Il Toscano - Douglaston
42-05 235 St.
Douglaston, NY 11363Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Il Toscano - Douglaston
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://iltoscanony.com/
- Phone: 7186310300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: John Binder
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please see our website iltoscanony.com for details
You may also call 718-631-0300 and ask for Alex or Arturo
- Private Party Facilities: The Wine room and Sky room are both available for private events or wine dinners.
We have our Table X which is in a secluded part of the dining room and can accommodate up to 5 persons (advanced reservations required).
Check out our Country Style Tuscan Table upstairs!
See ILTOSCANONY.COM for photos, menu and details.
- Private Party Contact: Alex Privilegi 7186310300
A word from Il Toscano - Douglaston
For almost three decades, Il Toscano has been known for taking fresh, seasonal ingredients and preparing sumptuous Northern Italian style cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Il Toscano - Douglaston - Best Restaurants in Douglaston ›
Il Toscano - Douglaston reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)special occasion (34)fit for foodies (33)romantic (24)notable wine list (16)good for groups (14)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Pricey for what you are gettingNovember2013Dined on 9/14/2014I thought the food was good, but overpriced. We were surprised when the bill came considering there was only 2 glasses of wine & 1 salad consumed in addition to the entrees & dessert, which normally would drive up the bill cost. Portion size was fine, nothing large. Looks to be mostly neighborhood folks and it was very busy on a Sunday night. Bit difficult to find if you are coming from outside Douglaston as there are a lot of one way streets and GPS did not recognize do not enter signs! It's on the north side of the LIRR station.Special Features:
- good option in the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014a bit pricey, but not surprising considering the area. went with a group and the service was very attentive. some of us had the set menu, which had great options. awesome and would order again - calamari, lasagna, veal meatballs, chicken breast with risotto. would not order again - hanger steak (although the mashed potato that it came with was awesome!) and rib eye (it's not a steakhouse so this wasn't surprising). OK entrees - shrimp and the pastas. great for the area and would recommend people in the vicinity give it a go. the host was also very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodTonyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Excellent choice for 2 to 6 or a large party. The food is always good the wines are always new and interesting. Ask Alex to select for you and you're in for a nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive but worth it.foodie1VIPDined on 8/29/2014We were five for dinner. Getting there is an adventure because, although it's on Dougleston Parkway,there are so many forks as you approach that it's difficult not to get lost. Anyway, it's well worth the trip. To begin with, the wine list is out of sight in price. It starts at 40$ and rapidly rises from there. My wife and I shared a pasta dish--malfatti-- that was quite good, but the surprise of the evening was their signature dish--two one-pound lobsters,out of the shell, for sixty dollars! We shared the dish, and it was amazingly good--plenty of meat with a delicious sauce. Our friends had a fish dish, which they were very happy with. Desserts were great--my wife and I shared a very thick and delicious chocolate mousse.We will return.Special Features:
- A treatFoodieDined on 8/27/2014This place is too expensive to be a regular to me, but the food is very well prepared and the staff is way better than average. I would like a list of specials that include the price. I'd like a wine list with prices. I would like them to throw a few biscotti's on the table with the check.Special Features:
- High End ItalianOBGemVIPDined on 8/16/2014Always a really fine dining experience with excellent food and very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy NightGloriousfoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed the delicious special shrimp over risotto dinner after a delectable salad which invcluded stuffed figs.we enjoyed the quiet table in the alcove conducive for very private conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Time a Charm.carnage819Dined on 7/29/2014Returning here was like going home after a vacation. A warm welcome and we were brought to our table and the polite and professional staff took over taking great care of us and with food this good it makes for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Consistently greatGdubsDined on 7/25/2014Food is great, service is great and friendly and extremely convenient with a big lot right there and right off the LIRR. This is a hidden gem.Special Features:
- Wonderful food!LovetoeatgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/19/2014My family and I have always had a great meal. The service is great. The specials are always delicious. Very fresh and homemade. The staff is very kind and knowledgeable. Must have the lasagna. Grandma's secret recipe. Order for the table and share.Special Features:
- Best local betRonchefdocVIPDined on 7/17/2014Always reliable. Maura has passed most of it along to Alex and Alex maintains the tradition of excellence and customer service.Special Features:
- GloriousfoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Four of us were accommodated in the private alcove and enjoyed ourselves immensely.their signature lobster dish was as good as always.Great drinks and wonderful food and a noise level conducive for conversation.Special Features:
- Attentive wait staffNinaVIPDined on 7/12/2014The wait staff were all very pleasant and attentive. They even provided a candle and wished me happy birthday even if my husband did not request for it. While ordering our shared appetizer and salad, my husband just mentioned that I could decide since it was my day. The restaurant itself is very cozy. However, I was a bit disappointed with their jumbo shrimp entree. Since I always go to a fish market, I have seen and bought real jumbo shrimps. The shrimps served were not jumbo. But I will go back because I love the service and coziness of the restaurant.Special Features:
- fantastic,,,,carnage819Dined on 7/8/2014Thus restaurant was recommended by a friend that goes there often.. To me it's always a little awkward walking into a new place but I have to admit the staff could not have been any nicer. Everyone was so polite and professional, I felt like a regular instantly. The food was spectacular, the ribeye steak and veal chop were among the best I have had... Love this place and will certainly be going backSpecial Features:
- Really nice dinnerJudyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Dinner Saturday night was great. Not as crowded as usual due to holiday. We really enjoy and recommend il toscano. Judy and stanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IL TOSCANO, AMAZING AS ALWAYSFoodieLoriVIPDined on 6/22/2014Always consistant, always delicious, and always wonderful service. Mauro and Alex are gracious and attentive to all of their customers. Wonderful wine list! From the most delicious homemade pastas, amazing Foie Gras, duck and veal, always excellent fish dishes to their famous Lobster Il Toscano, we love dining there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCRBLIVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had not dined here in more than 10 years--not because we had a bad experience but because it was always very difficult to get a reservation at the last minute (which we often like to do). Friends suggested it and it was even better than we remembered. I had the rack of lam that was outstanding--best I have had in a very long time. My friends had the lobster and the veal which were also excellent. I will definitely be heading back.Special Features:
- Good food but not impressedpinkylorrDined on 6/21/2014Although the food was good, we were not regulars and did not receive the warm 'welcome' or attention that others did ( i.e., the confusion as to whether or not I kept our reservation.) The restaurant was overcrowded. The tables were so close I could have easily joined in the conversation of my neighboring tables. In order to use the restroom you had to move sideways between tables. A heavy person would have a problem. We did not see the waiters except to bring food or drink. No one came to ask if everything was okay. The mussels were excellent as was my veal but we will not be returning.Special Features:
- Father's Day MealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014We had a good time at il Toscano. The food was very good and the price fixe gave a nice selection of options. Wine list is extremely over priced with some wines triple what you would pay retail. That's just not nice. If. You enjoy fine wine you won't enjoy paying a 300% markup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentMarcVIPDined on 6/14/2014We are continually impressed and always happy to bring new friends with us to your wonderful restaurant. Having visited dozens of times, we have never had a bad dinner. Saturday eve was no exception. Your specials of Kiwi Mussels and Lobster Toscano were superb. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinestrongDined on 6/14/2014In 20 years of dining here occasionally I have never been disappointed. Each time I am surprised at the quality of the food. What a wonderful restaurant and I highly recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ManhattansashaDined on 6/6/2014Food is always consistently good. Fish excellent. Great Italian standbySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the better onesGloriousfoodieVIPDined on 6/4/2014Had a wonderful evening with friends...the food was delectable! We were able to enjoy conversing without "screaming!" Drinks were perfectly made and the service was absolutely attentive. The dessert. Which we shared was awesome!! We shall return shortly.Special Features:
- A Douglaston DelightfoodforthoughtDined on 6/3/2014Always great go to place for special occasion without kids. Arturo was our waiter. He always selects a great Super Tuscan. We had fresh mozzarella and veal t-bone and skirt steak special .We finished sharing a napoleon. A little pricey but food and wait staff are well worth it. Highly recommended .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!garyVIPDined on 5/31/2014Food and service are great, you pay for it though. Recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TopsqueezeVIPDined on 5/31/2014Food here consistently good but menu is limited, although they have daily specials. Seems to me that the printed menu used to have more selection.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014Prices a bit steep. The wine list did not have a bottle of wine under $ 40. The wine I had was a $13 bottle of wine in the store that cost $ 40Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 128 reviews are from the Il Toscano - Douglaston reviews archive.
- Eddie37Dined on 5/24/2014extremely enjoyable. great food and terrific service. would go back many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantDrdentalDined on 5/24/2014Love this local Italian eatery. Been there several times before and always had a great meal. Service is excellent.Special Features:
- So Many Good DishessamstoneDined on 5/23/2014So many good dishes hard to choose. Some of the best Italian old world food around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER DISAPPOINTS!BoxaroxDined on 5/18/2014We have eaten here many times over the years. This Sunday we arrived later than usual and missed the rush so the room was quieter and less frenetic than earlier experiences. That said, the service is always attentive without being intrusive. The menu is varied and interesting. The food is exceptionally well prepared and well presented. Although we are not regulars, we were greeted warmly by the host and have always felt valued and welcomed. The only problem is deciding among old favorites and new specials! The ambience is upscale without being stuffy. Overall a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Toscano=InnovationEricDined on 5/11/2014Il Toscano clearly is striving to reach a place in the top shelf restaurants and for Queens it definitely has succeeded. Not only do you see traditional dishes but you will also find innovative and well crafted dishes unique to the chef's vision. Everything we had was delicious and properly prepared. The same can be said of the desserts. Even traditional desserts are (de)constructed and again very well crafted, props to chef and if he has one, the pastry chef as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the tripSignNDineVIPDined on 4/26/2014We only go to Il Tascono as it is 1/2 way between our home and NYC, so good place to meet city friends. The food is fair and overpriced for what is served. One of our main courses had to go back as stone cold after waiting a long time for it. The lasagna is always overcooked and mushy. The room is noisey and chairs need new cushions. One bright spot was the Napleon for dessert--excellent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/24/2014have been going to Il Toscano for many many years and enjoy it every time we go!! food is excellent. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceFlushingeaterDined on 4/20/2014Easter Sunday. One staff member ushering us upstairs telling us to continue on to our table (6 of us). Upstairs, we have another staff telling us to wait like a tug of war. We're in the way waiters hustling around us we're hovering around tables. We sat and waited for service. One of our party was a few minutes late but the staff should have served us better. We were the stealth table. People came after us-- ate and left long before us. Three hours. We had dessert but no coffees until several minutes AFTER we finished the desserts. It was almost like no one wanted to be there. Also confusion with the valet parking. The attendant could not explain the procedure at all. I'm not giving my keys to someone to park at a train station.Special Features:
- Easter dinnerMareVIPDined on 4/20/2014Service was not the best. Waited to long for our food. Food is excellent as always. When we left they called me back that I didn't pay the full bill. Very embarrassing. It was there error n not mine. They were not very nice about it n did it very poorly. N never apologized We waited over 1 nor for our appetizers. N they screwed up one main course n never said anything so one of us had to wait for the correct dish to arrive while we were all eating. We have been there many times before n this nevr happened. Thank god the food is great if not I would never return.Special Features:
- Good Italian FareFoodieVIPDined on 4/18/2014The food was well prepared and cooked to perfection. The staff was efficient and pleasant . One could hold a conversation without ambient noise which difficult to find in many restaurants. I would return here when I am in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secret in QueenslarbongDined on 3/28/2014Il Toscano is one of my favorite places to eat but usually only go just for special occasions. Locals talk about other Italian restaurants in the surrounding area but this little (actually not so little) restaurant is far superior to them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lobsterJbkaDined on 3/26/2014Come to il Toscana especially for fantastic lobster mealSpecial Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Everything cooked to perfection. I had the calamari and the angus steak and would highly recommend both dishes. My husband had the lasagna and said it was the best he ever had. If you are looking for a date night this may be the perfect restaurant or even with a group. Expect there to be a wait even with reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.