1536 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/indigogrill
- Phone: 6192346802x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner served nightly starting at 5pm. Sunday & Monday till 9pm, Tuesday through Saturday till 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Deborah Scott
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available. Please call and ask for Jason or go to indigogrill.com for more info.
- Private Party Facilities: Offer pre-set menus with limited menu. Weekend and weekday price ranges will differ.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations 6192346802x
A word from Indigo Grill
Enjoy a warm vibe with shared courses, main dishes and a full creative bar. An inviting atmosphere where family and new friends can congregate. A warm and rustic feeling with ritual and spiritual undertones.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Indigo Grill - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Indigo Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (78)neighborhood gem (64)hot spot (43)great for outdoor dining (36)special occasion (36)good for groups (33)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (24)romantic (18)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- If you like spicy....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014Indigo Grill provides a variety of both spicy and non spicy (but very good) fare. The beef tips were especially good; the bucket of chicken has a mix of flavors on a bed of cole slaw; the churros were more than one could expect. My wife had the rock cod and Flan and really enjoyed both.Special Features:
- Excellent and fun food!!GoodEatsDined on 9/27/2014Chef Jason Maitland menu is fantastic!!! Servers were very attentive, detailed, and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FJoeDined on 9/27/2014The menu was interesting but I preferred the food from the previous menu.
- Tries to hard to be edgyBBinSDDined on 9/26/2014So it was overall a pleasant dining experience though, it seems like it wants to be something akin to asian/latin fusion. The poblano roasted con bisque was excellent and had that set a consistent tone for the meal it would've been a very satisfying experience. Sadly waitstaff by committee led to us getting someone else's food dropped off by a food runner, who we corrected as he was setting it down. He took it to another table 3 away. All good, then second course was an asian tasting bucket of fried chicken with a slaw type salad that tasted like it had rice wine vinegar that as I consumed the garnish/slaw turned out to be a puddle of liquid in the wrapper inside the bucket. Overall chicken was good, but had a buttermilk dill sauce.Special Features:
- Great menu, service, locationthatsoundsgoodDined on 9/26/2014Went to Indigo Grill during SD Restaurant Week with friends and we all ordered something different off the menu. Each plate was tasty, fresh, and abundant. The drinks were refreshing though some could've used an extra splash. We sat on the patio and enjoyed people watching and the fresh air. Their recent remodel has given the restaurant a great new look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just "OK"- not as good as old menufluteplayer610Dined on 9/26/2014Indigo Grill has typically been one of my favorites. I love Deborah Scott's recipes. However, I went recently and was disappointed. I like the new décor, the vibe, and the large variety of local beers; but the food is not as good as the old menu. It was just "ok." I ordered the bucket of chicken and it was literally a bucket with chicken in it. Kind of dry and nothing spectacular in spite of the brining and marinating it supposedly had. I guess I was expecting something more. I just now asked my husband what he had (we were there less than 2 days ago) and he said he can't remember. I think that says it all. It just wasn't very memorable. Unfortunately, I think we will need to find a new favorite place to go.Special Features:
- lost it's lusterfrequentdinerDined on 9/25/2014In spite of the hoopla over the remodel, the experience did not live up to our expectations. We have made a point of visiting Indigo any time we were in Sand Diego and often referred it to others. This visit, the food was mediocre, at best. Service was unremarkable. We thought the options from the restaurant week specials would be good (aren't they trying to showcase their best?), but the flavors were bland.
- Unique foodGT81VIPDined on 9/24/2014I like the new appearance after their renovation. Dined here during San Diego Restaurant Week. Unfortunately for me, two out of the three starters, and all three entrée selections were spicy.Special Features:
- Disappointingfood4thinkDined on 9/21/2014nothing about this place is great. I've been here twice and come away unstatisifed with the food and service. It has a great location. I was hoping the renovations would have helped improve the restaurant, but they did not.
- Changed MenuDinerSamDined on 9/21/2014I am not as fond of the new menu as I was the old. The salad looked better than it tasted. All my old favorites are no longer on the menu.
