507 9th Ave at 38th St.
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilpuntoristorante.com/
- Phone: 212-244-0088x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 12pm - 10pm,
Saturday and Sunday 4pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Sicilian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: On-site catering is available for private parties from 8 to 80 guests.We will be happy to discuss different menu options, buffet or served.
- Entertainment: Ambiant music
- Special Events: Celebrate small moments and special occasions at Il Punto in of our intimate party rooms. Birthdays, anniversaries, engagement parties, rehearsal dinners, christening, graduations, promotions... we will do our best to make your event memorable!
- Cross Street: 38th Street
- Public Transit: Bus stop on the block of the restaurant on 9th Avenue and corner of 38th Street.
On 42nd Street - A,B,C,D, E and F trains nearby.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Convenient small parking lot directly next door on 38th street corner of 9th Avenue (closes at 10pm). Several parking garages within a couple of blocks, street parking is also available after 7pm on weekdays.
A word from iL Punto
Discover authentic Italian cuisine. IL PUNTO Ristorante's menu features house-made fresh pastas, grilled and roasted seafood, poultry and veal. Excellent food, artfully presented in a pleasurable atmosphere. In addition, enjoy choosing from an extensive list of fine wines. Simple, yet classic, interior gives the perfect setting, for business or pleasure. We offer a full separate bar that seats 8-10. Two intimate event rooms are available for gatherings of 8 or more, one is semi-private and the second is private with its own full bar as well.Continued
Great location, just 4 short blocks to the Javits Center, 2 blocks to Port Authority, also close to Madison Square Garden, Penn Station and the Theatre District.
Your escape to Italy is right here in Midtown Manhattan!
Great location, just 4 short blocks to the Javits Center, 2 blocks to Port Authority, also close to Madison Square Garden, Penn Station and the Theatre District.
Your escape to Italy is right here in Midtown Manhattan!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
iL Punto reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (78)fit for foodies (56)romantic (41)special occasion (37)notable wine list (36)good for groups (20)great for lunch (16)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Outstanding valueDiningguruDined on 10/18/2014The entire experience was outstanding. The service was excellent, they were attentive but not intrusive and allowed us to enjoy our meal and conversation with our friends. We did not feel rushed through dinner as often the case when you dine prior to the theater and another seating will be squeezed in. The wine from Montepulciano was excellent and a very good value. ($45). We chose to dine from the pre-theater menu. For $40, we received an appetizer; (my appetizer was 2 large crab cakes) an entree (my entree was chicken, asparagus and cheese along with a side of mashed potatoes), and dessert. We also received complimentary cold tomato soup along with biscotti with our coffee. I would not hesitate to dine there again.Special Features:
- Perfect!retsyDined on 10/18/2014We have already recommended Il Punto to others. We had an excellent dinner. The complimentary tomato soup start and biscotti and chocolate end were charming and a great touch. The service was exceptional! This was our first visit to Il Punto, and it was a special occasion, so thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- intimate pre theatre dining-couplesparticular2Dined on 10/17/2014tried this restaurant from reading reviews. no friends had ever been here. we were pleased at the appearance on the outside. very neat and clean. we arrived to a very warm welcome. our waiter was very nice and sensitive to our theatre time. the meal came very quickly and was delicious and so was the ice cold rose. very cozy and intimate with a personal flair. would go back and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOliaVIPDined on 10/17/2014Delicious pasta especially with porcini mushrooms, poached pear was delicious. The service is a bit slow. We had to wait for our entree and asked a few times to hurry because we were going to a show .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JlcnycVIPDined on 10/17/2014Nice and elegant setting with good service While pasta was cooked well. The food was generally bland. The seafood risotto tasted just like boile rice. The special fish dish did not taste fresh, instead it had that aftertaste of fish that had remained frozen far too long. It also was overcooked, and therefore a bit dry. The dessert was good, but had the stardard taste of mass produced desserts (ie, lots of calories for no special taste reason). And while the food was mediocre, at best, the prices were high. I am not going back, unless I have to. This is unfortunate, because it is so close to the 42nd Street theater row.
- DutchfugeDined on 10/16/2014An attentive service sat us down in the second room of three, bit strange as it seemd more a passage way than a real dining area. The risotto with crab was made with really fresh ingredients and the crab as actually present, no cheap escape. With the risotto creamy and the vegetables fresh and crisp a little zest or tinge was missing, a pity as the dish combined the right flavors. The deserts were a mix of pans cotta in vanillas and chocolate style. Perfectly executedSpecial Features:
- Great food & service!greatvaluesVIPDined on 10/15/2014After reading the great reviews on Open Table and Trip Advisor I decided to give iL Punto a try. Went for dinner during the middle of the week and it was quite lively, but not too busy. My husband had the black ink linguini with clams and I had the baked ziti with eggplant. Both were cooked perfectly al dente and were excellent. Also had the chocolate cake w/ vanilla gelato....amazing. Cake was cooked perfectly...not too runny nor too dense like fudge. Best we have ever had!! Service was excellent as well. Highly recommend if visiting NYC.Special Features:
- FantasticHazelnutsDined on 10/15/2014Lovely ambience. Bartender was great -- made me a cocktail that he designed, and it was delicious. Service was wonderful. They let us taste and select from two red wines on the "by the glass" list. We had the Vellutata di Lenticchie (tasty and velvety lentil soup), Insalata di Finocchi Arrance e Frutti di Bosco (a fresh, bright salad), Il Timbalo (a fabulous melange of flavors), and Vitello al Marsala 2013 (the sauce!). We enjoyed it very much, and would return without hesitation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!len126VIPDined on 10/12/2014Our group of 4 had a remarkable pre-Ranger game dinner at Il Punto. What I always enjoy at Il Punto. besides the food which is always excellent, is the feeling that everyone, from Antonio and Giancarlo up front, the bartenders, and the wait staff and the kitchen, is sincerely interested that you have a great dining experience. There are certainly many great restaurants in New York. For my money, however, the whole experience of dining at Il Punto far surpasses all the rest.
- A fine placecollardgreensDined on 10/11/2014Il Punto is a lovely restaurant. The food is top-notch and the service is very efficient and friendly. My companion and I had an 8:00 curtain and the staff did everything within their power to help. And the owner and manager is very friendly and makes the restaurant feel like a Mom and Pop place. Another plus: it's also a place where you don't need to shout to be heard. Thank you, Il Punto!Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerjaydeejayVIPDined on 10/11/2014Located near the theater district, we stopped her for an early dinner before a show. The restaurant has a beautiful and comfortable decor; and we were made to feel welcome from the moment we walked in. We were given a complementary cold tomato soup with croutons and basil oil which was a great way to start. We began with appetizers of mushrooms stuffed with crab meat and a caprese salad with burratta. As a main course, we had the meat tortellini with peas and prosciutto and the linguini al frutti di mare. The food was fresh, flavorful and delicious. We shared a bottle of wine. The wine list is very good and the mark up is reasonable. For dessert, my husband had the panna cotta and I had the chocolate souffle with vanilla ice cream. Great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth of the money you payPitupokaDined on 10/4/2014We made a reservation here after reading opinions of Tripadviser. I have to say that the food was not worth of money we paid; for me mozzarella/tomato salad for first and chicken breast after that, actually nothing special, I think I can cook the same thing at home and I am not good at all in the kitchen. And the same with my husband, quite fair... 2 glasses of wine both of us, no dessert and it was 150 $. I don't mind to pay if it is worth of it, but this time it was not.
- Excellent Food and WineASimDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I picked this restaurant randomly from Open Table and were so pleasantly surprised. It was clean, very well decorated and had a romantic vibe. The service was excellent and we loved the food. Overall great experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedCrystalrowerDined on 10/3/2014This is a very pleasant place, with nice ambiance, terrific service, and nicely presented food. The complementary soup and bread were both really good. Alas those were the highlights of the meal, as the lasagna equivalent was mushy, and the sea bass and seafood risotto were fishy. If I lived here, I would give it one more try tho, as I think there is potential and the staff really tried to please. As a visitor, I'm afraid I won't be back the next time I'm in the city.
- Delicious!FirstTimersVIPDined on 10/3/2014We enjoyed a wonderfully prepared and served meal - everything was perfect! Special note for the excellent service - we needed some help choosing entrees and the server could not have been more helpful or knowledgable. The entrees (especially the lighter than air gnocchi) and appetizers were delicious and my daughter loved the tasty, fresh dessert.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem!OrlandoVIPDined on 10/2/2014Consistently great food with friendly welcoming service . . . who could ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced for its qualityPurpledressdollDined on 9/30/2014Chose the place because a dear friend was in town doing audition nearby, so where we could go was constrained. Checked reviews where they showed no red flag. Waitstaff are very attentive, however the food wasn't on par. Both appetizers, the mozzarella in the caprese salad and the grilled octopus tasted like they had been soaked in the water for a long time, very tender but lost their distinct taste. The squid ink paste was however quite good. Would not eat again. For the price, we could have gone somewhere much better.
- Great dinner!!dentaldanVIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was delicious and well prepared. Staff was knowledgeable and attentive. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for after theater dining!ToshibaDined on 9/27/2014We were in NYC for a theater trip and did not want to go to one of the "usual" recommended restaurants on the theater scene. Il Punto was a cozy environment with great food and excellent service. We would definitely return on our next trip.Special Features:
- Tutto va benissimo da Il PuntodesignwriteDined on 9/25/2014What a lovely dining experience! The totality: wonderful food; location is ideal for many theaters; a nicely appointed restaurant with generous space betw tables; noise level pleasant, allows for conversation. Maitre d' Antonio is a gem, solicitous and warm, esp if you chat in Italian. Re: the Specials--enough options, not so many you lose track. Our waiter described them knowledgeably and almost lovingly. After a starter of the Il Bosco salad (fresh greens, walnuts, perfectly dressed), we chose porcini risotto and the cannelloni with veal ragu. Both memorable. Presentation is elegant. Bread basket includes grissini, focaccia, and crusty Italian--all top quality. Americano coffee was the best I've had in forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/23/2014We have eaten here several times when working in NY and never been disappointed. Last night was no exception. The stuffed artichoke hearts were very different and I have never had them blanketed in a red sauce. They were delicious and three of us thoroughly enjoyed them as a shared appetizer. We all had pasta dishes, all equally enjoyed, and one diner commented that he remember the Timballo just as delicious as the first time he ate the same thing.Special Features:
- Jlma7@aol.comJm2RmDined on 9/20/2014Took my special man for a birthday dinner and I would have to say the service and food was outstanding. Rafael was our waiter and he was terrific and the servers were on it!! The stuffed mushroom caps delicious as well as the snapper. Can't wait to go back. You won't be disappointed !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceStatenIslanddinerDined on 9/20/2014Since it was a Saturday night with several large events occurring in Manhattan, it was critical to have made the reservation prior to going to a Broadway show. Reservation was honored and they were very patient as one member of the party had to park a car in a lot several blocks ago and the traffic was terrible. The menu had some interesting options to present the food. Portions were a little small, but one realizes that it is in the Theatre District. Unfortunately, we could not stay for desert. The staff allowed one of the party to taste some wines before selecting one. Guests were provided with an pre-appetizer of a cold soup, which was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GFLUVITALIANDined on 9/20/2014The food was delicious. My wife and I both had the lobster special. It was excellent. Even though we both chose the same entree, there were many worthy choices on the menu. The service was also excellent. Very attentive and helpful!Special Features:
- Very ImpressedmylazylabDined on 9/19/2014We were welcomed promptly upon arrival by the host. He was extremely polite and attentive. Upon being seated at our table, we were greeted and served a complimentary appetizer of cold tomato basil soup and homemade bread, both of which were freshly prepared. I knew immediately we were in for a treat. I ordered minestrone soup as an appetizer, which was also freshly prepared and served in a large soup bowl. For the entree, I chose pasta with eggplant and my husband ordered the lobster ravioli. We both loved the authenticity of the cuisine. The service was excellent. The staff was attentive, professional, friendly, and hard working. I would definitely recommend iL Punto to a friend and would return on a future visit to NYCSpecial Features:
- Surprisingly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Just out of the Times Square craziness and quite near the Baryshnikov Art Center, this restaurant was a wonderful and welcome surprise. The service was excellent and the food exceeded our expectations. When we ordered one entree to share, the kitchen plated it in two portions. Even though it was quite full, the noise level was low enough to carry on a conversation without yelling. The food was very good and beautifully served. We will go back there whenever we have tickets at the Baryshnikov Center.Special Features:
- Wish I had more timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014I came here with my husband for dinner just before a broadway show. I made a reservation and though late due to traffic, our table was still available to us as we were greeted at the door. The service was swift yet attentive, which could be a result of them being used to the theater crowds. I had the octopus salad and cioppino, both very delicious and fresh. The broth from the cioppino was a nice balance of sea and tomato and all of the seafood tasting fresh. I really wished that we had more time to enjoy all parts of our dinner and didn't have to rush out. For that reason, I would love to go back again.Special Features:
- Perfect MealDine2SkiDined on 9/18/2014We were pleasantly surprised at what a wonderful dining experience we had at this lovely restaurant convenient to MSG before a concert. The service was friendly and frequent and the food was excellent from the fresh salad greens with a delicious dressing to the warm Italian bread sticks and a main course of Chilean Sea Bass special and pasta with Lobster sauce. Dessert was a creamy heavenly rich chocolate and vanilla gelato with delicious coffee. Though a bit pricey for a not so desirable area, it was worth the cost for its consistency and overall perfect meal. We would most definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, we loved this spotBinyodaDined on 9/17/2014My friends and I loved the experience we had at Il Punto, from the crisp look to the service to the amazing food, what a wonderful lunch. We first had the amuse bouche, a lovely cold tomato soup , yum. We did a lot of sharing, so we split a special salad, and special it was, burratta with prosciutto and arugula in a lemony dressing. We thought it was the best prosciutto ever and the burratta was the creamiest. For entrées, each was wonderful, a special risotto with shrimp and asparagus, a spicy spaghetti with seafood and a Carpaccio with arugula, parm and a fresh lemon dressing. Each was delightful. The dessert was each ordering cappuccino and out comes biscotti and dark chocolates as a surprise. So good, we'll be back.Special Features:
- Great Gem, close to MSG/theatresskl822Dined on 9/13/2014We were so happy to find this great authentic Italian restaurant near Madison Square Garden, as we always struggle to find a great place to go before a concert. Menu had many interesting dishes, as well as traditional items for the less adventurous. each item we ordered was better than the next - all excellent. Definitely coming back! servers were attentive and genuinely cared, even though it was busy night.Special Features:
- Great service and excellent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I were in from Seattle to attend a wedding. We met a good friend at iL Punto's for dinner one night and had a great time. We were treated fantastically and the food was outstanding. They came up with a very nice Pinot Gris that made the night perfect. We couldn't book Becco's and I am glad that we couldn't. A quiet evening with a friend in a very nice, and relatively quiet restaurant. We would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Excellent RestaurantdyejymDined on 9/11/2014We made the reservation looking for a pre theatre meal. iL Punto was conveniently placed between Penn station and the theatre. We were greeted warmly (1740) and explained our need to get to a 1930 performance. The wait staff was professional, friendly and efficient. We did not feel rushed but the service was prompt (as required) The excellent salad was prepared with fresh ingredients and a subtle vinagrette. The pasta dish made with a marinara sauce incorporated eggplant and a touch of mozzarella cheese The Canoli was better than any we have had (my wife is Italian and an expert cook). The mixed drink was well prepared and the espresso perfect. We will return with family and spend more time in this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Simply Remarkablelen126VIPDined on 9/10/2014We invited some friends and had a truly remarkable dining experience. From our greeting at the door by Antonio and the service by the rest of the staff to the excellent preparations, particularly the risotto, the stuffed mushrooms, the several pastas we tried, and a light and tasty tiramisu, we all enjoyed our visit to Il Punto. The room was full and the vibe was great and it was obvious that patrons were enjoying themselves. Great time all around.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/9/2014I had the most gracious, attentive service I have possibly ever had in a restaurant in New York here before the theater. Unfortunately the food, while beautifully presented, was just average -- almost flavorless. Prices high. Wines nothing to write home again. I would not go back.
- Good ChoiceSueKVIPDined on 9/8/2014The service was wonderful. The food was wonderful. The salads are absolutely delicious. This is a keeper!Special Features:
- Magnifico!KimLynn69Dined on 9/6/2014My best friend and I dined at Il Punto prior to seeing "If/Then" at Richard Rodgers Theater on 9/6. Tucked into an unassuming corner spot in Hell's Kitchen, the restaurant was intimate, yet bright and cheerful, the staff were polished and absolutely professional, but playful and friendly, as well. We shared the prosciutto appetizer (Tagliere di Salumi), and each enjoyed an Insalata di Bosco. For mains, I went simplistic with the Ziti and my bestie had the sea bass. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING, was to die for. Fresh, flavorful, rich. We insisted that we were too full for dessert, but our server was not accepting that, and slid a panna cotta in front of us with two spoons on the house. We couldn't resist. Delish! We WILL go back.Special Features:
- Great foodmews4598VIPDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant felt like a real find. Food was inventive and delicious.Special Features:
- Thought I was in grandma kitchencidriveuVIPDined on 9/6/2014The poached pear salad perfection in every bite. Buffalo caprese excellent the mozzarella soft tender. We then decided on the gnocchi it was so fresh and light with a thin sauce chop meat, cream we could have eaten this all night. Then the main course what to say crusted mushroom veal Marsala like you never had before fork tender we also had mini braciole with fresh pasta melt in your mouth bringing me back to Italy. Keep room for dessert a panna cotta was perfect also tried the chocolate melt in your mouth cake spot on! My nonna would love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dining Italian in NYCafergusDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I had a very nice meal to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary. We made early reservations in advance of a 7:30pm Broadway show and were very pleased by the excellent service. It almost felt like we had the place to ourselves. We enjoyed a three course meal consisting of appetizer, primi, and secondi. Both our appetizers were great and we shared a primi of pesto pasta which my wife enjoyed. I had Chilean Sea Bass as secondi which was very tender and fresh while my wife enjoyed the roasted chicken dish. Dinner was enjoyed with a nice Napa Pinot Grigio and we were offered celebratory champagne and chocolate as toast. I recommend this for anyone seeking reservations near the Broadway district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-theater spotFoodfinderVIPDined on 9/4/2014Met some friends here for an early dinner before a show. Exceeded expectations on every level.'our server was very helpful and timed the meal perfectly so we could make our show time. Burrata starter and Salads were fresh, tastey and beautifully presented. Sea bass. Lamb chops and chicken with artichoke hearts all nicely prepared, delicately sauced served in adequate, not obese portions. Delicious food and great service in an atmosphere where you can actually have a conversation. What more could one ask for?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.