8 E. First St
Hinsdale, IL 60521Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ilpoggiolohinsdale.com/
- Phone: 6307349400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,Thursday:5:00-10:00 Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Lunch Monday- Saturday: 11:30-2:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Saul Maya
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Il Poggiolo can cater to any event. Delivery available.
- Private Party Facilities: Il Poggiolo can accomodate private events up tp 150 people
Balcony area events up to 60 guests
- Private Party Contact: Daniel Hernandez or Alex Smith 630-734-9400
- Special Events: Sundays: "Free Pasta Sunday". Kids 12yrs and under eat free pasta
Tuesday: $9 Martini's
Wednesday: Wine Down Wednesday is 25% off selected bottles of wines
A word from Il Poggiolo
Il Poggiolo is located in Hinsdale and specializes in Italian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Il Poggiolo - Best Restaurants in Hinsdale ›
Il Poggiolo reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (12)great for lunch (11)special occasion (11)romantic (8)fit for foodies (7)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Busy night?Fishfan4VIPDined on 8/28/2014Nice place ...GREAT food....was transferred around servers which were not that attentive.....appeared larger tables were being taken care of
- 2nd visitNinaJ52Dined on 8/21/2014and it was just as good as the 1st! Great vibe in this place and the food is wonderful! We will definitely being returning!Special Features:
- AlexVIPDined on 8/19/2014Garrett was excellent! & Chef Saul is amazing!!! Very knowledgable staff. Carlos & Joseph the bus boys are always awesome! Also we love Adam, Heather, Sean, Ray, Chris, Mina & Annie! The runner Danny rocks! The new AGM, Gianni is very nice & personable. Thanks Peter & Dana for another memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining and serviceloude1117Dined on 8/9/2014A great place to bring customers for dinner,we all tried a different appetizer and were very pleased with each choice. Dinner selections were good as well.We are planning another customer dinner event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need a mulliganNeptunaDined on 8/1/2014This was not a good experience. I have dined here numerous times for lunch and dinner. The restaurant was not busy at all. My friend and I were being rushed to order everything. Even when one of us was in the washroom, a waitress came to ask the other about coffee, drinks and dessert before waiting for the other to return. One waitress stood at the table while we were having a conversation, and I completely ignored her until she walked away. She had no business interrupting us while we still had food and wine we were eating. Another time, a server came a cleared my friends dinner plate which still had food on it. The place never filled up, and I can see why. If this is what dinner service has become, it will never be full again.Special Features:
- Veal Marsala not up to par.LuckyladyDined on 7/26/2014Overall the service and food were good. Had to request extra parmesan cheese 3 times, and the veal Marsala was a bit tough. Would not order that dish again, however the pork chop special with Polenta was outstanding. That being said, we had a nice dinner for 4 and would go back.Special Features:
- WeekenddinersVIPDined on 7/25/2014First time at this restaurant. Good food, great service. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/23/2014Chef does not know how to cook gluten free pasta, it was under cooked for both of our order, dinner too drawn out, 2 hours for a meal, too many tables assigned to one server
- Usually enjoyHinsdaleFoodieVIPDined on 7/10/2014I will check next time to see if they have entertainment. Although the duo was really good, the base reverberated throughout the restaurant and we had to yell at each other to be heard. Background music would be nice but this really diminished our evening enjoyment.
