Il Pizzaiolo - Pittsburgh
8 Market Square
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Il Pizzaiolo - Pittsburgh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilpizzaiolo.com/
- Phone: (412) 575-5858
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sphatt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Il Pizzaiolo - Pittsburgh
When Il Pizzaiolo opened in 1996 we started with a simple credo: create Neapolitan pizza using old-world techniques and using the highest-quality ingredients available. Today, we hand-make nearly everything on the menu - from sweet fennel sausage, meatballs and pasta, to mozzarella and antipasto vegetables. If we don't hand-make it, it's imported from the best artisans, cheese makers and salumeria in the world. Our Mozzarella di bufala comes direct from Naples and we cook Pasta Faella; the best dried pasta in the world, always to order, always al dente. We bake our pizzas at 1000 degrees in a handcrafted, wood-fired brick oven for less than 90 seconds using perfectly leavened dough, San Marzano tomatoes, and extra virgin olive oil. The result is an authentic Neapolitan culinary experience with integrity. Buon Appetito!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Il Pizzaiolo - Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Il Pizzaiolo - Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (64)great for outdoor dining (59)hot spot (49)neighborhood gem (45)notable wine list (41)great for lunch (39)special occasion (36)romantic (28)good for groups (21)scenic view (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (10)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Il Pizzaiolo Market SquarePeteVIPDined on 11/24/2014As always it was a great time. Excellent pizzas, meatballs, very good Italian wine and beer list. The wait staff as always are terrific. I usually get an entree, and they are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work lunchgmc5960VIPDined on 11/24/2014Dinner with 4 coworkers for lunch. All had different pizzas. All were pleased and left with some leftovers. We sat right next to the kitchen area. This was likely the noisest table in the place which made conversation a little hard. Will be returning and asking for a different table. Beautiful interior. Hope to make it back when weather will allow for outdoor seating which overlooks the hustle and bustle of Market Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantFletchDined on 11/22/2014Great food, great service, good price and over wonderful atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Lunch at il pizzaiolo. Excellent gnocchi and meatballs!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014Authentic Italian delicious food and wine! Great service and knowledge about menu, ingredients, wines, etc.Special Features:
- Definitely will returnCdbankerDined on 11/2/2014We were seated upstairs as the crowd left for the Steelers game, so I bet it was a bit noisier. By the time we were finishing, a group of 30somethings celebrating a special occasion joined us. The first floor seemed busier overall, but we had a great view of Market Square and a delightful time. The food was delicious, the wine and bier selection Italian and interesting and the service knowledgeable, friendly and attentive but not obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lemony LunchDiningDivaVIPDined on 10/29/2014My friend was craving the Lemon Chicken, so we celebrated her birthday at Il Pizzaiolo. The place was packed, buzzing with conversation and laughter, and our mouths were watering at the aromas coming from the tables next to us. Our waiter was extremely nice, and we enjoyed a salad before the much anticipated lemon chicken arrived. It was delicious - the perfect lemon zing over tender, moist chicken. The dish came with broccoli rabe, done el dente, and also delicious. But no meal there is complete without a cappucino. It was the perfect end to a perfect meal, and a happy birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Family FavoriteDisneyFan05Dined on 10/26/2014The food is fantastic with great service to match. Our favorite spot before a show or sporting event.Special Features:
- It was terrible!PACOPACODined on 10/23/2014I ask for and nothing was available except a $17 a glass wine that the glass was half filled. I waite over an hour for the main course, but walked out bcuase everyone had left. The anti pasto was with no olive oil avalabke. the bread was a cross between Indian andPita. Blown up pizza dough. The waiters were nowhere to be found. It is the worst restaurant I ahve eaten in all my world travels. Please get it off your list. it has been in Pittsburgh since 1996 I think, Why i do not know. The chicken and sausage that i saw coming out finally was a small dish and nothing like my Mom made when I was a child..one look and I knew I would want to eat it. The wine I got a Barbaresco, my favoite wa bland and poor--$17..someone should shut this place down! It is a phoney "Italian " restaurant that does a disservice to what Pittsburgh can offer. God it was BAD!!!
- Excellent FiodLuv2dineDined on 10/22/2014The food was excellent during our visit. I was in a group of 5, it was alittle loud upstairs by the bar but other than that our dinner was wonderful and our server Brian was excellent also!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but could be betterJVEZD8VIPDined on 10/19/2014This place has a talented chef, but several things were just slightly off. Our two pasta dishes were very tasty, but the pasta was slightly undercooked on both (and I like my pasta al dente), plus the food wasn't as warm as it should have been. The calamari appetizer was tasty and dessert was OK, but nothing special. The service was slow; it took a very long time to get our order taken and they forgot to bring bread to the table. I wouldn't exactly call the waiter friendly. Good wine selection. This place has the potential to be terrific with just a little more effort. I'd give it a second try if I returned to Pittsburgh.