- Great spot in Little ItalyBillsmirnDined on 9/21/2014The food is consustently good. Thae waitress was friendly and gave us great suggestions. Great beer list. Will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJamaykan1Dined on 9/20/2014Fantastic food and great service! Also, the Habenero Sculpin is the best craft beer around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- starsDined on 9/20/2014It was our first time at this restaurant and it made a lasting impression. The space is nicely decorated, it has a relaxed atmosphere and the service is first rate. The three of us shared everything we ordered and we all agree that each dish was excellent. Very tasty and beautifully presented. Congratulations Indigo Grill! We will definitely be back and recomand it to all our friends.Special Features:
- eclectic menukb722Dined on 9/15/2014The food and service at Indigo Grill were both awesome! We sat at the bar, and Rico served us. He gave great and honest recommendations as to food size and what the items consisted of. We loved everything, particularly the Ahi Tostada! I'd go back there by myself just for one of those!Special Features:
- indigo goodnessOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Have been here a few times.the food is eclectic and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigo GrillKenShanDined on 9/12/2014We chose Indigo Grill as we'd been there once before several years ago and enjoyed it. The menu was a bit overwhelming for both food and drinks but we had a very patient and excellent server who told us all we needed to know. We ended up doing a couple of small plate items and a salad so we could share and try them all. The Kale and Quinoa salad and the "board" were excellent! We also decided on a rice dish that was heated and prepared tableside and that was the only downfall of the meal. It was a hot night, the restaurant was too warm and then a stone bowl arrived at the table with boiling liquid inside. Overall, it's a great place but not something we'd do on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Great ReBoot!SDDinerDined on 9/11/2014First time since the remodel and menu, redo loved it! Hard to chose what to eat, everything sounded great and our choices worked. We had skewers, queso fundido, Archer White Belgian beer and a glass of something lovely with bubbles. Nice, attentive service, loved the redone sidewalk seating. Congrats to Indigo Grill, we will be back!Special Features:
- Not sure I like the new menuFromChicagoDined on 9/11/2014What I enjoyed on several previous visits has been replaced by tapas-styled fare. I didn't understand my seviche that had both the required citrus component...but with sweetened condensed milk or similar; the roasted hominy didn't belong. My most favorite dessert, a molten cake, was off the menu. We opted for rice pudding brülée...which lacked the richness I anticipated with the pudding part. Our server was more than patient in explaining the menu items.
- mikeeDined on 9/9/2014wonderful, eclectic food. Fusion style with quite a few unique combinations and styles. Ahi ribs unique and tasty. Upscale pork rinds! Can go small plates and bigger entrees as desired. Server was extremely knowledgeable and informative. Great experience and would go back to try other dishesSpecial Features:
- Love the remodelbrittx92384Dined on 9/6/2014I didn't love Indigo Grill prior to the remodel (those most people I know did) but I really enjoyed my experience at Indigo Grill this week after the remodel. They had some of their best previous dishes and also a lot of new and exotic dishes as well. Their pisco sours were also amazing and it was great for a group of us!Special Features:
- Dinner at the Indigo GrillFormerBigFanDined on 9/3/2014We used to Love the old Indigo Grill. We hoped the new restaurant would be just as good. We were a bit disappointed. First, the food was great! But the appetizers were very small. I'd rather pay a bit more & get more. The Queso Fundido was good, but the $14 price point was very high. Reading the menu was extremely challenging, the light seemed to be too low. My wife had to use her iPhone flashlight with her glasses to attempt to read it. We always tell all our friends about the Cohn family restaurants & how great they are. But this seemed to fall short for us. This WAS our "go to" spot for appetizers before we'd hit the concerts downtown. Now it's not.Special Features:
- Not Sure I am WowedSchmooVIPDined on 9/1/2014I am not sure about the new menu... it's quirky - with alot of spice and a lot of funky textures but not sure it is up to Deborah's best at Kemo Sabe in the past. Still miss that restaurant. The "tapas type of sharing menu is ok but I didn't see a lot of things I like on this new menu. Loved the interior and great service but food and menu was 2 stars only.Special Features:
- Redo is FANTASTIC!BlythelDined on 9/1/2014Indigo Grill has been completely redone. Let me be the first to say that I was far from a fan of the old menu and ambiance. This redo brings the restaurant back to a true Deborah Scott restaurant where the food is as fantastic in its own way as it was back in the day when she was running Kemo Sabe. The menu is South American with a few other things thrown in. Go with people and share tons of the tapas so you can try a lot. I've been twice and never had anything bad, but highlights include crostinos (farm egg!), bibimbap, antichucos (chicken, beef & pork belly), sopa de lima and the ceasar. They also have a full bar in addition to wine and its best to make a reservation so you get the comfy seats. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unintelligible MenuOneGourmetDined on 8/29/2014We were looking forward to returning to the Indigo Grill after the remodeling of the restaurant. The remodeling has been nicely done. The arrangement of space is much improved although we thought that they would have more booths instead of less, but the outside patio is wonderful. The main dining room was so noisy with music blaring that we could not carry a conversation with our guests and asked to move outside which was much better. But the menu was unintelligible and we could not get much help from the waitress about the contents of the various items. They need to explain the menu better. Our order was also messed up when we requested two skewers, but the food was well prepared and tasty.Special Features:
- Change is not always for the betterDaleVIPDined on 8/26/2014Indigo Grill was always on my go to list but it has now changed. The new decor is great and much better than before, the service was great as usual. Those are the only reasons this got 3 stars. The food and menu would have only rated 2 stars at best. The menu itself is difficult to read and understand, the options are odd to say the least and most of what made me want to go there is now gone. While what I had was okay - not great - it was not what would make me want to go back. Even the waitress had a hard time explaining the menu and several of the options. There are a lot of great eating establishments in San Diego and sadly this one has now fallen from the list of places on my list.
- Share everything!AnneDDined on 8/24/2014Most Cohn restaurants are good but this one is especially good for its variety. Food comes out whenever it's ready, so it's perfect for sharing and gabbing and nibbling until you are satisfied. Pig ears were surprisingly tasty and tender. Pork belly, too. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- OMG!ArtistkayVIPDined on 8/23/2014What was once my favorite restaurant has become my AB FAB favorite restaurant!! I don't know why I worried about the changes....everything is just terrific. Chef Jason Maitland has done a fine job with the new menu. The skewers are excellent....I couldn't eat all my meal and just warmed up the chicken skewer tonight for dinner. Who eats leftover chicken? Well, this was delicious. I can't wait to go back again and again to try everything on the menu!!!!! Thank you Deb Scott and the Cohn Family.Special Features:
- Food not as goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014I didn't realize the new format was family style dishes, and had my heart set on one of my old factories anyway, the flat iron steak. I ordered it and was very disappointed. I had expected it to be the same, since it was billed as one of the classics from the older format, but this time it tasted more like steak fajitas. I didn't care for it and was bummed to have wasted a rare dinner away from the kids on a blah meal.
- Missing the old menuranchogrlVIPDined on 8/22/2014The menu is now Peruvian, skimpy on the portions and exaggerated in price. I desperately miss the old Indigo menu. Unfortunately I won't be returning, the food is just not worth it.Special Features:
- Indigo Grill RevisitedsansanDined on 8/22/2014This was our first trip back to Indigo Grill after its remodel and revamping of menu. Needless to say, I liked the old Indigo Grill's menu better. Our first course sharing of small plates were good...roasted peaches and beef filet. The break down came with our second course. Arugula and Quinoa Salad was downright bad...too much oil so you tasted nothing else. Korean bowl was a great concept, but just too much rice and not enough of other stuff considering the cost and our steak entree was good on the steak and just a heap of potatoes with a spattering of roasted carrots. No flavor and coloring like Indigo previous menu steak dish. We use to come here quite a bit...not sure if we will make the drive from Oceanside anymore.
- Good food, confusing menuAlsmoDined on 8/21/2014The menu is limited and our server needed to explain it. Some of the menu is not in English.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!SergioDined on 8/19/2014Ambiance, food, and service was wonderful! My mom is a little hard of hearing, so they gave our group a table outside that was comfortable and quiet. We followed our server's suggestions and everything again was great! I would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- DisappointingMimiDined on 8/19/2014Perhaps they are still working on the menu but the "new"Indiago Grill is not as good as the former one was. Yes, it was nice to have skirts on fire again however it lacked the heat that it used to have. We were intrigued by ahi ribs, unfortunately they were dry and salty. The pork rib tips were ok but nothing to rave about. Will I return, perhaps but not for a while.Special Features:
- New MenuNewchoicesDined on 8/17/2014I loved Deborah's old menu but was pleasantly surprised at the new choices. Everything was interesting and the flavors blended perfectly. Will definitely go back to try other items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigo GrilleauntbsreviewDined on 8/17/2014Went there for 2 birthdays - love the new design and menu - we will be back! Way to go DeborahSpecial Features:
- I liked the old Indigo Grill menunonmagDined on 8/17/2014The resteraunt was renovated to a peruvean style with a menu of mostly tapas. They still have some of the older popular entrees, but for the most part everything changed. We tried some of the most popular tapas they offered which were pretty good. We also tried the mussels and clams, which were from the old menu, seemed like they changed the ingredients because it wasnt as spicy and tasty as I remember. Overall it was good but not as good as the old Indigo Grill.Special Features:
- Great food.. Shame about the wait!FabioVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great ambience, good food and attentive service. However, our reservation was for 8.30 and we had to wait for over 40 minutes for our table which spoiled the experience especially since we never got even an apology. I will have to think twice before going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zelliDined on 8/15/2014Great spot! We came here to celebrate a birthday. We had a table for 8. The food was fantastic - all small plates for the table to share…they came out staggered, in perfect timing. The waitress always knew when we wanted to order drinks or food. Wonderful experience. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Changes in the menuforeveryoungDined on 8/12/2014We've been coming to Indigo Grill for over 5 years and were disappointed in the menu changes. Still a great place but more for small plate dining.Special Features:
- Change didn't workrickVIPDined on 8/8/2014They changed there empty .... Fish had no flavor .chicken dry steak good but small portion ,Service good.. Used to be my 2nd favorite to island prime . Used to be full they need change...All other restaurants in LIttle Italy full