Indian Oven - Haight
233 Fillmore St
San Francisco, CA 94117Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Indian Oven - Haight
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.indianovensf.com/
- Phone: 4156261628
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Dinner: Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Weddings, birthdays, rehearsals or graduation dinners can be accommodated on-site. Please contact the restaurant for further details.
A word from Indian Oven - Haight
We are located in the Lower Haight District near Hayes Vally/Market San Francisco. We offer a mix of modern style with traditional roots, from our handmade paintings representing the incredible Indian culture to our fabulous interior and stylish décor. Come see the granite, open windows, fabulous interior, and our side window made of glass with high ceilings; Experience our romantic music, and dine on our open Kitchen on which we prepare delicious authentic Indian dishes using a centuries old traditional Clay Pot method of cooking that allows us to quickly char roast meats, poultry, and seafood at up to 1000 degrees. The Tandoori Oven also bakes traditional Nan Breads crisp or chewy. All entries are individually prepared to your specified taste and seasoning. We can easily accommodate 60 people. and also 70 people at the Up Stair Tower Room. Come and experience our refined customer service and the highest standard of dining brought to you by our attentive staff and our fabulous food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Indian Oven - Haight reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (3)romantic (2)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Far too spicydiner13VIPDined on 7/26/2014We are used to eating Indian food frequently. So, when the waitress asked mild, medium, or hot, we said hot. Boy, was that a mistake. The food was so hot you couldn't taste any flavors, it was horrible. We got some plain yogurt to help cut the hotness but it was still horrible, and without any flavor. Brought most of it home and reheated with butter to cut the hot still but it was really awful. Never order the food hot! We should have sent it back, but feel guilty doing so when we had selected the option. Should have been some commonsense by the restaurant to not load it with chillies. Even the bread basket that we had found to be delicious in the long ago past was only second rate naan. Can buy better at Trader Joes.
- Fabulous as alwaysDelishVIPDined on 7/20/2014Love this place! Typically get their take out, but had friends in town, so at at the Filmore location. Consistently great! Service was attentive, but almost too attentive; they had 2 servers that didn't seem to communicate with *each other*, hovered around our table (felt a bit rushed) and asked the same questions to me/my friends. The food & atmosphere are wonderful. Great neighborhood place! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodMattVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is my favorite Indian good in San Francisco. You simply can't go wrong with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GinnieleeVIPDined on 6/24/2014I haven't been in 12 years. Food still the same. Excellent Great Service.Special Features:
- Graduation LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014We had been here for "Date Night Indian" several times, and liked the food enough to bring my family of ten for a lunch before my graduation ceremony. The food was great, fresh and bright, and everyone was fed, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. I'm not sure they do big-group reservations very often, however, as there was a little last-minute table and chairs adding to accommodate us all - yes, I'd put 10 on the reservation. But, we were the only people in the restaurant for most of our time there, the staff was friendly and professional, and the setting was very pretty with sunlight and murals. It's really a kind of gem, hidden half a block off of Haight Street.Special Features:
- The following 32 reviews are from the Indian Oven - Haight reviews archive.
- Late-night SurpriseJessDined on 3/22/2014We were super surprised by this place. We found this place through OpenTable cause it was one of a few places that had availability at 9:30pm on a Friday night, last-minute (15min), and in our area. The food is great. Just the right amount of spices. The portions look small when they're first served, but four of us were full with 4 entrees, rice, and naan. The server was great; super helpful and attentive. We stayed past their closing time, and they never kicked us out/rushed us out.. I'd recommend this place for sure.Special Features:
- A good optionThetisVIPDined on 2/17/2014This is a nice, upscale, white linen tablecloth option in the Fillmore & Haight Street location. And while the music was a little too loud for normal conversation and the food was a tad overpriced for the amount and quality of food offered, service was wonderful and the dishes overall are fair to good. I would go here again if I needed to find a place in the Fillmore/Haight neighborhood that was slightly upscale and was good for both groups and an intimate dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian GemCanadianGordoVIPDined on 10/11/2013We were looking for a unique, neigbourhood style restaurant on a Friday night in SanFrancisco. We were lucky to find Indian Oven and that it had availability. The service was fun, good energy, and knowledgeable. Recommendations made were outstanding. They didn't try to over sell on quantity or quality. Food was exceptional. Price was very good. I'd go back in a heart beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2013This was a nice experience. The food was delicious. The staff was friendly. Overall, a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurantDSTODined on 7/26/2013As a party of three, we ordered and shared the butter chicken, chana masala, lamb (not sure which type), garlic naan and raita. Everything from the food, portion size, service, price and atmosphere was great. The only problem was parking as we had to wait a while and circle the blocks a few times to find a spot. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to this restaurantRichDined on 3/10/2013We have been to this restaurant a few times in the past, but the food was not as exceptional as I had remembered. Much of it tasted the same and not so distinctive. It was a slight disappointment. However, this may have been due to our selections.Special Features:
- I wasn't terribly impressed,WhatsamattayouDined on 2/15/2013I wasn't terribly impressed, unfortunately. Prawns were overcooked. Oh well, ya can't win 'em all...