- lunchreginaVIPDined on 10/14/2014Love the flavor of the pizzas but the tomatoes made the Margarita pizza a little wet. Maybe drain a little. Otherwise very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta was tasty.SiouxZQDined on 10/12/2014It was nice to visit an Italian restaurant that offers traditional Italian food other than the Olive Garden. The ingredients in the pasta dishes we had were fresh and full of flavor. I ordered a special, Sunday only meal that featured braciola, sausage, a meatball, and a pasta with red sauce. All were good. The stuffing in the braciola was something I had never tasted, savory and sweet. The sausage was dry and so was the meat portion of the braciola and all could have benefitted from extra sauce. My pasta portion was oversized, which was a plus because my companion's portion of bolognese was not large enough to be satisfying so we shared my extra's. I absolutely loved the meatball and the fresh bread. Would definitely go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSusannah61VIPDined on 10/10/2014This was our second trip, and it was just as good. Although we arrived early they were able to seat us. Service was great, even though they were very busy. The food--antipasta, pasta, chicken--was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid week diningDnl815Dined on 10/9/2014For a Thursday night, the vibe was terrific. One of the best negroni's in town. Meatballs are a favorite. Hard to find a better pan seared veal chop. Very reasonable pricing including winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014Great experience as usual. Veal with eggplant was a little tough, but delicious nonetheless. Caesar and pizza were both on point. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but high pricedJonathanVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food is good, but the prices are way too high. $17 for a calzone or individual pizza is a bit much. Wine is way over priced between 3 and 4 times retail. No different than Mt. Lebo.
- dinner before showphylbobDined on 10/1/2014This is a very good place to consider before 1 of the shows in downtown Pgh. or any time in the area...(Market Square IS a neighborhood gem).....Our eggplant parmesan was very good and waitress was very responsive.....Special Features:
- burghfoodieDined on 9/30/2014Outstanding food.....this is real Italian at its best. The calamari appetizer was perfectly tender. Main course of gnocchi was amazing....light as air gnocchi served with a subtle marinara sauce. Additional main course of pasta amatriciana was equally amazing....this dish has heat that starts out very subtly and then just bursts in your mouth. Amazing dinner. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014I have always loved the food at this restaurant. We were dissapointed this time with the service and the food. Our waiter was very busy so I dont blame him. I hate when the entrees are brought out and you still have a dirty table from the appetizers. The person bringing out the entrees didnt even offer to clean the table. I had to start handing her everything before she left. My pasta dish which I usually love was so salty I could barely eat it. My husband wanted them to make just veal and peppers just sauteed. They brought him a veal chop, not what he ordered at all. I will go back just wondered if Sunday night is a tough night to dine out thereSpecial Features:
- 6burghfoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Food was delicious and our waiter was very friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. My only complaint was that the tables are too close together. we had a table for two next to a table of 6 people...really designed to seat 4..and they kept infringing on our space since they were cramped into a table of four. I could barely have a conversation since it was impossible to hear with the crowded table next to us. It felt like I was having dinner with 6 total strangers, which was not very comfortable. Usually I like to relax after a great meal with a coffee or dessert but I was anxious to leave and have some quiet time away from the noisy crowded table. Will not be returning anytime soon unless a table preference with more space is offered.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Pizzaoli reviewBusterDined on 9/23/2014Great restaurant. Excellent food, homemade pasta. Nice wine list. Crowded for a Tuesday night but got seated right away since I was on Opentable Reservations. Excellent waitress overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodobdineDined on 9/23/2014another great dish with great service. The outside table was great on a wonderful night to be in Market Square. I have never seen the square looking better. Back to the food, i have to eat basically salt free and they were able to customize the dishes for me. as an appetizer, the calamari was switched to grilled with hot peppers for my diet. It was huge amount but I kept eating all of it. the Fennell sea bass was spectacular. So tasty with the lemony taste of the fennel. The dessert was a good, rum cake which yes had sodium, but I knew it. I could splurge. It was a subtle but distinctive taste with whipped cream and berries. The service was excellent and everything was provided on a timely basis even my special requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianFoodieJulDined on 9/18/2014Il Pizziaolo is my go-to for Italian food and wood fired pizza in Pittsburgh.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The food and service was absolutely outstanding! I would recommend this place to just about anyoneSpecial Features:
- So so diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The food was not that super. I guess I just don't like authentic Italian food. The meatballs were delicious but my pizza had barely any cheese on it. They don't offer extra cheese to sprinkle on either. I guess I could have asked but I feel that is something that should be on the table or offered. Small portions as well.Special Features:
- Great Addition to Market SquareMrWfoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014The best authentic Italian food in Pittsburgh. You can tell they use nothing but the greatest of ingredients. We started with the Soup of the day, Polpettines and Antipasto Napoli. We then had the Linguine Alle Vongole and a Margherita Pizza. Great Wine Bar featuring Italian wines.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant but InconsistentHpyHrDined on 9/12/2014We have eaten at this restaurant a couple of times while visiting Pittsburgh. Typically we had appetizers and pizza and we were fortunate to sit outside or in the lower level of the restaurant. Our recent visit in September was disappointing. While the appetizers were still delicious and generous, and the recommended wine also very good, the main courses were disappointing. I had a traditional veal disk and the veal was tough and over cooked. My husband had a disappointing squash ravioli. If you are a fan of thick ravioli, then you may love Il Pizzaiolo's raviolis. The Also the upstairs room where we ate was very noisy and quite cold. The best part of the night was our wonderful server. We will go back but stick to pizza.Special Features:
- Great food & servicetamsterDined on 8/31/2014My meeting companions and I thoroughly enjoyed the appetizers, entrees and desserts our waiter suggested for us. We were left alone to conduct our business but our server promptly appeared whenever we needed anything. My first trip to your restaurant will not be my last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentABCDDined on 8/28/2014Great food, great ambiance, extremely knowledgeable and attentive waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta not cooked and pizza blandNoterriousVIPDined on 8/26/2014I had the Pasta with clams, olive oil and parsley. The noodles were about 50% cooked. I like my pasta Al dente but this was ridiculous. I didn't mention anything to the waitress but should have. I'm sure they would have made it again. I was too hungry to be bothered. I'd order a different pizza next time too. I had the one with prosciutto and arugula and it tasted bland. I loved the outdoor seating and its a great place to people watch. I will go back to try again.Special Features:
- A taste of ItalyKaylala3323Dined on 8/26/2014Truly amazing food that keeps you coming back. Wood fire thin pizzas, homemade pastas, and cheeses sent from Italy weekly. Can't go wrong. Absolutely love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza in town.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014True Neapolitan pizza. Simple, authentic ingredients and restrained preparations.Special Features:
- Great foodSusannah61VIPDined on 8/20/2014The food was fantastic. The restaurant came highly recommended, and we were really looking forward to it. The restaurant couldn't find our reservation, which was disappointing, but they were able to seat us anyway. We loved the neapolitan vegetables, and the pizzas. We plan to return.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Sunday EveningDaisyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Delighted to find this restaurant open on Sunday - sometimes its hard to find a restaurant open on that day. The restaurant was filled, Market Square was active. I had friends in from out of town and we enjoyed outside dining. Great server who accommodated our every wish. Food was great - everything went perfectly.Special Features:
- Nice findPGHDiner7Dined on 8/11/2014Food was very fresh and flavorful. The pizza we had was "Italy" traditional in style with a crust that was slighly crunchy but light and airy at the same time. The eggplant parm was the best we have ever had it was cooked to perfection with a perfect blend of flavors. Our server Brian was top notch having been a former waiter he did everything perfectly. We will be back for sure.
- great experienceunlikelyVIPDined on 8/10/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Il Pizzaiolo. The food was very good, but what made our experience special was the attention we received from the staff. Vanessa and others went out of their way to make us feel welcome and her knowledge of the menu and wine list was unsurpassed. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Good food-ok wine-terrible servicelovegoodfoodDined on 8/9/2014We arrived a little early, but were seated immediately. After bringing our wine and taking our order, our waiter never came back. Our dinner was delivered by someone else. We were never asked how our meal was, didn't know there were any specials until we heard the waiter telling another table. We asked for bread but were told they were out....at 8 pm on a Saturday night? After finishing our meal, I had to call the manager over to remove our dishes. He did comp our meals, but the whole experience was not pleasant.Special Features:
- fortheloveoffoodDined on 8/8/2014Our table had 2 pizzas and a salad. The pizzas were above average authentic italian thin crust pizza. The salad looked like it was spring mix thrown on a plate with two tomatoes. Our waitress looked uninterested and annoyed to be serving us.Special Features:
- Love the grilled vegi platter!GFVegiDined on 8/4/2014I am a Gluten Free Vegetarian and I wanted to say that the vegi platter and salads are a great option. I am still hoping for the day they offer GF pizza and pasta... but for now I am able to wine/dine in this cool location.Special Features: