152 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilriccionyc.com/
- Phone: 2126399111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:30pm If you are making a reservation between 5pm and 6pm on Monday through Friday we are offering a discount of 15% from your cheque.
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Il Riccio
A favorite neighborhood restaurant for those in the know. Not only is the food good but the people-watching is terrific. Our warm friendly staff welcomes locals like Henry Kissinger, Ralph Lauren and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg plus assorted Upper East Side beauties. Specializing in the fabulous flavors of the Amalfi coast, selections include delicious risottos, osso bucco, specialty pasta, as well as more exotic fare like roasted lamb garnished with balsamic vinegar and rosemary. Delectable home made desserts along with an extensive wine list. Soft hand-painted ochre colored walls, sensually sweet background music and attentive service provide a memorable dining experience at this distinctively chic restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Riccio reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (6)romantic (6)special occasion (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- NYCRunnerBeanVIPDined on 10/17/2014A gem that exceeds expectations. Friendly, great food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet but deliciousajbatesonDined on 10/13/2014When we arrived for lunch on a holiday Monday there was no one in the restaurant. This turned out to be a great thing as the service was quick and attentive. We were delighted with how delicious our meals were and thought the menu was great because it was interesting and didn't offer the same standards of all Italian restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014It is hard to find a restaurant that a party of 4 can conversation and hear everyone, Il Riccio is a perfect place!! Sitting in the front or back of the restaurant the noise level was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming neighborhood ItaliandparrDined on 10/6/2014Our first time here and we sat in the back garden room. We ordered from the specials for the night and enjoyed our food very much. Everything was fresh, well prepared and served with the perfect balance of attentiveness and casual welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousFaiarVIPDined on 10/2/2014we started with fried zucchini and ended with biscotti and that was on the house the wines were good, the breads good our half pastas were delicious and so were the fish the staff is terrific healthy dining and very good foodSpecial Features:
- Aimed to PleaseWINESNOBDined on 9/13/2014This was my third visit to this small, yet charming Upper Eastside gem! I had hoped for a glass of Rosè, but was told that they only had it for the summer months, so I settled for a glass of White Wine. I asked about the Fedelini Primavera, but was told it had a tomato sauce base...the waiter heard my displeasure with the tomato sauce base and offered to have the dish prepared in an evoo and garlic. Wow, he had good ears and wanted to please! When the dish arrived, the portion size was more than I would have eaten, yet the vegetables were cooked to perfection and the EVOO and garlic had just the right amount to balance out the dish...I ate every single morsel....yum Good job Chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehShuttersRegularVIPDined on 9/2/2014Nothing special here. Seems like it has been around a while, perhaps as a reasonable choice in a pricey neighborhood, but so many better Italian restaraunts within a decent radius, will not be back
- Good lunchBillDined on 8/23/2014This is my favorite UES restaurant for lunch. The food is excellent, and genuine Italian -- Tuscan-flavored -- as well as reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful lunch in the neighborhoodN45STVIPDined on 8/15/2014I made this reservation for my 80 year old mother and 3 of her girlfriends and had a wonderful time, they loved the food and the service. It's a small and cozy, authentic Italian, hidden gem.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood placeBryantfanDined on 7/30/2014Excellent place for four people or fewer. Back area under the glass roof beautiful. Food average but good for the priceSpecial Features:
- Not as GoodJerryDined on 7/26/2014This used to be one of our neighborhood favorites. Last two times the welcome and subsequent service have been mediocre. There is just no zip in the place ant more. The fried zucchini used to be a staple for each table. Now you have to beg for it. Needs an overhaul.
- 3rd times a charmwmw322VIPDined on 6/24/2014This was my 3rd visit & it's been amazing each & every time. Reservation honored immediately on this very busy evening.The merlot was a great wine choice & a full pour. The eggplant parm we shared as an appetizer was the best I've had in ages. 2 of us had the fish stew one the chicken special, we were oooing & ahhhing throughout our meal. Excellent service. Water refilled constantly. Bathroom small but clean. Gracious host. Coming back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 311 reviews are from the Il Riccio reviews archive.
- Wonderful neighborhood restaurantHappyLocalDined on 6/15/2014We eat often at Il Riccio. The specials list is as long as the menu, so don't choose your meal before talking to the waiter. We often receive little "extras" like an amuse bouche, a glass of limoncello, or biscotti, which is delightful. Ask to be seated in the back room, a charming little garden room where the noise level is usually lower than in the front.Special Features:
- Feels like Italy..GourmantVIPDined on 6/12/2014We has a wonderful lunch in the garden room. Mother service and ambience was outstanding. Quiet, like being the Italian countryside. We shared the burr afa sald and crabmeat. Both excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant. Looking forward to a dinner there.Special Features:
- too expensivejohnVIPDined on 6/11/2014The old trick of ordering off the menu made this a very expensive meal, and the wine list is also overly costly, with few reasonable selections.
- DELICIOUS SEAFOODjujuVIPDined on 6/10/2014THE SEAFOOD DISHES WERE THE BEST THAT I'VE HAD LATELY.Special Features:
- quiet, pleasant, a bit blandJaneBDined on 6/6/2014They could kick up the flavors a bit. Food was well prepared, but inadequately spiced. Service was pleasant and the back room with the skylight was a pleasant respite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amateur hourWayneVIPDined on 5/30/2014The fact that the restaurant was practically empty at 9:00 on a Friday night should have been a sign that something was wrong. It didn't take long to discover why. The bread was stale. The salad appetizer was uninspired, the ravioli appetizer was overcooked. We ordered two entree specials, soft shell crabs and a version of Veal Milanese. Both were soggy and overcooked, probably from the same sauté pan. The soft shell crabs were minuscule, mealy and tasteless. The veal was greasy and cold. I thought most of these mediocre Upper East Side Italian restaurants had closed or hired real chefs, but I guess these folks still think they can get away with serving the bad food we had.
- a real disappointmentdupesterVIPDined on 5/29/2014We have been going to Il Riccio for 12 years ever since we moved to the neighborhood. It is reliable, good and but for the HORRIBLE chair seats that need cushions, it is good. Taking my old college friend to the place, I knew it would be reliable if nothing else. She ordered Salmon which came half cooked and was returned for a nother go and it was returned still not cooked. This is not a sushi place. There was only one other table being served so the kitchen couldn't have been swamped. My grilled veal paillard which i get every time i go was grisly much to my disappointment. Maybe the day time is a different chef and a different crew. my guest retured the salmon and requested another simple green salad. I was horrified.Special Features:
- Great restaurantAOnateDined on 5/23/2014Il Riccio is an amazing restaurant. The staff makes you feel like home. Food was great. Service too. They made my special occasion dinner a night to remember.Special Features:
- very enjoyablehmaxrVIPDined on 5/11/2014great find..near the Met...very good food with friendly, attentive service...will definitely return.Special Features:
- Took a chance and wonTomKDined on 5/4/2014Didn't know much about the place but had a great meal, great service, and absolutely would go backSpecial Features:
- So ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014I feel like I'm in Italy when I eat here. The food and service is all about relaxation and enjoyment of life. A delicious experience all around.Special Features:
- DisappointingNYvisitorDined on 5/2/2014A lovely place, we were in the rear garden which was very nice. I wish I could say the same for the food. The beet salad special tasted of a tired canned beet and wilted fennel. The pastas were swimming in way too much mediocre sauce--one tomato, one pesto. Service was friendly and efficient but some difficulty splitting the check for three credit cards.
- A wonderful dinning experience!foodiescantalkandeatDined on 4/25/2014We will definitely come back again and try other dishes. I love the idea that there are so many specials of the day. The service was very nice and the 4 of us had a very delicious dining experience. Next time we will try the tables in the back room just to see what the room feels like for two! We loved the relaxed atmosphere and attentive service..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Riccio was VERY GOOD!!!L7CamperVIPDined on 4/18/2014Food, service, table, atmosphere was very good, friendly, clean and neat and the food was really very good. Pasta was served perfectly and delicious. We sat up front and was charmed by the friendly service. The back area looked very different and also just as nice! Even good for a group dinner. We will be back especially that it is within walking distance for us. Thank you Il Riccio.Special Features:
- Upscale family restaurantFiddleDeeDeeVIPDined on 4/11/2014I loved our meal at Il Riccio! It's tucked away behind some construction right now, but don't miss it. Fresh food, gluten-free pasta as well as divine regular pasta, lovely salads dressed perfectly, great desserts. 2 families were eating there with well-behaved kids and it just felt like home. Service is attentive and personal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good mexican foodhungryfamilyDined on 4/11/2014We enjoyed a good Mexican dinner at Il Riccio. The service was a little slow but the restaurant was very busy. The cornbread is a must have. Delicious! We had two hungry teenage boys in our party and they left very full having consumed every bite.Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant!AOnateDined on 4/10/2014Salads were good and with a well balanced dressing. The pasta had the right balance and great flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- true gemTomSerenDined on 3/22/2014Fresh and deliciously prepared dishes, creative combinations and specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just averagesrnlx01Dined on 3/1/2014After spending an hour trying to find a last minute spot on a Saturday night, and walking to this place and seeing it more than half empty, was definitely not a good sign. The waiter was friendly and service was overall good. The food was somewhere between not good and average. The linguini with white clam sauce was just not good, too much garlic. I can't remember what else we had, which doesn't bode well.
- Excellent PastasDiane707VIPDined on 2/25/2014If you want pasta this is the neighborhood place. Freshly made and deliciousSpecial Features:
- Always specialCewiDined on 2/21/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants! Delicious and always seasonally fresh food. Outstanding service. A real neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not the place to godisapointedDined on 2/4/2014Would not recommend this restaurant. Mediocre food verging on the uneatable. The seafood risotto was a sodden soggy lump with no shrimp. Fettucini with shrimp had hard small shrimp and what looked like canned mushrooms. Too bad a neighborhood restaurant can't provide better food. Service was good.
- We really enjoyed the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/24/2014We really enjoyed the food and the wine. Service was great and the energy level high.Special Features:
- we had the Best evening @ Il Ricciowmw322VIPDined on 1/20/2014Greeted & seated at once! Despite that they had no blood orange for their noted salad, we had a blast. Carmine was our fantastic server. The wine was a full pour & perfect. Branzino amazing! Chicken parm authentic! Pasta & clams delicate & flavorful. It feel as if you're back in the old country of Italy. Attentive staff! Not fancy decor but comfortable. I feel like we're eating home & all I had to make was a reservation :-) We Love it! Be sure not to miss their cappuccino. Looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/14/2014expensive.. for two orders of orato over salad greens..no dessert or firsts. service very sweet but slow. Place was deserted.
- I would come back. BewarelilyVIPDined on 1/9/2014I would come back. Beware that chicken/veal parm not on the menu but offered as a staple yet it is priced as a special!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NYE spotconwje01Dined on 12/31/2013I booked this pretty much last minute for a friend and I on NYE and I thought it was great. They had a ton of balloons with streamers flowing down and the staff was festive. The food was very good especially for the prices, not bad. Would definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming place, great foodton1010Dined on 12/28/2013We found this restaurant on Open Table when looking for a place to eat near the Metropolitan Art Museum and it was exactly what we were looking for with its charming European decor and excellent food and service. We shared a tuna carpacchio appetizer which was the best we've ever had. For main course we had a grilled shrimp over greens and a red snapper special with lemon and wine sauce; both were excellent. All in all a wonderful find....we will return. Thank you, Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.