1116 Ocean Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Miami Beach / South Beach
MediterraneanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thevillabybartong.com/
- Phone: (305) 576-8003
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday 7pm - 10pm
Friday & Saturday & Sunday 7pm - 11pm
Closed on Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Scott Linquist
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With private dining options for groups from 2 to 30, The Villa By Barton G. in the former Versace Mansion provides Miami's most elegant surroundings for private dining, whether a corporate gathering, a celebration or a romantic dinner for two.
- Private Party Contact: Raymond Rosen 8779252116
A word from Il Sole
South Beach’s most exceptional experience awaits you at Il Sole, an event space, restaurant and boutique hotel housed in the former Versace Mansion, where elegance and unparalleled service seamlessly blend with signature Barton G. style under all-new management by renowned events impresario and restaurateur Barton G. Weiss.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Il Sole reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (50)special occasion (41)scenic view (28)neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (15)notable wine list (15)hot spot (12)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (7)late-night find (6)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- When in Miami This is the place to be !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014The previous home of Gianni Versace was all we expected and more ! It was an extravagant villa that took our breathes away ! The dining room was gorgeous; and the food left us wanting more my friend and I split a diner for two option of filet and NY strip steak that were cooked to perfection ; the waiters were very attentive and made sure we got the most out of our experience at the Casa Casuarina ; upon our arrival we were discouraged by the hostess to sit outside which was a bit disappointing but our waiter Manuell offered to take us outside for desert. The courtyard was magnificent ; the detail in the home was grand and defiantly a memorable experience ! Suggestions would be if there isn't too many people to ask if you may have diner inside to experience dining in Gianni Verscaes dining room and desert by the pool to look out onto the beautiful mosaics designed by Mr. Versace himself ! The tab was a bit heavy but expected and absolutely worth it ! When in Miami this is the place to be !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014I absolutely enjoyed my dining experience. Our waiter was nice. My friend received a beautiful orchid arrangement for her bday. My only concern is the size of the snapper. It was such a disappointment...that had to be the smallest piece of fish. My friend had the steak & it was huge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine list is not kept up to date.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/16/2014Sit on the terrace if at all possible, the view of the courtyard fountain is spectacular. Also look for the Versace cat that we saw roaming around. Very cute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely breath-taking!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014I was absolutely blown away with the location, food, and service that we had the other night. It was an honor to get the privilege to dine at such an iconic location. Thank you so much for having us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014my wife and myself went to have fine dining but sat next to a family that was obnoxious and loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IntimateOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2014The food was delicious and it was presented beautifully, the menu was very minute but what was offered was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid!! Save yourself !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2014We Stood outside for the hostess for 10min- with a security guard on each side as if we were criminals. Once inside - we were seated outdoors and I have to say - the building & pool is spectacular... A credit to Versace nothing to do with Il Sole. It took 20 min for our waiter to come to our table to drop menus and another 20 for him to return for a drink order. I selected a glass of a red... He disappeared - to return 10 min later... They were out of it - so I selected another... He disappeared another 10 min... They were out. This happ 3x!!! I drank water - while my wife drank a $28 margarita! The squid pasta was inedible - more salt than the Atlantic - the Bronzino was average. Our dopey waiter never even asked if we wanted coffee!Special Features:
- Pretentious, Naive & ShamelessOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/28/2014What a disappointment of a place, First of all U R greeted by a young lady who just takes U thru a Court Yard into a small room that feel like a CAVE! Cold reception & you expect to have a at least acknowledgement that U R @ Gianni's Versace home , "must well feel U R @ any where" If U don't know that was his place. U will never know it. The Long wine list is useless,as every wine U ask for they don't have it. However they were very fast to point out they did have a very well known Austrian wine called Grûner Veltiner priced $260 dollars a bottle-Well I just happened to have returned from Vienna where that wine even @ the most expensive restaurant will cost 65Euros=bearly $85USD. If U charge that price at least have real Crystalglassware
- WOWOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014What a lovely restaurant! Being the previous home of Versace, the location demonstrates the designer's artistic opulence, flair and sophistication. The food tasted wonderful with complex layers of flavor. The staff could not have been more pleasantly professional. I look forward to my next visit to Miami so I can visit Il Sole again.Special Features:
- Fancy on Ocean DriveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Very expensive, but Worth it for a special occasion...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely exquisite in every senseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Il Sole is the perfect restaurant for a romantic dinner. Or it can also be great place for having an excellent dinner experience with friends. The taste, presentation, and of the food is amazing. My favorite Lamb Tagine is to die for. The servic is very prompt and high quality from the second you are greeted at the entrance, all the way to end of your visit. They have also started a new lounge venue on the roof level that offers hookah and bottle service while DJ is playing lounge music.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014outstanding place ex house of gianni versace. Restaurant staff pleasant but not the security near fountain. upset us very much wanted to stay in their Hotel next time in south beach but probably not after this experience.Special Features:
- A gem on Ocean DriveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Excellent place for a great dinner in a remarkable Versace surroundings. One of a kind, guaranteed.Special Features:
- As always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/14/2014Great place for luncheon. Good menu and always a success with visitors. The il sole burger is a perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gianni Versace's pad Ocean DriveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Wow! My wife and I stayed at the Savoy on Ocean Drive for 3 days before heading down to Key West. While on a stroll down OD we saw that the Versace Mansion was now open as an exclusive hotel and restaurant, we just couldn't resist checking out the menu and decided to book for the Saturday night. Well what an experience, relaxed atmosphere, outstanding service and food. After the meal we were given the opportunity to look around, my wife couldn't get over the interior and the view of the pool from the roof was amazing. Would definitely do this again and if you're ever in South Beach Miami check it out, it is an great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We decided to have lunch at il sole simply by accident while visiting south beach. Saw the menu and made reservations not knowing that this was the famous Versace villa. The food was excellent, the ambiance was breath taking and our waiter was just the best. He attended to our every need and gave us a complimentary glass of champagne. He also gave us a mini tour of the villa. He was just the best. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cutting too many cornersOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/4/2014The property is beautiful and deserves better. Where else in Miami can you be transported to Italian luxury? Service needs improvement, for once when you order a bottle of water you should expect well a bottle of water and not one pour. The waitress completely forgot our wine. I ordered the branzino special and they were out, then ordered another item and they were also out. I specified and confirmed it was a special ocassion and there was not mention of it throughout dinner. And to cap it off, the bill includes 20% and then it asks for a tip and recommends another 15/18/20/25% on top of the already included 20%. Overkill, I think so. Hopefully things change fast or I'm going to have to avoid this place despite the breathtaking decor.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/2/2014Love the place. Great food. I don't recommend it for budget travel or groups.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner in iconic venueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014Wonderful staff, beautiful decor, interesting history and impressive food. Something original and upscale in the chaotic Ocean Drive mob scene. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014First waiter asked if we would like sparking water or spring water or regular water and another guy walks up and said only sparkling water was available. So we said that was fine. Then they sit another couple next to us and their water offered them regular water. When we got the bill they charged us $12 the sparkling water for 2 people. Did not appreciate their dishonesty.
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Beautiful, iconic venue. Attentive staff and great food, what more could you want?Special Features:
- Not what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Unfortunately we didnt receive the service quality we expected and the dining process wasn't memorable.Special Features:
- Over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The food was mediocre at best. The service was poor. I asked if the bill was correct at the restaurant and was ensured it was. Upon reviewing the online menu I'm quite sure we were significantly over charged. A 20% gratuity was automatically added in, and service was nothing special. It was interesting to see Versace's mansion but the area to lounge, dine and use the restrooms in was "tired". Upon arriving they have you sitting outside alone on the front patio, zero ambiance, no cocktails, I finally asked to be seated at the bar until our table was ready. We had a 7pm reservation and they were already out of several items in the menu. They are attempting to be luxury, and failing miserably. I would not recommend.Special Features:
- Versace mansionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Hidden charges 3.50 for ice in drink,switched fish w/o telling ,resevation for 7 pm ,guests not allowed in til 7:15 poor MNGT for overpriced food an drinks ,poor experience ,never go backSpecial Features:
- Too Bad....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I each had an entree and one glass of wine. I only had two pieces of fish and one piece of bread (its like they were hoarding the bread...what happened to a nice warm bread basket. Obviously I will never be back to give it a second chance...but maybe you can fix it so that others can enjoy the Versace Mansion.....Thinking back how easy it was to get reservations there I should have known the service was probably not that great..that space/venue it should be nearly impossible to get a table for a month or so, I don't care what season it i Joe 561-809-8928 this website did not allow me to writ in my full review...there is a character limit...you
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The best pasta in my life, better than in Italie. ThxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The setting inside the Versace mansion was just spectacular, one of a kind. I particularly enjoyed the cchocolate cake desert. Staff were superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014Food is amazing, place is beautiful but the service needs attentionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014The entire experience was outstanding. The property was breathtaking and exceeded expectations, the service staff was very pleasant and accommodating. The meal was excellent, from the presentation to the flavor. We highly recommend making this a must on your places to visit/dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Sept SOBE dining reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/20141. Pied a Terre 2. Cafe Prima Pasta 3. The Restaurant by Barton G 4.Il Sole by Barton G. Very disappointed by Il Sole, service haphazard -wrong wine, conflicting menu info, pre-drinks not served, snobby hosts and staff. NOT RECOMMENDED! The Restaurant was a fun experience. The service & food good. Pied a Terre, excellent. Food exquisite, wine list exceptional and service attentive and efficient. Love French food and rate there dishes highly. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and showed us around which was a lovely and unexpected treat. Cafe Prima Pasta was also impressive good menu, service, food and beautiful interior. Thanks to Giuseppe for a complimentary drink and interest in us as customers.Very personal service, delicious food.
- Nice but extensivesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Nice dinner but we only went There for seeing the mansion and the part you will see of it is very small and the dinner too expensive. The suit còde Washington followed by us but we were very surprised when we saw a customer with sneakers, sweetshirt and a baseball cap!!! And no problem! Why???
- Rude StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I loved Il Sole. Beautiful restaurant in Gianni's old home. Only problem I had was that Gratuities are added ( 20%) to the bill. Our bill came out to 154$ with gratuities so we paid 160$ cash. The waitress never came back with our change. Although it is only 6$ I found that was very rude and disrespectful especially since we paid the 20% which was 24$ in tips. Because of this, I found the service to be very uptight and snobbish. Besides the staff, everything else was excellent and it was a night to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014The food is incredible, but be aware that the entire restaurant gives off an aura of pomposity. I was informed specifically of their more formal dress code via phone. I fretted, but they're not as strict as they say. I saw a man wearing a short-sleeve button-up, and they let my friend in with nice sneakers. I saw no jackets. Expect no tap water here. We were furnished with endless Evian refills (which showed up on our bill). Finally, make sure you request the poolside veranda. It offers a beautiful view of the mansion's mosaic pool and surrounding area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We had a lovely evening and it was great to get to see the setting of the versace mansion. But we asked if we could have a table inside the dining room and they couldn't confirm anything so we had a table on the balcony facing the pool.... sounds great but in 30 degree heat made the dining experience quite uncomfortable we finished our main courses and had to leave shortly after. We poked our heads in the dining room after and it was very opulent and air conditioned. .. It's an interesting menu and we all enjoyed it but probably wouldn't return, it was a one off, more so just to check out the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERSACE MANSIONOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014BEAUTIFUL PLACE GREAT FOOD IN SERVICE WOW PLACE LIKE NO OTHERSpecial Features:
- Thank youOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The Villa by Barton G the world famous verserce mansion in Miami.we were there for my friend 50th Birth days cerebratin. I was expecting to get the Birthday cake that I had ordered previoudly with my friends name on it .When server returned with a cake it had no name on it .Disapointed.But I did not said anything to server,its not her fault.I did not ruin the mood either.....overall Service was slow and my water glasses was empty for long time.no attention to empty glasses......the meal was fair.When I voiced my concern the night manager Mr Freddy ,tried to make amends.For that reasons,we shall be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014It was a lovely lunch and very fresh tasty food, if there were tours around the villa, it would be even better. As a visitor you find the overall Miami service a bit slow and less attentive than lets say in NYC or Boston, but nevertheless very polite staff and enjoyable time.Special Features:
- Spectacular but pretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014As we're were on vacation we thought this would be a must see as to the history and the strong legacy behind the Versace name!!!!! While the views and building were spectacular, the food was some what a let down... Not overpriced as a one off but lacked the personal touch. The servers found it very hard to understand us and made this a little awkward for us . The tables are set very close to each other so if your thinking romance forget it!!! As for the dress code we took this as a must yet only to be next to a family with children all dressed in jeans and A&F tshirts??? Would we recommend it well no not really.... It's a shame because the opportunities could be out of this world leaving you with an experience one would never forget !!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disaster!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/19/2014Ice Tea is 6! They make you feel like a second class citizen by not letting you permission to view the completely empty pool area " reserved for hotel guests". The entire " experience" is sold to you by being in the Versace Mansion. There is better food everywhere and the arrogance of the manager, Max, was enough to keep me away forever. I'm sure it will be bankrupt again and probably should be with their holier than holy attitude! Arriverderci!
- Hot Food?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Would have liked hot food other then hamburger. Thousand times better then anything on Ocean Drive regardless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.