1536 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/indigogrill
- Phone: (619) 234-6802
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner served nightly starting at 5pm. Sunday & Monday till 9pm, Tuesday through Saturday till 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Deborah Scott
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available. Please call and ask for Jason or go to indigogrill.com for more info.
- Private Party Facilities: Offer pre-set menus with limited menu. Weekend and weekday price ranges will differ.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations 6192346802x
A word from Indigo Grill
Enjoy a warm vibe with shared courses, main dishes and a full creative bar. An inviting atmosphere where family and new friends can congregate. A warm and rustic feeling with ritual and spiritual undertones.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Indigo Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (84)neighborhood gem (70)hot spot (48)great for outdoor dining (47)special occasion (44)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (27)romantic (23)late-night find (16)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Outstanding eatery in San Diego's Little Italy.SoCalCoupleDined on 11/22/2014Little Italy in San Diego has a thriving restaurant scene. India Street is the epicenter, and it just pulses with cool energy. Indigo is an eclectic eatery with a cool vibe and excellent food. Our server, Miguel, was attentive, friendly, knowledgeable, and truly interested in our dining experience. We'll definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a date nightSMSnackerDined on 11/20/2014My wife and I came here on a date night before seeing a show. I had the pork shank which was tender and flavorful. My wife had the flat iron steak which she said was delicious. Service was attentive and the atmosphere was cool. Dessert was outstanding, we split the churros (best I ever had) and the stacked cheese cake. My wife said this is her new favorite Cohn restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/17/2014love the upscale decor change...service was excellent alwaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014THe food is good,, like all cohen restaraunts, unfortrunately the redesign meets the new trend of being load, and in it impossible to have a quiet romantic dinner with something. The new acoustic create so much noise it is difficult to hear a partner. Great place for a group gathering of loud obnoxious types, but not for me in the future. Noise level is beyone "enegetic."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Chicken kabob overlooked. Pork kabob precooked and reheated insufficiently.
- Nice ReinventionRyewhiskeyDined on 11/8/2014I've been coming to Indigo Grill since they first opened about 20 yrs ago in their first location up the street. It's been nice to see this restaurant (who was ahead of it's time way back then) again reinvent themselves. The floorplan is much more functional and open with a very fun vibe. Also it has a more casual and loungy feel. The interior design is quite impressive to say the least. And the new menu appeals to all with smaller bites or their traditional large meals. I really enjoyed returning here to experience The new Indigo. All of our plates were delicious!Special Features:
- Corn pudding to die forWildBillDined on 11/7/2014I had the BBQ ribs which were okay but the corn pudding was out of this world. Nice place but I would not recommend for a special occasion...not very romantic. This was our 2 year anniversary. Will go back for "date nights" howeverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceDeevaDined on 11/6/2014Perfect place to chill with friends. Eclectic menu, but I loved the variety. All was good. Definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu has changedDinnerMeetingDined on 11/6/2014My boss was a bit disappointed because many of the menu items that she has loved in the past were no longer being offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after Menu Make-overLiveBigDined on 11/1/2014Our 1st time back since the remodel. We almost didn't because of a couple of reviews claiming too noisy to think. We didn't find it ANY louder than the old Indigo (it was Sat at 7:00p). A little hard to decipher exactly what the dish will be like on the appetizer/pequenos part. Entrees are more self-explanatory. Generally large portions. Every appetizer board could be shared by four for a good taste. Amazing selection of mostly local draft beers/ales. Lots to explore on this inventive menu. Recommend as great tastes, good value, and excellent service will make for an enjoyable outing. ps use their $9 valet. A former large parking lot two blocks down the hill is now closed.Special Features:
- Very original restaurantMontereyDined on 10/29/2014Went to the old Indigo a year ago and liked it so returned to try the new incarnation. Menu just as original with a few of the old favourites - food in generous servings & really good. Service friendly & knowledgeable but we clashed with a big group booking which delayed the mains. New decor works - but I don't know why! All in all a worthwhile visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better before....shvonneatehereDined on 10/27/2014Sadly, this restaurant has been overhauled and I don't think it was needed. I miss the old menu and ambience. It used to be my favorite place in San Diego but the new menu was unremarkable. I miss the old selections - Pork Porterhouse w chipotle mash potatoes especially. The crusted brie used to have such a beautiful presentation and now it just comes out looking like a large cheese stick from TGIFridays. The servers also used to describe the dishes emphatically and really get into the wine selections. This time they just cruised by to take orders and say the standard "Everything tasting ok here?". It was just average. Which is exactly what it didn't used to be. =(Special Features:
- Too hip?WheelsDined on 10/25/2014Great ambience, great location. We had a terrible server. This was our first time and it was an interesting menu. It would be good for someone with a light appetite because the $13-16 small plates looked very interesting, albeit small It'd be a great place for appetizers and expensive drinks or a very expensive Latin gourmet dinner. I am middle income with a mortgage and this would definitely be a special occasion kind of place, but only if I wanted ethnic and spicy. We had a buy one, get one free and it still was over $100 with tax and tip and two glasses of wine (one per person) and that was on happy hour! Maybe I am still used to a nice meal costing less, but it is a Cohn Group restaurant. I will say it is a very creative menu.Special Features:
- Indigo Grill has been reinvented!pastamikeDined on 10/23/2014Incredible food. Literally everything we ordered was delicious. Great variety on the menu, very brave flavor combinations and a beautiful, relaxing environment. Welcome back, Indigo Grill. You've done it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Updated Indigo GrillphylVIPDined on 10/21/2014Indigo Grill reopened in late July and it took us awhile to get back there. The remodel is great and they left some of our favorites on the menu as well as adding new options. Service was wonderful and the food as good as ever! We highly recommend.Special Features:
- Little Italy GemJeepDined on 10/20/2014With no shortage of restaurants in Little Italy, Indigo ranks right up there. Great food, friendly atmosphere - went back again the next day.Special Features:
- Never will returnJMCFDined on 10/18/2014The remodel makes the restaurant unusually noisy, cannot hear each other or the server. Our Server gave us strange comments and answers to the questions we were asking, but we assumed he could not hear us. (party of 5 at 6:30 Saturday October 18) The food was fair to ok, and when they boxed up my leftovers, I did not get the entire dinner back. The change of food items on the menu was disappointing and more expensive. We will not return.Special Features:
- Remodeled, renewed, and differentLustForFoodDined on 10/18/2014Follows trend of anything and everything on flatbread or on some type of board. Food arrives hot, no delays. High quality protein, but expensive. Way too loud for dining. It's a place to see and be seen.Special Features:
- Still remodeling serviceNikita1569VIPDined on 10/17/2014This was one of my favorite restaurants so I was looking forward to checking out the remodel. The decor and ambiance did not disappoint, the restaurant looks great! However, the service is not nearly at the level it used to be. We had a reservation and we still had to wait 20 mins for our table, which never happened before. We asked for some more flatbread with our appetizers, but it never appeared. Twice during our meal a waiter brought items meant for another table. The food was amazing though, we ordered a mix of classics such as the Brie and corn pudding, and new items such as the ceviche. Everything was delicious. I hope the service improves to catch up with the new menu and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs up from start to finishThumbsupDined on 10/11/2014Starting with the Brie, Skirts on Fire for the main, and to finish Cheesecake Tower. Wow!!! All very good, can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Great food, excellent service.onebadscientistDined on 10/10/2014American Latin Fusion is what I would call their food. Definitely has that farm to table feel as well. Everything is fresh. Great flavors. Service was excellent and some of the best I have had in a long time. You got the feeling that people were focused and enjoyed their jobs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- life changing, lolOxshawDined on 10/4/2014They have the best food I've eaten at a restaurant, my Wife and I had a great time. We both enjoyed meeting the Chef and the staff.Special Features:
- Great FoodkimbroganDined on 10/2/2014We went for an evening out and had the crusted brie to start. If you haven't had this, it's worth every penny of the $14. You get warm brie crusted in pepper accompanied by jalapeno pepper jelly, roasted garlic cloves, and pieces of bread. It's very delicious. I had the mushroom pasta, but wasn't as impressed with it as I was with my husband's dish, the cod. We both enjoyed our main meals and the deserts. I had churros with Mexican hot chocolate. We sat on the patio and enjoyed the warm October air. Indigo Grill recently renovated its restaurant and it looks only slightly different, but the funky tree (which I liked) is gone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos!!!!ArtistkayVIPDined on 10/1/2014Indigo Grill has always been my favorite restaurant, so it was with trepidation that I learned of the new menu. However, I can say Indigo Grill is still my favorite restaurant!!! The menu has such a variety that anyone would be happy. I would suggest a change to the house red.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like spicy....RussDined on 9/28/2014Indigo Grill provides a variety of both spicy and non spicy (but very good) fare. The beef tips were especially good; the bucket of chicken has a mix of flavors on a bed of cole slaw; the churros were more than one could expect. My wife had the rock cod and Flan and really enjoyed both.Special Features:
- Excellent and fun food!!GoodEatsDined on 9/27/2014Chef Jason Maitland menu is fantastic!!! Servers were very attentive, detailed, and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FJoeDined on 9/27/2014The menu was interesting but I preferred the food from the previous menu.
- Tries to hard to be edgyBBinSDDined on 9/26/2014So it was overall a pleasant dining experience though, it seems like it wants to be something akin to asian/latin fusion. The poblano roasted con bisque was excellent and had that set a consistent tone for the meal it would've been a very satisfying experience. Sadly waitstaff by committee led to us getting someone else's food dropped off by a food runner, who we corrected as he was setting it down. He took it to another table 3 away. All good, then second course was an asian tasting bucket of fried chicken with a slaw type salad that tasted like it had rice wine vinegar that as I consumed the garnish/slaw turned out to be a puddle of liquid in the wrapper inside the bucket. Overall chicken was good, but had a buttermilk dill sauce.Special Features:
- Great menu, service, locationthatsoundsgoodDined on 9/26/2014Went to Indigo Grill during SD Restaurant Week with friends and we all ordered something different off the menu. Each plate was tasty, fresh, and abundant. The drinks were refreshing though some could've used an extra splash. We sat on the patio and enjoyed people watching and the fresh air. Their recent remodel has given the restaurant a great new look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just "OK"- not as good as old menufluteplayer610Dined on 9/26/2014Indigo Grill has typically been one of my favorites. I love Deborah Scott's recipes. However, I went recently and was disappointed. I like the new décor, the vibe, and the large variety of local beers; but the food is not as good as the old menu. It was just "ok." I ordered the bucket of chicken and it was literally a bucket with chicken in it. Kind of dry and nothing spectacular in spite of the brining and marinating it supposedly had. I guess I was expecting something more. I just now asked my husband what he had (we were there less than 2 days ago) and he said he can't remember. I think that says it all. It just wasn't very memorable. Unfortunately, I think we will need to find a new favorite place to go.Special Features:
- lost it's lusterfrequentdinerDined on 9/25/2014In spite of the hoopla over the remodel, the experience did not live up to our expectations. We have made a point of visiting Indigo any time we were in Sand Diego and often referred it to others. This visit, the food was mediocre, at best. Service was unremarkable. We thought the options from the restaurant week specials would be good (aren't they trying to showcase their best?), but the flavors were bland.
- Unique foodGT81VIPDined on 9/24/2014I like the new appearance after their renovation. Dined here during San Diego Restaurant Week. Unfortunately for me, two out of the three starters, and all three entrée selections were spicy.Special Features:
- Disappointingfood4thinkDined on 9/21/2014nothing about this place is great. I've been here twice and come away unstatisifed with the food and service. It has a great location. I was hoping the renovations would have helped improve the restaurant, but they did not.
- Changed MenuDinerSamDined on 9/21/2014I am not as fond of the new menu as I was the old. The salad looked better than it tasted. All my old favorites are no longer on the menu.
- Great spot in Little ItalyBillsmirnDined on 9/21/2014The food is consustently good. Thae waitress was friendly and gave us great suggestions. Great beer list. Will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJamaykan1Dined on 9/20/2014Fantastic food and great service! Also, the Habenero Sculpin is the best craft beer around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- starsDined on 9/20/2014It was our first time at this restaurant and it made a lasting impression. The space is nicely decorated, it has a relaxed atmosphere and the service is first rate. The three of us shared everything we ordered and we all agree that each dish was excellent. Very tasty and beautifully presented. Congratulations Indigo Grill! We will definitely be back and recomand it to all our friends.Special Features:
- eclectic menukb722Dined on 9/15/2014The food and service at Indigo Grill were both awesome! We sat at the bar, and Rico served us. He gave great and honest recommendations as to food size and what the items consisted of. We loved everything, particularly the Ahi Tostada! I'd go back there by myself just for one of those!Special Features:
- indigo goodnessOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Have been here a few times.the food is eclectic and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigo GrillKenShanDined on 9/12/2014We chose Indigo Grill as we'd been there once before several years ago and enjoyed it. The menu was a bit overwhelming for both food and drinks but we had a very patient and excellent server who told us all we needed to know. We ended up doing a couple of small plate items and a salad so we could share and try them all. The Kale and Quinoa salad and the "board" were excellent! We also decided on a rice dish that was heated and prepared tableside and that was the only downfall of the meal. It was a hot night, the restaurant was too warm and then a stone bowl arrived at the table with boiling liquid inside. Overall, it's a great place but not something we'd do on a regular basis.Special Features: