8 E. First St
Hinsdale, IL 60521Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ilpoggiolohinsdale.com/
- Phone: (630) 734-9400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,Thursday:5:00-10:00 Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Lunch Monday- Saturday: 11:30-2:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Saul Maya
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Il Poggiolo can cater to any event. Delivery available.
- Private Party Facilities: Il Poggiolo can accomodate private events up tp 150 people
Balcony area events up to 60 guests
- Private Party Contact: Daniel Hernandez or Alex Smith 630-734-9400
- Special Events: Sundays: "Free Pasta Sunday". Kids 12yrs and under eat free pasta
Tuesday: $9 Martini's
Wednesday: Wine Down Wednesday is 25% off selected bottles of wines
A word from Il Poggiolo
Il Poggiolo is located in Hinsdale and specializes in Italian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Poggiolo reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)special occasion (11)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (8)romantic (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- AverageColleen56Dined on 11/1/2014We have been to this restaurant many times but this last time was very disappointing. My husband had the special sirloin which was dry and tough and my sea bass had a strange taste and I love to order sea bass. These were higher end items and it was not up to usual standards.Special Features:
- RushedSk20VIPDined on 10/27/2014Went for lunch with girlfriends, and our server couldn't wait to get rid of us! We had two $52 bottles of wine, our glasses were never re-filled, but we were asked at least 10 times if he could take our full plates away while still eating! Not impressed.
- New favorite in Hinsdalewings86Dined on 10/25/2014We dined here for the first time last night. The warm ambiance and friendly staff got things off to a good start. To start we shared the Tallegio Pizza. The crust was light and crisp and it was topped with a generous combination of taleggio cheese and mushrooms with a drizzle of truffle oil. Entrees ordered were the Chitarra Bolognese, which had a very flavorful meat ragu, Pollo Arrosto which was moist, tender and served with a delicious lemon, garlic, thyme sauce, Hanger Steak perfectly cooked and tender and Zuppa di Pesce, that was richly flavored and loaded with seafood. A request to make the Zuppa extra spicy was cheerfully accommodated. Tiramisu, the chocolate Tortino and a cranberry tart were decadent. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Food ok. Service lacking. second visitNuccDined on 10/25/2014Pasta good, but TOO al dente. Wrong drink brought twice. Had to ask for grated cheese twice. Waitress interrupted conversation instead of waiting. Overall, small things, but not as good as our first visit a while ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened here?!?AbcdVIPDined on 10/24/2014This used to be the best restaurant in the area. Not any longer. The food is still excellent, although the menu hasn't changed in ages. The manager hangs at the bar with not a glimpse of, or interest in, the dining room customers. The music, better suited for a club is deafening. Too bad Jerry isn't around, it would be a lot better.Special Features:
- A Delightful Luncheon ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014My sisters and I chose this spot for a reunion birthday celebration. (We grew up in Hinsdale and bought all our school supplies at Schweidler's, the long ago occupants of this spot.) The food was delicious, the service friendly and prompt. We were even treated to a complimentary birthday dessert complete with candle. We left with plans to make this a family tradition.Special Features:
- disappointingdiner1VIPDined on 10/11/2014waiter was very slow, and didn't check on us at all. food served, but no forks on the table. Over half the wines on the list were not available 9of course all the decent wines under $100), and the waiter made some very poor suggestions for replacements. They comped $30 off our tab, but the manager never came over to even tell us. The food overall is good, but the pasta was way too salty, almost inedible. We have had spotty service here before and we will not risk going here again.
- Very niceStellarVIPDined on 9/26/2014The homemade pasta with meat sauce was very good. The inside of the restaurant was very nice and the location was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!!!skipperVIPDined on 9/20/2014Il Poggiolo is one of our favorites. We love meeting friends for dinner there-- it so convenient for us and always a great night. The food & service is always great!!Special Features:
- Good Food & Good serviceloude1117VIPDined on 9/20/2014The appetizer offerings are very good,especially the meatballs,our server Margaret we excellent as was the bus staff. As usual Gianni was a great host.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- *** FINALLY ! ***blkwht1VIPDined on 9/13/2014Finally we had a server who matched or exceeded the great food. We had Sean E. as our server, he was charming, friendly, knowledgeable, professional, and terrific. We have dined here several times and have always liked the food, but felt the service was very hit or miss. Well, last night all the stars were aligned and we had a FAB time all the way around. Even the manager (I think his name was John) was friendly and approachable unlike the other bearded gentleman we have encountered in our previous experiences - who thinks that because they are located in downtown Hinsdale he has to act like a snooty Hinsdalean.Special Features:
- Busy night?Fishfan4VIPDined on 8/28/2014Nice place ...GREAT food....was transferred around servers which were not that attentive.....appeared larger tables were being taken care of
- 2nd visitNinaJ52Dined on 8/21/2014and it was just as good as the 1st! Great vibe in this place and the food is wonderful! We will definitely being returning!Special Features:
- AlexVIPDined on 8/19/2014Garrett was excellent! & Chef Saul is amazing!!! Very knowledgable staff. Carlos & Joseph the bus boys are always awesome! Also we love Adam, Heather, Sean, Ray, Chris, Mina & Annie! The runner Danny rocks! The new AGM, Gianni is very nice & personable. Thanks Peter & Dana for another memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining and serviceloude1117VIPDined on 8/9/2014A great place to bring customers for dinner,we all tried a different appetizer and were very pleased with each choice. Dinner selections were good as well.We are planning another customer dinner event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need a mulliganNeptunaVIPDined on 8/1/2014This was not a good experience. I have dined here numerous times for lunch and dinner. The restaurant was not busy at all. My friend and I were being rushed to order everything. Even when one of us was in the washroom, a waitress came to ask the other about coffee, drinks and dessert before waiting for the other to return. One waitress stood at the table while we were having a conversation, and I completely ignored her until she walked away. She had no business interrupting us while we still had food and wine we were eating. Another time, a server came a cleared my friends dinner plate which still had food on it. The place never filled up, and I can see why. If this is what dinner service has become, it will never be full again.Special Features:
- The following 406 reviews are from the Il Poggiolo reviews archive.
- Veal Marsala not up to par.LuckyladyDined on 7/26/2014Overall the service and food were good. Had to request extra parmesan cheese 3 times, and the veal Marsala was a bit tough. Would not order that dish again, however the pork chop special with Polenta was outstanding. That being said, we had a nice dinner for 4 and would go back.Special Features:
- WeekenddinersVIPDined on 7/25/2014First time at this restaurant. Good food, great service. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/23/2014Chef does not know how to cook gluten free pasta, it was under cooked for both of our order, dinner too drawn out, 2 hours for a meal, too many tables assigned to one server
- Usually enjoyHinsdaleFoodieVIPDined on 7/10/2014I will check next time to see if they have entertainment. Although the duo was really good, the base reverberated throughout the restaurant and we had to yell at each other to be heard. Background music would be nice but this really diminished our evening enjoyment.
- A wonderful dining experience.RoseDined on 6/28/2014I've been to Il Poggiolo many times and never have been disappointed. Taken many friends and family - everyone has loved it saying they would definitely return! Service is always professional and friendly. Food is excellent.Special Features:
- yum!leroyDined on 6/21/2014The service was wonderful! The minestrone soup is a little spicy and delicious! Good wine list! Nice, quiet neighborhood restaurant!Special Features:
- Consistently good food and serviceTarheelborn1VIPDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Il Poggiolo Saturday night. The food was very good and service was attentive. The only problem was the long wait for our entrees to arrive. Drinks and soups came out very fast but the entrees seem to take a very long time as the restaurant filled up. It would be nice if they could find a way to be more efficient in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner 6/17/14DICK64VIPDined on 6/18/2014My dinner was great but my wife mentioned that fish she ordered was fair. The servers were trying very hard to do a great job but the service seemed to slow down as the restaurant and bar filled with customers. The delivery of desert seemed to take a long time. I think the menu was very creative and the wine list gave you a great deal to choose from. I'll visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High marks!Go22lakeDined on 6/13/2014Still fabulously surprising decor and overall ambiance! I'll be back again...for the 5th time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect May Eve - Italy in HinsdaleAlFrescoHinsdaleDined on 5/30/2014We dined outside, enjoying a wonderful meal in the early evening warmth and twilight. Crisp salads -- celery and date (yummy!) and traditional Caesar (with a crisp garlic crouton) -- served with fresh breads to start. Then the spaghetti alla Carbonara - authentic and indulgent. Waiter advised knowledgably on wine, offering details, not simply pushing the higher priced. AND, while we'd reserved an end table so that our puppies could sit off to the side on the stoop, away from the other guests, the pups were graciously welcomed with their own dish of ice water. Service was warm and personable. Food and wine were terrific. Sitting outside, greeting neighbors as they wandered past, a magical start to summer!Special Features:
- Try the fig pizzaTexanDined on 5/29/2014We sat outside on a gorgeous day and split a salad and fig and Gorgonzola pizza. The salad was good but not outstanding, but the pizza was amazing. The crust was very thin and crisp and the flavors were unexpected and delightful. Great with the Kim Crawford savingon blanc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal freshly made pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014We dined outside on a beautiful night. Two of us had pasta which we both agreed was among the best we'd ever had (one mushroom-infused and one carbonara). The service was terrific and we highly recommend this restaurant. We'll be back.
- Never failsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/7/2014As a local resident it is nice not to have to travel to the city for the city type ambiance. Also, they always take care of my gluten free food requirements. Tasty lovely food.Special Features:
- Like this place.....Would recommendVinceOVIPDined on 5/3/2014Had a good dinner Saturday night. Lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumMeDined on 5/2/2014Impressed, satisfied, and totally pleased. Dinner was fabulous. Staff knows their jobs very well. Friendly and willing to make suggestions. Everything is made from scratch. It' deliciously obvious! This is one of my new favorites! This is one of the few places I have ever been that can pull off romantic dining and kid friendly all under the same roof. I'll be back before the week is done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemopenmineDined on 4/13/2014What a great place. Food is outstanding and the staff is great. Do not pass up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and tasteyFromOakParkDined on 4/5/2014This is a nice restaurant in quaint Hinsdale. The food was wonderful and the menu has many great options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful !!!!!!!!!!skipperVIPDined on 3/28/2014My husband and I had a great dinner , we both ordered the trout ( a special that evening ) and it was outstanding!! The service from Ann our server was great !!! Love that we have such a cute spot in our village.Special Features:
- We sat upstairs where it wasMJM58Dined on 3/8/2014We sat upstairs where it was more quiet and better for conversation. Food was good and portions were very reasonable. I had the lamb shank special and my date had the veal marsala. Both were good. House salad was just ok, I would probably go with the Ceasar next time. List of wines by the glass was not huge but there were good choices available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Balcony does it rightdavidtwotreesDined on 3/8/2014I have now been to IL Poggiolo (The Balcony) twice. Once with just my wife and the second time with my wife and another couple. In my opinion, the food shines. Fresh, fresh fresh. Hand made pasta. The bread is made in house. The table olive oil is top notch. The table parmesan is top rate. All the seafood I have tasted here has been fresh. The food is outstanding. The wait staff and hostess' are young, so we have had issues both times with seating, coat check and that sort of thing. The first time there the young hostess forgot we were waiting for a table. We asked the manager and he was very apologetic and gave us a free pizza. So, all in all, we love IL Poggiolo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was highlyPattiDined on 2/21/2014This restaurant was highly recommended by my best friend. We were celebrating the closing of a huge business deal that was three years in the making. We even had drinks and wine sent to our table from friends who were vacationing in Scottsdale. The presentation of the food was lovely, but cold (should have been warm). We enjoyed the tuna dish, but the flank steak was tasteless. We were disappointed since we had heard such great things about the restaurant.
- Impressed!PatPVIPDined on 2/21/20141st visit did not disappoint! Small portico-like protected entry to curtain-shrouded large, attractive dining room reminiscent of many NYC restaurant spaces. Website (what's that infectious Italian pop song and where can I get the music?) menu lured me in for delicious fig pizza. Chef happily obliged to split nightly special and adjust the sauce for my food-sensitive companion's portion. Best surprise: delicate, made-to-order bomboloni, an Italian specialty that I also discovered in NY, which was not on website menu. I'll be back if only for that reason,but there are many more. Service impressive too. Appealing ambiance. Delightful departure from mediocre corporate-run chains that overrun Naperville. Well worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entertainment A SurpriseWillDined on 2/19/2014This is a noisy room which I have experienced more than once. On Wednesday night they had singers and so the music was louder than usual. While the singers were excellent the noise level is just too much for me. Some energetic rooms have quieter areas but not so this one. Love the food though and it is very handy.Special Features:
- Decent food, service needs helpPoggioloDined on 2/8/2014We had had take out from them before and thought the food was good. It took the "first" server 15 minutes to get a drink order from us. The table we were seated at was right in the line of fire that everyone walks by and bumbs ( second table on the back wall behind host stand). We asked the hostess to move us, after 10 minutes or so she found another table for us ( she was the only good service person beside the bussers). Next server was upstairs and couldn't have been slower. I felt like the servers either didn't care or just forgot our four top numerous times. We had to signal our servers numerous times for them to come over. The food was good but we will not go back, maybe just take out is the answer.