- Generally fine. We were thereSheilaVIPDined on 12/25/2012Generally fine. We were there on Christmas evening and while busy in the restaurant they were VERY busy w/ phone orders. Food didn't arrive for more than an hour after ordering - though lots of take-out orders being picked up. Had to speak w/ waiter and floor manager multiple times before we got served, even after people at the next table, who arrived later, were already served. Overall, the food did not make up for the hassle.
- They were very busy and IOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2012They were very busy and I waited for the nan bread while my food was getting cold it came half way through the meal. There were some spicy dishes and the wait for water was even longer we had six people at the table but the food was stellar. Would I go back yes but not on such a busy day.Special Features:
- Dim the lights! OtherwiseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2012Dim the lights! Otherwise Indian Food quality is if you lived in London. And that says something! Well done Indian Oven.Special Features:
- Nicely laid out space andqtrtimeSFciscanVIPDined on 4/6/2012Nicely laid out space and attentive service - food was a little underwhelming.
- Indian food paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/29/2012Consistantly one of our favorite Indian restaurants in San Francisco. Great Tandori, nan, prawns in coconut, and Indian beers. Fun neighborhood, good customers, and wonderful food. Try this place soon or go back if its been a while.Special Features:
- Get the tandoori chicken.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/6/2012Get the tandoori chicken. It come from the kitchen on fire and arrives sizzlingSpecial Features:
- Indian Oven is consistently awesomeChelseaSteveDined on 1/6/2012Have been to Indian Oven 3 times over the last 10 years - consistently excellent in all categories. This is a very well run Indian, with excellent food and the added ambience of the kitchen sharing the same open floor plan on the lower level. Norman (25 yrs at Indian Oven) runs a tight ship with a very welcoming attitude. Hard for me to go to San Francisco without a visit.Special Features:
- We waited 40 minutes for bread!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/25/2011We waited 40 minutes for bread! They kept filling take out orders while all the diners in the restaurant looked at each other because no one had food. I finally complained. The food arrived three minutes later. Won't go back even tho the food is good.
- Surreal, but not in a good wayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/25/2011Maybe it was just holiday chaos, but I have never in my life had worse service in a restaurant. We were seated quite a while after the time of our reservation, and from then on it was just surreal: the food that arrived at our table was not the food we ordered, but our bill included everything we ordered. Multiple requests produced some of the things we ordered, but not all. Eventually we just gave up. Other tables had the same problems.
- Painfully poorly managed operation.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/25/2011Painfully poorly managed operation. The place was so horribly slow that after 1 hour and 40 minutes and still waiting for our entrees, we lost our appetite and left the place. The restaurant was turning out large Take-Out orders and they seemingly forgot about the diners sitting at the tables. To make matters worse, the owner and servers were not very nice or understanding about the situation. They kept saying "5 more minutes".
- Lose the Wait!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/23/2011I am among the highly tolerant of poor service, but, honestly, Indian Oven went over the edge. Waiting 30 minutes to place and order and then waiting 30 minutes for appetizers (not at the same time) and another 30 minutes when done for the main course is, well, unacceptable. It wasn't just me -- others were complaining. Perhaps they can't handle the private room and the public room at the same time. The food was fine, but it was all I could do to not tell people coming in the restaurant to leave.
- Tandori chicken you must haveOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/7/2011This is our favorite Indian restaurant in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Everything was fine. TheWork4Food4LoveDined on 8/8/2011Everything was fine. The food was a little less entrancing than the last time I was there, but it was perfectly fine. It gets a little too crowded to rate ambiance.Special Features:
- Nicer Indian Restaurant Coming BackOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2011This place got sold a few years ago and hasn't been the same since. I loved it before and it is just now starting to show signs of returning to its former glory. The service has always been excellent, but the food had definitely taken a dive for a while. It is expensive compare to most Indian restaurants in SF, but decidedly less greasy, which I am willing to pay for on occasion. There are white tablecloths, outstanding service, traditional Northern Indian dishes and it is just a step above most of the other Indian restaurants I have tried in SF. Perhaps comparable to Roti in West Portal or Dosa in Fillmore (but not the one in the mission and much better run than Dosa, which I think it still working out the kinks.)Special Features:
- It's a low brow dining experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/14/2011It's a low brow dining experience, but the food is very good. Good spot for a group of people, but a little bland for a special dining experience. Service is a little uneven. Overall, I would recommend it.Special Features:
- Indian Oven's food is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/15/2011Indian Oven's food is always tasty and the decor very pleasant. Our children love the chicken pakora appetizer. The naan breads are delicious as is everything else we order. It's worth the drive across the city.Special Features:
- An excellent Indian restaurantJohnnyVDined on 1/7/2011An excellent Indian restaurant with a beautiful dining room, beer and wine only, it has been around for ages, an institution.Special Features:
- Only negative was that reservationGeoffVIPDined on 12/30/2010Only negative was that reservation was for an early business lunch and upon arrival the doors were locked and didn't open until 11:15 for an 11 reservation. Otherwise it was great!Special Features:
- This was for Christmas dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/25/2010This was for Christmas dinner. We arrived and it was a half hour before we saw a waiter. He tld us it would be a half hour wait for food, so we ordered appetizers. 30 minutes later the apps came. We kept asking about our food,and were told it was coming. To shorten the review, suffice it to say that it was 1hr and 45 minutes after we arrived, we still did not have food, so we got up and left. On Christmas!
- Watch out for suggested add-onsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/3/2010Watch out for suggested add-ons from waiter without mentioning price. Easliy increased our bill by 25% for naan & paraki/lavosh. Really? Little sneaky.
- While the food was excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/16/2010While the food was excellent, the service was poor (to say the least) with our party waiting over an hour to place our order and this only after 3 attempts to get the bus-person to get us a waiter. A party of 8 was given (and *charged* for) somewhere around 16 full pieces of naan (way too many) and enough rice to have 4-5 pints left over. All quite odd. I would not recommend this place for large parties.
- We've been here several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/8/2010We've been here several times and will continue to go back. Their food is very good with quality ingredients and a very wide variety on the menu. Definitely suggest you check it out - probably one of the best Indian restaurant's we have been to.
- An off night. I've had greatmaudeVIPDined on 10/3/2010An off night. I've had great meals here/ Off service, too noisy to hear each other speak. Great naan though. And the tandoori was wonderful. Samosas were fat and satisfying. Paneer dishes were off. Usually my fave. NOrmally this is a great little place to tuck inot for a reasonably priced night out.
- Indian Oven was gracious enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2010Indian Oven was gracious enough to honor my booking for a party of twelve at very short notice, seating us upstairs in their overflow space. The service was friendly and competent. The food was tasty, well-spiced, and never greasy. While the portions didn't overwhelm, they were in line with most Indian establishments in San Francisco. The tandoori chicken in particular was delicious. I would highly recommend Indian Oven.Special Features:
- I'm a big fan of Indian food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2010I'm a big fan of Indian food, and had heard good things about Indian Oven from friends. However, my visit to the restaurant left me feeling disappointed. I went on a Sunday evening with my boyfriend. Both the host and the waiter refused to acknowledge my presence. It was the oddest thing. On top of the bizarre service, the food was extremely mediocre. We ordered our food spicy, and there was no spiciness to be found. The naan's texture was off, and it was probably the worst chicken tikka masala I've had. With so many Indian restaurants in that area, I say go elsewhere. Try Rotee for better service, food and ambiance.