5951 North Broadway
Chicago, IL 60660Neighborhood:
North of Foster / Rogers Park
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.indiecafe.us/
- Phone: 7735615111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday, Wednesday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 3:00PM.
Dinner: Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 3:00PM - 10:00PM, Tuesday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM, Friday, Saturday: 3:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Iggy Ake
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Gui 7735615111
- Entertainment: Live Jazz, once a month.
A word from Indie Cafe
If you're looking for a hotspot with excellent sushi, then look no further than the super swanky and ultra-chic Indie Cafe. Located in Chicago's Edgewater community, this spot has been oozing class and modern style for a few years now. Indie combines the perfect blend of Thai food and Japanese cooking that creates a synergy that is both delicious and creative. The menu is large and innovative with new, exciting, and inventive rolls that sushi fans will love. Plus they have all of the traditional Thai favorites paired with some new flavors to shake things up a bit. The dining room is small, dimly lit, and simply decorated, keeping the focus squarely on the rolls, rice, and noodle dishes that are so elegantly presented. This is a BYOB restaurant, open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. The food is perfect and delicious, so whether it's Thai or Japanese, you know you're in good hands.Continued
Best New Restaurants, Chicago magazine
America's Top Japanese Restaurants, 2008 Zagat
Best New Restaurants, Chicago magazine
America's Top Japanese Restaurants, 2008 Zagat
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Indie Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Great Pan AsianJspiVIPDined on 10/19/2014This is my group of four friends "go to" spot for neighborhood sushi and pan-Asian cuisine. The restaurant was recently renovated to include a sushi bar in the dining room. Comfortable decor and a very low $2.50 per person corkage for BYOB with a convenient wine shop next door. (free corkage at lunch) The appetizers and salads are always great and the menu is extensive, allowing many visits without getting tired of the great food. They also have carry out available. The food comes out as it's ready, which makes for a somewhat uneven dining experience, but if you are with friends, it really doesn't matter too much, since you can share with each other, until all in the group have their choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 33 reviews are from the Indie Cafe reviews archive.
- A FavoriteDanielMVIPDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I love this place and have been going for years. The service and sushi is always good, though what I like the most is the atmosphere and the typical clientele; nicely decorated, relaxed and fun.Special Features:
- Great value for the quality levelNicefranceDined on 6/7/2014Food is beautifully presented and very high quality. Drinks including wine are low priced for a restaurnant of this style and ambience. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Still good, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2014I discovered Indie Cafe recently. I had gone by it many times and never stopped in and when I did, I thought, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" I asked my boyfriend where he'd like to go for his birthday. He suggested Indie Cafe. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed this time. I had the spring roll and the broccoli peapod with chicken entree, and a mojito (with sake) and vanilla mochi ice cream. The drink & dessert were FABULOUS...nice take on the mojito! What was "off" for me was the appetizer and entree. Both were a bit bland, and my bf said the same thing about his entree (chicken teriyaki). I've had the spring rolls before, but never the entree. I was surprised, because usually this place rocks (different chef that night?).