- A wonderful dining experience.RoseDined on 6/28/2014I've been to Il Poggiolo many times and never have been disappointed. Taken many friends and family - everyone has loved it saying they would definitely return! Service is always professional and friendly. Food is excellent.Special Features:
- yum!leroyDined on 6/21/2014The service was wonderful! The minestrone soup is a little spicy and delicious! Good wine list! Nice, quiet neighborhood restaurant!Special Features:
- Consistently good food and serviceTarheelborn1VIPDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Il Poggiolo Saturday night. The food was very good and service was attentive. The only problem was the long wait for our entrees to arrive. Drinks and soups came out very fast but the entrees seem to take a very long time as the restaurant filled up. It would be nice if they could find a way to be more efficient in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner 6/17/14DICK64VIPDined on 6/18/2014My dinner was great but my wife mentioned that fish she ordered was fair. The servers were trying very hard to do a great job but the service seemed to slow down as the restaurant and bar filled with customers. The delivery of desert seemed to take a long time. I think the menu was very creative and the wine list gave you a great deal to choose from. I'll visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High marks!Go22lakeDined on 6/13/2014Still fabulously surprising decor and overall ambiance! I'll be back again...for the 5th time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect May Eve - Italy in HinsdaleAlFrescoHinsdaleDined on 5/30/2014We dined outside, enjoying a wonderful meal in the early evening warmth and twilight. Crisp salads -- celery and date (yummy!) and traditional Caesar (with a crisp garlic crouton) -- served with fresh breads to start. Then the spaghetti alla Carbonara - authentic and indulgent. Waiter advised knowledgably on wine, offering details, not simply pushing the higher priced. AND, while we'd reserved an end table so that our puppies could sit off to the side on the stoop, away from the other guests, the pups were graciously welcomed with their own dish of ice water. Service was warm and personable. Food and wine were terrific. Sitting outside, greeting neighbors as they wandered past, a magical start to summer!Special Features:
- Try the fig pizzaTexanDined on 5/29/2014We sat outside on a gorgeous day and split a salad and fig and Gorgonzola pizza. The salad was good but not outstanding, but the pizza was amazing. The crust was very thin and crisp and the flavors were unexpected and delightful. Great with the Kim Crawford savingon blanc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal freshly made pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014We dined outside on a beautiful night. Two of us had pasta which we both agreed was among the best we'd ever had (one mushroom-infused and one carbonara). The service was terrific and we highly recommend this restaurant. We'll be back.
- Never failsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/7/2014As a local resident it is nice not to have to travel to the city for the city type ambiance. Also, they always take care of my gluten free food requirements. Tasty lovely food.Special Features:
- The following 393 reviews are from the Il Poggiolo reviews archive.
- Like this place.....Would recommendVinceOVIPDined on 5/3/2014Had a good dinner Saturday night. Lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumMeDined on 5/2/2014Impressed, satisfied, and totally pleased. Dinner was fabulous. Staff knows their jobs very well. Friendly and willing to make suggestions. Everything is made from scratch. It' deliciously obvious! This is one of my new favorites! This is one of the few places I have ever been that can pull off romantic dining and kid friendly all under the same roof. I'll be back before the week is done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemopenmineDined on 4/13/2014What a great place. Food is outstanding and the staff is great. Do not pass up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and tasteyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014This is a nice restaurant in quaint Hinsdale. The food was wonderful and the menu has many great options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful !!!!!!!!!!skipperDined on 3/28/2014My husband and I had a great dinner , we both ordered the trout ( a special that evening ) and it was outstanding!! The service from Ann our server was great !!! Love that we have such a cute spot in our village.Special Features:
- We sat upstairs where it wasMJM58Dined on 3/8/2014We sat upstairs where it was more quiet and better for conversation. Food was good and portions were very reasonable. I had the lamb shank special and my date had the veal marsala. Both were good. House salad was just ok, I would probably go with the Ceasar next time. List of wines by the glass was not huge but there were good choices available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Balcony does it rightdavidtwotreesDined on 3/8/2014I have now been to IL Poggiolo (The Balcony) twice. Once with just my wife and the second time with my wife and another couple. In my opinion, the food shines. Fresh, fresh fresh. Hand made pasta. The bread is made in house. The table olive oil is top notch. The table parmesan is top rate. All the seafood I have tasted here has been fresh. The food is outstanding. The wait staff and hostess' are young, so we have had issues both times with seating, coat check and that sort of thing. The first time there the young hostess forgot we were waiting for a table. We asked the manager and he was very apologetic and gave us a free pizza. So, all in all, we love IL Poggiolo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was highlyPattiDined on 2/21/2014This restaurant was highly recommended by my best friend. We were celebrating the closing of a huge business deal that was three years in the making. We even had drinks and wine sent to our table from friends who were vacationing in Scottsdale. The presentation of the food was lovely, but cold (should have been warm). We enjoyed the tuna dish, but the flank steak was tasteless. We were disappointed since we had heard such great things about the restaurant.
- Impressed!PatPVIPDined on 2/21/20141st visit did not disappoint! Small portico-like protected entry to curtain-shrouded large, attractive dining room reminiscent of many NYC restaurant spaces. Website (what's that infectious Italian pop song and where can I get the music?) menu lured me in for delicious fig pizza. Chef happily obliged to split nightly special and adjust the sauce for my food-sensitive companion's portion. Best surprise: delicate, made-to-order bomboloni, an Italian specialty that I also discovered in NY, which was not on website menu. I'll be back if only for that reason,but there are many more. Service impressive too. Appealing ambiance. Delightful departure from mediocre corporate-run chains that overrun Naperville. Well worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entertainment A SurpriseWillDined on 2/19/2014This is a noisy room which I have experienced more than once. On Wednesday night they had singers and so the music was louder than usual. While the singers were excellent the noise level is just too much for me. Some energetic rooms have quieter areas but not so this one. Love the food though and it is very handy.Special Features:
- Decent food, service needs helpPoggioloDined on 2/8/2014We had had take out from them before and thought the food was good. It took the "first" server 15 minutes to get a drink order from us. The table we were seated at was right in the line of fire that everyone walks by and bumbs ( second table on the back wall behind host stand). We asked the hostess to move us, after 10 minutes or so she found another table for us ( she was the only good service person beside the bussers). Next server was upstairs and couldn't have been slower. I felt like the servers either didn't care or just forgot our four top numerous times. We had to signal our servers numerous times for them to come over. The food was good but we will not go back, maybe just take out is the answer.
- Neighborhood restaurant, city feelflowercountryVIPDined on 1/18/2014Good place to say hello to neighbors and friends and to come last minute after a game or on a friday evening or with friends. The food portions are just right, not too much. Sitting below is better than above. You feel a bit out of it on the balcony but some people like it because it is easier to hear. It is a happening place. The bar scene is vibrant. It is a hip spot in the burbs. The food is good especially the pasta with meat sauce. Love that fig salad!!! Best salad anywhere. Good place to have lunch with girlfriends or a business meeting instead of CC club.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh food, mediocre serviceDogMomTravelVIPDined on 1/3/2014The food is always good/fresh, but the service is not quite up to par. Perhaps it was the slow night, but the waiter was very scarce and the speed of service was slow. In addition, the valet wasn't on duty which made things difficult given I was on crutches. So, despite the good meal, an overall disappointment given the inconvenience of no valet/need to park around the block and poor shoveling/ability to get from the car to sidewalkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceBigBMcGDined on 12/31/2013Food was fair but overpriced, wine was way out of line. ( could be because it was New Years eve ). Waiter got my entree order incorrect, never came by to check finally had to grab one of the servers to tell the waiter. By the the time my correct entree was brought out my wife was nearly finished. They discounted my entree somewhat but whenever I've experienced this at other restaurants they usually comp the entire entree. Also, we got a table near the door and it was very drafty, any time someone enters the restaurant a blast of cold air comes in. I wish the experience was better I like having good Italian restaurants in the area.
- New Year's Eve DinnerRoseDined on 12/31/2013A wonderful upscale restaurant right in the neighborhood! The food was outstanding! Our server, Gregory, was great. He was there to tell us about the specials, was knowledgeable about the menu as well as knowing that this location used to be a silent movie theater -- yet did not hover. The manager came y to make sure we were happy, and we never felt like we overstayed our welcome, which so often happens. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for lunchPWH1Dined on 12/18/2013Conveniently located in downtown Hinsdale, service was excellent and prices reasonable.Special Features:
- Shown the Door!DisappointedVIPDined on 12/17/2013We were handed our coats at 9:30. Were they closing? They might have explained instead of being rude!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and BadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013The only disappointment my wife and I had was the quality of our entrees. She had a pasta with a mushroom cream sausce that was not cooked all the way through. I had a veal and risotto special that was very disappointingly bland. We sat at the bar after dinner and had a few drinks and chatted with the bartenders. A great spot and had a great time with patrons and servers, just thought for the money the entrees should have been much better.Special Features:
- Great spot for lunchTarheelborn1VIPDined on 12/9/2013Our lunch at Ip Poggiolo was delightful. We enjoyed the pizza and Chicken salad as well as the Minestrone soup. The waitress was helpful and efficient. We felt like we had chosen the perfect place for lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal and ServiceEatLocalDined on 11/30/2013The pasta dishes here are second to none...they bring in a pasta chef who specializes in coming up with fresh, innovative dishes. Every meal I have had here is better than the last! A local favorite for me and my family.Special Features:
- Classy and Cozy...Fresh FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/30/2013The ambience is gorgeous here. The food is fresh and balanced. Both visits I've made here have been memorable in terms of all the aforementioned and the way we are treated. We happened upon this place while we were running errands in Hinsdale and now we make a special trip out from the city. We already have our third trip planned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect locationMaryJDined on 11/26/2013For those of us in the western suburbs with family in the city, it's a perfect mid-meeting place because of the train.Special Features: