337 East 49th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ilpostinony.com/
- Phone: 2126880033
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Luigi Russo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
A word from Il Postino
Il Postino sets the standard for authentic Italian cuisine. The superior quality of the food and relaxing atmosphere creates a memorable dining experience. Owners Luigi Russo and Alfio Ruocco have built a wonderful dining establishment that has gone unrivaled in the neighborhood for over 16 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Postino reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (8)great for lunch (6)romantic (6)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Superb!DeanaVIPDined on 8/12/2014As always, excellent food and service! Only caution - order from menu, not off it (prices aren't displayed) - but that goes for ANY restaurant.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful nightDisappointedDined on 7/30/2014My husband and I had a great night! Dinner was excellent and the appetizer was fanastic. The anti-pasta was fresh and very good. The wine that we had was excellent . The service was on point and it was a very special eventing. We will definitely consider going back and we would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticMattDined on 7/20/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in NYC and my last visit will do nothing but solidify it's ranking near the top. The regular menu has almost too many good options, and if you still can't find something they will make whatever you want. Try Il Postino and I guarantee you will be back a 2nd time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedJrm1378Dined on 7/18/2014Extremely over priced. The cheapest entree is around $25. However, the food was amazing!Special Features:
- NewvisitJagourmetDined on 7/17/2014Down hill since we were her last, except the service was great
- Good and reliable food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014Food was close to excellent, Service was excellent. The waiter announced all of the specials and all with out consulting his list. I had the double cut veal chop which was cooked to perfection. The vegetables were barely present but cooked well. As an appetizer we shared what seemed to be a house specialty, broiled artichoke hearts, which were tasty. My friend had the Bronzini baked with a huge sea salt dome covering it which he thought was excellent. This was my third visit and I have yet to have anything I didn't like. In the past I've had the pounded veal cutlet several seafood appetizers which were always top notch. Just off the FDR Drive at 49th street and with reasonably priced parking virtually at the door.Special Features:
- consistently deliciousKeeper2BsureVIPDined on 6/26/2014Il Postino consistently serves delicious food . The service is excellent. The tables are spacious, the dining room full but on the quiet side. Lovely for conversation, yet lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed303FoodieDined on 6/8/2014Chose Il Postino for location. Food was average, slightly below expectations for Italian in New York. Staff tries to upsell on all menu items (even those you don't expect to get charged for!!). Overall I would choose another place if you are looking for a good Italian dining experience in Midtown East.Special Features:
- chanceDined on 5/20/2014Excellent quality for every course. Pricey but delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 226 reviews are from the Il Postino reviews archive.
- Incredible pasta !OstanelloDined on 5/12/2014such good italian experience food right in middle of NY !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/9/2014Greedy pushy service-upselling at every turn followed by attitude if you don't want to play the mark. When the check came there was only a total hand written and it was outrageous-way over what we had ordered. No idea how this place stays in business
- UnwelcomingJoe1VIPDined on 4/25/2014Very aggressive, unwelcoming waiter. He tried to push certain appetizers on us before we'd had a chance to look at menu. Made the whole experience unpleasant. We had no sense that we were welcome guests.
- Il Postino Always DeliversksapolloDined on 4/12/2014I have eaten here dozens of times over the years and Postino never disappoints. The Giant prawns were lobster sized and grilled to perfection. At least six different fresh fish options and some of the best pasta dishes in Manhattan. Hard to find a place this good in NYC where you can actually carry on a conversation without shouting accross the table.Special Features:
- Unique choices beyond the typicalJayDDined on 4/5/2014Wonderful menu with lots of specials including the largest jumbo shrimp and delicious meat balls. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. Yummy wines and generous portions. Friendly staff too. We will go back sooner.Special Features:
- Best Service in NYC!Jenny1015VIPDined on 3/27/2014We loved our dining experience at Il Postino. The food was spectacular but the service is the huge selling point! They are so well staffed and knowledgeable. Our friends went back the next night too!! I can't wait to eat at Il Postino on my next trip to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedmikeyDined on 3/16/2014extremely disappointed after being told that it was comparable to il mulino downtown...unfortunately it was not in the same league
- Unfortunately the veal chopkikelinVIPDined on 3/9/2014Unfortunately the veal chop was overcook for my taste. The risotto was vg and the eggplant appetizer excellent.
- will not returndgmgDined on 2/22/2014Loud room, poor quality food VERY overpriced. Avoid this establishment.
- Italian - over cooked spaghetti??FulvioSADined on 2/14/2014Very disappointed with the main dish of spaghetti with baby lobster - dish was recommended by the waiter! Spaghetti was over cooked and as a result stuck together. Ate the lobster but left most of the inedible spaghetti behind. Starters and dessert were very good! Overall disappointed as the restaurant is very expensive and one should therefore be entitled to expect good quality food!Special Features:
- Overpriced and rushed serviceDoctorRDined on 2/14/2014Compared with many excellent choices for fine Italian dining in Manhattan, the quality of the food at Il Postino is far below standards but you would not recognize it from the high prices. The courses were interrupted constantly by the waiter who asked were you finished? Not a fine dining experience.
- 'As close to Milano as possible'.BanDDined on 2/13/2014The food and overall atmosphere is as close to being in Milano as possible. The food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a nice little gem. GoodStateCollegeCajunVIPDined on 2/1/2014What a nice little gem. Good Italian food-worth going there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OnTheRunOnTheRunDined on 1/31/2014We had a table for 6, everyone enjoyed their meal and the wait staff was excellent. A little pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My family and I dined hereSwetaVIPDined on 12/31/2013My family and I dined here for NYE and were expecting entertainment (DJ) as advertised, but were told upon arrival that it had been cancelled due to not enough reservations being made. It would have been nice to have received notice of this in advance of arriving so as to not be disappointed. The staff did their best to make up for the lack of party atmosphere, but even the promised price fix menu was not available. A la carte is very overpriced (mains begin at $60-70) and I would not have booked this restaurant if I had not been promised the special menu. The food was decent, but did not meet the value assigned. Del Posto is equally expensive but much better. I had hoped for more out of this experience,
- ExcellenceJohnWDined on 12/13/2013Professional service coupled with first class food. A very joy able evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly GreatZinksDined on 12/2/2013Each time I have been to this restaurant it seems to get better. Truly enjoyable amazing food and great service with a romantic touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here. Was terrific.ultimatefoodieVIPDined on 12/1/2013First time here. Was terrific. Have been many times to their sister restaurant - Scalinatella. Food was just as good. Check out the linguini and clams!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very expensive for what itPita1Dined on 11/23/2013Very expensive for what it offers. Appropriate only for business entertaining on an expense account.Special Features:
- Where real New Yorkers dine!RexFredVIPDined on 11/4/2013I have dined several times at this neighborhood stronghold ( at least once each quarter). While pricey, the service is always efficient, and well executed. The service is a step into the past, when the professionalism of a wait staff was a matter of pride, not obligation, when a tip was not presumed, rather earned. While the menu does not vary, the preparation is to perfection. This may be the best Dover Sole in town. From the auto-appetizers, to fresh made pasta, perfectly fresh seafood, and true "Plume d'Veau" veal chops, Il Postino accomplishes excellence, and avoids the tourist trap/see-and-be-seen feeling of other popular Italian "fine dining" experiences in NYC, Add one of the best selections of the wines of Italy. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much too expensive. My fishSpitzVIPDined on 10/24/2013Much too expensive. My fish was overlooked. Too much sauce on everything.
- Delicious PastagBILLYmDined on 10/13/2013The pasta dishes we enjoyed were very good, but the prices of both food and wine were surprisingly high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent with friendlysseatsDined on 10/12/2013Food was excellent with friendly service. The menu was diversified with many specials. All in our party enjoyed everything but the tab. A bit pricey for the stature of the restaurant but would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for a Special NightianjfranklinVIPDined on 10/11/2013I took my girlfriend here and met her childhood best friend and her bf for our first night in NYC. A friend who visits often on business told me this is one of his top 5 Italian restaurants in the country and this did not disappointed. Not a huge place which makes it feel a lot more intimate. The staff was of the highest level and so was their food. Will definitely be visiting againSpecial Features:
- New York StandardwklydineVIPDined on 10/10/2013We ate here in a girl trip to NYC. Everything was really great. I had eaten here 7 years ago and it was as good as I remembered. Food was great and service was greater. I will be returning, and next time will be before 7 years pass.Special Features:
- Chance to Catch UpNeighborDined on 10/10/2013A friend was in town. We wanted someplace close to my co-op, with good food, where we could linger and catch up. Il Postino was a perfect choice. The food was excellent (my friend is on a restricted diet and the staff willingly modified her selection to accommodate), the service was excellent but we didn't feel rushed. It was a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had not been to Il PostinoRemiVIPDined on 10/9/2013We had not been to Il Postino for many years when we went for lunch a week ago. The price was great (prix fix for three courses) and the food delicious. So we decided to go back with friends for dinner. It was a total disappointment. The noise level was deafening. The prices were outrageous. $35 for pasta dishes? $55 for fish dishes? $35-45 for chicken? And everything was a la carte, so the bill was outrageous. I had zucchini flowers to start, and they were heavily battered and tasteless. My pasta was more pasta than ingredients. They claimed it was bolognaise sauce with burata but the burata could not be found.. At any rate, it will be a long time (if ever) before we go back for dinner. Lunch is fine.Special Features:
- Salty food, fake italian waitersHtabbahVIPDined on 10/5/2013Ok experience, would not go back, waiters used a shortcut behind my seat to communicate with bar. Food very salty, service good enough. Menus is trying too hard to offer unusual items. My guest ordered veal Parm they delivered.a huge veal cutlet covered w cheese and sauce, could not tast anything but the cheese, not mention the high price for the cutlet Wine list is very expensive almost 90% are above $100 and many are in the $200+ Desert time waiter did not listen and had to change the desert to chocolate for all cream. Over all out 10 i would give it a 6 but would not go back
- Il Postino - Great food but noisyYeatsSisVIPDined on 10/3/2013We thought the food was terrific. However, I would only recommend this restaurant to someone who doesn't find a noisy restaurant annoying. Some of the dishes we we thought were outstanding were the ravioli, the gnocchi special, veal paillard and the pork shank. The service was wonderful! They moved us when we found the first table noisy (the second table was a little quieter but still pretty noisy). When they realized we were sharing everything they divided most of the dishes for us and served a portion to each of us on a separate plate. They even increased the number of pieces of some items so we would each get one piece.Special Features:
- The food has always been outstandinRemiVIPDined on 9/28/2013The food has always been outstanding at Il Postino. One of the best deals in town is their 3 course prix fix lunch menu. The food is as superb as it is at dinner at very reasonable prices. The only complaint I have is the long list of specials they recite at the dinner meal. No prices are quoted unless they are asked. The specials turn out to be twice the price of the same item (chicken, fish) that is on the menu. Otherwise, this is a lovely restaurant, great food and professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely lovely.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2013You know you are in for a special dinner when they put out the most delicious seafood salad and zucchini along perfect crispy homemade crisps to enjoy while reviewing the menu. Everything was fantastic. The service is knowledgeable and attentive. It's a great menu with choices perfect for foodies or plain food people. The fish was perfectly prepared and served. Eggplant parm is grilled not fried. Can't wait to go back.Special Features: