Il Pizzaiolo - Pittsburgh
8 Market Square
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Il Pizzaiolo - Pittsburgh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilpizzaiolo.com/
- Phone: 4125755858
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sphatt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Il Pizzaiolo - Pittsburgh
When Il Pizzaiolo opened in 1996 we started with a simple credo: create Neapolitan pizza using old-world techniques and using the highest-quality ingredients available. Today, we hand-make nearly everything on the menu - from sweet fennel sausage, meatballs and pasta, to mozzarella and antipasto vegetables. If we don't hand-make it, it's imported from the best artisans, cheese makers and salumeria in the world. Our Mozzarella di bufala comes direct from Naples and we cook Pasta Faella; the best dried pasta in the world, always to order, always al dente. We bake our pizzas at 1000 degrees in a handcrafted, wood-fired brick oven for less than 90 seconds using perfectly leavened dough, San Marzano tomatoes, and extra virgin olive oil. The result is an authentic Neapolitan culinary experience with integrity. Buon Appetito!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Il Pizzaiolo - Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Il Pizzaiolo - Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (85)fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (56)great for lunch (46)special occasion (39)hot spot (38)notable wine list (32)romantic (31)scenic view (26)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (11)good for groups (11)great for brunch (7)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Great food, great ambiance, extremely knowledgeable and attentive waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta not cooked and pizza blandNoterriousDined on 8/26/2014I had the Pasta with clams, olive oil and parsley. The noodles were about 50% cooked. I like my pasta Al dente but this was ridiculous. I didn't mention anything to the waitress but should have. I'm sure they would have made it again. I was too hungry to be bothered. I'd order a different pizza next time too. I had the one with prosciutto and arugula and it tasted bland. I loved the outdoor seating and its a great place to people watch. I will go back to try again.Special Features:
- A taste of ItalyKaylala3323Dined on 8/26/2014Truly amazing food that keeps you coming back. Wood fire thin pizzas, homemade pastas, and cheeses sent from Italy weekly. Can't go wrong. Absolutely love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza in town.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014True Neapolitan pizza. Simple, authentic ingredients and restrained preparations.Special Features:
- Great foodSusannah61VIPDined on 8/20/2014The food was fantastic. The restaurant came highly recommended, and we were really looking forward to it. The restaurant couldn't find our reservation, which was disappointing, but they were able to seat us anyway. We loved the neapolitan vegetables, and the pizzas. We plan to return.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Sunday EveningDaisyDined on 8/17/2014Delighted to find this restaurant open on Sunday - sometimes its hard to find a restaurant open on that day. The restaurant was filled, Market Square was active. I had friends in from out of town and we enjoyed outside dining. Great server who accommodated our every wish. Food was great - everything went perfectly.Special Features:
- Nice findPGHDiner7Dined on 8/11/2014Food was very fresh and flavorful. The pizza we had was "Italy" traditional in style with a crust that was slighly crunchy but light and airy at the same time. The eggplant parm was the best we have ever had it was cooked to perfection with a perfect blend of flavors. Our server Brian was top notch having been a former waiter he did everything perfectly. We will be back for sure.
- great experienceunlikelyVIPDined on 8/10/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Il Pizzaiolo. The food was very good, but what made our experience special was the attention we received from the staff. Vanessa and others went out of their way to make us feel welcome and her knowledge of the menu and wine list was unsurpassed. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Good food-ok wine-terrible servicelovegoodfoodDined on 8/9/2014We arrived a little early, but were seated immediately. After bringing our wine and taking our order, our waiter never came back. Our dinner was delivered by someone else. We were never asked how our meal was, didn't know there were any specials until we heard the waiter telling another table. We asked for bread but were told they were out....at 8 pm on a Saturday night? After finishing our meal, I had to call the manager over to remove our dishes. He did comp our meals, but the whole experience was not pleasant.Special Features:
- fortheloveoffoodDined on 8/8/2014Our table had 2 pizzas and a salad. The pizzas were above average authentic italian thin crust pizza. The salad looked like it was spring mix thrown on a plate with two tomatoes. Our waitress looked uninterested and annoyed to be serving us.Special Features:
- Love the grilled vegi platter!GFVegiDined on 8/4/2014I am a Gluten Free Vegetarian and I wanted to say that the vegi platter and salads are a great option. I am still hoping for the day they offer GF pizza and pasta... but for now I am able to wine/dine in this cool location.Special Features:
- autumnDined on 8/1/2014the waiter we had was very knowledgeable about the cuisine and recommended his favorites which was excellentSpecial Features:
- Great Spot on Market SquarePittsburghConsultantVIPDined on 7/30/2014Sitting outside at Il Pizzaiola was a great place to have a business lunch and be part of all the activity on Market Square. Salads were unique and delicious. Wood-fired pizzas were to die for. Look forward to having another reason to meet clients there.Special Features:
- BEST ITALIAN FOOD IN PITTSBURGH2foodiesDined on 7/29/2014Food was outstanding. And our friends tell us it is consistently so. The calamari was delicate and done perfectly. The gnocchi with wild boar was great. The branzino (fish) was done the way I remember it in fine restaurants in Italy. The food can stand up to the finest restaurants anywhere. We were there on a Tuesday night and it was busy. The server was pleasant but not attentive and there were long waits for everything, including taking our order, delivering the drinks, the food, and even the bill. She seemed oblivious. Perhaps the other servers are better and I would not eliminate this fine restaurant based on this negative service experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Practically perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The service here has greatly improved from previous visits. Our waitress offered suggestions on food and wine and was attentive without being obsequious. And the food is still top notch. The atmosphere was noisy, but usually just because people were having a lot of fun.Special Features:
- All hypeFoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food was average, service was ostentatious, but the cannoli was one of the best I've had. I'll return to get the cannoli to go.Special Features:
- pizzaloverpizzaloverDined on 7/12/2014Loved the food, shared appetizers all of them great. My friend had the meatballs and said they were delicious. The atmosphere was casual and comfortable. I loved the look of the bar. The service was great, server was attentive and friendly. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014I was able to book online with ease. As always, the food was great. We were able to enjoy very nice weather by sitting on the patio. That was a request I put in when I booked online and they honored that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014My husband and I were there with friends. Each of us had a different pizza and shared. All of them were wonderful. Can't wait to go back and try 4 more.Special Features:
- Food was just oker15VIPDined on 7/7/2014Nice place, great service...very small portions and expensive, particularly since food was just ok.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/7/2014The food is decent but not a place to go for a business dinner as it is too loud.
- Wrong EntreeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/6/2014A companion and I dined here last Sunday and ordered two appetizers, two entrees and a $110 bottle of wine. The appetizers were very good, but when the entrees arrived, my companion was given the wrong dish. We informed the waiter and he realized and admitted his mistake. We had to wait roughly 20 minutes for replacements for both our entrees to arrive so we could dine together. When the bill came, we expected some kind of compensation for the waiter's mistake, at the very least, my companion's entree should have been comped; if not both of our entrees for having to wait an extra 20 minutes. Given our wine choice, they didn't lose any money on us. I told the waiter as much and he offered to talk to his manager but the damage was done.Special Features:
- Fantastic food but service so sochilpepp4Dined on 6/30/2014The food here was amazing, everything was super fresh and cooked perfectly. The service though was pretty bad, we were served our main courses before they brought out our drinks, no one came around to refill our glasses, or check on us. But, the food made up for it, I would definately go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sandymbVIPDined on 6/30/2014We took our daughter here for her birthday. The wine choices were very nice. We all had our own dinners and shared the meatball appetizer. The meatballs are fantastic. We were seated in the back corner booth and the service was a little slow. We went elsewhere for dessert.Special Features:
- Very good....but we won't go backTrollopianVIPDined on 6/29/2014The noise level was deafening. We couldn't hear each other or our server, and ended up skipping coffee and dessert (which we would have enjoyed) in favor of carrying on a conversation elsewhere.
- Wonderful eveningwwallydocDined on 6/29/2014Nothing bad here. Fresh made food. Delicious in every way. Enjoyed sitting outside. Very small place, so good to make a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pizza!!DineOutDined on 6/29/2014Their pizza is authentic and delicious! Also had the ravioli and it was outstanding. Open Sundays and is great to visit while enjoying all that Pittsburgh has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pizza and pastavhinpghVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food was very good. The restaurant has a fun and energetic atmosphere but can get kind of noisy. I would come back.
- Good food - slow servicemsc29Dined on 6/27/2014If you are in a rush over lunch this is not the place to go. The service was very slow and didn't seem like the waiter was overly busy. The food however was excellent when it came out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealrkdrDined on 6/25/2014This was my first time at Il Pizzaiolo and I was very happy with the food, service and atmosphere. I would definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Had dinner there on6/21/14...the food was delicious! I've been to Italy many times and the ambience they've created is authentic.Special Features:
- Great eveningHpyHrDined on 6/20/2014In town for the weekend, and had dinner on a Friday night. Great pasta, outstanding service (Casey).Special Features:
- Lunch with a colleagueJP1234Dined on 6/20/2014I have eaten at Il Pizzaiolo several times, both downtown and in Mt. Lebanon and have always really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. However, this lunch was somewhat disappointing and mostly it was do to the excessive noise. I had lunch with a colleague and we ate inside (which I thought would be better than the patio because of the live music on market square). However, we were seated upstairs and it was equally loud do to the three televisions showing the world cup games. The TV was so loud, my colleague and I could not have a conversation. I was so annoyed with the loudness of the space that I didn't enjoy my food. Salad dressing on the field greens salad was excessively sour and the pizza which I generally love was not tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like RomeBurghManDined on 6/17/2014Whenever I go to this restaurant, it's easy to imagine that I have taken a quick trip back to Rome. Great food. Lively atmosphere. The hard part is leaving at the end of the meal. BTW: Great coffee.Special Features:
- Love it~L2theCDined on 6/17/2014Great spot in market square. A shared pizza & salad can't be beat. Fun vibrant atmosphere. A little pricey for lunch but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dawnyDined on 6/17/2014We only had their antipasta and split a pizza..and both were delicious. We also split dessert which was good. The food entrees coming out looked amazing! Will definitely go back and dine - possibly for dinner before or after a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico!NewYorkerDined on 6/15/2014Had our Father's Day dinner at this restaurant, and very possibly the most memorable Father's Day meal of all time. Food was superb (variety of pizzas and salads and desserts). Our waitress was warm, friendly and accommodating -- clearly added to the experience! A wonderful food fantasy from start to finish!Special Features:
- Very enjoyableCofactorsDined on 6/12/2014Great atmosphere & decor - just what Market Square needed! But the best part is the food - perfectly prepared fresh ingredients. Great service. Looking forward to my next visut!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keep going backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/10/2014Il Pizzaiolo has never disappointed. Staff has been accommodating and flexible even when no seats appeared available, they moved things about to get us in. Pizza is excellent and I highly recommend the prosciutto and mozzzarella board. My favorite entree is the veal milanese that they do with bone in.Special Features:
- Best pizzaStatiaDined on 6/9/2014Whenever visiting Pittsburgh, this place is a must! The food is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.