Rico served us. He gave great and honest recommendations as to food size and what the items consisted of. We loved everything, particularly the Ahi Tostada! I'd go back there by myself just for one of those!Special Features:
- indigo goodnessOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Have been here a few times.the food is eclectic and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigo GrillKenShanDined on 9/12/2014We chose Indigo Grill as we'd been there once before several years ago and enjoyed it. The menu was a bit overwhelming for both food and drinks but we had a very patient and excellent server who told us all we needed to know. We ended up doing a couple of small plate items and a salad so we could share and try them all. The Kale and Quinoa salad and the "board" were excellent! We also decided on a rice dish that was heated and prepared tableside and that was the only downfall of the meal. It was a hot night, the restaurant was too warm and then a stone bowl arrived at the table with boiling liquid inside. Overall, it's a great place but not something we'd do on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Great ReBoot!SDDinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014First time since the remodel and menu, redo loved it! Hard to chose what to eat, everything sounded great and our choices worked. We had skewers, queso fundido, Archer White Belgian beer and a glass of something lovely with bubbles. Nice, attentive service, loved the redone sidewalk seating. Congrats to Indigo Grill, we will be back!Special Features:
- Not sure I like the new menuFromChicagoDined on 9/11/2014What I enjoyed on several previous visits has been replaced by tapas-styled fare. I didn't understand my seviche that had both the required citrus component...but with sweetened condensed milk or similar; the roasted hominy didn't belong. My most favorite dessert, a molten cake, was off the menu. We opted for rice pudding brülée...which lacked the richness I anticipated with the pudding part. Our server was more than patient in explaining the menu items.
- mikeeDined on 9/9/2014wonderful, eclectic food. Fusion style with quite a few unique combinations and styles. Ahi ribs unique and tasty. Upscale pork rinds! Can go small plates and bigger entrees as desired. Server was extremely knowledgeable and informative. Great experience and would go back to try other dishesSpecial Features:
- Love the remodelbrittx92384Dined on 9/6/2014I didn't love Indigo Grill prior to the remodel (those most people I know did) but I really enjoyed my experience at Indigo Grill this week after the remodel. They had some of their best previous dishes and also a lot of new and exotic dishes as well. Their pisco sours were also amazing and it was great for a group of us!Special Features:
- Dinner at the Indigo GrillFormerBigFanDined on 9/3/2014We used to Love the old Indigo Grill. We hoped the new restaurant would be just as good. We were a bit disappointed. First, the food was great! But the appetizers were very small. I'd rather pay a bit more & get more. The Queso Fundido was good, but the $14 price point was very high. Reading the menu was extremely challenging, the light seemed to be too low. My wife had to use her iPhone flashlight with her glasses to attempt to read it. We always tell all our friends about the Cohn family restaurants & how great they are. But this seemed to fall short for us. This WAS our "go to" spot for appetizers before we'd hit the concerts downtown. Now it's not.Special Features:
- Not Sure I am WowedSchmooVIPDined on 9/1/2014I am not sure about the new menu... it's quirky - with alot of spice and a lot of funky textures but not sure it is up to Deborah's best at Kemo Sabe in the past. Still miss that restaurant. The "tapas type of sharing menu is ok but I didn't see a lot of things I like on this new menu. Loved the interior and great service but food and menu was 2 stars only.Special Features:
- Redo is FANTASTIC!BlythelDined on 9/1/2014Indigo Grill has been completely redone. Let me be the first to say that I was far from a fan of the old menu and ambiance. This redo brings the restaurant back to a true Deborah Scott restaurant where the food is as fantastic in its own way as it was back in the day when she was running Kemo Sabe. The menu is South American with a few other things thrown in. Go with people and share tons of the tapas so you can try a lot. I've been twice and never had anything bad, but highlights include crostinos (farm egg!), bibimbap, antichucos (chicken, beef & pork belly), sopa de lima and the ceasar. They also have a full bar in addition to wine and its best to make a reservation so you get the comfy seats. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unintelligible MenuOneGourmetDined on 8/29/2014We were looking forward to returning to the Indigo Grill after the remodeling of the restaurant. The remodeling has been nicely done. The arrangement of space is much improved although we thought that they would have more booths instead of less, but the outside patio is wonderful. The main dining room was so noisy with music blaring that we could not carry a conversation with our guests and asked to move outside which was much better. But the menu was unintelligible and we could not get much help from the waitress about the contents of the various items. They need to explain the menu better. Our order was also messed up when we requested two skewers, but the food was well prepared and tasty.Special Features:
- Change is not always for the betterDaleVIPDined on 8/26/2014Indigo Grill was always on my go to list but it has now changed. The new decor is great and much better than before, the service was great as usual. Those are the only reasons this got 3 stars. The food and menu would have only rated 2 stars at best. The menu itself is difficult to read and understand, the options are odd to say the least and most of what made me want to go there is now gone. While what I had was okay - not great - it was not what would make me want to go back. Even the waitress had a hard time explaining the menu and several of the options. There are a lot of great eating establishments in San Diego and sadly this one has now fallen from the list of places on my list.
- Share everything!AnneDDined on 8/24/2014Most Cohn restaurants are good but this one is especially good for its variety. Food comes out whenever it's ready, so it's perfect for sharing and gabbing and nibbling until you are satisfied. Pig ears were surprisingly tasty and tender. Pork belly, too. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- OMG!ArtistkayVIPDined on 8/23/2014What was once my favorite restaurant has become my AB FAB favorite restaurant!! I don't know why I worried about the changes....everything is just terrific. Chef Jason Maitland has done a fine job with the new menu. The skewers are excellent....I couldn't eat all my meal and just warmed up the chicken skewer tonight for dinner. Who eats leftover chicken? Well, this was delicious. I can't wait to go back again and again to try everything on the menu!!!!! Thank you Deb Scott and the Cohn Family.Special Features:
- Food not as goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014I didn't realize the new format was family style dishes, and had my heart set on one of my old factories anyway, the flat iron steak. I ordered it and was very disappointed. I had expected it to be the same, since it was billed as one of the classics from the older format, but this time it tasted more like steak fajitas. I didn't care for it and was bummed to have wasted a rare dinner away from the kids on a blah meal.
- Missing the old menuranchogrlVIPDined on 8/22/2014The menu is now Peruvian, skimpy on the portions and exaggerated in price. I desperately miss the old Indigo menu. Unfortunately I won't be returning, the food is just not worth it.Special Features:
- Indigo Grill RevisitedsansanDined on 8/22/2014This was our first trip back to Indigo Grill after its remodel and revamping of menu. Needless to say, I liked the old Indigo Grill's menu better. Our first course sharing of small plates were good...roasted peaches and beef filet. The break down came with our second course. Arugula and Quinoa Salad was downright bad...too much oil so you tasted nothing else. Korean bowl was a great concept, but just too much rice and not enough of other stuff considering the cost and our steak entree was good on the steak and just a heap of potatoes with a spattering of roasted carrots. No flavor and coloring like Indigo previous menu steak dish. We use to come here quite a bit...not sure if we will make the drive from Oceanside anymore.