India House, Chicago
59 W. Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 63277Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
IndianPrice: $30 and under
India House, Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.indiahousechicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 645-9500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30AM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Cigar Room, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
A word from India House, Chicago
India House Restaurant in Downtown Chicago offers dining, catering, delivery , buffet, and banquet services. Our party room can accommodates up to 35 guests and is perfect for events such as birthday parties, baby showers, corporate parties, and much, much more. Enjoy dining in at the India House restaurant that offers over 250 different unique menu items, an ambiance full of Indian fine arts and crafts, and our commitment to provide you with delicious, creative, and healthy foods. Our food is representative of the many and varied regional cuisines of India and of the many ethnic groups of people in the subcontinent. Our dishes range from Bombay , Delhi , street Fare and Home style Tandoori cooking to the most sophisticated food of the royal families. Catering is our specialty. Try our daily luncheon buffet. We have received accolades from the Chicago Tribune, Zagat Survey, and the Chicago Magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
India House, Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (43)fit for foodies (28)great for lunch (25)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (11)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Underrated!RPcleVIPDined on 11/21/2014I was amazed that I haven't heard a buzz about India House - it was so delicious! The vibe is definitely more quiet, maybe a fun place to have a dinner date - appropriate to take your family. Get the yellow lentils and the chicken vindaloo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best Indian Buffet in the arealivelaughloveeatDined on 11/16/2014This place was recently remodeled, the ambiance is really nice and has a modern romantic feel to it. My husband and I love the lunch buffet, they have at least 10-15 different options so you get to try a little bit of everything. The food was great and it was only $18 a person. The space is pretty big so def great for group outing. We will def be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite goodUrbaneHoosierDined on 11/14/20142nd time is visited. First was in a group of 7 and food and service were great - attentive, but not overdone. This time was in a group of 3. Nice table, but unfortunately adjacent to another group of 3 who made as much noise as our group of 7 before. India House adds nice touches with the house Naan and the warm towels after dinner. My friend from India says the food is somewhat Americanized, but I guess that's to be expected. He discuss it was very good though, so that's a vote of confidence. The couple of times I've visited it's been busy which is also a good sign. The presentation is always appealing - always looks fresh. Go. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/11/2014Typical good Indian cuisine in a nice atmosphere. The menu is extensive with multiple choices including many that are vegetarian. Service is friendly and helpful if you are not familiar with Indian cuisine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty solidFoodie4lifeVIPDined on 11/7/2014Went here for a late dinner on a Friday night to fulfill a last minute Indian craving. Had no issue booking a reservation online (luckily! Because it was packed upon arrival). The food and drinks are definitely pricier here, but you get what you pay for. The cuts of meat are better quality, the service is on point - you can tell management really runs a tight ship. Ordered palak paneer, peshwari naan, and a lamb dish with mint and yogurt (the name escapes me). Everything was very good, but my only complaint is that both dishes, primarily the lamb, were excessively salty. Definitely would have given it four stars if it wasn't for this, but it was still delicious enough to warrant a return visit.Special Features:
- AnchieVIPDined on 11/7/2014Lunch buffet ends at 2:30. To me that means that you can come in at 2:30 and still be served. Not so!! We arrived at 2:00 but at 2:30 the buffet was completely removed. If you arrive at 2:30 you can get in the door but there will be no food(?) Otherwise, best Indian restaurant in Chicago.Special Features:
- Outstanding Indian food64eatrVIPDined on 10/25/2014We frequently eat Indian food wherever our travels take us. This was some of the best we have ever eaten.Special Features:
- Would not recommend the buffetChakoDined on 10/23/2014Only three non-veggie entrees and you have to conduct a search to find any meat piece!Special Features:
- Family favoriteWorldDinerVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great Indian restaurant!!! For sure the best Indian cuisine in downtown Chicago (no car so don't know about outlying areas). Several new menu items, all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice renovation / great foodoperagoerVIPDined on 10/15/2014I had heard they recently remodeled the space and it was very nice there. The food was excellent. Great wine list. Service was pretty good. We enjoyed the experience very much and will return and will recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Food never arrivedOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/11/2014We ended up leaving before our food ever arrived after waiting more than 45 minutes for our main meal. The salad arrived promptly but after that the server disappeared and our food failed to show. We did not receive any explanation for the lengthy delay or a visit from any server or management staff to explain or apologize. My husband finally got up and alerted the hostess that we had waited way too long and that we intended to leave if the food didn't arrive immediately. Nothing. This was our third time dining at India House and we obviously liked it enough to return but after this experience we will not be back any time soon. Such a shame because the meal at past visits was very tasty...
- Best Indian in the downtowndjoyVIPDined on 10/2/2014India House is a place with excellent food, prompt and attentive service and a pleasant atmosphere. The recent renovation includes an outdoors in the indoors section for those who like to dine in the fresh air. Also a new and attractive bar. Why travel to Devon when you can get authentic cuisine on W Grand.Special Features:
- Good lunch buffet!FoodDivaDined on 9/26/2014Have been here several times and the food is consistently good.Special Features:
- Indian Client DinnerTimeZoneTravelerVIPDined on 9/12/2014I took my overseas finance team there for dinner. Some of the items they said were rather goods while others were sub-par. I suppose when there are so many items on the menu, it can be hard to make all of them very exceptional. Service was great despite a non-Indian waitress. I will continue to go back.Special Features:
- Expansive menu, good foodNobodyImportantVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very large and expansive menu. Everything we had was quite good. Portions are large which facilitates sharing. Prices quite reasonable. Was a little too noisy so conversation was strained.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!KrashtestVIPDined on 9/12/2014Went for the lunch buffet and it was unbelievably amazing! Great food, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Indian restaurantSteveDined on 9/11/2014When I am in downtown Chicago I always try to plan a dinner at India House for a memorable meal. I took a group of 7 and everyone really appreciated the experience.Special Features:
- Authentic Indian FoodColoradofoodloverDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant was filled with Indians, which we took as a good sign We had the chicken tikka, dal, and spinach alook. Safron rice and two nans (garlic and masaman). Yum! The spinach dish was a bit bland, but we didn't ask for the food spicy. Next time! Service was terrific and food came out promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but priceyMBS58VIPDined on 8/22/2014The menu prices have gone up quite a bit since we last dined at India House. Can't justify paying $16 for a bowl of mashed eggplant and spices. The vegetable dishes are way overpriced consider they cost about the same was the meat dishes. The food is good but we have never had to wait so long for our entrées to arrive. It was about 40 minutes and the restaurant was not busy. The other detractor was two very noisy children who were disturbing everyone. Their mother doing nothing but texting on her cellphone the whole time.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Compared to few years ago, quality of food has worsened a lot!
- AnchieVIPDined on 8/15/2014There were 5 of us in our party and an 18% tip was added to the bill. We have eaten at India House at least 25 times in the past few years and this is a first. We're used to a mandatory tip added when there are 6 or more in the party but certainly not 5. Good thing we checked the bill before adding an additional tip. Also, 18% tip calculated on AFTER TAX amount meaning we were paying tip ON the tax. This is not appropriate.Special Features:
- Our favorite Indian restaurantNuklericDined on 8/8/2014Great food, plenty of room for larger groups, valet parking, tender tandori, tasty naan, curries and masalas all very good.Special Features:
- Large PortionsOccasionalDinerChicagoDined on 8/5/2014great for groups to share. good food. love the naan apps.Special Features:
- The following 222 reviews are from the India House, Chicago reviews archive.
- Good Indian food, nice owner/mgrMeganjDined on 7/27/2014Good Indian food and a nice owner/manager. Mediocre/poor waitstaff service. Food did not appeal to our children, might to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but the not good serviceRobbstarkDined on 7/20/2014The server didn't find us the right seat that we were looking for inspite of the fact that the place was 70% empty. And he was rude. Food was good but no one appreciates it if not treated well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!luv2gooutDined on 7/17/2014Excellent food and ambiance. Clean. Warm setting. Fast service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portion sizeDeanDined on 6/9/2014The portions are large. We should have ordered on item and shared it. Perhaps the wait staff might suggest this option.Special Features:
- It's okluv3dieDined on 6/9/2014I'm not a big fan of Indian cuisine but my friends wanted some. So, one of my friends suggested India House which she raves about the food all the time. One of my friends brought her young children who ordered from the kids menu and provided a high chair for her youngest. I didn't get much of a guide in regards to the menu from our server. I had chicken kabob and there were other smaller plates on the table to share with my companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good but not 5*ReviewerVIPDined on 6/7/2014We've been going to India House for the last 8 years and it's consistently been the best Indian food in town. I'm cutting them a little slack but our most recent experience involved a number of service hiccups. The food is still solid but it's not the 5* experience it's been in the past two-three years. We'll be back and will hope that they get back to their best Indian restaurant in town ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LNTLDined on 6/6/2014They had a big list of things to pick from. But didn't have much to pick from for guten free dairy free. My food was very good and would go back to eat the same thing. (Since I only have 2 choices). However, the service was very bad and so was the drinks. Would go out of my way to dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WomanOverboardVIPDined on 6/5/2014Didn't like the room we were seated in. It was away from everything and our group was only five. There were plenty of seats in the main dining room, so it seemed if the OT reservation was the catalyst. The buffet as always was stellar with lots of options and cooked well. One of our party did not partake, because she has peanut allergies. The server was nice enough to continuously go back to the kitchen and ask the chef regarding menu options.Special Features:
- Not Up to Usual StandardsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2014As always, India House remains a favorite for us;however, their needlessly complex service pattern left one of the items which I ordered not to be delivered. The food was adequate, but not up to its usual excellent standards. Principally, our issue was with the service in terms of its consistency and failure to complete our order. Although we had service complaints, our server displayed the complete understanding of the menu and its offerings which we find to be commendable (and for me, necessary).Special Features:
- Great placeRimbalzinaDined on 5/31/2014The indian restaurant i was looking for in chicago. Excellent food and service!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't like new ambienceAnchieVIPDined on 5/31/2014Restaurant was completely redone a year or so ago. Even with a reservation requesting the front room they tried to seat us in the back room. The temperature was at least 90 degrees and we refused to be seated there. Finally we were seated in the front room but next to a party of 8 or 9 young women. They practically screamed at one another, unbelievably loud laughing, etc. We could not converse with our dinner partners at all. Since the redo, the restaurant is much noisier in general. The food is wonderful but I'm not sure we will return due to the very unpleasant atmosphere.Special Features:
- My favorite Indian resto!suijurisVIPDined on 5/27/2014They have tons of dishes in their menu. Tandoori Chix rocks as well as Lamb Madras. The okra is also really good. You should try their tandoori breads. The sesame naan and Paneer Kulcha are addictive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodSalinas2carmelDined on 5/24/2014India House is a fantastic restaurant with excellent food, wonderful service, and reasonable prices. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian food in ChicagoleepersmomDined on 4/26/2014Despite a bit of difficulty communicating with servers and waitstaff the menu is extensive, atmosphere pleasant and food extremely delicious.Special Features:
- Good food, quiet and comfortableFleetboatDined on 4/25/2014The restaurant decor is attractive, the seating comfortable, and it never got noisy. The wine list is rather limited, but serviceable. Our party selected both individual vegetarian dishes and from among the house dinners which include a choice a salad or soup, nan, and lentils (served family style). The dinner choices are dominated by Tandoori dishes and the selection we had (fish, lamb, chicken) were excellent. The salad (mixed greens served with a house dressing) was OK but the soups (tomato basil and lentil) were judged very good. Dinner prices were in the $25-$35 range. The servings were plentiful, so much so that we ended taking about 1/2 away with us. Service was attentive if not overly friendly (no "My name is...").Special Features:
- Bad SpotGreatVIPDined on 4/18/2014Overrated food and service go to Gaylord for better food and service
- Is it slipping?ChicagoanVIPDined on 4/10/2014India House has been our favorite Indian restaurant but we had a very disappointing meal. A new chef? The sauces lost all their subtle-yet-complex flavors.