24 - 4th St NE
Calgary, AB T2E 3R7Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilsogno.org/
- Phone: 4032328901
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday- Saturday 5:00pm - close Sunday closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Robert Fedosoff
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Corporate Meetings/ Luncheons/ Dinners, Wine Tastings, Winemaker Dinners, Birthdays, Weddings, Special Occasions, Customized Menus
A word from Il Sogno
Il Sogno is an upscale Italian restaurant located in the heart of the historic DeWaal Block in the community of Bridgeland just minutes away from down town Calgary. We welcome you to come and experience our contemporary menu influenced by the flavors of Italy while enjoying richness of the IL Sogno dining room. Accented by pre-existing 14 feet pressed tin ceilings and original hardwood floors, this historical venue provides the perfect ambience for a memorial dining experience. Lose yourself in both style and comfort while indulging in exquisite food and exceptional service. Il Sogno has received a great deal of recognition Most recently, Il Sogno was recognized with the “Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence”(2006, 2007), “Top Fine Dining in Calgary” (Where Magazine, 2006), “ Most Romantic” and “Worth the Splurge” Restaurant (Avenue Magazine’s Annual Food Awards, 2008) and CAA/ AAA “4 Diamond” rating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Il Sogno - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Il Sogno reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)romantic (63)fit for foodies (58)neighborhood gem (47)notable wine list (25)good for groups (16)great for lunch (14)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Server was fantastic, a real comicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Food presentation picturesque, timing between courses well judged by the server.Special Features:
- FoodventuristVIPDined on 9/8/2014Food and service were great. Ambiance and music were a little dated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and romanticDdotDined on 9/8/2014Great place to share an evening with a loved one. Beware of small positions for big appetites but I've consistently had great food here! Will go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirstFedersonDined on 9/4/2014Took my wife there for her birthday and was pleasantly surprised. I am usually left wanting after a trip to the "higher" end restaurants, as I would prefer a trip to the local pub for a beer and burger most of the time but I would definitely return to Il Sogno!! I had the beer cheeks and they were amazing and the wife had the scallops and was equally impressed.Special Features:
- KIds MealOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014Typically I don't complain much about restaurants but when the food comes out in kids meal sizes, I have to let people know. The ambiance and service was very good at Il Sogno. Even the lamb meatball appetizer was reasonably big enough to qualify as a decent starter. But, when the main meal came out (Risotto)it was sadly bigger than a hockey puck. I was expecting a side of sausage or some chicken. My wife's pasta was no bigger. I could have eaten both meals. Dessert was again disappointing in size. You would expect carrot cake to be a big slice not a muffin bottom sized morsel. Quality of food was very good but how much does it cost to add more rice to the risotto or more noodles to the pasta?
- Excellent food & serviceBrianDined on 8/29/2014This was our third visit to Il Sogno in 2 years, and we were very happy with the food & service again. On a Friday evening the restaurant was quite busy but the flow of the ordering, serving and dining were well timed. The wine list is reasonable priced with a nice selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable RestaurantReviewerVIPDined on 8/29/2014An interesting menu. Food always well prepared and excellent presentation. Good wine list with lots of variety. Find the portion size a tad small at times. Service is generally quite attentive and strikes an appropriate balance between formal and informal.Special Features:
- Lovely lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014We had a very enjoyable lunch. Our server was excellent and was able to answer all our questions and give great suggestions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2014Enjoyed a great lunch. Food was fantastic and the service was very good. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place, quite slowTastyBuggerDined on 8/27/2014Il Sogno has excellent atmosphere, and our waiter was nice personable. The only real issue that we had was wait time for food. Nearly an hour for an appetizer is too long, and then our meal another 30-45 minutes after that is too long. (We ordered the appetizers and mains at the same time). Good food, so that is definitely the high point of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeFoodieDined on 8/27/2014My kids and I loved the food. No matter what we ordered this visit and our last, they do not disappoint. Flavors are distinctive and pleasant. I appreciate that people like me with gluten, egg and dairy allergies have some delicious options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent gemdungbeetleDined on 8/26/2014This restaurant never disappoints! We've been coming here since it opened, lord knows how many years ago, but it remains one of the most consistently brilliant places in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh.cattDined on 8/26/2014Nice atmosphere but unremarkable food. Lacking in flavour and complexity.
- Italian with a SmilehcbcalgaryVIPDined on 8/22/2014Il Sogno is faring well despite the construction of the Meredith Block building happening to the south of it. On a Friday night, the service was prompt, friendly and very attentive. The later seatings (8 PM on) appeared much busier so coming earlier is recommended. The food here is never disappointing, and they offer the best portion sizes (not too small or too large) to allow for an appetizer, entree and dessert. We had the Artic Char and the Lamb with risotto, starting with a classic Caprese salad. All was fresh and prepared with light seasoning. Dessert was a stand out with a carrot cake and a chocolate panna cotta. This restaurant is a favourite of ours and will continue to be.Special Features:
- Ill SognowhineandineDined on 8/19/2014Although it has been almost (2) years since I have been there I was still expecting a decent food and service although- I was concerned as the labour market and what the place had become but....Everything I saw on the menu looked fantastic offering a good number of selections that were going to be based on quality rather than quantity. Needless to say, once I finished (almost licked my plate it was so good- I wondered why I don't go out more. I have no doubt with the area developing this will be a go to place. I wont wait (2) years next time. I do wish the business well but... selfishly hope that the new high rises and the people that come with them don't change this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 15August2014Dined on 8/15/2014Service was excellent, the waitress knowledgeable about the food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time back in yearsNickDVIPDined on 8/15/2014Server was friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. Space was a loud. We split the calamari with the onion loaf - both were great with the calamari cooked perfectly. I tried the beef cheeks in a polenta and was very happy with the flavours though the portion could have been larger. The prawn taglianoti was beautifully done - nice flavours but with nothing being overpowering. The wines by the glass menu was had enough for us to choose from and were very nice and reasonably priced. Dessert is a must - we had the white chocolate brulee and the chocolate panna cotta - excellent. The price point was pretty good, location is good, service great, food excellent - I'll be back. One criticism - please don't give me a menu with grease stains.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsCYPWVDined on 8/14/2014On my recent stay in Calgary, I took a friend to dinner at an old favourite, Il Sogno. My leg of lamb was delicious and cooked to perfection. The service was attentive and friendly. Thank you for the great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notable Fine Quality RestaurantLoves2dineoutVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great food, wine list, and excellent service. Was perfect for dinner prior to evening entertainment.Special Features:
- GlowDined on 8/13/2014The food was great, to start we had Beef Carpaccio which was not bad. Then we had the Duck and Scallops for our mains, both dishes very well done and delicious! We finished off with Carrot cake and Chocolate Panna Cotta, the carrot cake was warm, light and fluffy a good mix with the cold icecream. The panna cotta was nice and light which was great after eating a large meal. Service was very attentive, but I found it took a little long for our main dish to come out (I could have just been hungry). Other than that our servers were always there when needed and our drinks were always filled.Special Features:
- It was just ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014I had a Groupon and this gave me the opportunity to have a large meal. I had four courses. I found the food average and not really bursting with flavor. Desert was the best part of the meal. Service was outstanding. The venue is gorgeous. Not sure if I would go back. There are better places in the area.Special Features:
- HotPietroDined on 8/11/2014The restaurant's food is exquisite and the service Euroean, i.e., attentive, unobtrusive and realxed. The should install an air conditioning unit though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheRedHotStreakDined on 8/1/2014The food and service at Il Sogno's is always exceptional. We look forward to trying new dishes and know that we can trust whatever the chef puts together will be a treat to our taste buds.Special Features:
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2014The food, service and ambience is great. The food is so good you want to lick your plates.Special Features:
- Top-notch Food & Service!BarbDined on 7/29/2014The menu has a variety of small plates and larger portion meals to choose from and it all looked so enticing we had some trouble deciding what to order. In the end I settld on the ricotta gnocchi which I didn't intend to finish, but it was so delicicious I ate every last morsel! The mounds of wild mushrooms and light, buttery sauce gave this dish its remarkable flavour and the gnocchi was small and tender. I'll go back for this dish for sure! My companion had the prawn tagliolinia and she commented numerous times about how much she enjoyed it. The restaurant was quiet on a Tuesday lunch hour in July so we very were well served by two waiters. The atmosphere is a bit dark for a sunny summer lunch and the prices warrant a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the ambiancePleideaschildDined on 7/26/2014When I drove by and first saw the restaurant I thought it looked like a restaurant you would see in NYC so I was sold right from there. From the time we entered to the time we left the service was amazing! I wish I could remember her name but she was fantastic. The food was good but not spectacular. I had the duck breast and while it was good there was red beet purée that was under the duck so it looked a little like blood which was a little off putting. It came with both red and yellow beets which are my favourite vegetables. There were only a few little squares of yellow beets and a little onion on the side if that. No starch at all which was disappointing. Dessert was good :) I would recommend il sogno tho b/c the service was so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob1948Dined on 7/26/2014The service was very good. Our waiter was attentive but not in our face. My wife's food was very good and she enjoyed it. My lamb was tough and the meal lacked the flavours of lamb that I like. The rice needed salt. Wine choice very good. Overall enjoyed the experience and will return.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014The food was awful, lamb leg was sliced and BBQ (I guess) tough meat and tasteless. It didn't taste lamb at all. Risotto was not fully cooked. The beef cheek, what a joke. I looked brisket to me. What a shame!! I was a loyal customer. Somehow, this time really put me off.
- superbOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014the food was incredible very much enjoyed the different tastes lamb meatballs was everything and more than the review I read the sever was funny and informative loved the old building the floors and ceilings make for a different feel one thing was weird, all the windows were covered with deep red curtains except our table? the curtain was open it was early evening but the view was of construction? and being a 50 plus women not into bright lights could be just they always leave that drape open for light but over all very lovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really Italian, but excellent!HammyDined on 7/21/2014We chose Il Sogno since it was open on a Monday and was listed as Calgary's "Best Italian" by recent reviews. In reality, it's more Italian inspired, not classically Italian, but it is excellent food!! The highlights of the meal were scallops with hominy...simple, and a perfect combination of flavors...and the desserts. Normally my husband will share his creme brulee, but he wasn't inclined to feel generous with this one. Luckily my carrot cake was heavenly, so I didn't feel deprived ;-) Our server was an absolute delight--we were the last to leave, so he regaled us with a few neighborhood stories and other dining suggestions for the future. He would be enough to get us to return, even if the food hadn't been so delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressed!DinerGuyDined on 7/19/2014We had a very lovely dinner celebration. Dishes were very tasty and unique. Especially enjoyed appetizers calamari in tomato sauce and the lamb meatballs. Service was excellent, attentive but not overbearingSpecial Features:
- FantasticKam2125Dined on 7/16/2014Four of us, 2 from Toronto and 2 from local, always enjoy quality food and service. This restaurant delivered both. We had wine, appetizers, salads, pasta, and of course dessert at the end. The server is knowledgeable about the food and his job. Also, very friendly. Overall an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanealDined on 7/7/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Food, service and ambience is always exceptional.Special Features:
- Definitely a FindPietroDined on 7/5/2014This is an exceptional restaurant. The food is creative, delicious and well served. The server was helpful, decisive and could also anticipate our needs. The restaurant has been in business 14 years and one should try it. They will not be disappointed. The price to value ratio is also very good.Special Features:
- ExcellentSkittleDined on 7/4/2014This is one of my wife's favourite places. The service is excellent, the atmosphere is great and the food is outstanding. I had the beef cheek which was so tender. Their wine list is quite large too. The only thing is the menu doesnt change too much, but it's a great place to go for an anniversary dinner or some other special occasion,Special Features:
- Nice Evening OutDineOutDuoDined on 6/28/2014The staff were very friendly and accommodating, and the food was uniquely prepared and tasty, although on the pricy side for our budget. (Mains $29 to $32. We like to try new places and enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- Simply perfectmoCalgaryDined on 6/27/2014The food is delicious. The service was amazing. I'd recommend Il Sogno to anyone.Special Features:
- Our FavoriteSharonDined on 6/21/2014Il Sognol is consistently the best. the quiet room so you can enjoy the food and your guests is rare these days. the food and service is superb.Special Features:
- DineDivineDined on 6/21/2014Our first time at this little hidden gem in Bridgeland. We were warmly welcomed when we arrived and were seated at a quite table for four. Our servers were attentive and we were not rushed to place our orders. We were there for over 3 hours enjoying every course. The chef did a beautiful job with all our meals and they were all delicious. We would defiantly recommend this restaurant and go back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Food was great but not very big portions. Waiter was terrific, very patient when answering all our questions. A little disappointed in the menu selection, expected more choices. Would love to hear some Italian music while dining, too. Overall a great dinner, great service and great food!!Special Features: