Il Tesoro NYC
1578 First Ave.
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Tesoro NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.iltesoro.com/
- Phone: 2128619620
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday-Thursday; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: AJ Black
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Private Party Room Available for up to 40 people, also party room of 65 people
A word from Il Tesoro NYC
Always something new, modern and special we love Manhattan's beautiful Upper East Side neighborhood, come discover the treasures at Il Tesoro Ristorante & Bar at 1578 First Ave. Menu focuses on fresh whole fish, seafood, aged steaks, wild game, fresh organic home-made "to-order" pasta with top-notch service. "Italian treasure" Il Tesoro 's Chef and owner AJ Black grew up in the restaurant business in Rome and trained at the Italian Culinary Institute, also owns Il Tesoro Ristorante on Florida's Sanibel Island. His artist Jolie has created the restaurant's updated design this year with fun painted portraits of chefs and vigilant servers in restaurant action. Vintage marble bar, floor-to-ceiling woodwork, with modern kitchen in a Tuscan elegance with comfortable casual feel of the main dining room seating up to 65, romantic outdoor seating for people watching, and an intimate private party room in our wine cellar for up to 35 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Tesoro NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)romantic (19)special occasion (18)fit for foodies (16)notable wine list (14)good for groups (10)late-night find (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great restaurantjbgopsuDined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed our meal there. Great service. Good wine list. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Old Style Italian GemAnonymousDined on 9/11/2014Il Tesoro is a great Italian gem not found very often anymore, the food and the setting are perfect for a romantic nite out in the town!! would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for some authethinc old Italian fine food.Special Features:
- tastyDined on 9/10/2014I was told that open table could not make this reservation????????????? Is that true Otherwise, all was well - not bad - not outstanding
- Writestuff101Dined on 8/30/2014The menu is slightly more inventive than your typical UES Italian restaurant. The food is prepared with a lighter touch and artfully presented by attentive staff. Yes, it's pricey, but we felt it was worth it.Special Features:
- AwesomeFoodIsLoveDined on 8/18/2014My husband and I ate with a group of friends and family while visiting NYC. We are native New Yorkers but haven't been back home in a couple of years, so we were excited to try out a different restaurant. I have to say, I was blown away by my dining experience. The food was fantastic! I had the branzino and a mushroom risotto - soooo good... I also ate off of everyone else's plates and can say that everyone at the table had great food. The wine that our server recommended was incredible - exactly what he promised. They really took care of us. I don't even know how many hours we spent there - time just flew by. I will definitely go the next time I am in town.Special Features:
- absolutely...donnymikeVIPDined on 8/15/2014my wife and i went there for a friday night dinner. we live nearby but have never been there before. it was a most wonderful experience, from the service to an exceptional meal! we eat out several times a week and will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinner!SuzicakesVIPDined on 8/11/2014I went to Il Tesoro with some friends and we shared many things. Everything was prepared very nicely and the food was good quality and fresh. The waiter was so funny!! The decor is very, very pretty. I would definitely return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday night at Il TesoroOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/10/2014We were newcomers and treated very nicely --service was excellent and the food was very good. I have only the one complaint--the bread was not fresh and since I am a bread "freak" I often judge a place on that menu item. Down one star for that, and also, my tuna tartare needed more flavor. Otherwise, a beautiful evening and a nice meal.
- Stellar surpriseCiaochowDined on 8/5/2014Loved it so much went two nights in a row. Fantastic food, welcoming staff and a lovely setting. Planning on being a regular!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- returncustomerDined on 7/29/2014Music was a little loud, but otherwise everything was fineSpecial Features:
- Real good Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014I am kind hard to please when it comes to Italian food, and we loved the standard and quality of the food. We had the black linguini/lobster and short ribs for entree..both superb. Loved the tuna tartar for appetizer, all fresh. Quality and we will come back.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood spotSherylVIPDined on 7/15/2014Traditional Italian decor (dark). Service is very attentive and the food is good. Eggplant appetizer was tasty, scallops were good; cannelloni stuffed with short ribs were better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014Understated from outside, this restaurant surprises as you step in, with a beautiful wood paneled dining room, friendly staff, a nostril-filling aromas coming from the kitchen. The specials we had (veal scallopini and a rich baked fish dish) were both excellent. Service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Great food, thoughtful serviceritaoDined on 6/30/2014We let our servers select our food and wines. From a chilled glass of prose I to start, to a perfectly and simply grilled branzino, the selections were spot on. It's refreshing - and fun - to find restaurant staff passionate about their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not as good as last timejudiousshopperDined on 6/3/2014We returned to Il Tesoro because we enjoyed out last visit. Food was still good, we didn't get the table we asked for on open table (yet it was open the entire time we were there), but the service was a bit gruff. Not rude, but gruff. We were delighted by a delightful young lady, but then an older man took over and seemed annoyed...not sure if with her or us. We enjoyed ourselves and the food and would go back again, but wasn't as pleasurable as last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware Saturday nightFoodmavenVIPDined on 5/31/2014We have dined at Il Tesoro many times but never before on a Saturday night. Four of us were seated in the front having a lovely conversation, when someone started playing a piano loudly about 10 feet from us. Before we could register our shock, a young woman joined him and started singing opera as if on stage at Carnegie Hall. We moved to a rear table but because everyone in the restaurant was trying to talk over the music, the volume was excruciating and conversation became a major effort. Also, because the restaurant was Saturday night busy, the service was prolonged and the food was not up to the usual standards.Special Features:
- Il TesoroBigBowlReviewVIPDined on 5/29/2014Food was excellent, service was impeccable and restaurant was very inviting. We are looking forward to returning and trying more items!Special Features:
- The following 212 reviews are from the Il Tesoro NYC reviews archive.
- Fantastic all-aroundJDM225VIPDined on 5/24/2014Great food. Great service. Great live music. First time here... Not our last :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Upper East SideghiottoneDined on 5/23/2014Fantastic all around. Great decor, great service, privacy (tables far apart like the good old days), a superb wine list and absolutely delicious food. When you walk through the door you are transported to warm and gracious Italy. Start with a Prosecco and give yourself some time to read the fabulous menu, with choices to fit everyone's taste. The rich meat sauces over pasta are incredible: try the braised short ribs over gnocchi or the pappardelle Bolognese. If you prefer fish, the Chef/owner is a genius with fish: halibut, sole, branzino, shrimp and, especially, octopus. This place is good for a relaxing evening meal or a special occasion, and given the quality of everything that's important in fine dining, it's a wonderful value.Special Features:
- Awesome every timeBeatNavyVIPDined on 5/18/2014Every time we come to this fabulous restaurant, we are welcomed with open arms. AJ Black is the perfect host/owner and his staff is superb. An authentic italian experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing all the way around!!FeastDined on 5/17/2014From the decor to the staff to the incredible food, Il Tesoro is a winner. I will be a regular from this day forward. Can't believe i never knew about it before now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gr8 againtheirfanVIPDined on 5/14/2014uova fantastic. lovely. honors opentable reservations, groupons.. no bait and switch.. just good honest restauranteurs and good honest food.Special Features:
- A hidden gemSilverlocks1Dined on 5/11/2014Took mother out for Mother's Day. We were a total of five. While the restaurant was crowded and a bit noisy the servers were very friendly and the atmosphere was warm and the food was great! Overall we had a wonderful time. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a date nightStevehungryDined on 5/10/2014Food wais delicious,. service was knowledgeable. Before we even noticed our table was shaky, our waiter appeared with a shim to straighten it out. Those small touches make all the difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014Service and food were excellent. We arrived with two more guests than anticipated. The additional two joined us for drinks and the hostess and staff were very accomodating in getting us additional seats at the table. Never rushed and always treated respectfully.Special Features:
- Upper East BeastDinnerWinnerDined on 4/12/2014Great Italian restaurant conveniently located on the Upper East Side. Live music set the tone for a great evening and the food and service is outstanding!Special Features:
- wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/12/2014An outstanding neighborhood Italian! We loved it. Food and service was great. They were also very kind to our two small children on Saturday night. We'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedluluDined on 4/12/2014The atmoshphere and the food were excellent. We are planning to go back in the very near future. The menu choices and the specials were all extremely appealing and we had diffiuclty making up our minds. The construct of the restaurant is conducive to conversation since the noise level is negligible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very attractive restaurantGreatDiningChoiceDined on 4/5/2014With lovely wood paneling, beveled mirrors, belle époque light fixtures this restaurant is a surprisingly lovely space where you wouldn't expect to find it. Food was mostly quite good and service professional. Too much effort to push more expensive wines detracts from overall experience but worth a return visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Italian foodMaddiluDined on 3/21/2014The food here was fantastic, especially the grilled calamari salad-so simple, but so perfect. My only negative was my friend and I felt rushed throughout our meal. We were one of the last reservations, and I understand wanting to close down on time, but the restaurant was full when we arrived at 945pm. We made it through three courses and two drinks by 1030pm. They shut down the overhead lights while we were still eating, and we felt their urgency from the moment we sat down. It was super tasty, and the front of house staff were pleasant, so I will definitely come back, but maybe only for an early reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden in the openmczar15Dined on 3/20/2014Although on the corner, passed by for years and finally had someone recommend. Couldn't have been more surprised. Excllent wine list. Old school great service. Fantastic classic Italian food. Great for a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/11/2014I live in the neighborhood and go at least one a week. It is has an old world feel yet a modern twist The food and the staff are excellent! Mimo ( one of the waiters) greets me and I feel at home. Everyone I take to Il Tesoro loves it! Say hi to AJ the owner! Also, on the weekend ,they have a lovely Opera singer that has the voice of an angle! Stay away - this is my place! Just kidding...Enjoy!Special Features:
- Great accidental findBirthdayGirl1201Dined on 2/22/2014I ended up coming here because of a Living Social deal and I'm so glad I did! It's not a place I would go every week because it's expensive, but I am looking forward to taking my parents here when they come visit because the food is amazing and the restaurant is so cute! My one complaint is there was a singer and piano player on the main floor which made it a little loud, so when my parents visit I will definitely request to sit downstairs, where it's quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything above expectationsBerndDined on 2/22/2014Very nice restaurant in Manhattan. We came at 6pm, and it was empty. In 1 hour the restaurant was filled with groups and couples. Our waiter was just outstanding. Although very busy, he kept friendly and attentive. The food was above average, my filet mignon high class. Aperitif not too sweet, the vine good. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything about Il TesorocranetwinsVIPDined on 2/17/2014Everything about Il Tesoro was above expectations -- it really is a treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of Italy………….jill116Dined on 2/17/2014Our family of four enjoyed the dinner very much. Nice to have a homemade pasta in the neighborhood……….will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decidedly Meh.CityKittyDined on 2/15/2014We went to this restaurant for a Valentine's Dinner. When we walked in, I could see several tables for two in the main portion of the restaurant, but we were taken down to the basement, which seemed designed to kill any sense of romance. The lighting was much brighter and the room was primarily taken up by a large party who spent much of the time speaking very loudly about topics that were incompatible with dinner (one person's IBS was a hot topic). The waiter was pleasant, although he was not able to tell us very much about the wines when we asked and forgot our side dish (it wasn't on our bill, thankfully). The food was nice but not worth the prices. I am not sure why we were relegated to the basement. We won't be back.
- Dinner on Saturday NightCarolmicVIPDined on 2/15/2014Went to dinner this past Saturday with my husband and we had a $80 coupon that we paid $40. We started with appetizers; he had eggplant and I had buratta) both were very good but I think I made the better choice. For our main courses I had mixed grilled seafood with agradolce sauce and he had braised short ribs with gnocchi. Both were very tasty. We ordered a $50 bottle of wine that was a perfect compliment to the meal. In the end with tip we still had a $130 bill so with the $40 we paid for the voucher I thought this was quite expensive. The service was fair but if you enjoy listening to a live singer and piano player then the cost may have been justified.Special Features:
- A romantic Italian Dinner spotMADatenightDined on 2/14/2014Went to Il Tesoro with my wife for Valentines Day. It was a packed house for the pre fixed dinner. We chose to order off the regular menu and really enjoy our food (Bronzino and mushroom risotto). The Opera singer and piano player were a very classy touch as wellSpecial Features:
- Great food end of service annoyingSteadyeddieDined on 2/14/2014We took an early Valentines Day reservation because our son was with us. The food was great as always and there was a lovely singer and piano player. Everything was great until it was time to order dessert. From that point service slowed to a crawl with the processing of my credit card alone taking almost 15 minutes.Special Features: