1116 Ocean Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Miami Beach / South Beach
MediterraneanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thevillabybartong.com/
- Phone: 3055768003x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday 7pm - 10pm
Friday & Saturday & Sunday 7pm - 11pm
Closed on Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Scott Linquist
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With private dining options for groups from 2 to 30, The Villa By Barton G. in the former Versace Mansion provides Miami's most elegant surroundings for private dining, whether a corporate gathering, a celebration or a romantic dinner for two.
- Private Party Contact: Raymond Rosen 8779252116
A word from Il Sole
South Beach’s most exceptional experience awaits you at Il Sole, an event space, restaurant and boutique hotel housed in the former Versace Mansion, where elegance and unparalleled service seamlessly blend with signature Barton G. style under all-new management by renowned events impresario and restaurateur Barton G. Weiss.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Il Sole reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)romantic (34)scenic view (16)fit for foodies (16)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (11)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (6)good for groups (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Fun TimeGlamorousAdventuresDined on 8/23/2014It was a lovely lunch and very fresh tasty food, if there were tours around the villa, it would be even better. As a visitor you find the overall Miami service a bit slow and less attentive than lets say in NYC or Boston, but nevertheless very polite staff and enjoyable time.Special Features:
- Spectacular but pretentiousG4LJDined on 8/20/2014As we're were on vacation we thought this would be a must see as to the history and the strong legacy behind the Versace name!!!!! While the views and building were spectacular, the food was some what a let down... Not overpriced as a one off but lacked the personal touch. The servers found it very hard to understand us and made this a little awkward for us . The tables are set very close to each other so if your thinking romance forget it!!! As for the dress code we took this as a must yet only to be next to a family with children all dressed in jeans and A&F tshirts??? Would we recommend it well no not really.... It's a shame because the opportunities could be out of this world leaving you with an experience one would never forget !!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disaster!BillyinMiamiVIPDined on 8/19/2014Ice Tea is 6! They make you feel like a second class citizen by not letting you permission to view the completely empty pool area " reserved for hotel guests". The entire " experience" is sold to you by being in the Versace Mansion. There is better food everywhere and the arrogance of the manager, Max, was enough to keep me away forever. I'm sure it will be bankrupt again and probably should be with their holier than holy attitude! Arriverderci!
- Hot Food?HelloDined on 8/17/2014Would have liked hot food other then hamburger. Thousand times better then anything on Ocean Drive regardless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful castle with average foodL2RnSFDined on 8/16/2014The reception and the place were what we expected, the food presentation not at level of an international restaurant. The service was average. We will keep for ourselves the view of the pool and the walls decoration. The temperature in the VIP room was too high, so it was not comfortable. The dessert was delucious, chef did a great job.Special Features:
- Mejor de lo esperadoLuj69giacDined on 8/13/2014Sinceramente era más la inquietud de conocer la Mansión , pero haber cenado en Il Sole realmente mereció la pena. No sólo el ambiente es Exelente , si no, la comida también, todo bien Italiano, muy buen pan, los platos acordes al precio.. Que pueden verse un tanto caros ... Pero relación precio calidad de todo ....bien vale la pena ir.Special Features:
- Overrated and pretentiousParisianfoodieVIPDined on 8/13/2014Long service, average food, high price, pretentious place and overpriced. To be avoided!
- Very Versace styling !!BbudhraniDined on 8/6/2014Went out for my wife's birthday. Was great. The food was good but not great but the service and ambience was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2014I went here for brunch. The lunch menu is nothing to rave about. I had a club sandwich and it was good. Nothing out of the ordinary. You pay for the ambience and that is it.
- Such a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Wonderful! Service was excellent!! Food was delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous venuePalatepleasingDined on 8/2/2014The venue dining at the Versace Mansion is spectacular. We decided to go given the unique location and we could dine poolside not expecting fabulous food (given a friend's experience a year or two prior.) This night in Aug 2014 the food quality was very poor: the Florida snapper fish was dry and tasted fishy, it came with two hearts of palm, one was edible and other was hard as a rock, the side we ordered of creamy broccoli rabe was too tough to be eaten. They did bring us french fries (not much better) when we returned the other food as inedible. They add a 20% gratuity and some other percentage (city tax/sales tax). This explains why we could get a last minute reservation.Special Features:
- V mansion experienceSalsaking1Dined on 7/27/2014There's no point dinning inside or you miss the view. Our waitress explained our food which shows why it's that expensive. A surreal dining experience depending on the history point of view. Staff were attentive and polite and not stuffy. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperLucyDined on 7/26/2014Excellent food and very nice restaurant beautiful musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulrebeccaVIPDined on 7/25/2014It was a very special experience. Would highly recommend the wagyu beef tartare and the fruti del mar. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il SoleCLEtoMIADined on 7/24/2014Wow. This place is breathtaking. We dined inside of Versace's former main dining room and followed that with a tour of the grounds. The steak was cooked just right, the waiter kept our wine glasses filled and the tour of Versace's house was the perfect ending to the perfect dinner.Special Features:
- Amazing service.sobe14Dined on 7/24/2014The hosts were literally on their toes. Before my water glass could even get empty it was filled, very knowledgeable about the menu.Amazing food & drinks as well. Loved it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing DisasterTabsDined on 7/12/2014Told to wait outside for the hostess to show us to bar. 10 minutes of hanging around outside & we found our own way to the bar. Drinks order was incorrect and ended up confusing & embarrassing. Finally seated outside by the pool which was a lovely setting. Service very slow. One of our meals was completely forgotten so my husband had to share his meal with our friend, or wait to have his meal cooked. When it began to rain, the ceiling leaked all over us so we had to move the table. Drinks service so bad that a man on an adjacent table started pouring our wine for us! Refused to pay $80 tip & reduced it to $40 - the manager argued with me all the way to the door. Then friend's credit card blocked for extra $300! Would never go back.Special Features:
- Must Try!!!!EricaDined on 7/6/2014All I can say is AMAZING! My bf took me for my birthday and from the moment we walking in to the moment we left, it was the best experience I have ever had at a restaurant.Special Features:
- GillybeanDined on 7/5/2014Superb dining experience, fantastic environment and excellent food! Unfortunately there was a few favourite items not available on the menu and this would have been helpful to know prior to order, however we managed to reorganise ourselves and the overall experience was out of this world!!! Worth the money and the visit I promise!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding night dinnerChasNAmyDined on 7/2/2014We chose this restaurant as the locale for our wedding night. From start to finish, it was everything I expected in service, presentation, and taste. We were the only ones dining inside, and as such, our dining experience was very personalized. I will definitely return when in South BeachSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch the billOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014Watch the bill, prices in menu versus final bill are different They were trying to overchrge 20%!!!
- Food and Ambience UnderwhelmingBonVivantDined on 6/26/2014Husband and I went here for a special occasion. Slight air of desperation and a lack of true elegance in the service. Very obviously trying to maximize revenue. We didn't want a bottle of wine, so ordered Mojitos. The charged us - get this - $25 per Mojito. I live in NYC and this joint managed to give me liquor sticker shock..ha! The food is sub-par, on it's own, and especially for the price. We went here more for the ambiance, and did not have high expectations of the food. Let's just say we were disappointed - the villa is pretty, but dinner guests are restricted to a small terrace, which overlooks the famous mosaic and pool. A rope keeps you at a safe distance, since really experiencing their beauty is reserved for hotel guests.
- RitzDined on 6/24/2014We loved the grilled octopus appetizer the best - it was truly exceptional. The Whole Dover Sole served in a pan was delicious and a very big portion with perfect vegetables - whole carrots, asparagus and three types of baby potatoes. The service was attentive and impeccable. An extraordinary setting. We chose it for our first wedding anniversary celebration and it was a perfect choice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/22/2014The place is excellent, but the service is so slow. The food was not of the standard expected, the sashimi was hot and the fish took more than 30 minutes was cold.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerDinerDined on 6/19/2014The food was amazing. Phenomenal wine. The mansion is the most beautiful home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Sole is magnificentlovinglifeDined on 6/18/2014My wife and I celebrated our 20 anniversary dinner at Il Sole and it was a most memorable evening. The old Versace Mansion in South Beach is home to Il Sole and it is wonderful in every way. We were escorted though the main entrance to a quaint little bar off the center courtyard for a glass of wine. We were then taken to a small, lovely out door patio overlooking the stunning pool and deck area. As the light of daylight dimmed the setting became magical. We not only savored this wonderful setting, but also the equally incredible food and attentive service. If you want to impress a date or have a very romantic evening with your lover, Il Sole is the place.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningRmlackDined on 6/10/2014My husband and I went for dinner and couldn't have asked for a better meal. The service was wonderful, the food was excellent, and the ambiance unmatched. Truly a fantastic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nostalgia vs Food and ServiceTheRobinsonsDined on 5/27/2014... They forgot my main so I ate 30 mins after everyone else, and alone. They brought the wrong sides twice. We served our own wine all night and waited 45 mins for a new bottle.... But what a view on the outside terrace of Medusa's Head and the stunning pool !! The staff seemed flustered and struggled to serve three tables only. We won't be going back...Special Features:
- recommendedcoupleDined on 5/22/2014very nice environment, friendly staff and good food, A little pricy but the environment pays for it. For summer time the tables at the terrace or by the pool are great, A tour at the rooms and the Vercace bedroom would be nice and interestingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014Excemllent food and very good service,w attention to detail.The surroundings are gorgeous and the place is a refuge from the hubbub of South Beach.It was my birthday and we enjoyed a complimentary tray of chocs.Would recommend Il Sole to anybody seeking great food and ambience.Special Features:
- Versace's mansion!JoannaFoodieDined on 5/18/2014What a historic and amazing gem. We ate in the beautiful dining room. Most people were eating outside in the courtyard overlooking the 24 karat gold swimming pool. Both are scenic and worth experiencing. The seafood tower is one of the best that I've eaten. The crab legs were huge! Everything was prepared perfectly. Honestly, do not bring children or babies here.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingJennVIPDined on 5/3/2014The bouncer at the chain couldn't have been any more welcoming- he was very friendly and showed us to the hostess stand. The food was excellent- the service was second to none. Bar tenders very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend going here just to experience the mansion. It was a special treat that was just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 142 reviews are from the Il Sole reviews archive.
- Anniversary Dinnerzasn01VIPDined on 5/3/2014Loved dinner, great level of service, food was good. I loved it my meal and my wife enjoyed hers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the Versace MansionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2014We chose Il Sole because it is located in the Versace Mansion for our 30th wedding anniversary dinner. The decor is elegant, sumptuous. We were able to sit outside, simply great. Initial drinks took forever to arrive, we ordered an expensive bottle of wine so it would have time to breathe. No such luck it shows up with dinner. Very limited menue, if you do not like Kale, kitchen cannot even make a simple Ceasar salad. The Sirloin was not chewable.I guess we expected more from Barton GSpecial Features:
- Location, location, locationalpinepassDined on 4/25/2014Il Sole is blessed with an idyllic location a peaceful spot amongst all the noise and bustle of Ocean Drive. The fact of being the former home of Versace adds to the ambiance which is already romantic and special. The food is good, prices on the expensive side but given the location it is quite a bargain really. The staff obviously enjoy their surroundings and are rightly proud of the set-up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!!!pilar913Dined on 4/25/2014Food was excellent. Loved the artichoke ravioli. Had a an overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and RomanticvolleydancerDined on 4/21/2014My boyfriend and I chose this place to eat our last night there. We always wanted to see inside the Versace Mansion, and that was our shot. The food was fantastic and the experience was wonderful! I do think however that the wait staff could have been a little more attentive based on the level of the restaurant. The food came out very slow, and there was a lot of waiting, even for the drinks. The bartender was great and fast... but while at the table the drinks came out slow. They were also behind on the reservation. We had to wait about 20 min. at the bar until our table was ready. Our reservation was at 9pm... we didn't get to eat dinner until about 11pm - took way to long. But the experience was worth it for one time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Not only the decor is somptuous but the food was excellent even by European standardsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014The ambiance as expected was excellent; however, as a well known restaurant, I found the food to be below par. Basically it was tasteless, both appetizer and main course, (Octopus & snapper). As a foodie, I am more interested in quality of food than I am the presentation. The tables were spread out and not many of them which was nice; however, the level of attendance to our table for the amount of tables was also lacking. We waited almost 20 min to order a drink, then once we had the check, again 20 min for the waitress to take the credit Card. The mansion is worth seeing, if you don’t mind paying a lot of money to see it and are not a foodie.Special Features:
- Great placeYariv87Dined on 4/15/2014Great beautiful place very fancy prices not as bad as people might think, food was amazing, will be back next time I'm in miamiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.