Imoto at Buccan
350 South County Road
Palm Beach, FL 33480Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Imoto at Buccan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (561) 833-5522
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 11:00pm Bar open to 12:00am
Friday - Sat 5:30 - 12am Bar open to 1am
Sunday - 5:30 - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Clay Conley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Imoto at Buccan
Imoto (little sister) is Buccan's version of an Izakaya. The Japanese Izakaya's were traditionally down-to-earth gathering places to go get a drink and something to eat after work. Imoto Room is an extension of Buccan's small plate - big flavor concept with Japanese and other Asian influence. The menu offers items ranging from innovative sushi & sashimi to Clay Conley's interpretations of other Asian favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Imoto at Buccan - Best Restaurants in Palm Beach ›
Imoto at Buccan reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (13)special occasion (5)romantic (5)notable wine list (5)good for groups (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A fantastic food experienceBlackdogDined on 11/25/2014We did have to wait for our table to open up but the wait was worth it. Everything from our appetizers to the ceviche to the rolls was superb. The wait staff and service were spot on. It's a hot spot on PB. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2014Imoto is one of the absolute best restaurants in the US. The same goes for Buccan. Please open locations in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but...merecainVIPDined on 11/20/2014We had a great experience here in the end, but honestly, I thought I was making a reservation for Buccan! It was a little embarrassing to lead my party into Buccan, only to have them tell me I didn't have a reservation and that actually it must be for their sister restaurant. It all worked out in the end, and we had a good meal, but I wish OpenTable made it a little more clear. This was probably the less expensive option, but there were a couple of things I had seen on the Buccan menu that caught my eye and was slightly disappointed. Oh, well! Next time, I guess.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JadeddinerDined on 11/10/2014Always a chic crowd, we especially like sitting at the back bar for dinner. Chef certainly accomplishes his goal of creating small plates with big flavor. The wild mushrooms with asparagus and truffle butter is a great side to warm dishes or sushi. Their trio of sakes is a great way to taste different styles of sake to find your favorite.Special Features:
- Nothing specialRicardoDined on 11/2/2014While Buccan had innovative delicious food, imoto is not in the same class. First course took forever even though it was an oyster shooter which arrived warm in a shot glass. Hot food was bland and sushi was very ricey and unprofessionally rolled. I would not return.
- Yummy!momof3Dined on 10/3/2014Imoto serves the best Japanese in Palm Beach. Echo may have a prettier setting, but Imoto's food is superior. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Review is for Imoto at BuccanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Extremely fresh ingredients, attentive, excellent service. This was a great place to enjoy some sake or wine with a friend, significant other, or a group of friends. Loved the seafood selections. The meat selections could have been a little more "user friendly", i.e. serving boneless vs. bone-in ribs - very tasty though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Fresh sushi.LoriDined on 9/13/2014Food is amazing here. Fresh sushi and best I have had in Florida. But the service was terrible. We waited so long for any food. They brought my entree out with my husbands appetizer. Then brought me my appetizer with his entree. We didn't even want to wait to have it fixed because it took so long to get the food. There excuse is that they had a large table but that isn't an excuse to me. But food was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and exoticMrsfosterDined on 9/12/2014Imoto has wonderful food. I love small plates and being able to taste and share and order more when you love something. The staff is wonderful and understands how to make a small plate share-able. For example if there are four people sharing an plate that comes with three pieces of something, they will, whenever possible divide it into bites. The ahi tuna and foie gras sliders are a perfect example of decadent, creative and exotic! This place is cozy, a bit loud and a bit dark making it a sexy night out, but let's just say your grandma probably won't like it which is fine with me, the elders have plenty of places to go in Palm Beach. Reservations are a must.Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerPBDinerDined on 9/6/2014Imoto is a tiny place, hard to find. We didn't see the name on the door or window. But, after the incredibly imaginative dinner, will be sure to return. The hoisin ribs were fabulous, as was the entire meal. We went early, and the service was great. As it got later, I could see the service slow down.Special Features:
- Avg food, below avg serviceVanessaVIPDined on 8/29/2014Went for an early dinner.We were seated directly under an air vent that was blowing a lot of cold air.Told waiter the airflow was too much and asked to move to a nearby table that didn't have the same problem (my husband checked it). Although the restaurant was empty, the waiter refused my request twice. The manager came over to let me know that he raised the temp by a degree (wasn't the problem). A table seated next to us was given a happy hour menu, we were not. Asked to borrow it. Had nice appetizers and drinks, sorry we missed that. Salad way overdressed. Fish was ok,not enough flavor. Pork buns were delish. Overall, not a great meal. I thought the staff was snarky. You'd be better off going to Echo for much better food and service!
- Excellent SushiPandaDined on 8/19/2014Best Sushi in Florida! Very similar to one of the great NYC sushi restaurants. We Highly recommend this lovely and creative restaurant. Terrific staff and amazing chef. Buccan next door is also amazing-same owners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 96 reviews are from the Imoto at Buccan reviews archive.
- JT111Dined on 7/12/2014The quality of the food and the friendliness of the staff is the key to making this restaurant so enjoyable. It shares space with it's sister restaurant Buccan, which is more energetic. The bar scene at Imoto is more sedate, but quite nice. The menu is original and inviting. This is the best sushi we have found in Palm Beach County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chuckDined on 7/3/2014Loved the hip concept....food and service very good. finally a place to go in Palm Beach where I can actually have a conversation with friends and family.Special Features:
- IncredibleMJD523VIPDined on 6/27/2014Food was some of the best I've had. The cauliflower and Duck Tacos were favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly unique Asian food.JLDCEOVIPDined on 6/4/2014While their sushi is sushi, albeit very good, the appetizers are to die for! We got all 4 of the starters and almost went back for more without ordering a main! The steak is also very good and the bun truly delightful. This is a great causal dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in areaTahiaVIPDined on 6/4/2014Outstanding sushi. The nigiri is excellent and there is no need to order anything else. Yellowtail was a highlight.Special Features:
- love good food and atmospherepalm78dinerDined on 5/31/2014I had sword fish, my sister had skirt steak..of course we shared!!! Lol both dishes were amazing.. I will def go back..actually that was my second time..lolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Poor Man's GariMattDined on 5/25/2014Our server was MIA for most of the night, almost as if he was working in Buccan and Imoto. We usually love sitting at the Sushi Bar when we go to a restaurant like this (we live in NYC) to interact with the Chefs, but they did not even make eye contact with you. It took about 30 Minutes to get our appetizers, but things got better. The hot plates we ordered were actually very good, and that is the only reason why I gave the food 3 Stars, the nigiri deserves one or two stars depending on piece. Some were grocery store quality, the pieces were not cut properly and the rice was not special. Though hot plates were great, if they want this to be the serious sushi place PB needs they need to spend money and purchase better product.Special Features:
- Clay Conley is a Great Chef-OwnerPalmBeacherDined on 5/21/2014Clay Conley and his partners have created another notable restaurant. Like Buccan's, Imoto's menu crackles with imagination. Like Buccan, Imoto has food and ambience that are beautifully different. The food is Asian-inspired, not slavishly Asian; Conley's Japanese chefs have worked with him to create new, even daring, dishes--- "tacos" with mooshi pork, for example. Imoto has restrained elegance--- again, not slavishly Asian, but clearly Japanese-inspired: contemporary paintings, furniture with spare lines. (The lighting in the restaurant is a bit gloomy: a minor flaw in an otherwise near-perfect tapestry.) Watch Conley; he's barely into his thirties but his track record is already brilliant. Even greater things are doubtless to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!JLMCVIPDined on 4/21/2014One of our favorites in Palm Beach. We sat at the sushi bar, great entertainment! We loved everything that we had. Presentation was beautiful and taste was delicious. We have tried about 1/2 the menu and have not come across something that we did not like. All the servers are friendly and on top of their game!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dull eveningpashaDined on 4/12/2014My experience at Imoto was nice. It was the first time i had been there. I expected the food to be special. I was very disappointed. The food was average. I had much better sushi from the strip mall sushi places. Our head waiter was good but not really a pleasant natured person. He was just doing his job. I will not rush back there. They gave me no reason to.
- This restaurant was absolutelyChuckDined on 4/11/2014This restaurant was absolutely fantastic. Great place to get a lot of appetizers, that each one was as good as the other. Clay Conley knows how to run 2 great restaurants in this and Buccan. We will be eating at both restaurants a lot.Special Features:
- Excellent Plates, Delicious SashimiBigPoppaVIPDined on 4/5/2014Fun atmosphere and delicious food. Some dishes were extraordinary, others were just alright. It's worth finding out which one's taste best.Special Features:
- Try it!bobbyboyDined on 3/28/2014The food was exceptional. We rate restaurants poor, average, good, v good and if a restaurant has a dish that has the best thing you have ever put in your mouth, that rates it on another level than the others. Imoto is on that last level. The four of us ordered eight items and three came to that standard. This is the second time we have eaten there and I was very pleased that Imoto came through again; this time we did not order bread (from Buccan) to sop-up all the remaining sauce from a dish like we did the last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly great foodTouristjimDined on 3/22/2014In a small city (Palm Beach) known for its high-end restaurants this is the best of the best. Price typically moderately high but food imaginative and incredibly good. Was worth of Valentine's Day dinner and then another trip back. Could eat there every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inventive Sushi - finally - in PBrajnycVIPDined on 3/13/2014Imoto features classic sashimi and nigiri but if you go, sample the special nigiri; each one we tried paid homage to the fresh fish with inventive flavors to complement our choice... including lemon, lemongrass, jalapeño, almond... you get the idea. Go to Imoto. Its wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Sushi lovers onlyellencVIPDined on 2/26/2014My husband and friend love sushi and thought the Sushi was very good. I don't eat sushi and was hoping for some better alternate choices. We were here once before and I had the very expensive beef dish-it was not edible, very chewy, but i didn't complain. I have been reluctant to return. However someone told me I could order some food from their sister restaurant, which I confirmed with the hostess. When we were seated our server said the policy has changed and I had to order from the menu at hand. She recommended the spicy chicken. Wow-was it spicy! It was way too spicy, and had pieces that were chewy. It was also not attractive on the plate. I didn't complain but didn't eat much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itSummerresidentDined on 2/3/2014Simple, not too heavy and very good Asian food. The duck tacos are a standout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Personal opinionDaveDined on 1/26/2014The waiters do not have a good understanding of Sake, therefore you are on your own. I recommend looking at their sake list on their website before going and be prepared to pick your own. Overall, very nice waiters, good sushi and nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to Imoto manyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/22/2014I have been to Imoto many times, as well as Buccan. I specifically chose Imoto that night because it would be quieter than Buccan. However, there was a screaming (not crying) infant in the restaurant that had been there over an hour and half way into our meal. I understand the awkward situation this creates for the restaurant but they should have asked the family with the child to step outside or leave. It is not fair to all of the other patrons in this small restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- IMOTODONALDDined on 1/19/2014NOT WHAT I HAD EXPECTED...FOOD WAS "DIFFERENT" BUT ENJOYABLE....HAD A HARD TIME GETTING A RESERVATION USING OPEN TABLE AND WHEN WE WENT THERE WAS ONLY ONE OTHER PERSON IN THE RESTURANT AND WHEN WE LEFT 2 HOURS LATER IT WAS LESS THEN HALF FUL...WHEN I INQUIRED AS TO WHY WE COULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN A MORE RESONABLE TIME....REPLY WAS "THAT'S THE WAY THE OPEN TABLE SOFTWARE WORKS "....WHAT'S THAT ALL ABOUTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine later after 9OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/18/2014Tables are tightly spaced, expect to hear your neighbor's conversation. Request the sushi bar for seating, not a table. Duck tacos were good but the cauliflower/raisin/cashews is unexpectedly terrific. Uneven service by the waiter, a sign that a constant stream of patrons wasn't the norm. Dependable quality but not extraordinary sashimi - sushi rolls were 30 minutes in the making, perhaps because we ordered from each category after completing the shared dish (didn't place the entire order all at once.)Special Features:
- Wonderful ServiceDanielleVIPDined on 12/29/2013I am gluten intolerant and the server went out of his way to make sure all the food was GF including making dishes with GF soy sauce. It was an excellent meal and we will defiantly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buccan's Little Sister Shines Too!Pfd1234VIPDined on 12/27/2013The best sushi on the Island--and terrific small bites. It is very small, and reservations are a must--but this is a "go-to" for those in the know. Try the duck tacos or, I kid you not, the curried cauliflower. Don't ask how--it just works.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2013A excellent addition to a town that was sorely lacking in sushi. The menu is compact, original, and does not pander; there is very little in the way of mayo or deep-fried sushi. Loved everything I ate, and enjoyed the influence of Buccãn, the big sister next door, on the menu.Special Features:
- Excellent upscale sushiZenanaDined on 10/12/2013Very pleasantly surprised to find quality of sushi excellent, along with very good service and an engaging, hip atmosphere. Felt younger and trendier than other palm beach restaurants. Beats many other local sushi spots for quality. Have strongly recommended to several friends already. Prices are about the same as other sushi places. We will alternate between here and Sushi Bon in Lantana which has been our longtime favorite. Recommend the scallop and sea eel nigiri, duck tacos, choc chip cookie for dessert but it was all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemCookyDined on 9/7/2013Like going around the corner where the noise level is low and the service is great.Special Features:
- Loved it.FoodsnobVIPDined on 9/4/2013Wow, just like it's sister restaurant Buccan, it will blow you away. The drinks were superb (we highly recommend El Diablo made with passion fruit, soooo good...) The sushi was excellent and the duck tacos to die for. The burger was so fresh and gourmetish I could actually crave it, and I've never been big on burgers. Can't wait to go back :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't goWombatDined on 8/24/2013Mediocre food and exorbitant prices. My hamburger at $16.00 was OK, but an order of French Fries was $7.00 in addition. Greasy, overcooked and luke warm on arrival. Other than apparently being a pickup joint for singles, I see no charm about the place and no reason to go. An almost total waste of money and time.