Il Vicinato Ristorante
2435 S Western Ave
Chicago, IL 60608Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Vicinato Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilvicinatochicago.com/
- Phone: (773) 927-5444
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11 AM to 10 PM
Friday -11 AM to 11 PM
Saturday- Noon to 11 PM
Sunday - Noon to 8 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
A word from Il Vicinato Ristorante
IL Vicinato is immersed in the Heart of Chicago’s Little Italy Neighborhood. This authentic piece of Italy is a hidden gem that has passionately created dishes from old world recipes for 40 years. Appetizers are a great start with such favorites as twice Baked Clams, Red Roasted Peppers, and Grilled Octopus. Our signature dishes include Homemade Veal Ravioli’s, Chicken Vesuvio, and Steak Rinaldo that will make your dining experience an event to remember. If you save room, choose from one of our delectable desserts! We have daily specials; some created and named after customers. Our welcoming atmosphere and family orientated staff will make you a “regular.” Customers come from city and suburbs alike to dine with us. Corporate events welcomed. Dishes are plentiful and accompanied by an extensive wine list and full bar. Great stop before United Center, U.S. Cell and Soldier Field. See us at Check Please, and a recent review by CLTV Chicago's Best.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Vicinato Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (6)notable wine list (4)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (3)romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Always good!gene68Dined on 11/11/2014This place never disappoints with their food. While the service was very slow on Tueaday (which is unusual), the food was fantastic as always. Guests from New York said it was the best lasagna they'd ever eaten. Try the steak rinaldo (tenderloin sauteed in garlic and olive oil with spinach on the side) and pasta roger (mostaciolli in cream sauce with peas and spinach) Il Vicinato is so off the beaten path that out of towners love the old Chicago feel to it.Special Features:
- Great Italian food and serviceAAMI71VIPDined on 11/8/2014Appreciate the authenticity and the wonderful service. Portions were VERY generous. Suggest you may want to share, especially if you want to try their home made desserts.Special Features:
- Excellent food and ServicempburrowsDined on 11/7/2014Although a little out of the way Il Vicinato is a great find. The food was delicious and the service extremely friendly. I particularly recommend the house made gnocchi. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss Il Vincinato RistoranteMmaureenVIPDined on 11/1/2014This has become a favorite restaurant of me and my husband. The food and service are outstanding. The menu is very extensive, but there are always some excellent specials, as well. The baked clams are the best in the city. They also have an excellent wine list. If you want a real Chicago Italian experience, Il Vincinato Ristorante is the best. It is a short ride from downtown and you will find the prices and experience superior to many downtown restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family dinner spotJillPBDined on 11/1/2014Went here for a large family dinner last weekend. Super friendly and helpful staff. We ate, drank, & caught up for hours. Never felt rushed. The family style option is great for a large party. Had the chicken they're supposedly known for, but it was way overcooked. Try the pasta roger! It was delish. Their homemade ravioli were great too. The antipasto salad was ok. Awesome fried calamari and some decent Italian red wines to choose from. Overall, a wonderful experience we'd go back to again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old FavoriteKsp48Dined on 10/27/2014We eat here often. The food and service are very good. Its unpretentious and an excellent place for dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/18/2014Most delicious Italian food, excellent service and great atmosphere! Loved it and will definitely return when in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- heidwriteDined on 8/21/2014Combines excellent, traditional dishes with professional wait staff in a friendly neighborhood way. Reasonable wine list. Both a comfortable, classic urban Italian dining room as well as a good-sized bar to eat in if you need to keep up with a game. So many choices to eat Italian in Chicago, but when I want someplace for a family gathering or some place just comfortable without compromising on food, Il Vicinato is the place.Special Features:
- Real Deal ItalianChipDined on 8/16/2014I grew up in the Philadelphia area and had many great Italian restaurant options. Since moving to the Denver area, I have been hard pressed to find anything that approached those Philly Italian restaurants. I was in Chicago dropping my son off at college and we found Il Vicinato on-line. What a find! This is real deal, old school, and reasonable (for Chicago) Italian food. I have tried several of the Italian Restaurants in Chicago's Little Italy (Taylor Street), but nothing comes close to Il Vicinato. It is off the beaten path, but don't let that keep you from going. The regular menu was really great, but the specials were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great family placedannyDined on 8/10/2014your server was very accommodating and attentive. the ambiance was old world and it was the perfect place for a sunday afternooon meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestPandsDined on 8/2/2014One of the best. The veal ravioli is their specialty although I haven't had a bad meal. The antipasto salad for the table is a must. The staff is excellent.Special Features:
- The following 116 reviews are from the Il Vicinato Ristorante reviews archive.
- Overall great experienceCarlaDined on 6/25/2014The food was quite a surprise! I ordered the black fettuccine with lobster, scallops and shrimp and it was excellent. My husband ordered the Veal ravioli and that was also very tasty. The home-made cheesecake was to die for. The service was also exceptional. Will definitely make a return trip to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss Il VicinatoMmaureenVIPDined on 6/14/2014Il Vincinato is one of the best restaurants in Chicago. The menu is comprehensive with great specials every evening. I love the preparation of their fish dishes. The twice-baked clams are awesome and the chopped salad delicious. This is a warm, welcoming restaurant with outstanding service. Just a short taxi ride from downtown, this is a restaurant you should not miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quintessential ItalianRickCDined on 6/13/2014Il Vincinato is my favorite restaurant on the planet. I am myself full-blooded Italian, and thus a harsh critic of Italian restaurants. This place fits all bills: The food is fantastic, the service is friendly and accommodating, and the ambiance is what one sees in old movies. Try it! Immediately!Special Features:
- Classic ItalianwinendinemeDined on 6/1/2014Dinner was delicious, they have the best homemade ravioli around. We love the pizza bread and zucchini appetizers. Service was fine, we did not fell rushed at all. One of the last great original places for excellent Italian. I would get here more often if it was closer to where I live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicedonlennyDined on 6/1/2014Went here before a Blackhawks game late afternoon on a sunday. My date and I sat in the front bar area of the restaurant.The specials were on a chalkboard next to the bar. Our waiter was excellent! Decsribed the specials and entire menu along with the wine list. For an appetizer had crab cakes which were excellent. Dinner (cant remember the exact name) had pasta shells stuffed with beef and peas covered in a spicy tomato sauce. Huge portions and the taste was incredible. No room for desert! Excellent service, excellent food, excellent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationSugarDined on 5/20/2014Brought a cake for after dinner and Ben put candles on it and came out signing happy birthday. What a surprise and treat. Food was great, authentic Italian! Had a great time and even got the round table I requested.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner!MmaureenVIPDined on 5/18/2014We took friends from out of town to Il Vicanato. We had a wonderful evening. As always, the twice baked clams and chopped salad were a perfect start to the evening. We enjoyed wonderful dinners of pasta and fish, as well as red and white wine. The service was excellent and the ambience warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Amazing and authentic Italian foodJessSyd95Dined on 5/17/2014Very delicious and fresh food. Everyone enjoyed the food and loved the relax family and kid friendly environment. There were approx. 12 in our party and the waiter seamlessly catered to our every request and question. We did not feel rushed and were asked by several people if we were ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian:always want you to be happyFranmanDined on 5/10/2014Had to get my chicken vesuvio fix; as usual, outstanding! Great thing about the Veech is 1) they have great daily specials; the Fettucine with fresh seafood sounded delicious, as did the veal & fresh fish special (I had to go with my Vesuvio though) 2) their listed menu options are always delicious: my wife had the veal saltimbocca-no leftovers, no sir! 3) if you can describe an Italian dish, they'll prepare it for you, no questions asked. Desserts are almost all homemade: Tiramisu, very good; and the Chocolate homemade cake was really decadent! Service was well intentioned but several times we were wondering where he went. One of the groups had about 10 people in it & was a little over the top loud. Unusual noise though for the Veech.Special Features:
- Italian & funSuperchlorinalDined on 5/10/2014I didn't realize this neighborhood or this neighborhood restaurant existed until I read about it in the Tribune. Had a great time wandering around on an early Saturday afternoon, seeing all the houses & restaurants that went back several decades. Even though Vicinato's was obviously gearing up for a busy Saturday night, they made us feel very welcome for a late Saturday lunch. Oh, what a wonderful lunch it was, from the bottle of wine and bread & breadsticks in the basket to the veal ravioli & lobster ravioli that was our lunch. Perfect day, great service & very, very good food-Highly recommend!Special Features:
- This place has not changedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014This place has not changed the "look inside" for a long time its like a trip to the past up the food is still good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent. TheKeymari23Dined on 4/11/2014The food was excellent. The waiter was very informative and patient. The spinach fettuccine with shrimp, lobster and scallops in vodka sauce was to die for....loved it!!!! I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining ExperienceCocoDined on 3/28/2014I made a reservation for my husband's birthday at the last minute because we decided not to go to the restaurant we originally planned. I'm so glad we went. The food was delicious, the wine was great (I'm not a wine drinker) and the service was excellent. They even sang happy birthday to my husband without me requesting it. And it was reasonably priced. I will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Vicinato never failsAmtocDined on 3/22/2014We have been eating here for close to 20 years. No matter the occasion, Il Vicinato never fails to impress. We have been here romantic dinners, rehearsal dinners, dinner with friends, lunch alone and even brought our staff of 25 here once! We have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- needs some updatingFoodie5Dined on 3/16/2014the food is good and they know how to cook it but it seems they are taking short cuts and much of the "good quality" food was frozen. Their special appetizer was mushy and over the top to where it was not good someone needs to take chargeSpecial Features:
- AmazingSammihowardDined on 3/15/2014Even not the most convenient from downtown it was worth the journey. Great menu and service was Amazing. The waiter drove us to the train since we couldn't get a taxi!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestLucyDined on 3/14/2014You want great Italian food this is the place. If you don't see it on the menu they will make. The ravioli (homemade) was as little as a feather. They were delish! Service couldn't be nicer and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulAlexsJeanDined on 3/7/2014Food is great. Waiter very knowledgeable about food on the menu. Service quick and efficientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Vicinato is Italian forJimSDined on 3/7/2014Il Vicinato is Italian for "the neighborhood." Love the name and the place. This neighborhood gem located just off Western on 24th Place has an excellent traditional menu. Loved the ravioli with meat sauce. The list of specials is impressive, and includes fresh fish prepared with some very fine sauces. Pistachio gelato for dessert--excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We discovered Il VicinatoMarkVIPDined on 2/25/2014We discovered Il Vicinato from a Trib article on "The Other Little Italy." We loved the place. Ambiance is traditional Italian. However, they were willing to make whatever we requested. For dietary reasons, I took their recipe for Veal alla Scallopine alla paramigiana and had them do it with chicken. And the canaloni was to die for.Special Features:
- Great FoodPaulVDined on 2/23/2014Great food at a reasonable price. Authentic food with pleasant and efficient service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delicious ClassicCindyDined on 2/16/2014This is the first time I've been to Il Vicinato and it was a treat from the start. Comfortable atmosphere, friendly service, classic Italian offerings. - fresh and delicious. But even more - that special glow that only comes with time and history. In a city where restaurants change so fast, it's nice to visit one that has stood the test of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was excellent.Linda1955VIPDined on 2/15/2014Everything was excellent. Definitely will come back.Special Features:
- semi pleasant experienceozzieDined on 2/14/2014the over all experience was decent, my girlfriend and i were ignored by the server on multiple occasions and were only really tended to when we asked for our check. server had to take our order twice because he forgot to write it down the first time. the drinks were left empty throughout the duration of the actual meal even though we asked for refills although the meal itself was AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very authentic Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/11/2014Very authentic Italian restaurant with all the staples you crave. Excellent selection of wine. Romantic ambiance with décor reminiscent of Italy itself. Definitely a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great place to eat...JimPDined on 1/31/2014Had a group of 9 for lunch last week, what a great time. Thanks Felipe, Ben and Walter. You guys are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large groups ask for a round tableKathytmVIPDined on 1/25/2014We had a group of 8 people and were stuffed around a rectangle table squeezed between bar end and windows. People sitting at the bar were right on top of us and had to move if we wanted to get out of our seat. It was not a good spot. If you are in a large group, request a round table or at least not by the bar. That way they can't squeeze you into the same spot we were.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still WaitingstillwaitingDined on 1/25/2014We had reservations at 6:15PM, pulled up to the restaurant a little after 6:00PM. There was no parking around the area so we opted to valet. We waited in the valet line for ten minutes only to have the attendant walk up to the car and tell us the lot was full. He didnt offer an alternative, ask if we had reservations or even apologize. So we went to Rosebud and had a great meal.
- FireSJS1Dined on 1/24/2014While we were finishing up our meal an electrical fire erupted right outside the restaurant, due to icy conditions. The servers and manager were very gracious, continuously offering wine and drinks on the house. The fire department wouldn't allow us to leave for a while after the fire, so the entire place kind of became one big community. My friend and I ended up sitting and drinking wine even after we were allowed to leave. I will definitely go back.Special Features: