16 W. 56th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.iltinellony.com/
- Phone: 2122454388
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Il Tinello
Blending 26 years of tradition with innovative Italian cooking, Il Tinello provides a rich experience that can only be matched by its delicious menu. The quality Italian ingredients, spectacular wine list and impeccable service showcase the restaurant's heritage, while the classy decoration brings new energy to every meal. The fresh homemade pastas, regional ingredients and diverse wine list boast of what's to come, yet the classics and traditions continue to tempt. Never intimidating and always comfortable, Il Tinello delivers an experience that is perfect to celebrate your big day or every day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Tinello reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)romantic (32)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (25)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (8)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014This restaurant is a great place for a special celebration or a corporate lunch. The only downside is that it is an extremely expensive place. There are great italian restaurants in NYC that have just as good food and are a lot more reasonable in price. Be prepared to spend some bucks when you go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/14/2014Overall great experience. Gave it 4 stars overall instead of 5 because of noise level. We were there on a Tuesday evening. All tables were full and the noise level was enough to make conversation a little difficult at times. I had the dover sole which was excellent.
- Best ItaliansusanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Every time we visit NY we eat here. We have never been disappointed. I have sent several friends & this is now one of their favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food EVER!staciLAVIPDined on 9/25/2014We love this place! Every time I go to NYC from L.A. I have to come here! The food is outstanding. The ambiance is old school nyc. The service is amazing. The chicken piccata is the best I've ever had in my life!Special Features:
- classic gemSeattleMaisieDined on 9/22/2014Lovely atmosphere with well spaced tables. Excellent, unpretentious, unobtrusive, friendly service. High quality ingredients and delicious preparations. It's obvious why il Tinello has been successful for so long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ajdlVIPDined on 9/18/2014ok, but nothing special, and way overpriced for what it is.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/16/2014Small portions for price but well prepared and tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible servicenitramVIPDined on 9/16/2014The food was excellent but the service was horrible. They seemed to only care about the "regulars."
- A Pleasant SurpriseFoodismyjamDined on 9/6/2014After a less than impressive NYC lunch, I was skeptical of trying a new restaurant for dinner. However, the adventurous side of me still wanted to try something new. Well, I was quite impressed with Il Tinello's food and service. A very attentive (yet all-male) wait staff made our dining experience feel old-world and almost like we were dining in Italy. They made our children feel welcome and important. The bruschetta we received first was delicious! The table-side Caesar salad was one of the best and the fresh pasta with marinara sauce was outstanding (we ordered a half order to split and I wish I had a full order all to myself!). The desserts were also yummy. The recommended fruit tart did not disappoint! We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningKarenKVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything about this restaurant was excellent. The service, the ambience and the food were outstanding. The bartender made the best Cosmopolitans I've ever had. This is a real old fashioned Italian gem. It's hard to find restaurants with this level of classic italian cuisine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014One of my go to favorites even back to the days with MarioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceSCBillDined on 8/30/2014Great food served by a dynamite staff. The whole evening was enjoyable!! The wait staff was on their game and took care of our every need. Food selection was fantastic and served in a timely manner.Special Features:
- Excellent, Simply ExcellentsamyedsVIPDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I eat out more often than two people should. We seek the best. Il Tinello was everything we ask for. Great Atmosphere, Great Service & Great Food. I doubt you'd find many restaurants that could compare. One of NY's finest and that's saying something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great but...RichBVIPDined on 8/23/2014Our captain and waiter made the evening enjoyable. The Caesar salad table side was spectacular. We were however underwhelmed with the main course. Veal saltimbocca was over cooked, salty and the prosciutto was was rubbery. Dessert also failed to impress. Overall not a place I would return especially factoring the premium prices.
- SunshineSuninthemorning25aVIPDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant, the food and service were spectacular!Special Features:
- Old school but pasta isn't fresh?!TravelingfoodieDined on 8/20/2014I definitely recommend for an old school experience. Amazing food, great desserts, great ambience. Major pitfall was that I ordered a side of pasta and it wasn't freshly prepared?!????!!!! Very disappointing for such an upscale restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good. Great FindDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was excellent and we really enjoyed our meal.Special Features:
- no complaints!masterspyDined on 8/13/2014Good overall but a little too expensive for a standard Italian restaurant even if in midtown Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!EliotVIPDined on 8/13/2014Beautiful ambience, perfectly executed cuisine and service. It doesn't get better than this.Special Features:
- consistently greatSeanVIPDined on 8/12/2014We never fail to dine here when in NY. The Caesar salad is simply the finest on earth (make sure Daniel makes it). The scampi fra diavola was fantastic, just the right spice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuonoevebVIPDined on 8/12/2014Lovely restaurant with the best type of older traditions such as gracious service , warm welcome, quality ingredients and lovely presentation. The food is excellent too. Just wish it wasn't so expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable serviceCatherineDined on 8/8/2014Delicious Italian cuisine and impeccable service. We loved the antipasto and pasta dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointedLadyoftheoaksVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was not very good at all. Shrimp were rubbery, broccoli rab stringy, chicken dish was odd. Decor is out-dated. There are much better Italian restaurants in the city.
- wayneVIPDined on 8/2/2014every.thing was spot on except the price.Way overpricedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014I brought a good client with me and thought it was a 5 star restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school ItalianzoltocVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our visit was very nice. A carbonara appetizer was not as creamy as would be optimal. The lamb special was truly outstanding. The chocolate cake was somewhat dry. Overall, quite acceptable.
- Great service!BetzanddaveDined on 7/25/2014The service here is impeccable! The food is delicious and they don't rush you but they stay on top of things! Bartender made my cocktail exactly the way I like it and the zucchini flowers stuffed with ricotta were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If its good enough for ...TobbadeVIPDined on 7/22/2014Mr Icahn and Mr. Silverstein, ... A wonderful and magnificent experience as always. Il Tinello has become my favorite go-to midtown Italian. A treasure.Special Features:
- crystalmompa5Dined on 7/22/2014Food was very good. Old world ambiance. Service was great. The only suggestion I would make is that the reason we came here was we had heard about the five star caesar salad.... unforutnately, it was good but not great... to take the caesar salad to a notable level, they should add some homemade garlic croutons, splash of fresh lemon and perhaps offer anchovies for those that might like.Special Features:
- Great food!traveldinersVIPDined on 7/16/2014We took the advice of other reviewers and were very glad we did! The food was great! My normally picky husband cannot stop talking about his dinner. He wanted to go back 2 nights later. It wa a bit noisy, but no more than any at other place we eat. The service was swift and courteous. We will definitely be back when we visit New York again!Special Features:
- Old School at its best!JPinNYCVIPDined on 7/16/2014This is not the place for a quick meal. It's several courses and the food is great! The service is great and reminds me of dining in parts of Italy when meals did took time and you got to have a good conversation.
- Classic Italian TouchOrchardStreetDined on 7/16/2014I had been looking for a new Itailian restaurant in Midtown West and stumbled upon a reall gem. The food, ambiance and service are all top notch. Clearly, the chef has an eye on both traditional classic dishes mixed with an array of seasonally fresh adaptations of fish, vegetables and fruit, all served with traditional Itailian instincts. While I was there for lunch, I would see how the room would also be great for dinner. Couples and small groups will thoroughly enjoy Il Tinelo.Special Features:
- Dave Izzodizzo58Dined on 7/14/2014Food was great. Service WA impeccable. Florida our server was the best. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and serviceIanMVIPDined on 6/28/2014Overall a very good experience. The wine list is quite over priced (at least 3 - 4 times retail markup).
- First Time...but there will be moresdjimagesDined on 6/27/2014Our visit to Il Tinello was memorable in many ways, starting with accomodating our lateness for a 6 pm pre-theater reservation.The service was impeccable, attentive and very personable without being intrusive. The food was outstanding. The decor is timeless and tasteful, rather than trendy, appropriate for old-school Italian fine dining. The tableside prep and rollout carts for antipasto and desserts were attractive and entertaining. and certainly enticing. While the winelist is expensive, it is also extensive; even the least expensive (@$50) is a delicious choice. We will return whenever in this area filled with alternative choices.Special Features:
- Italian pleasureLuv2bpamperedDined on 6/26/2014Service was excellent! Daniel knew how to make the best Ceasar salad! Pasta was fresh and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Italian in ManhattanMakingAlivingDiningDined on 6/25/2014Il Tinello is excellent every time. The food is exceptional, and the service is friendly and attentive. It also has a great ambiance. The table side Caesar is a must, as is the antipasto table that allows you to choose exactly which delicacy you want to indulge in. The pastas offer incredible variety and they are excellent. As good as the items in the menu are, their specials are always worth ordering! The dessert table is also unusually good. My favorite overall Italian dining experience in NY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A/C was not workingJoeBrewDined on 6/25/2014Very hot day and the A/C wasn't working. Management made no accommodation to bring in fans or discount pricing. Food was delicious, but temperature made it more difficult to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReservationMitchVIPDined on 6/24/2014Had to wait 40 min for a table. Arrived for 8PM reserve 3 min early. Don't overbook is the message. Good standard NY Italian fare. Otherwise attentive service. But would not chance it again. There are plenty more like it.
- Excellent food and serviceSquibanoDined on 6/21/2014Found this restaurant by accident but it turned out to be one of our best finds in NYC. The wait staff was very professional and skilled and the food was exceptional. It is a small neighborhood restaurant that takes great pride in what they do - from the little things like providing tastes of chef specialties and suggesting perfect wine pairings to skilled/entertaining table side preparations and making your food exactly as you ordered it. I would highly recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 277 reviews are from the Il Tinello reviews archive.