16 W. 56th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.iltinellony.com/
- Phone: (212) 245-4388
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Il Tinello
Blending 26 years of tradition with innovative Italian cooking, Il Tinello provides a rich experience that can only be matched by its delicious menu. The quality Italian ingredients, spectacular wine list and impeccable service showcase the restaurant's heritage, while the classy decoration brings new energy to every meal. The fresh homemade pastas, regional ingredients and diverse wine list boast of what's to come, yet the classics and traditions continue to tempt. Never intimidating and always comfortable, Il Tinello delivers an experience that is perfect to celebrate your big day or every day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Tinello reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (43)fit for foodies (36)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (30)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (8)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- THE ROYAL TREATMENTEnigma1100VIPDined on 11/18/2014Outstanding, outstanding,outstanding! Food and ambiance are devine. Service is unmatched!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodNRfoodieDined on 11/14/2014We had been here once before and had a delicious, quiet meal with friends. We were attempting to replicate that and this time, were seated in the back where there was a loud group in the corner. Ah well. The food and service were very good, with the Dover sole a real treat. The gracious service helped to smooth things over. We would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always a wonderful experienceJeanieBeanieDined on 11/13/2014Have been dining at Il Tinello for about 30 years. Its quality has never changed - the food is superb, the wait staff attentive, but not intrusive. It's a beautiful gem and look forward to our next visit when we get to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Starting to lose groundBarrowStResidentDined on 11/10/2014Il Tinello has been a mainstay for me for years as a terrific high-end formal Italian restaurant. As I got older, the average age of the clientele aged ahead of me, indicating to me a limited future for the restaurant, but it appears the restaurant is losing its edge ahead of schedule. The food and service was always five-star, but for the last couple of visits both have dropped to four-star. I will keep dining there and hope it will get back to its prior quality.Special Features:
- expensiveDisappointedDined on 11/7/2014While upscale, I thought the quality of the food did not match the prices. The carbonara was mediocre at best; the sole at $69 was flat. i would not return.Special Features:
- Expensive but worth itPamRVIPDined on 11/6/2014We were prepared for the prices and the taste of our food. It really lived up to the recommendation we received from a friend who comes here everytime he is in NYC. My friend had the antipasto and the lambchops (absolutely exquisite) and I had the snapper with a tri-colored salad (endive, radicchio, and arugula - also fantastic. The service was wonderful - very attentive and courteous! Will be back next year or before!Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/1/2014Held small family reunion last Saturday. Excellent food with terrific service including some table-side cooking (Order the Caesar salad)Special Features:
- Great Food...WineboyDined on 10/28/2014but pricey...wine list selective and expensive. Orecchiete with Broccoli Raab & Sausage was excellent. Great Italian fareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and serviceLouVDined on 10/16/2014This restaurant is a great place for a special celebration or a corporate lunch. The only downside is that it is an extremely expensive place. There are great italian restaurants in NYC that have just as good food and are a lot more reasonable in price. Be prepared to spend some bucks when you go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/14/2014Overall great experience. Gave it 4 stars overall instead of 5 because of noise level. We were there on a Tuesday evening. All tables were full and the noise level was enough to make conversation a little difficult at times. I had the dover sole which was excellent.
- Best ItaliansusanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Every time we visit NY we eat here. We have never been disappointed. I have sent several friends & this is now one of their favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian elegant diningPastaholicVIPDined on 10/3/2014Stumbled upon this Italian gem in the heart of Manhattan walking distance from our hotel on Central Park South. Il Tinello is now on our list of top 10 favorite restaurants and best dining in NYC. Dining experience was reminiscent of the finest we have had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food EVER!staciLAVIPDined on 9/25/2014We love this place! Every time I go to NYC from L.A. I have to come here! The food is outstanding. The ambiance is old school nyc. The service is amazing. The chicken piccata is the best I've ever had in my life!Special Features:
- classic gemSeattleMaisieDined on 9/22/2014Lovely atmosphere with well spaced tables. Excellent, unpretentious, unobtrusive, friendly service. High quality ingredients and delicious preparations. It's obvious why il Tinello has been successful for so long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ajdlVIPDined on 9/18/2014ok, but nothing special, and way overpriced for what it is.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/16/2014Small portions for price but well prepared and tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible servicenitramVIPDined on 9/16/2014The food was excellent but the service was horrible. They seemed to only care about the "regulars."
- A Pleasant SurpriseFoodismyjamDined on 9/6/2014After a less than impressive NYC lunch, I was skeptical of trying a new restaurant for dinner. However, the adventurous side of me still wanted to try something new. Well, I was quite impressed with Il Tinello's food and service. A very attentive (yet all-male) wait staff made our dining experience feel old-world and almost like we were dining in Italy. They made our children feel welcome and important. The bruschetta we received first was delicious! The table-side Caesar salad was one of the best and the fresh pasta with marinara sauce was outstanding (we ordered a half order to split and I wish I had a full order all to myself!). The desserts were also yummy. The recommended fruit tart did not disappoint! We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningKarenKVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything about this restaurant was excellent. The service, the ambience and the food were outstanding. The bartender made the best Cosmopolitans I've ever had. This is a real old fashioned Italian gem. It's hard to find restaurants with this level of classic italian cuisine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014One of my go to favorites even back to the days with MarioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceSCBillDined on 8/30/2014Great food served by a dynamite staff. The whole evening was enjoyable!! The wait staff was on their game and took care of our every need. Food selection was fantastic and served in a timely manner.Special Features:
- Excellent, Simply ExcellentsamyedsVIPDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I eat out more often than two people should. We seek the best. Il Tinello was everything we ask for. Great Atmosphere, Great Service & Great Food. I doubt you'd find many restaurants that could compare. One of NY's finest and that's saying something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great but...RichBVIPDined on 8/23/2014Our captain and waiter made the evening enjoyable. The Caesar salad table side was spectacular. We were however underwhelmed with the main course. Veal saltimbocca was over cooked, salty and the prosciutto was was rubbery. Dessert also failed to impress. Overall not a place I would return especially factoring the premium prices.
- SunshineSuninthemorning25aVIPDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant, the food and service were spectacular!Special Features:
- Old school but pasta isn't fresh?!TravelingfoodieDined on 8/20/2014I definitely recommend for an old school experience. Amazing food, great desserts, great ambience. Major pitfall was that I ordered a side of pasta and it wasn't freshly prepared?!????!!!! Very disappointing for such an upscale restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good. Great FindDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was excellent and we really enjoyed our meal.Special Features:
- no complaints!masterspyDined on 8/13/2014Good overall but a little too expensive for a standard Italian restaurant even if in midtown Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!EliotVIPDined on 8/13/2014Beautiful ambience, perfectly executed cuisine and service. It doesn't get better than this.Special Features:
- consistently greatSeanVIPDined on 8/12/2014We never fail to dine here when in NY. The Caesar salad is simply the finest on earth (make sure Daniel makes it). The scampi fra diavola was fantastic, just the right spice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuonoevebVIPDined on 8/12/2014Lovely restaurant with the best type of older traditions such as gracious service , warm welcome, quality ingredients and lovely presentation. The food is excellent too. Just wish it wasn't so expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable serviceCatherineDined on 8/8/2014Delicious Italian cuisine and impeccable service. We loved the antipasto and pasta dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointedLadyoftheoaksVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was not very good at all. Shrimp were rubbery, broccoli rab stringy, chicken dish was odd. Decor is out-dated. There are much better Italian restaurants in the city.
- wayneVIPDined on 8/2/2014every.thing was spot on except the price.Way overpricedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014I brought a good client with me and thought it was a 5 star restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 293 reviews are from the Il Tinello reviews archive.
- Old school ItalianzoltocVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our visit was very nice. A carbonara appetizer was not as creamy as would be optimal. The lamb special was truly outstanding. The chocolate cake was somewhat dry. Overall, quite acceptable.
- Great service!BetzanddaveVIPDined on 7/25/2014The service here is impeccable! The food is delicious and they don't rush you but they stay on top of things! Bartender made my cocktail exactly the way I like it and the zucchini flowers stuffed with ricotta were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If its good enough for ...TobbadeVIPDined on 7/22/2014Mr Icahn and Mr. Silverstein, ... A wonderful and magnificent experience as always. Il Tinello has become my favorite go-to midtown Italian. A treasure.Special Features:
- crystalmompa5Dined on 7/22/2014Food was very good. Old world ambiance. Service was great. The only suggestion I would make is that the reason we came here was we had heard about the five star caesar salad.... unforutnately, it was good but not great... to take the caesar salad to a notable level, they should add some homemade garlic croutons, splash of fresh lemon and perhaps offer anchovies for those that might like.Special Features:
- Great food!traveldinersVIPDined on 7/16/2014We took the advice of other reviewers and were very glad we did! The food was great! My normally picky husband cannot stop talking about his dinner. He wanted to go back 2 nights later. It wa a bit noisy, but no more than any at other place we eat. The service was swift and courteous. We will definitely be back when we visit New York again!Special Features:
- Old School at its best!JPinNYCVIPDined on 7/16/2014This is not the place for a quick meal. It's several courses and the food is great! The service is great and reminds me of dining in parts of Italy when meals did took time and you got to have a good conversation.