- My favorite Thai RestaurantgenkinsVIPDined on 5/9/2014We found Indie not too long after we moved to the area back in 2002. Indie is amazing. Seriously. It's amazing. It's the best Thai food I have had and I have a lot of Thai food. They also have Japanese food. Their Japanese food is amazing. You know... Maki rolls, Sashimi and Nigiri? Yeah, it's amazing too. Seriously. It's amazing.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceLuv2eatDined on 5/3/2014Indie had good service and very tasty food. Interesting, they had a wine list, but also allowed BYOB at an inexpensive price. Restaurant is right next to a wine shop also! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite Thai Asian spotMsprairieVIPDined on 4/25/2014There are lots of mediocre Thai joints. This is not one. The service was great. The food was outstanding. My husband always orders pad Thai the first time, he figures if they can't get that right. Why bother. He said it was the best he's had since Arun's I had a curry and it was so good. The shared two appetizers as well. The staff was attentive and accommodated some special requests!! I'll be back!!also did I mention price was right!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely go back!AmazingdinnerDined on 2/20/2014Had a delicious dinner here with a friend who was visiting from out of town. The food was super yummy - we especially enjoyed the V tempura roll and the pad thai. Prices were very reasonable as well, for both food and alcohol. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegetarian MakisShruthiDined on 2/16/2014For all those vegetarians who have not found alot of options to try out Japanese rolls, Indie cafe is a great option. We tried mango roll, asparagus tempura roll, sweet potato tempura roll and tofu teriyaki. They had a decent set of selections with vegetarian options. We also tried plum wine and iced ginger dragon drink. All of these were were pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unprepared for Valentine's Daydsg1110VIPDined on 2/14/2014I went there with two friends to celebrate Valentine's Day. It took 90 minutes to get our sushi - they did mention it was on back-order but we had no idea it would be taking that long. We saw two tables just get up and leave because they weren't greeted by a waitress within 30 minutes of their arrival. It seemed that Indie Cafe wasn't prepared to handle a fully-booked restaurant on Friday, February 14.Special Features:
- Good wine, great prices.VixenVeeVIPDined on 1/5/2014I had no idea that Indie had a liquor license (had not been there in a while). They actually have great wine and sake choices at reasonable prices. Not your everyday cheap, retail commodity wine choices, either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Look, Same Great ExperienceDanielMVIPDined on 1/4/2014I've been coming to Indie Cafe for several years, having lived in the Edgewater neighborhood for a time. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I come back to Indie after an extended period, to rediscover how consistently good the food and service is there. For this reason, it is frequently my "go too" spot for friends who have never been there before; I know that they'll have a good experience. Not surprisingly, it frequently becomes the "go-to" spot for friends who have been there before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is always great atOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2013The food is always great at Indie Cafe. I tried a new dish this time and it was perfect and my new favorite dish there. It was the smokey shrimp dish with chicken - amazing. I left there already craving it. Love Indie Cafe - the wait staff was also attentive and patient with our group of six. Indie Cafe is just great all around. Thanks!Special Features:
- We had a group of six, celebratingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2013We had a group of six, celebrating birthdays and enjoying one another's company. The atmosphere was fantastic, the food is always so delicious and we especially loved the crabmeat rangoon, Thai Basil and Pad See Ew. Oh, the Edamame was great, too. Thanks. : )Special Features:
- Indie Cafe never disappointsRckbkDined on 2/22/2013Have been to Indie Cafe many times and am never disappointed. Went this time with my sister and her friend and my sister commented that the food was even better than the last time she was there. Our waitress spoke very broken english, which isn't a problem, but it seemed as though it kept her from explaining anything. It was crowded on a Friday night and energetic, which works for me, but can be noisy for others. I order carry out from Indie also because I live nearby and I'm never disappointed. I always get the spring rolls, vegetable egg rolls and the Basil Chicken and Drunken Noodles.Special Features:
- I have eaten at Indie forbanneboDined on 2/14/2013I have eaten at Indie for lunch before and it's a great, attentive lunch spot with lots of vegetarian options. This reservation was for Valentine's Day with my husband and we had a great date with delicious pad thai and sweet potato tempura maki, all for a very affordable price! Also great that it's BYOB and right next to the grocery and liquor store.Special Features:
- I like Indie Cafe but theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013I like Indie Cafe but the service is not very good. Often, our meals arrive at different times. There were four of us and we all waited until the last arrived, my meal was getting cold. It's very inexpensive so, but, if you want really good service, it is not the place to go.
- The servers were very pleasant,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2013The servers were very pleasant, but a little slow toward the end. Had to cancel my dessert order because we finally had to leave. My husband's orange shrimp was very good, we liked having the option of brown rice. My teriyaki salmon was just ok. The salmon seemed like it had been around awhile, although we were eating early. The meal was not hot enough (temperature.)Special Features:
- Speedy service, but with aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013Speedy service, but with a little bit of a language barrier. Generous portion sizes. Large and diverse menu but quality not lost.Special Features:
- Usual lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/18/2013I always come here for lunch since my school is really close by. Their crab rang goons are the best. I love their sushi too! Mod X maki & crazy hand roll. I love how they have belly rewards.Special Features:
- Indie is a treasurehalbermoleVIPDined on 12/1/2012Indie is indeed a neighborhood gem. My partner and I dine there regularly. Food is beautifully presented, always tastes fresh and is consistently enjoyable. Furthermore, you simply can't beat it for value. It used to be BYOB but now they have a remarkably good wine list curated by the sommelier from Arun's at a ridiculously affordable price point. Also, it should be noted that they have a very efficient, speedy, courteous and reliable delivery service!Special Features:
- we chose this spot for itsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2012we chose this spot for its convenience to the Broadway Armory, as a pre event dinner. It was very good. The ambience is very hipster with cool anime and asian influenced wall art as well as nicely appointed tables, which are reasonably distanced from one another. The menu is very large and consists of both Japanese and Thai favorites. Service was a little slow, but we had allowed plenty of time, so not a problem. The server was very polite, and knowledgable. Portions were large. I had Panang curry. It was very tasty and not too spicy. Jasmine rice was perfectly cooked. Reasonable wine list , by the glass, as well. We parked right on the street , metered, in front of the restaurant. would highly recommend this gem to all.Special Features:
- A favorite for our family.AnnaDined on 8/25/2012Whenever we want a special family night out we head to Indie Cafe from Evanston. The sushi is creative and delicious as are the Thai entrees.Special Features:
- Great jobMikeDined on 7/14/2012Was pretty slow for a Saturday evening but it was still early. Server was great and food was amazing. Their Crab Ragoons are to die for. My sushi was fantastic and my dining companions got regular entrees and they loved them. I just wish the edemame was served a little hotter and with more sea salt. Fantastic job!! Take out was BUSYSpecial Features:
- Very good Thai food and lotsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012Very good Thai food and lots of vegetarian options if you ask. Best green curry I have had in this area. Fish for Sushi was a day old. Not bad, but not great either. This was on a Saturday.Special Features:
- The salads, curry, and noodleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/29/2012The salads, curry, and noodle dishes were all delicious!
- each time i visit indie iOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2012each time i visit indie i am blown away by their food! the panang curry is to die for.Special Features:
- Great food - the curries areOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/25/2012Great food - the curries are delicious. The wine list has a great selection at amazing prices - we were very happy with our Syrah and what a great price!!Special Features:
- A long time favoritePhoodieVIPDined on 2/24/2012Indie Cafe is one of our favorite restaurants. We have been going there for years and have never been disappointed. The food is always delicious and the staff is always warm and inviting. We especially like the signature sushi rolls with their great presentations, the curry dishes and the crazy basil fried rice. Go with friends and plan to share.Special Features:
- We enjoy going to Indie CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012We enjoy going to Indie Cafe because of the service and food. The only negative thing that I would like to add is, I requested a special table and they did not get it on the reservation according to the hostess but they ended up making it right!Special Features:
- normally a great place withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2012normally a great place with descent service, although the waitresses are never great. Food is always very good. This time the service was worse than horrible. We were a party of 10. The first thing she said to us after sitting there for 10 minutes was "do you want appetizers?". We said "well we'd like to order drinks first". This just seemed to annoy her. When the drinks came, she put the tray down and handed the drinks to one person to pass down. She did this with drinks, food, plates, etc all throughout the meal.Special Features:
- My Wife and I have Indie CafegenkinsVIPDined on 1/21/2012My Wife and I have Indie Cafe on our top 10 restaurants list for quite a few years now. This place has amazing Thai and Sushi! Never disappoints! They are still BYOB too.Special Features:
- A fantastic neighborhood eatery,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2011A fantastic neighborhood eatery, great options for asian dishes, fast and friendly service.Special Features:
- We have been weekly customersOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/15/2011We have been weekly customers at Indie since they opened, so we are somewhat biased. We like the environment, the food and the service. The owners continue to reinvent the space and the menu, which keeps the experience fresh. We like to go during the week as it gets crazy on the weekends.Special Features: